Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
If you need bug parts, pull out the crappy Petrified Bow you started the game with and grab some poison coatings. One hit will poison them guaranteed, at least in low rank, and the tiny raw on the bow wont kill them on impact. Just wait a few seconds for them to croak and collect your wings/stomachs/bugbutts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got any hot strats for Uragaan? Since I'm using and upgrading most of the weapon types in the game I currently need a metric fuckton of Lava Nuggets, so I assume I'll be fighting him for a while.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Your Computer posted:

Anyone got any hot strats for Uragaan? Since I'm using and upgrading most of the weapon types in the game I currently need a metric fuckton of Lava Nuggets, so I assume I'll be fighting him for a while.

Get a weapon with lots of water element and reap his taint.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Infinity Gaia posted:

A single HR weapon upgrade will run you 20k. Minimum. That 100k of yours is about to rapidly evaporate.

O-oh....

Oh. :cry:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mmm, and just check out how many upgrades there are! For one weapon!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, I think SnS is easily the most powerful of the weapons so far. It's hella effective and that exhaust damage is :allears:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I ate up 100k in no time flat making the elemental weapons for DBs. I have a lot of parts to sell thankfully.

I'm not convinced I made a great decision though, because having to make the corresponding elemental armor is kind of a drag and nobody is really talking much about them. I think a general elemental crit set might be good enough at least.

Your Computer posted:

Just use Meowster Hunter for this. You can get like 2 nuggets per kitty hit on a Uragaan.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 22, 2016

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Can anyone help me stop sucking at the Meownster Hunter minigame? I'm poo poo at the ricochet game, apparently. Any tips?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Is it a good idea to attempt Snowlord or Stonefist at low rank?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Lynza posted:

Can anyone help me stop sucking at the Meownster Hunter minigame? I'm poo poo at the ricochet game, apparently. Any tips?

If you are looking for the rare hidden item, point the cursor all the way left or right and try for maximum power. This will cover the screen with your puck and hopefully find the rare item.

After that, use small power shots. It doesn't take much to get it across the screen / to bounce where you need it.

Besides that, you just have to get a feel for it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is it a good idea to attempt Snowlord or Stonefist at low rank?

with a group? sure why not

gaijinhunter has a video about deviant quests, it's something like 1-4 are LR, 4-8 HR and 9-10 "G", except the last 4 deviant quests which are 1-2 LR 3-6 HR 7-10 G

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Is monster hunter 3 ultimate on the wii u worth checking out? I was kinda interested in trying out a MH console game. Any big negatives about it?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Trilin posted:

Is monster hunter 3 ultimate on the wii u worth checking out? I was kinda interested in trying out a MH console game. Any big negatives about it?

The big negative is that underwater combat sucks poo poo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Trilin posted:

underwater combat sucks
online is dead
if you know that the kelbi bow is brokenly good the game becomes less fun....whoops

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

The other big negative is that its online is deader than your average pubbie.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The thing about the Kelbi Bow is that you can only activate the thing that makes it broken with "FreeElement" which is a late High Rank - G-Rank skill. You'd have a lot of gameplay before you before reaching that point. As everyone mentioned though, good luck finding other players for 3U.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
The online being dead as poo poo as a given, yeah. I had forgotten about underwater combat. Not a huge fan. Anyway thanks!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Kind of the big negative about MH in general. You're basically paying money for a new season of Diablo because a year or two later it's like hmmmm no thanks. The community is really what makes a lot of the game. See that person who posted how much they're playing in the last week just cause of MH hype.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I must be the only person who didn't hate the underwater combat. Except underwater SnS, gently caress that thing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a ton of fun offline soloing and will probably eventually try the old games anyway :shobon:

e: underwater combat in games though.. It never works. Depth perception is a bitch.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Well, here I go trying to do the last 6 star village urgent: kill all of the furious 4 in the arena.

Should be fun!

Edit 1: Gammoth down... 41 minutes left
Edit 2: Astalos down... 33 minutes left. Only 2 mega pots used so far.
Edit 3: Mizutsune down... 24 minutes to kill Glavenus. Only 5 mega pots used, but that's because my cats are totally killing it on the heals.
Edit 4: Glavenus down. 10 minutes left on the clock. The keys to my success were my cats and eating for the random damage reduction.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 22, 2016

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
The main thing I miss about 3U is the cool thunderbolt gunlance I got from fighting the event Ivory Lagi. That fight gave me a few gray hairs, but drat if that GL wasn't sick.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

s1ppycup posted:

The main thing I miss about 3U is the cool thunderbolt gunlance I got from fighting the event Ivory Lagi. That fight gave me a few gray hairs, but drat if that GL wasn't sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6UfNOyM_wU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

BMan posted:

I must be the only person who didn't hate the underwater combat. Except underwater SnS, gently caress that thing.

