Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
I figured out why my marks dwarf were not training properly. Looks like you have to add

"train 1 minimum" x Number of dwarf in your squad. (I used to have it "train 10 minimum")

In schedule-orders menu for each month.

:angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Does anyone have an embark profile they like to use that they don't mind sharing? I started a boring 2x3 embark and can't decide how to start out. I haven't played in a number of releases.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Kirs posted:

I figured out why my marks dwarf were not training properly. Looks like you have to add

"train 1 minimum" x Number of dwarf in your squad. (I used to have it "train 10 minimum")

In schedule-orders menu for each month.

:angel:

My marksdwarfs are training just fine with the default orders, actually.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Mygna posted:

My marksdwarfs are training just fine with the default orders, actually.

Carp. :mad:

But do they train shooting or melee? I red that is a bad idea to place something other than archertargets in their barracks.

Kirs fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 22, 2016

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
They alternate between individual combat drills and demonstrations at the regular barracks defined from a weapon rack, and actual archery practice at the targets.

I actually kind of suspect that there's an inevitable delay before marksdwarfs will start doing archery practice in addition to combat training, just like melee squads will do a bunch of demonstrations and lectures before starting with actual sparring matches, but maybe I'm just imagining that and getting lucky :shrug:

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

IAmTheRad posted:

The interface for the game is bad. It needs to be redone.

To train your military is really stupid.
The squad needs to be set to Active in order for them to train in the alerts panel. When you query a place for a barracks, you need to choose the squad and use the 't' key to set that drat squad to train. You'd think that just setting a barracks to a squad will make them train, but that would be to easy. You can't use the squad orders to get them to train. Inactive soldiers sometimes might go and train on their own.

Also make sure to properly designate arrow targets. Make sure they're shooting at them from the right direction. Each archery target counts as their own "room" but it's okay for the floorplan for them to overlap. I just don't recommend your soldiers shoot across the hall to each other. Unless you really want them to.

Also for archery target "rooms" make sure to leave 1 extra space behind where the archers would fire from.

For example if the archer is firing from left to right:

code:
W = wall
. = floor
, = floor w/ archery target assignment
X = archery target

This will work:
WWWWWWWWWW
. . , , , X
WWWWWWWWWW

This will not work:

W . WWWWWW
W , , , , X
WWWWWWWW

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 22, 2016

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

code:
W = wall
. = floor
, = floor w/ archery target assignment
X = archery target
@ = dwarf

WWWWWWW   WWWWWWWW
WWWWX ,@,. . . . W
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

For some reasons my dwarf do this. From time to time. 1 tile from the target.

I guess all my questions are just because I forgot some tiny little option to turn on\off, while I think it's all OK.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Can a catapult built on top of a hill attack enemies at the bottom of a hill? I know marksdwarves can attack visible enemies at lower z-levels, but I'm not sure about siege engines.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

By default, siege weapons are totally dumbfire. They shoot level and in the cardinal compass directions.

Using the siege engine DFHack plugin, you might. They're still not capable of indirect fire, but they can target stuff like archers do.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Does the current Dwarf Fortress version react well to messing around with generated, active world files? I'm a few years into a modded human town game and it's starting to dawn on me that the annual human caravan will only ever bring small quantities of stone blocks, when it's unprocessed stone that I need (for mechanisms, mostly). Since I like my fortress location and the overall situation of the generated world (I'm the last remaining human settlement anywhere), I'd prefer not having to restart from scratch.

Is there a way to add for example a reaction to the mason's workshop that converts any stone blocks into 'raw' granite? Doesn't matter if it's clumsy or 'cheaty' in its implementation - Any kind of band-aid fix is better than never getting any more stone ever.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

A god of valor, war, death, suicide, fame, and rumors, the ultimate adventurer-god.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Gimmick Account posted:

Does the current Dwarf Fortress version react well to messing around with generated, active world files? I'm a few years into a modded human town game and it's starting to dawn on me that the annual human caravan will only ever bring small quantities of stone blocks, when it's unprocessed stone that I need (for mechanisms, mostly). Since I like my fortress location and the overall situation of the generated world (I'm the last remaining human settlement anywhere), I'd prefer not having to restart from scratch.

Is there a way to add for example a reaction to the mason's workshop that converts any stone blocks into 'raw' granite? Doesn't matter if it's clumsy or 'cheaty' in its implementation - Any kind of band-aid fix is better than never getting any more stone ever.

I think you need dfhack as well to run some "reload raws from save file" command or the changes won't get picked up. I'm not sure if adding/removing reactions will work for an in-progress game but its worth a shot?

I don't know how to make custom reactions so I can't help you there.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

necrotic posted:

I think you need dfhack as well to run some "reload raws from save file" command or the changes won't get picked up. I'm not sure if adding/removing reactions will work for an in-progress game but its worth a shot?

