Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Johnny Joestar posted:

i also hope people are excited for Shigechi's Harvest, part 1 of 2

Absolutely.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that music was perfect too

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Shigechi owns so im very excited for that too

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Johnny Joestar posted:

I am unironically hype for this because it has some of my favorite moments of Josuke and Okuyasu fuckin around like the goofy delinquents they are.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You know in your heart of hearts that I am excited for every episode of Part 4 to come. Some more so than others, but all have a place in my heart and gently caress I wish this anime was over already I gotta wait 22 more weeks.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, this is where Part 4 finally develops a plot, huh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's probably a reason why the music that plays for Kira may momentarily remind you of an extremely popular song by an extremely popular English band.

But no one knows why.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy crap that ending :aaaaa:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Race Realists posted:

goons going elitist gatekeeper on jojos is just surreal

You're all already loving normies in here anyways

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

as someone who didn't get into jojo's until the anime started i'm thankful to finally not be a normie anymore

thank you toonami

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

So, this is where Part 4 finally develops a plot, huh

Pretty much, the fun misadventures aren't going anywhere though, those are still here to stay

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

Harvest is genuinely one of my favourite chapters in DiU and I'm glad it's getting the proper two episode treatment it deserves

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Make way for Homo superior.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 4 always had a plot, and hopefully by the end of it all people will understand

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh yeah, don't expect the wacky misadventures of the crew to stop, they still run into weird and wonderful stuff. It's just interspersed with the looming threat of Kira now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 4 is probably the loosest part I've yet read because most of the stand users are just random dudes with motivations that are either bizarre or not really fleshed out. The main plot takes a while to kick in and even once it does there's still a bunch of goof-off arcs that don't do much to forward the story. Usually they introduce a new character who'll show up again maybe once, but sometimes not even that. It's kinda hard to get a handle on it, really.

None of this actually matters, though, because it's an amazing loving part.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's probably a reason why the music that plays for Kira may momentarily remind you of an extremely popular song by an extremely popular English band.

But no one knows why.

For a moment I actually thought they had licensed it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stink Terios posted:

For a moment I actually thought they had licensed it.

I have faith. The second ED will deliver ...

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This was a good ep. The way the hand snaps down after the camera reveal was perfect.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

MrAristocrates posted:

Part 4 is probably the loosest part I've yet read because most of the stand users are just random dudes with motivations that are either bizarre or not really fleshed out. The main plot takes a while to kick in and even once it does there's still a bunch of goof-off arcs that don't do much to forward the story. Usually they introduce a new character who'll show up again maybe once, but sometimes not even that. It's kinda hard to get a handle on it, really.

None of this actually matters, though, because it's an amazing loving part.

I love that about DiU, where the majority of the fights are just random people with no stake in the fight, with some of them just using their Stand to be good at their job. It's a great change of pace from every stand user in SDC going on about DIO-sama, it really shows the range of stories Araki can tell.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I forgot Harvest was as long as it is, but it's the same number of chapters as Let's go to the Mangaka's House.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Moltrey posted:

Oh yeah, y'all were saying in here that Part 4 takes a lot from spooky town urban legends and then Reimi's death is literally like word for word the Humans Can Lick Too story

It was really weird realizing halfway through the story that I had heard it before.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Surprisingly Dope posted:

It was really weird realizing halfway through the story that I had heard it before.

This is far from the most blatant example of Araki lifting something verbatim from a western source to serve as a character's background, and it is always amazing.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

The Lord of Hats posted:

This is far from the most blatant example of Araki lifting something verbatim from a western source to serve as a character's background, and it is always amazing.

Wait I thought Araki invented it who actually did.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think my favorite one is Versace's backstory being basically the beginning of Holes

e: ahhh gently caress I forgot this is a pre-part5 thread

Meat Beat Agent fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 22, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mezzo actually liked this episode, though I think that's because she recognized the urban legend when it came up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it was fixed

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 22, 2016

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

dammit

Anyway, I liked today's episode, as always.

Also, re JJBA on Toonami: Someone from Adult Swim confirmed that they're starting from part 1 - does that mean Viz is doing a redub or something, or are they using the existing Warner one?

Meat Beat Agent fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 22, 2016

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Wait I thought Araki invented it who actually did.

scope this: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lighton.asp

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

daft punk railroad posted:

dammit

Anyway, I liked today's episode, as always.

Also, re JJBA on Toonami: Someone from Adult Swim confirmed that they're starting from part 1 - does that mean Viz is doing a redub or something, or are they using the existing Warner one?

They're probably gonna use the existing one. I can't see why they'd bother redoing the whole thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The dub they have is really good and it's probably not worth the time or money to redo it so I doubt they will. The only thing we know about the release Viz is putting out in that regard is that Patrick Seitz is still Dio, which is good because he was amazing.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

I kind of assumed they'd be sticking with the existing one, but I had no idea what the licensing situation was like with Viz / Warner / Toonami / whoever else is involved there.

I guess that's good news, since the dub has been really growing on me the more I watch it. Old Joseph's dub voice from the preview is pretty good but it's a shame he lost his accent from the end of Part 2.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

daft punk railroad posted:

I kind of assumed they'd be sticking with the existing one, but I had no idea what the licensing situation was like with Viz / Warner / Toonami / whoever else is involved there.

I guess that's good news, since the dub has been really growing on me the more I watch it. Old Joseph's dub voice from the preview is pretty good but it's a shame he lost his accent from the end of Part 2.

I mean, the official Viz dub of part 3 is using the same VAs as Warner's test dub so that's even less reason to think they'd mess around with any of it.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

Yeah, good point. I forgot Warner was behind the test dub.

(Also agreed 100% with Patrick Seitz being an excellent Dio)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seitz's generic evil guy Dio is awful. They looked at Koyasu and ran the opposite way, which is really bad.

And the dub unironically uses the word strewth. The accents are utterly cringeworthy, specially the "English" ones.
It's unsalvageable. Spend the money on subbing the blurays, Manga and give the spare to Araki for spending money.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Now obviously episode reactions are dominated by the final scene of the episode, but as much as I think Kira is great, my favourite part of the episode was:

It wasn't actually the work of an enemy stand.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Like gently caress you, gently caress stands, ghosts are real now, this is about actual honest-to-god ghosts.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

Ghosts are just dead people's stands

• Locked thread