Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Chespin's line has a ridiculous movepool and its defenses and HP can let it tank non-Flying attacks. Froakie is good without its ability, but ridiculous with it. Fenniken just does nothing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Some musings on my first week of 3DS + Pokemon. (Version X)

Playing unemulated has been a weird experience. Intially I was almost agitated about not being able to fast forward stuff, but that has since been replaced by just being and playing very chill. I just hit the second gym, and it took me 24h of game play to get there. I've been very thorough about capturing every pokemon type I can, and slowly evolving them up to get that 'dex filled. The process has been pretty calm and relaxing, which is nice. :)

Capturing is almost stressfull when I can't just brute force with savestates! I actually had to leave Glittering Cave to get some more balls, and come back, because I ran out.

It'd be hard to play any of the older ones again, after this one. The difference in presentation has taken pretty big leaps by turning in to almost proper 3D on the world map.

Holy crap there are a lot of different types of pokemon from all six gens! I've been trying to focus on the newest ones I haven't seen or used a lot, but nostalgic Gen 1 things are especially a temptation.

Trading online is super fun. I've been sending extras with good natures outward, while filling my Pokedex with things that are hard to get in X. I've also gotten some real gems from Gen 3 in wonder trading, probably thanks to ORAS being the newer game.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Has anyone announced any preorder swag for sun/moon? hoping for something more than a poster that will never get put up. Maybe something like the stuffed Mega Charizards that Toys-R-Us had for ORAS.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ruggington posted:

doubles is a very good meta game that I can appreciate from afar and it's very very different from singles

vgc 2016 rules are still nightmarishly bad

vgc16 isn't my favorite but right before nationals everyone started using both heatproof bronzong and levitate bronzong, so I expect to see more earth power/eruption special groudons at worlds. also the uk likes mega rayquaza a lot and japan's got some xerneas things going on i think ?? worlds is going to be good

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've gotten a lot more into VGC recently, mainly because of Aaron Zheng, but it is a crazy way to play with a ridiculous amount of strategies and counter-strategies and counter-counter-strategies that it can be quite a time trying to wrap your head round it. While it's not for everyone, it is very impressive how it can all play out.

In other news, the opening week numbers of the most recent Pokemon movie have come out aaaaaaand... Movie 19 has now taken the title that Movie 18 took from Movie 5 in being the lowest opening grossing Pokemon movie. This in no way reflects how good the movie is, a fair few fans are saying it's pretty good, but people are just not interested in going to the theater to see Pokemon anymore. While this won't affect next year's movie, it does make me wonder how long they'll keep the yearly theatrics going.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Don't forget you're running out of time to get Shaymin via Mystery Gift.

Edit: fixed

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 22, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What's crazy to me is that VGC are the official rules but everyone since basically the first online sims has been playing singles with their own rule set for years.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Well really this just comes down to GF making cart battling more accessible and adaptable to get more people interested. Each gen the global link gets better, and the future is promising with new self run competitions being on the table.

Also adding things like hyper training are great for those of us who just don't want to deal with trying to hack in pokemon, but really enjoy battling and want to be competitive.

I don't know if I'm odd, but I'm more than happy to spend a few hours breeding up and training a perfect mon. However you then go online and have to face legendary pokes that are clearly hacked and I just don't want to cross that bridge just to stay competitive. The day I hyper train up my Thunderous and Kygore in S&M will be a very happy day for me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bongo Bill posted:

Don't forget you're running out of time to get Shaymin via Wonder Trade.

Not Wonder Trade but Mystery Gift.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Gonna get a 3ds to play sun and moon but untill then which is better pokemon xy or or/as?

Is there like a good rundown of pros and cons to each?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Geokinesis posted:

Gonna get a 3ds to play sun and moon but untill then which is better pokemon xy or or/as?

Pros:
- Pokemon

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Generally XY is for a brand new adventure and sets up how Gen 6 is gonna go, but ORAS is the most recent game with the most current stuff.

Play one, then the other, it doesn't make much of a difference which.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
XY Pros:
Better starters
Bunch of fun new pokemon
Goomy
Trainer Customization
Post-Game, you can catch a Legendary Bird based on your starter edit: and Mewtwo as well

You get a Kanto starter (Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander)

XY Cons:
You go through like 8 routes and 4 towns between the first and second gyms
Riding on Pokemon is a fun thing, but gets old quickly. Especially Rhyhorn.