I don't know how to make custom reactions so I can't help you there.

If dfhack is required, I can probably forget about it. Never used that program, but from what I've read it apparently doesn't play well with modifications? Too bad, if true.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Gimmick Account posted:

Adding new reactions into an ongoing save might be technically possible with DFHack, but I can see enough moving parts in the ordeal that I don't even want to try.

However, altering existing ones is perfectly fine. I'm sure there's at least one glazing, jugmaking or some other sort of reaction that you won't miss, just rip out its guts and write a rock cheat in its place.

[REACTION:MAKE_CLAY_JUG]
[NAME:restore blocks to rocks]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
[REAGENT:bricks:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:bricks:NONE]
[SKILL:MASON]

There's a suggestion. Man, did I write this right? I'm feeling really rusty.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

scamtank posted:

Adding new reactions into an ongoing save might be technically possible with DFHack, but I can see enough moving parts in the ordeal that I don't even want to try.

However, altering existing ones is perfectly fine. I'm sure there's at least one glazing, jugmaking or some other sort of reaction that you won't miss, just rip out its guts and write a rock cheat in its place.

[REACTION:MAKE_CLAY_JUG]
[NAME:restore blocks to rocks]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
[REAGENT:bricks:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:bricks:NONE]
[SKILL:MASON]

There's a suggestion. Man, did I write this right? I'm feeling really rusty.

That does sound like a solution! I won't be able to try it out tonight, but I'll report back as soon as I can get to it. Thank you! :)

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It looks like with the new locations nobody gives a drat about zoos, statue gardens or memorial gardens anymore? :( Even the children aren't bothering to visit. Come on, look at all my cool statues, they are tastefully arranged and everything.

In other news, dorf engineers may have invaded earth.

Thats why you disable aquifers in the LNP, gently caress dealing with this.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does a dwarf have to have a scholar job to write books or can anyone swing by the library and write something?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I can't wait for Dwarf Hatfields vs. Goblin McCoys to spiral into a world war.

Toady posted:

This week was work on underlying mechanics in support of artifact claims. The main interesting addition was a sort of family placeholder mechanic to make heirlooms work. The initial couples all get associated family structures, and then those links are passed along to the children and so forth. Of course, this opens up all kinds of world-determining issues, depending on how marriage interacts with family membership and which child has which inheritance rights over heirlooms etc etc etc, and so forth. This isn't the release to get into it (the family/status/property/law release will make a better attempt). For now, it runs an "importance" check on the family groups during a marriage -- if there is no winner, then it just flips a coin.

Artifacts will pass down family lines to keep them in play longer and to set up interesting conflicts. Even without conflicts programmed yet, we've had some interesting situations. One medium world I ran for 125 years had a dwarven hero named Fath that killed the hydra Osplu Juicepukes. After the fight, she named her steel shield Gladdashed and it became a family heirloom attached to the Kosoth Giltmirrors family group (Kosoth was an original dwarf, and by the end of world gen, that line had 228 living members -- Fath was a grandchild).

During a later koala demon invasion, a goblin named Ngokang Spideryweaver killed Fath and claimed the shield -- even though the invasion failed, Ngokang survived and took the shield back to the goblin capital of Ghoulsullied. A few years later, Ngokang was murdered and Gladdashed lost in the goblin pits, but Ngokang's family still had a claim on it (it's unclear whether goblins will often have strong family mechanics when we remove the placeholder, since it's not a typical value setting for them, but it's fine for now). Ngokang's family group was also identified with an original creature -- Bax Burialscourges, a goblin dancer that was still alive and a member of the Whispers of Evil performance troupe. That goblin family had 49 living members. Presumably, as we continue, it's possible that these 228 dwarves and 49 goblins would come into conflict over Gladdashed in various ways as the artifact is found, stolen, claimed, lost again, etc., especially since it's likely with that many dwarves that several of them would have hands on the levers of power that determine whether their whole civilization goes to war and so on.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could figure out all those xool connections in game. In always stumbling in the dark information wise.

A lot of the time I even forget the name of the place im trying to go and cant find it in the Q menu

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

good luck motherfucker

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IAmTheRad posted:

To train your military is really stupid.
The squad needs to be set to Active in order for them to train in the alerts panel. When you query a place for a barracks, you need to choose the squad and use the 't' key to set that drat squad to train. You'd think that just setting a barracks to a squad will make them train, but that would be to easy. You can't use the squad orders to get them to train. Inactive soldiers sometimes might go and train on their own.

Also make sure to properly designate arrow targets. Make sure they're shooting at them from the right direction. Each archery target counts as their own "room" but it's okay for the floorplan for them to overlap. I just don't recommend your soldiers shoot across the hall to each other. Unless you really want them to.

