Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

gently caress that, the ridiculous nameplates are the best part.

Agreed, have as many dumb little details as they can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Sarcopenia posted:

I don't know what you're on about. I for one have always wanted to see a movie filmed entirely like a giant Piss Christ.

Haha, I did think about making an Andres Serrano reference.

Sarcopenia posted:

Enemy was also a sickly movie that is supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. Roland did that totally unintentionally.

Yeah, I feel it's a bit different if it's supposed to be a mood, rather than "let's make this look oldey timey!" The SBS TV series The Principal also had notable yellow colour grading, but it was significantly more subtle than Stonewall, which is the most aggressive version of a yellow tint I've ever seen.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, I feel it's a bit different if it's supposed to be a mood, rather than "let's make this look oldey timey!" The SBS TV series The Principal also had notable yellow colour grading, but it was significantly more subtle than Stonewall, which is the most aggressive version of a yellow tint I've ever seen.

Filters are usually an extremely lazy way to convey that your movie is set in an earlier and specific time period + it's rarely done well.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
O Brother Where Art Thou is probably the movie that gave everyone the idea for aggressive colour grading to make things look old-timey. I think they did a good job with that one though, possibly because it was something that hadn't become a cliche.

The Principal has a modern setting, it's just a bit dingy looking because it's set in the crap part of town. Looking at it again, it's VERY yellow, but at least it's a good show in all other respects. I think it's on US Netflix, so I'd encourage you to check it out! (also somebody stuck all the episodes on Vimeo.)

The Principal is Relevant To My Show because the whole secret surprise plot twist is THE PRINCIPAL IS GAYYYYY and that's how you know that he didn't murder anyone (it makes sense in context.)

Edit: hahaha incredible

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 22, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I forget, did Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas have a yellow filter too?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Beefstew posted:

Why does Doug hate Tarsem Singh? Other than "Doug Walker doesn't understand movies"?

You just answered your own question

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I forget, did Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas have a yellow filter too?

I'm pretty sure it did, at least the desert scenes.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Cyron posted:

there is a new rickhead on milo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP89Jp6V_5Y

brad and dave triggered the alt-right. look at them dislikes. please do more brad if you are reading this.

Honestly, this just makes me wish Brad would do more eps of the reviewers. This was part of that, but I liked that series as a form of satire on the internet reviewer concepts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mark Brown continues his series on Zelda dungeons with the first and most iconic 3D Zelda game, Ocarina of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO8Z1DkDqc

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Always been a huge fan of his Crown Vic Interceptor video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uH_X-9fjfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNF5sic8WHo

WEEABOO! WEEABOO WEEABOO WEEABOO WEEABOO

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've been watching RCR for a long time now, and I kinda like his older, more joke-y stuff more, but either way he's great. Especially NOT A CAR stuff. That said though I was kinda hesitant to post stuff here because, well, he can get offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74YRLoJRE_A

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 22, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Never saw those before. Pretty fun videos!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've been watching RCR for a long time now, and I kinda like his older, more joke-y stuff more, but either way he's great. Especially NOT A CAR stuff. That said though I was kinda hesitant to post stuff here because, well, he can get offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74YRLoJRE_A

eh, none of his videos have ever struck me as being any more offensive than a random Red Letter Media video, so I figured it'd be safe

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Pat the NES Punk talks about the NES Classic Edition coming out in November. Nintendo is making a mini-console that contains 30 of their best games from the NES era for $60. Apparently there's a lot of positive buzz from the non-retro crowd (ie. normies). If you want to get into retro-gaming but you feel conflicted about roms and emulators give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmdUJ8AMKx4

I hope it's part of a trend and there's eventually a move towards rereleasing old titles as nickel and dime DLC for these type of consoles. And hopefully they eventually do it with SNES too.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MrSlam posted:

Pat the NES Punk talks about the NES Classic Edition coming out in November. Nintendo is making a mini-console that contains 30 of their best games from the NES era for $60. Apparently there's a lot of positive buzz from the non-retro crowd (ie. normies). If you want to get into retro-gaming but you feel conflicted about roms and emulators give it a watch.

