Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Both the RNC and the Koch Bros. are pulling money from Ron Johnson reelection bid in Wisconsin's senate race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

deoju posted:

Both the RNC and the Koch Bros. are pulling money from Ron Johnson reelection bid in Wisconsin's senate race.

Johnson is a dead man walking. I just wish Kirk and Toomey had managed to gently caress up as badly as he did.

Plus the added bonus of putting Feingold back in the Senate!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They already triaged Kirk a few weeks ago.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
richard burr announced yesterday he plans to retire after the next term assuming he (likely) wins

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Speaking of NC, I assume everyone knows about the NBA's decision to pull out the all-star game due to HB2, the bathroom bill

McCrory blaming it on business elites and the Democrats

https://twitter.com/BryanRAnderson/status/756255019415076865
https://twitter.com/katieperalta/status/756253263633285120

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Got the third piece of campaign lit in the mail today from a Democrat promising to enact Bernie's agenda at the state level. Not surprising, since I'm in Vermont. Anyone seeing that in other states?

Florida will be reclaimed by the reluctant Atlantic before I get that mailer.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

thethreeman posted:

Speaking of NC, I assume everyone knows about the NBA's decision to pull out the all-star game due to HB2, the bathroom bill

McCrory blaming it on business elites and the Democrats

https://twitter.com/BryanRAnderson/status/756255019415076865
https://twitter.com/katieperalta/status/756253263633285120

Tough talk from a carpet bagging toadie stooge

TALK TO THE INVISIBLE HAND

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well then.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/756512231114809345

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Just came here to post that. Will this give the Dems a chance to pick up the seat, or will the jungle primary ensure that the run-off will put it in R hands?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Franco Potente posted:

Just came here to post that. Will this give the Dems a chance to pick up the seat, or will the jungle primary ensure that the run-off will put it in R hands?

The KKK is a Democratic organization, so this might split the vote. On the other hand, Duke did very well the last time he ran for Governor.

We'll just have to wait for some polls.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
His announcement video doesn't even try to hide it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ97gEFBH5k

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The NRSC released a statement saying they will not support Duke's candidacy.

Which is a thing they felt the need to do.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

What's generally the "best" way to white supremacists to run on the coattails of Trump - as Republicans or Independents?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Joementum posted:

*unless he starts polling ahead of the others

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ufarn posted:

What's generally the "best" way to white supremacists to run on the coattails of Trump - as Republicans or Independents?

Republicans, just like Trump is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

There is no reason he can't win a GOP primary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mcmagic posted:

There is no reason he can't win a GOP primary.

There's no primary in Louisiana. All the candidates will be on the ballot in November. If none of them clear 50% there's a runoff in December between the top two.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

There's no primary in Louisiana. All the candidates will be on the ballot in November. If none of them clear 50% there's a runoff in December between the top two.

Oh . I didn't realize that. He probably can't win an election like that.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah but if he runs on an *I agree with Trump* platform, does that give Dems an opening to actually win in Louisiana? When is the filing deadline?

Brigadier Sockface has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Jul 22, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

Louisiana ain't Mississippi, but they're still Louisiana.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Yeah but if he runs on an *I agree with Trump* platform, does that give Dems an opening to actually win in Louisiana? When is the filing deadline?

Not really. Dems only took the Governor race because of the Republican candidate's history of soliciting prostitutes, and the universal Jindal hate

There are no clear leaders on either side of the race today, if I'm not mistaken. From last month: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/louisiana-senate-poll-boustany-fleming-trail - looks like the GOP (former Dem) State Treasurer is at the top of a widely divided field with 32%, second is a GOP representative named Boustany with 10%, and the closest Dem is Foster Campbell, who I've never heard of, in third place with 9%

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

he got into the runoff and 55% of white people voted for him last time he tried: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Duke#1991_campaign_for_Governor_of_Louisiana

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

mcmagic posted:

Eh, it's weirder than you think. What it usually leads to is "Democrat wins with 43% to republicans crazy candidate 26% and republican moderate candidate 18%" then at the runoff people decide they sure don't want no abortion-lovin demmycrat and you end up with crazycandidate grabbing the 16% of the moderate and winning.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hot take: i don't think duke will finish above the Democrat, and i think it'll be an r vs r runoff

even if he does better then that i think the establishment r politicians will be ok, they have been all primary season. tepid take

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

His announcement video doesn't even try to hide it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ97gEFBH5k

disappointed it wasn't this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q4txN1ut20&t=192s

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

he got into the runoff and 55% of white people voted for him last time he tried: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Duke#1991_campaign_for_Governor_of_Louisiana

Black and Hispanic people are really the only thing standing between this country and the abyss.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Black and Hispanic people are really the only thing standing between this country and the abyss.