IIRC years ago he said he wouldn't redo the interface (or graphics) until the gameplay was finished because new features would just keep messing it up. So it would confuse existing users for a temporary benefit for new users, but it would all be confused again in a few years.

I'm not sure he, as a programmer and mathematician, even understands what makes an interface good for non-beep boop people. The weirdness goes way, way back. Like the workshops. One of the first things I want to do while waiting for the miners to dig out some space is build a kitchen to turn my random ingredients into more pleasing and valuable meals (this incidentally also frees up some barrels).
K? It's not k is it? Nope, K is for clothier. :psyduck: How? Why? K is perfect for kitchen and terrible for clothier.

Okay, now that I've got some barrels I'll just have my non-miners gather some plants here while we wait, and brew up some booze.
S is for still, right? Nope, S is for siege workshop. Okay, S for siege makes more sense than K for clothier, but why did siege get priority over still?

Now maybe long ago there was a version of the game that had clothes and sieges but didn't yet have food. That could happen, I guess? But no, that doesn't check out either, because L is for still, not loom. If clothes came first I would have expected loom to claim L.

The interface weirdness goes deep, is what I'm saying.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

IIRC years ago he said he wouldn't redo the interface (or graphics) until the gameplay was finished because new features would just keep messing it up. So it would confuse existing users for a temporary benefit for new users, but it would all be confused again in a few years.

I'm not sure he, as a programmer and mathematician, even understands what makes an interface good for non-beep boop people. The weirdness goes way, way back. Like the workshops. One of the first things I want to do while waiting for the miners to dig out some space is build a kitchen to turn my random ingredients into more pleasing and valuable meals (this incidentally also frees up some barrels).
K? It's not k is it? Nope, K is for clothier. :psyduck: How? Why? K is perfect for kitchen and terrible for clothier.

Okay, now that I've got some barrels I'll just have my non-miners gather some plants here while we wait, and brew up some booze.
S is for still, right? Nope, S is for siege workshop. Okay, S for siege makes more sense than K for clothier, but why did siege get priority over still?

Now maybe long ago there was a version of the game that had clothes and sieges but didn't yet have food. That could happen, I guess? But no, that doesn't check out either, because L is for still, not loom. If clothes came first I would have expected loom to claim L.

The interface weirdness goes deep, is what I'm saying.

I don't understand why this is a part of the game he won't seek assistance on - there are surely more user-focused programmers that would take care of this part of the game for free just to have a Dwarf Fortress with a more sensible interface. Pathfinding, too - he's admittedly not an expert in this and seems inclined to shrug it off without realizing that it's one of the bigger performance bottlenecks. I can totally respect the whole "product of a singular vision" deal but the really longstanding issues often have nothing to do with the creative side of the game at all.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
All you drones are making GBS threads up the thread with your wasted UI rambling.

This is Dwarf Fortress, you creeps, stop talking about UI and start talking about Goblin hillbillies coveting their stolen shield that their Granpappy brought back from the war.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

I really liked this game, and I can see it because I read words from developers, family tree is a neat stuff. How often developers implement new stuff in actual build?

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
The new manager work order interface really requires a semester in a programming language to understand. Then you can see it's if statements and whatnot going on.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
In 2020 or so the ui will get a pass, and it will get organized in a way that makes sense to tarn.

The worst of us will complain at first, but will go "I see the madness" and it will make sense, because we have the tism.

Then the normals will look at it and poo poo themselves and start crying for the old ui back. "that took is years to learn!" they will shout, "now I have to spend another fractional amount of time learning new keys!"

And nothing will change except the buttons pressed.

Everyone that wants "a better ui" can gently caress right off and go abort some Playmobils in Rimworld while I maintain the ability to designate a whole dining area through a series of keystrokes in an eighth of the time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I keep getting a crash with the latest starter pack, I haven't checked the other times but this time I looked at the error log and it says "Receive job pay: NULL JOB" wtf is this?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kirs posted:

I really liked this game, and I can see it because I read words from developers, family tree is a neat stuff. How often developers implement new stuff in actual build?

Come back next year.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

captain innocuous posted:

The new manager work order interface really requires a semester in a programming language to understand. Then you can see it's if statements and whatnot going on.

that just makes it even more frustrating because as someone with a basic knowledge of coding i can imagine all the simple, common structures i'd want to use with the new job manager but can't

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One of the biggest bottlenecks was that ToadyOne was stuck with 32-bit limits. Technically there is a 64-bit limit, but in order to hit that I believe you would need to have the largest size world and embark on the entire world to notice any performance decrease.