I hope it's part of a trend and there's eventually a move towards rereleasing old titles as nickel and dime DLC for these type of consoles. And hopefully they eventually do it with SNES too.

I'm kind of on the fence about this thing honestly. Stuff like NES and SNES games I much prefer to play on my 3DS.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm kind of on the fence about this thing honestly. Stuff like NES and SNES games I much prefer to play on my 3DS.

i like it since i can take it to my brothers house and show his kids what we played as kids, it a much better tool for that then chuging around a 30 year old prodoct that is a pain in the rear end to hook up (if your TV can still play it) or having the small screen of the 3DS, i mean i love laying in bed and playing megaman 2 but i would love to play it on the tv with my nieces and nephews.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sarcopenia posted:

Filters are usually an extremely lazy way to convey that your movie is set in an earlier and specific time period + it's rarely done well.

I have a lot of issues with the movie (because it basically glorifies people who were doing awful poo poo and responsible for a bunch of people ending up dead) but I thought Dallas Buyers Club had some decent if subtle color grading.

Cyron posted:

i like it since i can take it to my brothers house and show his kids what we played as kids, it a much better tool for that then chuging around a 30 year old prodoct that is a pain in the rear end to hook up (if your TV can still play it) or having the small screen of the 3DS, i mean i love laying in bed and playing megaman 2 but i would love to play it on the tv with my nieces and nephews.

Jailbreak a used Wii

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
My local art cinema has thier monthly bad film night, and the film was The Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf. After Lupa and Spoony's reviews I had to go see it.

It's as hilariously bad as they made it out to be.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNF5sic8WHo

WEEABOO! WEEABOO WEEABOO WEEABOO WEEABOO

I know a dude that owns a AE86 and this video is perfect.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Always been a huge fan of his Crown Vic Interceptor video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uH_X-9fjfI

I'm finding these extremely entertaining - I don't know crap about cars but these are pretty accessible even if you know nothing about them. Someone in the comments pointed out that Regular car dude apparently reviews the "cultural context" surrounding the car as much as he does the car itself. Being me, I'd like to know some boring details like how he gets access to the vehicles to review (does he just ask around to see if he can find people who own them?)
I watched the Police Interceptor video for a while and halfway through I was like "why is this car driving on the wrong side of the road' and then remembered that in the US it's left hand/right side drive. Haha. (In my defence it's pretty early in the morning here, brain isn't quite working.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm finding these extremely entertaining - I don't know crap about cars but these are pretty accessible even if you know nothing about them. Someone in the comments pointed out that Regular car dude apparently reviews the "cultural context" surrounding the car as much as he does the car itself. Being me, I'd like to know some boring details like how he gets access to the vehicles to review (does he just ask around to see if he can find people who own them?)
I watched the Police Interceptor video for a while and halfway through I was like "why is this car driving on the wrong side of the road' and then remembered that in the US it's left hand/right side drive. Haha. (In my defence it's pretty early in the morning here, brain isn't quite working.)

The best part of that video was, as a DC metro area resident, how spot on he was about the driving culture.

It's the actual worst.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Jailbreak a used Wii

Wii's are fantastic retro console machines in general, just make drat sure you get the older Vertical model, not the Horizontal one. They play Gamecube games (the easy visual tell-tale difference is which way the word "Wii" is oriented on the front of the console).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MrSlam posted:

Personally, I'm not that keen on it, but that's because I've already got the Wii U, and I could buy a lot of those games via the eShop. Not to mention that the eShop also offers games for SNES and GBA. I know emulation falls under :filez:, but in some cases, it the most convenient way to play some of the more obscure titles, or titles that aren't offered through the eShop.

Like Pat said in the video, though, it's something that's geared towards the average person, rather than the enthusiast set. When most people see it, they'll be happy to see they can replay Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda, rather than being disappointed about not being able to play Journey to Silius or The Magic of Scheherazade.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Jailbreak a used Wii

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wii's are fantastic retro console machines in general, just make drat sure you get the older Vertical model, not the Horizontal one. They play Gamecube games (the easy visual tell-tale difference is which way the word "Wii" is oriented on the front of the console).
I've never heard of jailbreaking a Wii before. I figured the Virtual Console shop for the original Wii wasn't running anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Still working AND accessible through Wii Mode on a WiiU.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rich Evans attempts to apologize for calling Youtubers pricks. Oh, and they talk about The Road Warrior.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Lord Humongous is one of those movie characters who I want to see star in their own movie. As brutal and horrible as his band is, I want to see what he was like before the world ended. Man what a great movie.

