Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ObamaPhone posted:

Here's my entire list of favorite horror movies, sorted chronologically by decade, starting with the 1970's and stopping with the 2010's:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/AJRZ98VIOES0U/ref=pdp_new?tag=viglink22035-20

Unfortunately, Amazon decided to remove Listmania and "So You'd like to..." Guides as of 2014, so that's where I had to stop.

You will see other lists, but only look at the ones with "Best Horror Movies" in the title.

Nowadays, I go back as far as old school Vincent Price in the 50's and 60's, but it's a chore.

Dang. I was mostly with you on your choices, I can respect all of them until I got to this:

Alien
"1979 – The pacing has aged badly by today's standards. Only included because of it's iconic legacy."

I think I had a seizure or something reading that :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Now that the thread title's changed I can finally say it, I've had sex.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Jedit posted:

We were talking found footage horror movies a few pages back, and I completely forgot one of the best: Series 7: The Contenders.

Yeah, this one is really good. It has almost Stephen King's The Long Walk.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Now that the thread title's changed I can finally say it, I've had sex.

Bullshit.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ramadu posted:

Dang. I was mostly with you on your choices, I can respect all of them until I got to this:

Alien
"1979 – The pacing has aged badly by today's standards. Only included because of it's iconic legacy."

I think I had a seizure or something reading that :psyduck:

Alien is another movie, like Jaws, where there is only one monster.

I'm familiar with the artwork of H.R. Giger since I was a kid, and the first Alien just didn't hold up as a admirable foe by the time I saw it years later.

I realize that many, if not most people disagree with me on this, but Aliens the sequel was the hallmark of the series.

I'm in the middle of watching Alien 3: Assembly Cut ATM, and I regard Alien: Resurrection as the superior film by a slight margin.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Obamaphone, Jaws has 2 monsters and they are profit and Quint in that order

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ObamaPhone posted:

Here's my entire list of favorite horror movies, sorted chronologically by decade, starting with the 1970's and stopping with the 2010's:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/AJRZ98VIOES0U/ref=pdp_new?tag=viglink22035-20

Unfortunately, Amazon decided to remove Listmania and "So You'd like to..." Guides as of 2014, so that's where I had to stop.

You will see other lists, but only look at the ones with "Best Horror Movies" in the title.

Nowadays, I go back as far as old school Vincent Price in the 50's and 60's, but it's a chore.

An American Werewolf in London (Full Moon Edition) [Blu-ray]
"1981 – The best werewolf on film... Until Underworld."

Hrmmmmmm.... that is not a good opinion that I would share with the outside world.

I do not see Possession on this list.

We need to talk.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Hollismason posted:

An American Werewolf in London (Full Moon Edition) [Blu-ray]
"1981 – The best werewolf on film... Until Underworld."

Hrmmmmmm.... that is not a good opinion that I would share with the outside world.

I do not see Possession on this list.

We need to talk.

Possession is not a good movie.

The Possession of Michael King is the superior of these two flicks and it came out 2 years later.

Scratch both of those though because The Conjuring is the best of this lot.

Also, what other werewolf movies do you prefer?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Silver Bullet, Bad Moon, The Howling, Dog Soldiers, and maybe Monster Squad.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 23, 2016

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ObamaPhone posted:

Oh boy I would not say that in this thread.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

We were talking found footage horror movies a few pages back, and I completely forgot one of the best: Series 7: The Contenders.

I'm not sure if you could call a mock reality show "found" footage. Cinema vérité maybe?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

ObamaPhone posted:

Are you sure you're thinking about the right movie because I'm having trouble imagining a human being who doesn't think Possession is a good movie

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Irony.or.Death posted:

Are you sure you're thinking about the right movie because I'm having trouble imagining a human being who doesn't think Possession is a good movie

RU4RL? :gary:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Possession is the perfect film. It is sublime.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I saw Lights Out last night. It was pretty bad. There really wasn't any tension, dread, or horror that wasn't based around jump scares or the anticipation of a jump scare. If you watch the original short you pretty much get the "scary" parts, the rest is just filler.

I saw it this evening, and I'll second that. It's pretty much what The Babadook would've been if The Babadook had been a bad movie. There's some seeds for a decent horror flick in there; the ghost lady looks great when she's a clawed silhouette with faint glowing eyes, and there's some mileage in the idea of her being a metaphor for depression. The problem is that the movie doesn't trust the audience to read any subtext so it underlines the "ghost lady = depression" angle with a felt marker, then the last half of the movie resolves itself with a "let's defeat the monster" scenario that doesn't suit the metaphor. On top of that, the movie climaxes with the depressed mother saving the day by shooting herself in the head, which is so terrible that it's actually kind of amazing it ended up as the actual ending. The only silver lining is that it's made me want to watch both The Babadook and Mama again.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kvlt! posted:

Oh boy I would not say that in this thread.

