Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Horror Thread Is A Locked Room, And Only I Have The Key

It won't get better than this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Horror Thread Is A Locked Room, And Only I Have The Key

Impossible to top.

It also reminded me I still need to watch Fulci's Black Cat from the boxset I bought from Arrow. Never heard much about that one, positive or negative.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

Impossible to top.

It also reminded me I still need to watch Fulci's Black Cat from the boxset I bought from Arrow. Never heard much about that one, positive or negative.

That reminds me: how is Two Evil Eyes? Now that I have shudder I might finally watch it, I've always been extremely curious about a Dario Argento/Harvey Keitel version of The Black Cat

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Isn't that a anthology film?

The Church is really loving good . Great recommendation. At the Cross part that was awesome.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 22, 2016

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That reminds me: how is Two Evil Eyes? Now that I have shudder I might finally watch it, I've always been extremely curious about a Dario Argento/Harvey Keitel version of The Black Cat

The Romero part is pretty ok, would fit in fine with Creepshow.

Argento's is the definite highlight and Keitel is a repugnant mother fucker in it; pretty great stuff.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

This.

We just need the archetypal local yoke at the gas station warning the van full of teenagers that they should turn back.

Horror: It's got a death curse!

Another suggestion, from an apocryphal quote of Val Lewton:

Horror Megathread: Because death is good

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Glamorama26 posted:

It's lesser Fulci, so it's good but not great.

The Arrow version has an amusing extra where Stephen Thrower takes you on a tour of locations from the film. I'm not normally a fan of those "horrors hallowed grounds" things (this technically isn't one of those, although it follows the same template), but Thrower is my favourite horror commentator by a long-shot so I'd argue it's worth the trip.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

How good is all the Arrow releases special features? Thrower's on a few of them and he's a really fun guy to listen to talk about the genre. Funny and urbane and still just a total fanboy at heart. It's neat.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I'm late to the Tobe Hooper appreciation station, but I'll always have love for "Invaders from Mars."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just finished watching The Church starts off a little crazy goes absolutely bat poo poo crazy at the end there.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Just watched Lights Out and really enjoyed it. Reminded me of The Babadook (which I wasn't the biggest fan of) in a lot of ways.

I'm still processing the ending, which was a bit jarring thematically. It has flaws but they almost don't matter because the creature is so well done. It never feels gimmicky and remains terrifying the whole way through the movie.

It also knows you are expecting jump scares and is really good at playing on those expectations. Very well put together overall!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Blisster posted:

Just watched Lights Out and really enjoyed it. Reminded me of The Babadook (which I wasn't the biggest fan of) in a lot of ways.

I'm still processing the ending, which was a bit jarring thematically. It has flaws but they almost don't matter because the creature is so well done. It never feels gimmicky and remains terrifying the whole way through the movie.

It also knows you are expecting jump scares and is really good at playing on those expectations. Very well put together overall!

Isn't that the movie based on the liek 30 second short of a girl standing there when the lights are turned off from half a decade ago? The trailer seemed like it spoiled the whole thing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Slight correction on the Blind Dead thing: the Revenge from Planet Ape version only added a bizarre prologue. The cuts are in every English-dubbed version, and only Spanish-language versions are uncut; the scenes that were cut were never dubbed, period, and there's no mixed-audio version floating around through official channels (bizarrely enough; I know Blue Underground's done that in other situations, and iirc they handled the Blind Dead stuff in USA).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched Tombs of the Blind Dead and I really have no idea how any of it could be utilized to make a Planet of the Apes movie. I kind of want to see that version now.

The costume design on the templars was probably my favorite part, very creepy.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I absolutely love The Church. It back to back to back with Demons 1 and 2 make for a great little mini marathon. I wish I liked the Night of the Demons sequels more, but I barely remember anything about them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ramadu posted:

Isn't that the movie based on the liek 30 second short of a girl standing there when the lights are turned off from half a decade ago? The trailer seemed like it spoiled the whole thing

It's by the same director. He did a bunch of those sort of imaginative little horror shorts for no money with only him and his girlfriend as the whole cast and crew. James Wan saw his stuff and threw a couple of movie deals his way.

Also the original short is only two or three years old.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.
Horror Thread: Giallos, Lake Mungo, and Kvlt's Dark Desires

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Just having a great time binging Hellraiser movies with my daughter atm.

Any recommendations along those lines to keep the fun rolling?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Basebf555 posted:

The weird thing is that his all-time top horror movies list was completely reasonable. He had like The Exorcist, An American Werewolf in London, and Night of the Living Dead in there. How someone can love An American Werewolf in London but hate Return of the Living Dead I'll never understand.

In a weird way I've come around to his presence in the thread, he's bizarre yet entertaining.

Because if he said An American Werewolf in Paris it would've given the game away

Hollismason posted:

Your Horror Thread Is A Locked Room, And Only I Have The Key
This is the best thing

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Golli posted:

Event Horizon maybe? Depends on how you feel about sci-fi horror.