ORAS Pros:
FLYING TO ROUTES
Flying to Routes
More Mega Evolutions than XY, and you can't trade any of the new Mega Evos to XY
Pokenav
Can now catch Deoxys, and there's a bunch of legendaries you can catch post-game.

ORAS Cons:
Too much Water 7.8/10
It's Ruby and Sapphire
Less experience with the new pokemon, unless you count megas

So you could get either. If you think you might get both, I'd get XY first, because it has a ton of QoL improvements over the previous games, while ORAS has a ton of QoL improvements over XY (did I mention you can fly to routes in ORAS?)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 22, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I loving hate the amount of water and diving and poo poo in ORAS

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

PSWII60 posted:

Has anyone announced any preorder swag for sun/moon? hoping for something more than a poster that will never get put up. Maybe something like the stuffed Mega Charizards that Toys-R-Us had for ORAS.

I remember preordering the ORAS combo pack and getting 50 potions. Everyone thought it was a joke but nope you just got some weak rear end potions.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Senerio posted:

XY Pros:
Better starters

We have a comedian in the house.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Geokinesis posted:

Gonna get a 3ds to play sun and moon but untill then which is better Pokémon xy or or/as?

Personally, I'm having more fun with Y than I've had in my time playing AS, and I think a large part of that is the pokemon available. Don't get me wrong, Hoenn has some good pokemon in it, but the distribution of them is terrible, and I say this as a person who likes Wingull (Pelipper is crap though). I'm probably going to end up transferring my Y pokemon back over to AS so that I have some fun stuff to go through the main game with (unless that doesn't work in which case I will be sad).

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My list is subjective, honestly. Just because I like the XY starters better than the RS starters doesn't mean poo poo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Pros to ORAS:
Soaring (You don't need a pokemon with fly anymore, it's a key item. It pulls out Lati@s from your box. Hell, you don't even have to have it in your game at all)
Post-Game is really fun, Delta Episode is crazy. Looking for Legendaries is hella fun too
You get starters from every game except R/B/Y and X/Y post-game
You can sneak up on Pokemon and if you fight a lot of the same types the chances increase of seeing them with baby moves or hidden abilities. It's not consecutive, just seeing them in general boosts the count by +1, so you could get a Machop with Ice Punch.
General Quality of Life improvements over X/Y

Cons to ORAS:
Boring pokemon through the first-half of the game
Water routes are tedious, but you can skip most of them entirely.
Because it's a self-contained remake expect to see a lot of common pokemon through the ENTIRE game. Wingull and it's evolution show up everywhere.

Pros to X/Y:
Used as a jump-point to people who haven't played for a while, offers classic starters extremely early on
Extremely diverse Pokemon at all points in the game (There are rarely any repeats on routes)
Roller Skates replace running, and it's pretty drat fun to skate around
Trainer customization lets you really diversify your character
With EXP share and so many different Pokemon you can easily have 8 Pokemon on your main team around the same level. All Pokemon in your party collect exp now (It can be turned off). It's in ORAS too, but unless you want a team of 8 pelliper it's not as fun.

Cons to X/Y:
The first fourth of the game is goddamn slow with a large chunk of the game having no gyms at all (Imagine playing Red/Blue and walking from Pewter City to Lavender Town before seeing a gym)
Pokemon Riding is really slow and you're at the mercy of random encounters. Rhyhorn in particular is so painful without a bunch of repels because of how slow it walks and boulders in the way
General pacing is bad.
Post-Game is underwhelming

Disargeria posted:

I remember preordering the ORAS combo pack and getting 50 potions. Everyone thought it was a joke but nope you just got some weak rear end potions.
A couple weeks/months after launch Walmart had a bonus with them to get Mega Pinsir/Heracross in-game and that was a lot better than weak-rear end potions.