The manager interface isn't as good as Workflow can do. Workflow can actually stop orders when you reach a certain amount. For example, if you want your dwarves to make drinks when you are below 30 to hit 100, workflow can let you do that. Manager will just start making drinks when you hit below 30. And keep going until your manager decides to update the orders, which might be never. I ran out of plump helmets in a fortress because I wanted my dwarves to make food when I was below 40 food, but I didn't catch them not stopping making food until I saw I had over 2000 in the stockpiles. I had absolutely nothing that the dwarves could use for drinks, and there was no liquid water for basically 2 seasons. The fortress ran out of drinks all because the new manager work order didn't stop it.
Instead, you should keep an eye on your stocks and since you can go over 30 this time per order, just choose how much you want them to make instead of having it automatic, unless you can figure how to use Workflow and are using DFHack.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 23, 2016

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

reignofevil posted:

Come back next year.

May I please continue playing for that year?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Kirs posted:

No. We're in a feature freeze while Tarn works on the UI for the next 18 months. He just likes to bloviate about game ideas on his blog.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gibbo posted:

In 2020 or so the ui will get a pass, and it will get organized in a way that makes sense to tarn.

The worst of us will complain at first, but will go "I see the madness" and it will make sense, because we have the tism.

Then the normals will look at it and poo poo themselves and start crying for the old ui back. "that took is years to learn!" they will shout, "now I have to spend another fractional amount of time learning new keys!"

And nothing will change except the buttons pressed.

Everyone that wants "a better ui" can gently caress right off and go abort some Playmobils in Rimworld while I maintain the ability to designate a whole dining area through a series of keystrokes in an eighth of the time.

TildeATH posted:

No. We're in a feature freeze while Tarn works on the UI for the next 18 months. He just likes to bloviate about game ideas on his blog.

I apologize for discussing how a game I enjoy playing might be improved in the Games forum instead of only caring about the latest development news.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TildeATH posted:

i wish

the only significant gameplay change recently is taverns/temples/libraries plus the new needs system, which basically translate to "you know those meeting area zones that you never created because they completely destroy productivity? they're mandatory after the first year of gameplay now"

i would love for the game to stop getting slower and more annoying and go on hiatus for a while to fix quality of life / performance issues

e: by contrast all the really awesome things that have happened in the last few versions... are basically UI changes, even if they're closer to "the UI is more powerful" rather than "the UI is more sane." hard cap on population instead of just an immigration wave check, cap on how many invaders can be on the map at one time, new job order system, etc. imagine a whole release of nothing but that stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 23, 2016

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

How meeting areas destroy productivity? It's a new player's question, not a sarcasm.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Jazerus posted:

I apologize for discussing how a game I enjoy playing might be improved in the Games forum instead of only caring about the latest development news.

Yeah, seriously - What the gently caress is going on here with this sudden hostile reaction to very normal and sensible requests? Wishing for an intuitive UI is not 'making GBS threads up the thread', and it's also not an attempt to insult your great idol.

Stupid rear end in a top hat nerds.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kirs posted:

How meeting areas destroy productivity? It's a new player's question, not a sarcasm.

If you implement meeting areas, dwarves party. Partying takes up like literally half a dwarf's time. Also it makes them build relationships, which (until quite recently) was a purely negative feature since all it did was make them distraught when the other dwarf died, potentially so distraught that they would then go insane and starve themselves to death, prompting other dwarves to become upset, and creating a chain reaction known as a "tantrum spiral" that would destroy whole fortresses.

Tantrum spirals aren't really a thing any more (or at least they're much harder to trigger) but dwarves now eventually become "distracted" and their work output suffers if their social, religious, and inquiring needs aren't met. In the old system there was absolutely zero downside to never implementing meeting areas.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gimmick Account posted:

It was a joke, you stupid rear end in a top hat nerds. A joke. Of course DF needs a better UI. But Tarn will probably waste his time writing a procedural joke generator, which will be a waste because no one here gets jokes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gimmick Account posted:

Yeah, seriously - What the gently caress is going on here with this sudden hostile reaction to very normal and sensible requests? Wishing for an intuitive UI is not 'making GBS threads up the thread', and it's also not an attempt to insult your great idol.

The Dwarf Fortress thread used to be constantly and aggressively trolled by YCS nerds who thought (probably correctly) that DF players were easy marks. This was years ago, but conversely making fun of the things y'all are honestly asking about was a big part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you implement meeting areas, dwarves party. Partying takes up like literally half a dwarf's time. Also it makes them build relationships, which (until quite recently) was a purely negative feature since all it did was make them distraught when the other dwarf died, potentially so distraught that they would then go insane and starve themselves to death, prompting other dwarves to become upset, and creating a chain reaction known as a "tantrum spiral" that would destroy whole fortresses.

Tantrum spirals aren't really a thing any more (or at least they're much harder to trigger) but dwarves now eventually become "distracted" and their work output suffers if their social, religious, and inquiring needs aren't met. In the old system there was absolutely zero downside to never implementing meeting areas.

Yeah I read about tantrum spirals (we have a medicine called tantrum verde here, so this term sounds a bit funny) but never thought that it's actually happens because of dwarfs socialize.