Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How do I fire a Phoenix 1 missile using a Fencer? I just see this big red square.
Why can't I boost with a Fencer? I just have this dumb little jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

How do I fire a Phoenix 1 missile using a Fencer? I just see this big red square.

A lot of the missiles for Fencer require an Air Raider to use one of his laser designator guns to choose a target. A bit fiddly, but the good news is the result is usually a lot of fun!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Once you have an air raider they become really high performance missiles with high travel speed, fast lock on and fast reload.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

Jump or dash is tied to the weapon. Generally melee weapons have dash and guns have jump.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

E: Beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

Hold down the attack button to lock on with missiles once you get tone.

Spacebar will let you dash if you're holding a weapon that can. Only the melee weapons get it. If you're jumping, you've probably got a gatling gun or the like equipped.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 23, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Section Z posted:

I admit I also love Boring Soldier Mans. Wing Diver is 3/4 me laughing maniacally wondering why I liked Ranger so much, 1/4 wishing I had a rocket launcher I could murder every single "wait for the hatch to open" target from all the way across the map while still be great for blowing up swaths of ants and not having an energy bar I am loving garbage at managing.

It's kinda nice Ranger can also heal up NPCs under his command a little bit when grabbing healthkits.
Rangers are made fun by recruiting NPCs. They do a pretty good job of soaking up fire and, depending on the mission, can seriously fill a niche in your attack loadout that you're lacking. The first mission with the quadruped fortress, I prefer to just bring a huge missile launcher to attack Hectors, because there are 3 squads of ranger NPCs on the map and if you bring a reverser to help them walk off their owies, they will absolutely mop up the drones on the map.

On the note of Hectors, how are people going about fighting them? I do okay with a big missile launcher and kiting, or a rail gun tank, but I feel like that's kind of the scrub's way out. The mission where Hectors surround (like 19 or something) I get the distinct feeling I just don't know how to fight them.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The two best anti-Hector blob strategies I've found are either be a ranger with one of their ridiculous sniper rifles (Lysander or Stringer) or be an Air Raider and call in a railgun tank. If you don't have either of those items, then just settle in for the death of a thousand cuts with Wind Diver, because she can dance around them and be invincible. They stop being able to reliably hit things once those things are airborne.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That cleared up several questions. The energy weapons for Wind Diver don't make sense. A laser gun barely uses energy and 1400 shots, but the chart says 29% drain. The sniper weapons also seem to cause single digit damage.
I tried Hardest mode in mission 2 and got a level 0 gun. Rather pissed off, but the game is telling me to group up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

That cleared up several questions. The energy weapons for Wind Diver don't make sense. A laser gun barely uses energy and 1400 shots, but the chart says 29% drain. The sniper weapons also seem to cause single digit damage.
I tried Hardest mode in mission 2 and got a level 0 gun. Rather pissed off, but the game is telling me to group up.

Energy use on wing diver weapons is over the course of the reload. You're still regenerating energy during that time. Try reloading while airborne if you want a real scare.

Also, for whatever reason hardest and inferno have always had all lower weapons in the drop pool instead of mostly relevant ones like in hard.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

SilverMike posted:

Hold down the attack button to lock on with missiles once you get tone.

Spacebar will let you dash if you're holding a weapon that can. Only the melee weapons get it. If you're jumping, you've probably got a gatling gun or the like equipped.

This is generally true but the Phoenix specifically requires a laser guidance system from an air raider.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Scalding Coffee posted:

A laser gun barely uses energy and 1400 shots, but the chart says 29% drain. The sniper weapons also seem to cause single digit damage.
Half of WD sniper weapons are continuous lasers. You have to hold the button down to maintain the beam.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Some weapons will have a zoom instead. And yeah, you can't fire a Phoenix 1 missile by yourself as a Fencer, you need a friend. I used a Phoenix 2 on the third Retarius stage and it felt like it took forever to lock on and then mostly only succeeded in blowing up the other Fencer in the middle of the mess.

