Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ehud posted:

What do you guys think about Blizzard giving some customization options for heroes to provide more gameplay variety? Like maybe giving alternate ults, or differently spec'd guns or something like that?

I realize that would be difficult to balance, but so is adding totally new characters. I'm just trying to think of different ways to keep the game fresh that do not involve new characters.

Why don't you want new characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ehud posted:

What do you guys think about Blizzard giving some customization options for heroes to provide more gameplay variety? Like maybe giving alternate ults, or differently spec'd guns or something like that?

I realize that would be difficult to balance, but so is adding totally new characters. I'm just trying to think of different ways to keep the game fresh that do not involve new characters.

I think you lose a lot of what makes this game as decent as it is if you start geting into spec options. Part of the charm and simplicity of this game is that if I see a hillbilly rear end in a top hat in a cowboy hat, I know immediately what he can do to me and what I need to do to counter him.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I don't know about you guys, but I'd love every match to be a guessing game as to what Rocket Launcher the Pharah hovering 40 yards above my head is carrying.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Horrible game dev ideas are what keep me going so thanks for all the posts everyone!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Jastiger posted:

Haha holy poo poo Dva is broken.

She can stand behind you and block all shots shooting AWAY from you. That is ridiculous.

It should go down in duration in proportion to the amount of damage its absorbed instead of just shutting down ALL enemy projectiles for 10 seconds like it does.

Yeah, I'm salty, I ulted as 76, she flew behind me and just sucked up all of it. :mad:

Also McCree is king. A decent McCree can 3 shot most heroes from safe distances now, wowee.

Playing against Dva as Pharah is a real pain in the rear end now. My projectiles are slow enough that she can basically delete all my rockets just by tapping her right mouse button.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

I think you lose a lot of what makes this game as decent as it is if you start geting into spec options. Part of the charm and simplicity of this game is that if I see a hillbilly rear end in a top hat in a cowboy hat, I know immediately what he can do to me and what I need to do to counter him.

Agreed. Some of the skins already raise my hackles because they muddy visual readability. Having to wildly guess at what an opponent is using (especially when they can change to another character at almost any point in the game) would make the game vastly less enjoyable.

Mister Fister posted:

Playing against Dva as Pharah is a real pain in the rear end now. My projectiles are slow enough that she can basically delete all my rockets just by tapping her right mouse button.

Defense Matrix needs to have a longer cooldown after it's turned off. It's a little too easy to simply toggle it on/off and nullify nearly all incoming fire.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I keep forgetting that Defense Matrix is 'hold down for power' on my xbone controller. I was out of my mech 1 second into a game yesterday because I did a flying charge from the top of Kings Row into 3 Ana's and a 76 without my matrix up :downs:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah the reason why Overwatch is superior to TF2 in terms of stuff like that is because when you see a character, you instantly know what they can do. If you see Roadhog, you know "Hey, this guy's got a hook, a shotgun and a paint can, this gives me enough information to deal with him"

I'd rather not see a Roadhog and wonder if he's one of those that has a hook or a boomerang or some other throwable item like a shoe or bowler hat or whatever the gently caress.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

you mean something like adding various hats to the loot boxes that the heroes can wear?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Jastiger posted:

Yeah, I'm salty, I ulted as 76, she flew behind me and just sucked up all of it. :mad:

Hahaha, that's a fantastic move. Her shield only lasts 4 seconds total though, it's 10 to fully recharge.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ehud posted:

Add more characters instead. Being able to look at a character's silhouette and instantly know what tools they have available is important.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

fun fact: symmetra's full carwash now does roughly as much damage as a zarya beam with 36 energy. Before it did about as much as a zarya beam with 100 energy

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Soothing Vapors posted:

What do you know I can do to you? :heysexy:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I just realised you can also do this to shield a friendly ulting Mccree/soldier making it that much more likely they'll live through it. Or a pharah if she isn't 50 miles high. It's not perfect but close enough!

I'm probably the last to realise this. :downs:

E: whoops more posts popped in. This is D.va talk.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

fun fact: symmetra's full carwash now does roughly as much damage as a zarya beam with 36 energy. Before it did about as much as a zarya beam with 100 energy

this is only on consoles though right? :ohdear:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Soothing Vapors posted:

This makes a lot of sense.

I'm just sitting at home waiting for the UPS guy to deliver my new computer and thinking about dumb Overwatch ideas :smugdon:

So if new characters are the way to keep the game fresh, what flavor of characters do you guys want to see next?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
A luchador that can bodyslam people.

I want to see him to it to Roadhog.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ehud posted:

This makes a lot of sense.

I'm just sitting at home waiting for the UPS guy to deliver my new computer and thinking about dumb Overwatch ideas :smugdon:

So if new characters are the way to keep the game fresh, what flavor of characters do you guys want to see next?

some new maps

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Jastiger posted:

Haha holy poo poo Dva is broken.

She can stand behind you and block all shots shooting AWAY from you. That is ridiculous.

It should go down in duration in proportion to the amount of damage its absorbed instead of just shutting down ALL enemy projectiles for 10 seconds like it does.

It only lasts 4 seconds, so if she was shooting down projectiles for 10 seconds it's because there were 3 of them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Astroniomix posted:

It only lasts 4 seconds, so if she was shooting down projectiles for 10 seconds it's because there were 3 of them.

She did it long enough to completely negate my ult and have all the people in front of me unharmed and kill me, whereas they would have died otherwise. It wasn't the full 10 seconds but it was long enough to make the ult useless.