:siren: If the ORAS Demo is still up, it's a good intro to the games and if you complete it, you get some items and a Mega Glalie

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 22, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

x+y are the best in the series

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Super No Vacancy posted:

B2W2 are the best in the series

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

less laughter posted:

BW1 are the best in the series

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
X Y with full on battle frontier and PWT would be no question best in the series

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hgss with updated mechanics and all the monsters would be my favorite. good sprites, good story, good routes, good fun

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

X Y with full on battle frontier and PWT would be no question best in the series
X/Y seems like there's too many cities that are needlessly big for no reason tho, especially that city on the water with the tram going to the top of it and the main city. Most of it's so drat big and there's nothing even there worth doing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Super No Vacancy posted:

Platinum is the best in the series

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

X/Y seems like there's too many cities that are needlessly big for no reason tho, especially that city on the water with the tram going to the top of it and the main city. Most of it's so drat big and there's nothing even there worth doing.

big is good, mark

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Senerio posted:

XY Cons:

Going to disagree here. I loved how much space there was between the first two gyms. It made the world feel a lot bigger and made it feel like I was really on an adventure, you know? So when I finally reached the gym, it felt like more of a "gently caress YEAH!" moment.

I was super disappointed by how quickly the rest of the game seemed to fly by after that.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Gen 4 remakes are going to own so hard

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

bursting heart gold and radiant soul silver

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Another X/Y con: The game saddling you with those dipshit kids.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Pentaro posted:

Another X/Y con: The game saddling you with those dipshit kids.
The fat dancer and the little nerd are so stupid and pointless to everything. At least the girl is interesting in the plot

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

All the Pokemon games are wonderful.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

mabels big day posted:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

oddium posted:

hgss with updated mechanics and all the monsters would be my favorite. good sprites, good story, good routes, good fun

Fix the drat level curve

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

mabels big day posted:

i do not think pokemon shuffle is wonderful

interesting for 4 hours maybe, but not wonderful

thank u

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Senerio posted:

XY Pros:
Better starters
Bunch of fun new pokemon
Goomy
Trainer Customization
Post-Game, you can catch a Legendary Bird based on your starter edit: and Mewtwo as well

You get a Kanto starter (Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander)

XY Cons:
Riding on Pokemon is a fun thing, but gets old quickly. Especially Rhyhorn.

ORAS Pros:
FLYING TO ROUTES
Flying to Routes
More Mega Evolutions than XY, and you can't trade any of the new Mega Evos to XY
Pokenav
Can now catch Deoxys, and there's a bunch of legendaries you can catch post-game.

ORAS Cons:
Too much Water 7.8/10
It's Ruby and Sapphire
Less experience with the new pokemon, unless you count megas

So you could get either. If you think you might get both, I'd get XY first, because it has a ton of QoL improvements over the previous games, while ORAS has a ton of QoL improvements over XY (did I mention you can fly to routes in ORAS?)

So XY has more pokemon in number and variety than ORAS correct and less tedious water and HMs?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Well really this just comes down to GF making cart battling more accessible and adaptable to get more people interested. Each gen the global link gets better, and the future is promising with new self run competitions being on the table.

Also adding things like hyper training are great for those of us who just don't want to deal with trying to hack in pokemon, but really enjoy battling and want to be competitive.

I don't know if I'm odd, but I'm more than happy to spend a few hours breeding up and training a perfect mon. However you then go online and have to face legendary pokes that are clearly hacked and I just don't want to cross that bridge just to stay competitive. The day I hyper train up my Thunderous and Kygore in S&M will be a very happy day for me.

Personally I hated the effort you had to put into EV training and IV breeding and such on the carts yeah. Each version makes it easier but in the old versions even using your TM on a specific mon meant that you couldn't switch around team members anymore. I remember back in the day hoarding TMs for stuff like earthquake because of that.

For me the fun part of battling was figuring out new movesets and pokemon to use and adding more steps to make each team member usable slows that down :/

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Carlosologist posted:

Gen 4 remakes are going to own so hard

I doubt it. DP were the absolute worst main Pokemon games, and the remakes have shown an incredible inability to actually correct the main flaws of their original versions (a bland region for Gen 1, awful level curve for Gen 2, far too much water for Gen 3) so I expect the DP remakes to be very pretty, but also terrible.

And I'll buy them anyways, because I'm an idiot who has given his wallet to Nintendo for them to use as they please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Sun and Moon seems to be fixing a lot of stuff. So maybe there's hope. Also I remember hearing something about the stat system getting overhauled like back when the special split happened. That still a thing?

• Locked thread