What's a good early stage to grind a little armour? The first nest stage? I assume the splitscreen thing where you have one idling of the same class and it counts each drop as double still works from the previous version?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Energy drain is always applied when the weapon reloads. So that 29% drain is when you reload/use up all 1400 shots. Those guns are ridiculously efficient energy wise and allow you to fly around like a lunatic. Meanwhile the sniper weapons have 1 shot in them before reload so they drain the listed amount after every shot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That gun is amazing and works when you can't fly. Class is fun when you have a decent gun.
Air Raider is also promising now that I have a spider bot and something called a Balam, also healing decoys. I can finally be the support character I wanted.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

Rangers are made fun by recruiting NPCs. They do a pretty good job of soaking up fire and, depending on the mission, can seriously fill a niche in your attack loadout that you're lacking. The first mission with the quadruped fortress, I prefer to just bring a huge missile launcher to attack Hectors, because there are 3 squads of ranger NPCs on the map and if you bring a reverser to help them walk off their owies, they will absolutely mop up the drones on the map.

On the note of Hectors, how are people going about fighting them? I do okay with a big missile launcher and kiting, or a rail gun tank, but I feel like that's kind of the scrub's way out. The mission where Hectors surround (like 19 or something) I get the distinct feeling I just don't know how to fight them.

Ranger Fork launchers (The shorter range "Fire a million missiles that all aim at one thing" launcher) will royally gently caress up a Hector's poo poo. They will also royally gently caress up dropships if they are ever in range of them, and basically everything they can hit. Funny enough Fork launchers suck on red drones, because they will be knocked away from the missile swarm by each individual missile.

A lot of my heavy lifting on Hectors with Ranger though, is taking advantage of just how loving ridiculous the range and accuracy on Rocket launchers are. It's not kiting if you are firing while moving CLOSER to the Hector's still a million miles away :pseudo:

Up close, any old weapon with a good enough fire rate helps against hectors. Because they will be sent into bendy doll jitters with every impact. Though it's a real gamble praying artillery hectors will bend in the right direction at the right time when they fire point blank. But once they are up close, unless you are bringing some really crazy poo poo that can down them in seconds, every moment hitting them helps. Whether it's an assault rifle, shotgun. grenade launcher, etc.

I finally got around to getting the Cascade 2 "Rapid fire yet still accurate" rocket launcher, now I have the best of both worlds for loving up Hectors at close and long range! And trimming the cityscape while looking for ant holes.

I would like the early Normal/Hard tier sniper rifles more if even 800m was not just a small fraction of the range on a rocket launcher. But I stand by a good semi-auto sniper for fighting the mothership, particularly if you love to break all their weaponry.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 23, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psycho Landlord posted:

The two best anti-Hector blob strategies I've found are either be a ranger with one of their ridiculous sniper rifles (Lysander or Stringer) or be an Air Raider and call in a railgun tank. If you don't have either of those items, then just settle in for the death of a thousand cuts with Wind Diver, because she can dance around them and be invincible. They stop being able to reliably hit things once those things are airborne.

Note: This does not apply to their loving pulse-cannon chaingun.

At least not in my experience.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I am so glad the npcs are tougher in this version as opposed to 2025. They really help a lot with drones and dragons. The only thing I really wish Rangers had (and the one missing thing I'd wish they had taken from insect armageddon and made better) was a sprint button.

Good god do I wish there was a sprint button.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I never knew shooting ants with a bazooka was what I wanted in a shooter.

Is there any way to roll forward as a Ranger? Rolling diagonally and looking sideways sorta works, but is clunky.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

I never knew shooting ants with a bazooka was what I wanted in a shooter.

Is there any way to roll forward as a Ranger? Rolling diagonally and looking sideways sorta works, but is clunky.
For whatever reason no, no forward roll. Aim yourself diagonally and roll if you want to move forwards that way.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Turn your camera.

EDF! EDF!!!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

That gun is amazing and works when you can't fly. Class is fun when you have a decent gun.
Air Raider is also promising now that I have a spider bot and something called a Balam, also healing decoys. I can finally be the support character I wanted.

When you first give Balam a shot, make sure to do it in a mission with a lot of hectors.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Samurai Sanders posted:

For whatever reason no, no forward roll. Aim yourself diagonally and roll if you want to move forwards that way.

This is lot more awkward to do on keyboard than it was on controller, unfortunately.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So how do you invite someone to join your room?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I was confused by that at first too. Once you've made the room, hit up on the keypad to bring up a new menu. You'll see the invite option there.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Anyone currently playing and/or is in the steam group? Solo with pubs is still a hellish nightmare.

E: which are good missions to farm up armour?