But they're right in that Fury Road is better. Comparing good movies to good movies is tough. What do you want with your cake? This premium ice-cream or this deluxe premium ice-cream?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

Hey nerds I know this is outside the threads usual wheelhouse but it's still an internet critic, albeit of a different stripe

Regular Car Reviews!

His car show videos (he's in full Plinkett mode for most of these) are a good starter package to get your toes wet, and then

you jump right in

at the PT Cruiser.

I'm like, only barely a 'car person' and this guy is fantastic. His PT Cruiser video was actually...a genuinely fascinating look at the cultural forces that shaped how we joke about it and all...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Breaking News: Jim Sterling might have found a press conference worse than Konami 2010.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

The best part of that video was, as a DC metro area resident, how spot on he was about the driving culture.

It's the actual worst.

I shall have to take your word for it. I visited the beltway area but I just took trains. The only cities I've driven in are my own, and Sydney, which is stressful and you have to merge really aggressively if you want to change lanes. I got an international drivers' license so I could drive when I went to US & Canada, just in case, but I didn't end up using it which is probably just as well as I'm sure I would have zoned out and tried to drive on the wrong side of the road while trying to indicate and accidentally turning on the windscreen wipers instead. Disastrous!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm like, only barely a 'car person' and this guy is fantastic. His PT Cruiser video was actually...a genuinely fascinating look at the cultural forces that shaped how we joke about it and all...

Yeah, they're really compelling even if you know nothing about cars. Definitely adding this guy to the list of things to watch (along with other bizarre crap like MRE reviews, god, why the hell am I so addicted to MRE reviews now?)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meals ready to eat?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

:haw:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Going to assume this was run by whoever handles the Sonic Twitter account, with the same level of attention to quality.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Gnome de plume posted:

Going to assume this was run by whoever handles the Sonic Twitter account, with the same level of attention to quality.

i love that guy in the same way i love the iron sheik twitter, it just stupid.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Meals ready to eat?

Yes! Let me recommend some MRE/ration reviewers for the thread!

Kiwidude - who is a Kiwi, and I believe a civilian. Reviews rations from all over the world, and most notably, at the end of most videos he gets his child to try them. She is probably the least fussy 4-6 year old I've ever seen, I haven't seen her dislike anything yet. Here's a shortish review to start with, of a Polish ration.

Gschultz - who is American, and is/was previously in the army? Mostly reviews MREs but there are a couple of reviews of international rations. He's notable because he has an intensely soothing voice. Here's one from his MRE basics series.

Also Emmymadeinjapan is a general food reviewer and she's done a few MRE reviews.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

O Brother Where Art Thou is probably the movie that gave everyone the idea for aggressive colour grading to make things look old-timey. I think they did a good job with that one though, possibly because it was something that hadn't become a cliche.

The Principal has a modern setting, it's just a bit dingy looking because it's set in the crap part of town. Looking at it again, it's VERY yellow, but at least it's a good show in all other respects. I think it's on US Netflix, so I'd encourage you to check it out! (also somebody stuck all the episodes on Vimeo.)

The Principal is Relevant To My Show because the whole secret surprise plot twist is THE PRINCIPAL IS GAYYYYY and that's how you know that he didn't murder anyone (it makes sense in context.)

Yeah it was really great for O Brother. Hot, old timey south and fever dreams.

Cool, I'm going to look into that. I see why you would make a bold choice in the color grading of your not so over the top budgettet tv series, to make it stand out.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Edit: hahaha incredible

Holy loving :lol:

Btw thanks but no thanks Sphere for reminding me about Roland's Stonewall. Why the gently caress argue about Zack Snyder whenn you can fume about that loving hot garbage of a movie. God I loving hate it and I can not fathom that it's made by an actual homosexual, it is so utterly tonedeaf and disrespectful.
Speaking of, are you ever going to do a review on The Danish Girl? I had some danish trans girl friends and acquaintances who felt kind of devastated by it, which is why I have no desire to watch it. But I'd totally be up for a review from you!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

Cool, I'm going to look into that. I see why you would make a bold choice in the color grading of your not so over the top budgettet tv series, to make it stand out.