White women generally deserve some credit.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

White women generally deserve some credit.

that would be reverse sexism against white males though

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

mcmagic posted:

But the fact that he won't lose until November means he will be generating "KKK leader loves Trump" headlines until November.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

mcmagic posted:

hey man we asians might have saved mark warner from an upset two years back

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i saw tim kaine speaking at eden center a few years ago, i hope the gop keeps alienating nova asians and they vote in odd years

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope Asians have a large enough population to have a double digit influences on a vote outside of local elections in areas of high Asian density and California

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the jungle primary in Louisiana yielding Ordinary Republican vs David Duke with no Dems in the runoff.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

that dude is crazy. if you tweet at him, he will try to log into your account a bunch of times to get it locked.

is this the 21st century version of saying bloody mary three times into a mirror?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This guys is running simply because all of his grandkids keep moving out of state

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Johnson is a dead man walking. I just wish Kirk and Toomey had managed to gently caress up as badly as he did.

Plus the added bonus of putting Feingold back in the Senate!

If nothing else, this is making me happy during this election season.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
So as a total outsider to FL politics, I found this article about the Senate race phenomenal: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/alan-grayson-florida-senate-race.html

I'm actually a bit surprised how negative SA is about Grayson after reading this. Sure, he runs a personal hedge fund, but it sounds like he's a total anti-establishment/anti-machine/anti-"anointment" politician who's been dunking on Wall St like a populist for years:

quote:

But for all Grayson’s bombast and buffoonery, the Trump-of-the-left line isn’t really fair. A better comparison might be Bernie Sanders in Floridian drag. When Grayson arrived in Congress in 2009, he was assigned a seat on the House Financial Services Committee. Democratic and Republican leaders often put their freshmen members from swing districts on Financial Services since it’s a surefire way for them to raise gobs of money for what will likely be tough reelection campaigns. Grayson had other ideas. Instead of using his Financial Services perch to buck-rake — the words Goldman and Sachs appear nowhere in his FEC reports — he used it to rake Wall Street over the coals. He introduced a bill restricting salaries and bonuses for executives at financial institutions that had received federal bailout money. (The bill passed the House and died in the Senate.) He subjected Wall Street CEOs, as well as Treasury Department and Federal Reserve officials, to withering cross-examinations at committee hearings.
Versus this guy:

quote:

Murphy has red hair, broad shoulders, and the towel-slapping bonhomie of the college-baseball prospect he was only 15 years ago. The son of a construction magnate, Murphy initially followed his father into the GOP. In 2007, he made a $2,300 campaign donation to Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign. “When I first go to register to vote,” Murphy told me, “you know, ‘Hey, my dad’s a Republican, I guess I’m a Republican.’ I mean, it’s maybe not the right way to do it, but I think it’s how a lot of people probably do it.” Murphy explained that the subsequent rise of the tea party persuaded him to become a Democrat. In 2012, he decided to run for Congress. Fortified by $550,000 in donations from his father, Tom, to two super-pacs supporting his candidacy, Murphy beat the tea-party darling Allen West by fewer than 2,000 votes in what was that year’s most expensive House race. He was assigned to a seat on the Financial Services Committee, which he used to hoover up campaign donations. With a campaign war chest of $5.2 million in 2014 — the second-largest of any Democratic House candidate that year — Murphy won reelection by almost 20 points.
Lincoln Chafee-esque... I really come away from this article thinking of Murphy as a little kid who's in way, way, way over his head

lmao at Grayson on Murphy:

quote:

A supporter asked when the two would debate. “It’ll never happen,” Grayson replied. “His father would never give him permission to go out that night. He never wants to get too far from his juice box.”

also, lmao at Grayson on Biden:

quote:

Perhaps, though, the episode suggests that national Democrats did not vet Murphy as carefully as they should have. Indeed, Grayson says that after he failed to get Joe Biden to endorse him — or at least not endorse Murphy — the vice-president called him to explain. “He started saying, ‘Well, Patrick is not as right-wing as you made him out to be,’ ” Grayson recalls. Grayson says Biden specifically mentioned Murphy’s stances on gay-rights issues and his leadership on repealing the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy. Grayson says he was puzzled, since Murphy hadn’t been elected to Congress when the policy was repealed in 2011, but he let Biden get off the phone. It was only later that he realized the vice-president had been talking about the voting record of a different Patrick Murphy, who represented Pennsylvania in Congress from 2006 to 2010 (Biden’s office denies this).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Grayson is a wifebeating scumbag, so frankly I don't care. Patrick Murphy is a dumbass blue dog who will likely lose to Rubio, but the Florida Democratic Party is such an omnishambles that Murphy is pretty much the Democrats' best odds of winning there, and these days even Blue Dogs in the Senate like Manchin and Heitkamp are brought in line most of the time.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Spatula City posted:

Grayson is a wifebeating scumbag, so frankly I don't care. Patrick Murphy is a dumbass blue dog who will likely lose to Rubio, but the Florida Democratic Party is such an omnishambles that Murphy is pretty much the Democrats' best odds of winning there, and these days even Blue Dogs in the Senate like Manchin and Heitkamp are brought in line most of the time.

ya literally the same day that great NYMag article comes out, this happens: https://twitter.com/apalmerdc/status/757986770562711552

I didn't know about the domestic abuse allegations. What a disaster of a race for Dems. Which is I guess what all the FL posters in this thread have been saying for months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
How did a race that looked like a clear pick up opportunity turn into such a disaster?

• Locked thread