I mean, he'll get jumped on but its not haram to say like saying that lake mungo is trash for trash people is

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Out of BioZombie and Gnaw: Food of the Gods II, what should be a higher priority for me to watch?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Just watched Green Room. Holy poo poo that was brutal. Anton Yelchin was great :(

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Possession is great, but I have absolutely no trouble imagining someone not liking it. It's a very unusual film.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Marshal Radisic posted:

I saw it this evening, and I'll second that. It's pretty much what The Babadook would've been if The Babadook had been a bad movie. There's some seeds for a decent horror flick in there; the ghost lady looks great when she's a clawed silhouette with faint glowing eyes, and there's some mileage in the idea of her being a metaphor for depression. The problem is that the movie doesn't trust the audience to read any subtext so it underlines the "ghost lady = depression" angle with a felt marker, then the last half of the movie resolves itself with a "let's defeat the monster" scenario that doesn't suit the metaphor. On top of that, the movie climaxes with the depressed mother saving the day by shooting herself in the head, which is so terrible that it's actually kind of amazing it ended up as the actual ending. The only silver lining is that it's made me want to watch both The Babadook and Mama again.

The Babadook didn't show enough.

I remember a professional critic comparing The Babadook to "the best monster movie since Attack the Block."

What a bunch of bull.

Mama at least had a capable director behind it that did wonders until Mama was shown in her full CGI mess glory.

TBH, there's another horror short that I prefer to Lights Out called Bedfellows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6flB0XvmTo

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Samuel Clemens posted:

Possession is great, but I have absolutely no trouble imagining someone not liking it. It's a very unusual film.

I've said it before but Possession is basically the most realistic film ever made about divorce.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 23, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ramadu posted:

I've said it before but Possession is basically the most realistic film ever made about divorce.

poo poo I got it rear end backwards then.

I'm thinking The Possession that was released in 2012, not the 1981 version!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

The most realistic film about divorce is The Brood.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Possession is a film that in your teens you think is weird and in your 20s you think is surprisingly accurate.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hollismason posted:

Possession is a film that in your teens you think is weird and in your 20s you think is surprisingly accurate.

My condolences.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
So Adam Wingards new film The Woods isn't actually called that. The real title is Blair Witch. Yes, it's a sequel. I did NOT see that coming.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here's the Blair Witch 2 trailer.

https://youtu.be/girSv9UH_V8

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Glamorama26 posted:

The most realistic film about divorce is The Brood.

The Brood and Possession are basically the perfect double feature.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Brood and Possession are basically the perfect double feature.

Also doubles as the perfect double feature to blow your brains out and die alone to.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Marshal Radisic posted:

Definitely agree about the ending. I actually almost expected that the family would accept Diana and take her in. So much of the movie is talking about dealing with a family members problems instead of running away, and the mother straight up says that this is why she can't get rid of Diana- she won't abandon a "friend." But the suicide ending was really really jarring. I liked it more than The Babadook though. I've never really understood the hype for that movie. It was fine but hardly mindblowing.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Skeezy posted:

This is a wonderful swerve.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ObamaPhone posted:

Also, what other werewolf movies do you prefer?
Dog Soldiers for sure. American Werewolf in London and Ginger Snaps 2 are both p.good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skeezy posted:

That's the Blair Witch 3 trailer, here's the correct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxANWqgmsFc

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 23, 2016

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's the Blair Witch 3 trailer, here's the correct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxANWqgmsFc

Diggin' the trailer. Will probably be ultimately disappointed, but gently caress it: I'm in!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I remember I convinced my cousin that The Blair Witch was actually real and he just freaked the gently caress out during the movie. Blair Witch was good and I enjoyed the sequel.

It's just super unfortunate that so many movies tried to ape it afterwards.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

The Blair Witch freaked me out conceptually as a kid because I live near some of the places where they filmed the movie. I was pretty disappointed by the movie as an adult, but I had also visited several of the filming locations and they are just littered with goofy graffiti. I'm excited by the new one because i'm a sucker for Adam Wingard and I remember weirdly loving all the side documentaries that came out to supplement the first movie (I'm pretty sure this thread steered me to them).

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Whoah, what a cool direction for The Woods to take. Adam Wingard forever gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Man, I'd never seen a Hellraiser movie before but I watched Hellraiser: Revelations and that might be one of the worst movies I've even seen.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yaws posted:

Man, I'd never seen a Hellraiser movie before but I watched Hellraiser: Revelations and that might be one of the worst movies I've even seen.

Don't start with the sequels they are all degrees of terrible. Watch the first 2 then just pretend the franchise ended.

Finally watched "Mystics in Bali" last night and holy poo poo what a bonkers movie. The special effects are hilarious, the dubbing is bad but it was still really entertaining. It's not scary because the bad acting kills that but if you haven't seen it and enjoy weird/bad horror movies it's totally worth a watch.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
If Blair Witch can do for Blair Witch what Evil Dead did for Evil Dead (that is, evoke the "feel" and intensity of the original in a way that actually affects my cynical, overexposed self), I'll be sublimely happy.

On the Evil Dead tip, is Fede Alvarez' new movie out yet? It looks insane and great. I trust that dude to build tension and atmosphere and actually pay it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don't Breathe looks insanely good. I hope Fede Alvarez doesn't fizzle out like Alexandre Aja (we'll see if Andres Muschetti can do something with It).