Nope, I liked it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Trilin posted:

The online being dead as poo poo as a given, yeah. I had forgotten about underwater combat. Not a huge fan. Anyway thanks!

I played it over the course of last year and there were still a few hundred playing online. Enough to find help getting through the hairier portions of G Rank, at least.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, what HR are you generally supposed to be at before you take a crack at Stonefist Daimyo? Because me and a buddy are just into HR2 online (I'm at 5* village, he's at 4* I believe) and we survived way longer than we had any right to, but we did end up triple carting. I was bouncing all the time.

I guess the better question is what sharpness/defense level should you be looking at for him? I'm in full LR Ceanataur as upgraded as I can get right now (181 defense) and I was able to take hits fairly well. Just curious when people are fighting him.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish I didn't hate how horribly slow gulances are in practice, because as a weapon concept, the gunlance is the best.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
After ceanataur what are some good armors to look into for aerial swaxe/lance? Something with evade distance?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ChibiSoma posted:

Hey, what HR are you generally supposed to be at before you take a crack at Stonefist Daimyo? Because me and a buddy are just into HR2 online (I'm at 5* village, he's at 4* I believe) and we survived way longer than we had any right to, but we did end up triple carting. I was bouncing all the time.

I guess the better question is what sharpness/defense level should you be looking at for him? I'm in full LR Ceanataur as upgraded as I can get right now (181 defense) and I was able to take hits fairly well. Just curious when people are fighting him.

Is that a Special Ticket? I only remember Daimyo Hermitaur in Guild quests at like HR4. If it's special ticket, then it's tuned higher than its recommendations suggest -- the Dreadqueen Rathian requires HR2, but hits and behaves more like a HR6 or HR7 monster.

To not bounce off his shell, you need at least blue sharpness for slashing and maybe only green for blunt weapons. Go for his legs and claws and face instead.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I noticed that I got some Water ammo from the supply box in the Tetsucabra mission. Are the last few items in a supply box random or do they have meaning to the mission?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I noticed that I got some Water ammo from the supply box in the Tetsucabra mission. Are the last few items in a supply box random or do they have meaning to the mission?

Tetsu is weak to water I believe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

boz posted:

Tetsu is weak to water I believe.

Well yes, I know that. What I'm wondering is whether the supply box is offering clues as to how to defeat the monster.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

Well yes, I know that. What I'm wondering is whether the supply box is offering clues as to how to defeat the monster.

Yup. They'll give you sonic bombs for monsters who don't like those, nulberries when you need them to remove debuffs, etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pollyanna posted:

They're all unique to the mission. You usually get bonus ammo the monsters are weak too, sonic bombs for the ones that burrow, nullberries if they use an element, cleanser if they throw poo poo at you, antidotes if they're poisonous etc.. That ends in HR where you stop getting anything but a map, so make sure to actually bring Hot/Cold drinks, healing items, whetstones, ammo, etc.

Its for this reason LR quests are good ways to stock up on some poo poo that can be annoying to craft (Tranq bombs/ammo) and why they don't give you real potions/whetstones/traps.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Pollyanna posted:

Everything in the box is relevant to that fight, so yeah. Items given will always be effective for that monster.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aerial Hunting Horn is everything I ever dreamed it to be. I can't believe how viable hh is for soloing poo poo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does bubble from the armor skill trigger crisis? That would make the stonefist armor look pretty cool.

edit: tested it. It does indeed.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 23, 2016

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Do flash bombs still not loving work or something because I just burned a jillion of them on nargacuga on a whim and they didn't do poo poo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Do flash bombs still not loving work or something because I just burned a jillion of them on nargacuga on a whim and they didn't do poo poo

You need to make them explode right in front of the enemy's face. That said I haven't tried them in gen yet, so maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Flash bombs need to explode in front of the monster but don't collide with it. If you're facing the monster but standing too close you'll toss it right through and flash their rear end instead.

• Locked thread