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 23, 2016

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
Loved the first EDF back in the day, so I just bought this. Anyone else starting new on Steam I can group with? Also, noticed mention of a steam group, what's the name of it (Only saw XBOX and PS in the OP)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Delpino posted:

Loved the first EDF back in the day, so I just bought this. Anyone else starting new on Steam I can group with? Also, noticed mention of a steam group, what's the name of it (Only saw XBOX and PS in the OP)

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonDefenseForce

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Thanks!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is there a reason not to jump right to Hard mode of the start?

Normal is piss easy and getting a level 0 blow torch as a weapon drop 10 missions into the campaign hurts my soul.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vakal posted:

Normal is piss easy and getting a level 0 blow torch as a weapon drop 10 missions into the campaign hurts my soul.

Nope, especially if you're playing coop. But then you'll get all your level 0 garbage in hardest and inferno

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vakal posted:

The two difficulties, honestly, are almost completely separate from one another. All the weapons you get on Hard aren't usable on Normal by default, and all the weapons you get on Normal aren't helpful in Hard.

There's no reason why you need to cut through all 90-some-odd missions to jump into Hard, just play mission 2 and be conservative for the first few runs so you can build up an arsenal. But don't expect it to help anything, you're just gaining resources for use on Hard. The weapon drops you're looking for to break into Hardest are going to happen late in the campaign on Hard.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Coolguye posted:

The two difficulties, honestly, are almost completely separate from one another. All the weapons you get on Hard aren't usable on Normal by default, and all the weapons you get on Normal aren't helpful in Hard.

There's no reason why you need to cut through all 90-some-odd missions to jump into Hard, just play mission 2 and be conservative for the first few runs so you can build up an arsenal. But don't expect it to help anything, you're just gaining resources for use on Hard. The weapon drops you're looking for to break into Hardest are going to happen late in the campaign on Hard.

TBH you need armor more than weapons to break into hardest unless you want to spend the next dozen hours playing robot d-day on each difficulty setting.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I think you need a lot of both. Armor is a big deal and you should have like 1k on Ranger (with like 600-700 on WD, ~1.5k on Fencer) before screwing around on Hardest too much, but trying to use a level 20 Hand Cannon or Buffalo shotgun on Hardest quickly becomes an exercise in masochism when these high damage weapons take ~3 shots to murder a black ant.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Coolguye posted:

I think you need a lot of both. Armor is a big deal and you should have like 1k on Ranger (with like 600-700 on WD, ~1.5k on Fencer) before screwing around on Hardest too much, but trying to use a level 20 Hand Cannon or Buffalo shotgun on Hardest quickly becomes an exercise in masochism when these high damage weapons take ~3 shots to murder a black ant.

You can pretty easily do robot d-day on hardest with level 20 weapons and something resembling starting armor. That'll get you level 40 weapons you can do it on inferno with to get level 50 ones. Then you go "well gently caress" and realize you need to grind out a poo poo ton of armor before you can do anything else.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Coolguye posted:

All the weapons you get on Hard aren't usable on Normal by default,

Wait, what? I did a couple of Hard missions last night and then used those lvl 15-20ish weapons in Normal missions. Am I misunderstanding something here? Is this if you're doing multiplayer (I'm doing SP)?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bruteman posted:

Wait, what? I did a couple of Hard missions last night and then used those lvl 15-20ish weapons in Normal missions. Am I misunderstanding something here? Is this if you're doing multiplayer (I'm doing SP)?

Yeah I'm referring to multiplayer, sorry

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

By far the biggest problem i have is getting armor up to do the harder difficulties without getting 1shot.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Bruteman posted:

Coolguye posted:

Yeah I'm referring to multiplayer, sorry
To clarify a bit more, there are weapon/armor limits in place until you hit 70% completion of missions in multiplayer, then you can turn them off. That doesn't exist in singleplayer.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TwatHammer posted:

By far the biggest problem i have is getting armor up to do the harder difficulties without getting 1shot.

I'm not sure what mission it is but isn't the best way to farm armor to stand on top of an anthill with a flamethrower pointed at the sky? Or did they fix this in 4.1? Brute Force on Normal with Inferno weapons is pretty good for armor too if you want something more straight. I got 74(and didn't get to pick them all up) when I did it a little while ago.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you're willing to actually sit and grind for armor, black ant transports should be the best source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Wait, you actually have to have mission completions to turn off the limitations?
drat, that's annoying.