Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i'd like a guild invite. odessa@baram#1170

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

baram. posted:

i'd like a guild invite. odessa@baram#1170

Invite sent.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Should I bother buying any of the skill kits? They seem to offer a lot of common/trash most of the time.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 15, 2017

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Eddain posted:

Should I bother buying any of the skill kits? They seem to offer a lot of common/trash most of the time.

They're not really worth it anymore but you can get green insignia to put on your mount to get bonuses.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Another ps4 starting player here looking to get into ps4 goonguild, psn j232000

Thranguy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 23, 2016

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Is there even a goon guild yet made by anyone on ps4?

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Hey if I want to make one character a kicking rad healer/support I wanna go cleric right?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OxMan posted:

Is there even a goon guild yet made by anyone on ps4?

I don't think so. I saw a post earlier with someone saying they were close to being able to start a guild but I haven't seen any updates on it yet.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey if I want to make one character a kicking rad healer/support I wanna go cleric right?

There's two classes that can do this: Devoted Cleric and Oathbound Paladin. Both have some pretty kicking-rad healing abilities and it just depends on if you want to support with buffs (DC) or tanking (OP) on the side.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Having a lot of fun wandering around with my Control Wizard throwing Magic Missiles at things. It seems like there's very little in terms of fan resources for the game. Lots of high level guides that don't really apply to me, but no tips on how to invest skill points at low levels. Any suggestions?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How is Devoted Cleric on a controller? I really enjoyed healing in FF14 but the lack of Keyboard and Mouse support for the PS4 makes me a bit hesitant to take on a healing role.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
What should I be saving up for with the coins I get from invoking?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Eddain posted:

What should I be saving up for with the coins I get from invoking?

For Ardent Coins, I'd recommend saving up for the companion. After that, I suppose you can get the mounts if the insignia bonus is any good. This is a handy dandy list of all insignia bonuses and the mounts that can carry them.

Since you can only stock up to 14 Celestial Coins, I'd save those up for one of the coffers. I prefer the Celestial Artifact Equipment one, but that's from an endgame perspective and it's your call. I prefer refining stones over enchantments.

edit: For power points, you actually need to allocate a minimum amount of points to unlock further powers, so you can afford to spend at least one point in every power to test them and figure out what works for you.

I'll get in touch with more experienced CWs to offer their two cents on a decent CW guide.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 24, 2016

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Wanderer's Fortune (You have a 4% chance after killing a foe to find a Refining Stone at your feet.) and Gladiator's Guile (When your Stamina is above 75%, you move 15% faster. When your Stamina is below 25%, gain 15% of your Power as Stamina Gain.) are two of the best mount bonuses for saving time/AD.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That sounds amazing.

Also, I really how they fix the framerate issues in the city at some point

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Can you give guild leadership to anyone after you make a guild? Id make the PS4 one but I don't have guild leader time past that.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I've got started on the PS4 this weekend- currently a level 26 Halfling TR- Camrath_kizuka on PSN if anyone wants to meet up tomorrow evening GMT.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

OxMan posted:

Can you give guild leadership to anyone after you make a guild? Id make the PS4 one but I don't have guild leader time past that.

You could on pc but you are exploring a giant heap of poo poo which even its developers do not know the laws of. Tread carefully and don't spend stupidly.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Hey I want to get into a guild on PS4, or I'll just start one with my non goony guys once they're lv 15 I guess. I'm now lv19 Control Wizard and lv13 Paladin. If I join a goon guild can my non goon mates join as well? There's 3 of them, we're all Aussies. My PSN is N0TA77TH3R3. (also someone friended me before but I hosed up and unfriended you, oops sorry I'll fix)

Really I just want a bank / exchange to dump and swap stuff from my nearly full inventory and have a crew to do group dungeons.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 25, 2016

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just started playing on PS4, can someone invite @updogmillionaire to the guild?

e: perhaps the OP should be updated to reflect if the PS4 version needs its own thread / guild as well.

So far, very impressed. Reminds me WoW and the good bits from Kingdoms of Amalur. Voice acting on the first captain guy is absolutely godawful, as is the voice acting on the trailer - they need to replace him because it gives the whole thing a very amateurish feel. And the menu controls on PS4 are godawful.

But all round, very very happy. Definitely going to drop real world cash on supporting this.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 25, 2016

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm trying, man.
I'm really trying to make this game happen

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So far I've made a GWF and CW and they definitely give me the perfect mix of variety I need and had trouble choosing between. This game is super fun and I obviously missed MMOs. Sometimes it makes me want to get back into WoW and buy the last few exps but this is still one of my favorite mmos even only from the starting areas. The combat is so satisfying it's like 80% of the draw for me. It works seamlessly with the DS4.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
gently caress me the UI is a miserable pile of poo poo on PS4. I can't select a profession I want because there's no way to select on the right at this moment. I also can't seem to compare items, though a sometimes I can depending on the fickle mood of the game. Also hiding traps isn't to bad, but reminding me every 3 seconds that I'm wounded is a little overboard.

It's like all the useful information is hidden in random arcane sub menues which while being pretty DnD it's also very loving annoying.