I thought Baskin had a little bit of a Hellraiser feel to it, but I'm not sure that one is to be watched with your daughter. Then again you're watching Hellraiser with her so...

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Gimme Blood: Return of the Living Thread

Best I could do I'm not good at this game

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

She's 17, so I'm ok with it. Event Horizon is on the radar - Havent heard of Baskin so will check it out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Golli posted:

She's 17, so I'm ok with it. Event Horizon is on the radar - Havent heard of Baskin so will check it out.

Baskin is more extreme than Hellraiser so be warned.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Golli posted:

Were you after hell-based horror in particular, or just kinda funny-in-retrospect 80's horror in general?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

Were you after hell-based horror in particular, or just kinda funny-in-retrospect 80's horror in general?

Hellraiser is not funny in retrospect, and Event Horizon was made in the 90's and is also not very funny.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Golli posted:

Donald Trump's convention speech should be online by now

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Golli posted:

There's a really gross sex/rape scene in it that might be a bit awkward to watch with your daughter.
And Baskin in general is a very unpleasant watch, and I say that as someone who also liked Hellraiser I and Event Horizon.

Golli posted:

Also this would be a good thread title.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 22, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Golli posted:

Like 80s horror or just like hell themed horror . Someone suggested Baskin, but I wasn't a really big fan of it.

I say go for the 1980s Stuart Gordon films Reanimator etc..

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I say go for the 1980s Stuart Gordon films Reanimator etc..

Of course there's THAT scene, maybe not best watched with your teenage daughter.

A lot of good horror movies have that one scene that makes them a really awkward watch with family.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Golli posted:

Candyman and The Midnight Meat Train are a couple other Clive Barker produced movies that you will like.

Candyman being the better of the two movies.

Actually, if you want to sit through a trilogy, Candyman has two decent sequels (neither to do with Clive Barker).

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 22, 2016

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I'm always partial to Nightbreed, especially now that a better cut of it is readily available.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Ramadu posted:

Yeah it's based on that short. The same actress even shows up in a small role.

I guess the trailer is a bit spoilery but it certainly didn't ruin the movie for me. I mean the plot isn't really why I watch these movies anyway. The atmosphere is really great and they really do a lot of interesting stuff with the light aspect of the creature.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Am I the only person who prefers the serial killer/psychiatrist portions of Nightbreed more than the "city of monsters" angle? The idea that the main character is being manipulated by his therapist into believing he's a serial killer to cover up the therapist's murder spree was a really cool kernel of an idea that just gets swallowed up in all the mythology of the underground city and all of that.

Granted, it's been a while since I saw it and I might be hazy on the details, but I remember feeling like that immediately after it was over.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Nightbreed is a great concept/book named Cabal, but neither cut of the film does alot for me. I love the look and design of it all, it just doesn't feel whole story wise imo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it was just too ambitious an idea for the kind of budget Barker had to work with. At the very least it needed a scene equivalent to the troll market in Hellboy 2. Something to sell the idea that there's this whole underground community. It all seemed too small and contained compared to the way its spoken about in the movie.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah - Baskin sounds like it would be awkward at best, I'll have to watch it solo. Lots of other recs sound good though. I forgot about Candyman.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Candyman is by far the most succesfully realized Clive Barker adaptation. Most of them fall between taking really garbage liberties or attempting faithfulness but not having the budget / chops for it; Candyman improves on what was already one of his better short stories.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Candyman is by far the most succesfully realized Clive Barker adaptation. Most of them fall between taking really garbage liberties or attempting faithfulness but not having the budget / chops for it; Candyman improves on what was already one of his better short stories.

Ohhhhhh I dunno, Hellraiser and Lord of Illusions are some strong rear end films.

Tony Todd and Virginia Madsen are incredible and might give ya the edge however.

I wish Rawhead Rex was good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like Hellraiser at least a little bit more but I agree that Candyman is the most improved from the source material (although I like a lot of the changes Hellraiser makes from the Hellbound Heart too)

edit: actually yeah, Lord of Illusions is a big step up from the short story too, although in that case it diverges so much to basically be a completely different story with the same lead character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Holidays is really really REALLY loving bad. Its basically ABCs of Death but each segment is much longer. The problem is the segments all have the same amount of ideas as those short rear end segments so they draaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Segment 1 is pretty drat good, the lead actress is very convincing and the whole thing is appropriately campy. It's basically a horror movie starring Tina Belcher. Segments 2 and 3 are loving AWFUL. St. Patrick's Day is basically a long, ponderous lead up to a lovely punchline (with one of the worst line reads I've ever heard) and Easter is just lame as hell. It's like the worst kind of eye rolling Athiest joke with no real scares.

Segment 4, Mother's Day, starts off good and works for a lot of the time, but just ends on a garbage jump scare. The same for Father's Day which ends probably the best written and tensest segment on another poo poo jumpscare.

They really needed to expand the drat thing and include poo poo like Labor Day, Fourth of July, etc and basically make another ABCs of Death to maybe balance out the bad with some good and shorten the worst offenders.

It's worth watching for Segment 1 and it's good for something in the background, but gently caress is it a disappointment.