I really liked the show, I thought it was a good depiction of an aspect of Australia that doesn't usually find its way onscreen. Also, speaking of Australian queer TV - look out for Barracuda! It's an absurdly homoerotic (and canonically gay) drama about a guy on a swimming team in the 90s. Currently airing so it might be hard to find but it might show up on a streaming service eventually, idk.

Sarcopenia posted:

Btw thanks but no thanks Sphere for reminding me about Roland's Stonewall. Why the gently caress argue about Zack Snyder whenn you can fume about that loving hot garbage of a movie. God I loving hate it and I can not fathom that it's made by an actual homosexual, it is so utterly tonedeaf and disrespectful.
Speaking of, are you ever going to do a review on The Danish Girl? I had some danish trans girl friends and acquaintances who felt kind of devastated by it, which is why I have no desire to watch it. But I'd totally be up for a review from you!

Oh noo, I'm not sure I can do that to myself directly after Stonewall. It's on my "list" though, if/when I ever get around to watching it - but I do like to break up the poo poo with the good, even though people seem to like me tearing down crap films the best. Much like Stonewall, it sounds like it's doubly insulting BECAUSE the actual real historical events are a really worthwhile story and are worth learning about - but the facts/presentation are just incredibly off. Plus, from what I understand about the film, it ignores the fact that Lilli and her wife were bi, in order to make the story way more "No I am losing my lover because now they aren't the gender presentation I prefer and also jealousy and blah blah ablahaskdhkjhfak!"

HOWEVER! I am intending to review a comic next, which was released by the US military in order to explain Don't Ask Don't Tell to their soldiers. It's...not very good. Like holy crap the art is just hideous and the use of the comic format is terrible. I've been searching for some background information around DADT/personal accounts of queer people in the military under DADT/the way DADT affected reporting of sexual violence etc etc, only to find....SOME INCREDIBLE INSANITY in the form of a website called GAY BULLYING IS REAL.
Choice screenshot!

It's not the first time I've found some absolutely horrible/hilarious/horrible poo poo when searching for information about sexual violence for an episode - way back when I reviewed Fortune and Men's Eyes, aka Prison Rape: The Movie, I was looking for some information on sexual violence in prison - and golly gee, one of the first links that came up was loving Stormfront.
I think that conservative homophobes must have some weird obsession with male/male rape or something - like..it somehow proves that gay people are evil. Mr GayBullyingIsReal is an incredible case because he doesn't understand that correlation doesn't equal causation, and all the "supporting evidence" he links to on his blog completely disproves any point he's trying to make. One post is about how male/male rape increased after DADT was dissolved - and the "supporting evidence" was a survivor account of a guy who was raped when DADT was still in affect, and was unable to report it without being dismissed for "homosexual conduct" because apparently being raped counts as homosexual conduct.

TL:dr conservative homophobes/horrible nazis have a weird obsession with male/male rape?!? Tempted to put all this stuff together in a document for the f plus.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Infamous Sphere posted:

TL:dr conservative homophobes/horrible nazis have a weird obsession with male/male rape?!? Tempted to put all this stuff together in a document for the f plus.
File this under "men terrified of being treated same way as they treat women".

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Its amazing how well they managed to encapsulate 25 years of Sonic into one party.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Infamous Sphere posted:

Unfortunately, they don't. In fact they often shame men for being weak enough to 'allow themselves' to be raped.

But when someone female talks about their experiences or deeper problems with our society's approach to these issues, their hearts spontaneously bleed for the poor male victims whose voices aren't being heard enough.

If they actually obsessed about this issue, they might eventually do something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The only qualm I might have about Regular Car Reviews is the video where he goes to a gaming convention and there's a still for like 9 minutes where he starts gargling like some sort of gonzo journalist about the state of some small time game convention, where he sorta goes beyond just "heh, cars".

Sorta removed some stuff about his past, felt it would be unfair on the judgement here.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 23, 2016

• Locked thread