But I've taken a dwarf cleric to 10 and it's alright but I was wondering if I dicked myself by not going crazy optimal by missing a race or going charisma over strength. I figure I have just enough understanding and little enough progress that restarting isn't a huge deal.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Moochewmoo posted:

gently caress me the UI is a miserable pile of poo poo on PS4. I can't select a profession I want because there's no way to select on the right at this moment. I also can't seem to compare items, though a sometimes I can depending on the fickle mood of the game. Also hiding traps isn't to bad, but reminding me every 3 seconds that I'm wounded is a little overboard.

It's like all the useful information is hidden in random arcane sub menues which while being pretty DnD it's also very loving annoying.

But I've taken a dwarf cleric to 10 and it's alright but I was wondering if I dicked myself by not going crazy optimal by missing a race or going charisma over strength. I figure I have just enough understanding and little enough progress that restarting isn't a huge deal.

Weirdly enough Wisdom ends up being the worst cleric main stat. Take Strength + Charisma at every level up.

Strength is pretty much the best Cleric stat and dwarf isn't a bad choice. Dragonborn's probably the best race followed by half-orc or dwarf. Human used to be the best until they nerfed the feats into the dust. Halfling is good if you want to make a PVP tank DC though.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 26, 2016

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Moochewmoo posted:

I also can't seem to compare items, though a sometimes I can depending on the fickle mood of the game.
Turn off Voice Chat in the options.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would pay for a K&M option at this point

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Presteign posted:

Turn off Voice Chat in the options.

:psyduck:

How does turning off voice chat help compare items?

I mean, I have no problem believing that, but why?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

How do dungeons work in this? Are they three or 5 man? I swear I've seen both so I'm a little confused

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

omg chael crash posted:

How do dungeons work in this? Are they three or 5 man? I swear I've seen both so I'm a little confused

Both.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Specifically, the normal dungeons are 3-man and the epics are 5-man. And there are a few things that call for more than that and it's very confusing and chaotic.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Normal dungeons take 3, but epic dungeons and skirmishes (basically gauntlets of monsters with bosses at the end) require 5 people.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

What level do those 5 man dungeons start happening?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

What level do those 5 man dungeons start happening?

I think level 70. 3 mans are still a good source for Rough AD though.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Pooncha posted:

:psyduck:

How does turning off voice chat help compare items?

I mean, I have no problem believing that, but why?
Voice chat uses the small UI memory pool. For whatever reason item comparison tooltips are the first thing that gets dropped when it runs out of space, which happens in a number of situations. You'd think they'd budget enough memory for the UI to work in all conditions, but this is a very poorly optimized game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Cryptic's UI work is an absolute horror. I've watched STO's entire LCARS theme repaint itself, row by row, over and over again, on a slow computer.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ it's absolutely loving awful, there don't seem to be much consistency between whether you use L1, L2 or the direction buttons. There are a couple of different circumstances where it's either triangle or square to bring up a context menu.

omg chael crash posted:

I'm trying, man.
I'm really trying to make this game happen
Over literally the space of a day, I've gone from thinking I'd happily pay money to support this, to feeling butthurt enough about the bags that I kind of feel forced into buying them, and now resent the prospect of feeling forced to buy them rather than grinding for them (which you can't).

On reddit someone was explaining 'friction points' in microtransactions, the idea that you create a situation that's irritating, but not irritating enough to quit over, and then you offer a microtransaction fix.

The problem is that without buying bags with Zen, the game really isn't playable past 20. They've also relocated fast travel to a perk behind a high level of VIP transaction. So I'm starting to look at it as being on the wrong side of the friction point and feeling resentful at being forced to spend money to keep going, rather than genuinely wanting to.

Also there are way, way too many loving currencies.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 27, 2016

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
It's weird to see the perspective of a brand new player after having played this game since the beta (three years??). I could give you facile answers that could solve your issues but what it boils down to is free to play is free to play. If you don't like the grind and you don't want to pay money then this game is never going to be fun.

Personally I play when it's fun and don't when it's not, right now I'm fooling around on my wizard getting all the boons and that's fun despite doing the same thing every day and I can't explain that when last month I didn't play at all because it felt way too tedious.

But I also have like 9 max-level alts that exist solely to pray up astral diamonds to fund my VIP subscription and pump out refinement resources for a single character's gear. And pretty much unlimited time to manage them.

But if it makes you feel better, fast travel didn't even exist until they introduced VIP and they put in a low-level campaign* that gives you free access to a bunch of stuff so the game is actually easier to play for free now.

*at least on PC, I dunno anything about the console versions

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So I'm about to hit lvl 61 but I'm pretty under geared still. What's the best way to get myself decent starter equipment for the campaigns that just opened up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Do the Elemental Evil campaign. It's a chore to do in one sitting, so break it up into chunks, but the campaign liberally kits you out as you progress. Keep the gear you think looks nice as I'm about 80% sure the appearances of some of them can't be gotten anywhere else. Intended order to do/gear would be Drowned Shore, Reclamation Rock, Fiery Pit, and Spinward Rise.

If you're sitting on some AD or have friendly powerful buddies you can spot some Ensorcelled Mulhorand weapons and/or cloak. They level with you and are best-in-slot for most of your trek. Ancient can also work but their stats are lower than Ensorcelled. Try not to get the two confused.

• Locked thread