Needs to be changed imo, it shouldn't be a void to which all projectiles go to die. IT should stop HER from being shot and the people directly BEHIND her from being shot, and it should "absorb" energy and reduce its duration the more its shot.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Goddamn, new D.VA is so much loving fun. I've had so many payload or capture maps already where I just hide around a corner from the opposing spawn and just loving merc isolated people running back to the fight or charging into the back of enemy lines and then flying off before they can pin me down. You can be such a pain in the rear end now, it's great.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Jastiger posted:

She did it long enough to completely negate my ult and have all the people in front of me unharmed and kill me, whereas they would have died otherwise. It wasn't the full 10 seconds but it was long enough to make the ult useless.

Needs to be changed imo, it shouldn't be a void to which all projectiles go to die. IT should stop HER from being shot and the people directly BEHIND her from being shot, and it should "absorb" energy and reduce its duration the more its shot.

No it shouldn't. Your changes send her right back to just being a worse reinhardt. Stop being salty because you feel cheated out of a bunch of kills you feel like you earned by pressing Q.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Like the first rule of any successful ult is:

Are there any people who can negate the damage around? If so, take them out first.

Different ults have different heroes who can mitigate them. D.Va is good against some, not others, like Reinhardt is good against some, and not others.

D.va doesn't need to be changed, you just need to not be so stupid when ulting.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Do you rage this much about Meiwalls, sleep darts, roadhogs's hooks, Reinhardt's shield, pin, or earthshatter, transcendence, sound barrier, or anything else in this game that steals your hard earned q-kills, or is it reserved for dva?

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
The more ways to shut down ultimates in this game, the better.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Astroniomix posted:

No it shouldn't. Your changes send her right back to just being a worse reinhardt. Stop being salty because you feel cheated out of a bunch of kills you feel like you earned by pressing Q.

Its not just about that one time, I mean in general. As someone else said, she can now negate a ton of damage just by taping the right mouse button. I think her changes are awesome and were long over due, I just think it should have some bit of diminishing returns. instead of consistently being able to block all incoming damage from the front.

If I shot it right at her face, well yeah, thats on me. She wasn't even in the picture, wasn't in position to block it, so she came up behind me and it blocked it all, as if it was plucking the bullets out of mah gun! The player playing it was surprised it worked, they just had it up in case I spun around.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I had to have a play of the game that infuriated the other team.

On Anubis point B, I am heading to the point as D.Va, a Genji is running towards me, expects me to fight, I just walk by him, turn and beelining for the point, he's blasting me in the back but I rocket to the point with my matrix up blocking the turrets there, explode, kill everyone near the point but one player slightly in the cave that manages to kill me before I hit the ground, but, my spray and pray shots at them connect post death, team kill (I have no idea how the Genji died, someone else must have taken him out or he must have dashed behind me into the blast), teammates walk in and take the point, game over.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

this is only on consoles though right? :ohdear:

Yeah. Nerfing Symmetra on PC when she's already a super-specialized pick who's usually abandoned midway through the game would be insane.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jastiger posted:

Its not just about that one time, I mean in general. As someone else said, she can now negate a ton of damage just by taping the right mouse button. I think her changes are awesome and were long over due, I just think it should have some bit of diminishing returns. instead of consistently being able to block all incoming damage from the front.

If I shot it right at her face, well yeah, thats on me. She wasn't even in the picture, wasn't in position to block it, so she came up behind me and it blocked it all, as if it was plucking the bullets out of mah gun! The player playing it was surprised it worked, they just had it up in case I spun around.

If she was able to sneak up behind you and use the matrix without you even noticing, then sorry, she WAS in position to block it. It's not her fault or your fault you didn't know exactly how the cone eats bullets until after it ate all your bullets and got you killed. But now you know for next time.

If the cone didn't work how it currently does, it couldn't stop Reaper's ultimate, and that's one of the ults the Defense Matrix was basically made to eat.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah. Nerfing Symmetra on PC when she's already a super-specialized pick who's usually abandoned midway through the game would be insane.

Is there a good breakdown of most and least used characters?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Posters continue to eat up Jastigers bait and ask for more

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ehud posted:

Is there a good breakdown of most and least used characters?

For matchmaking, not that I know of; you could go off one of the stat aggregator websites but they have nasty self-selection bias. For tournament play (which can include hundreds of teams so it's both more and less accurate than you'd think for different reasons, but still a pretty good dipstick): http://www.planetoverwatch.org/

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
While we're on the topic, for any aspiring Symmetra players:

Orient your teleporters! People will be running forward through the teleporter. Don't point it back at spawn, that wastes half a second to a second as people go "Oh, right, this isn't the right way" and have to turn around and cover lost ground. The teleporter is entirely about saving time, anything you do that detracts from that reduces the effectiveness of the teleporter.

Remember, the teleporter exit always faces you when you're placing it! It doesn't have to exactly aim towards your defense chokepoint, but at least make sure that the right way forward is within vision when people exit the teleporter.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

FranktheBank posted:

What do you know I can do to you? :heysexy:

disappoint me, mostly

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

While we're on the topic, for any aspiring Symmetra players:

Orient your teleporters! People will be running forward through the teleporter. Don't point it back at spawn, that wastes half a second to a second as people go "Oh, right, this isn't the right way" and have to turn around and cover lost ground. The teleporter is entirely about saving time, anything you do that detracts from that reduces the effectiveness of the teleporter.

Remember, the teleporter exit always faces you when you're placing it! It doesn't have to exactly aim towards your defense chokepoint, but at least make sure that the right way forward is within vision when people exit the teleporter.

What is your Battle net ID?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Y'all should know by now just to ignore Jastiger's terrible ideas

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Dva is stupid strong now. Holy poo poo. On ps4 she's rocketed from "niche pick" to "you need me if you wanna win."

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
dva is my friend

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Rufio posted:

you criticize a man's waifu, his blood done gone get het up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rufio posted:

Counterpoint: Most of my ideas are good and would improve the game.