Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aquarium Gravel posted:

Stranger Things is a big ol' Stephen King love letter through the lens of early Spielberg. I mainlined the last 4 episodes last night. You can't go wrong.

Same.

The middle school the young losers go to has 'cubs' as its mascot XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

nate fisher posted:

It is like ET, Stand By Me, Close Encounters, Firestarter, Goonies, and so on were all wrapped into a series laced with 80's nostalgia and set to the music of John Carpenter (think The Fog Soundtrack). I got 2 more episodes to go, but as a child/teenager of the 80's, I loved it.

This is a pedant's battle, but Joe Dante is a bigger influence on the show than anything else and its' kind of bumming me out that nobody's name-checking him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

This is a pedant's battle, but Joe Dante is a bigger influence on the show than anything else and its' kind of bumming me out that nobody's name-checking him.

I mean, there's definitely some strong Explorers vibes going, maybe a little bit of Gremlins and the 'Burbs, but a bigger influence than anything else compared to the Stephen King plot, Spielberg characters/direction and the Carpenter soundtrack is going to need some evidence for me to take serious, bud.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
So none of you popped your cherry in a bloody sewer gangbang with your peeps? Amateurs.

I'll have to check out Stranger Things, The Fog is one of my favourite horror movies and I love the score. Is Hemlock Grove any good?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Hemlock Grove any good?

No, but if you're curious, this is the best part.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

That was the poo poo, cheers.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I finished End of Watch and it was a mediocre end to a generally pretty good trilogy. Oh well.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just watched the movie version of Apt Pupil. I mostly thought it was OK but I felt like they cut out too much of what made the story so effective toward the end. It was also odd seeing an actor like Ian Mckellen in a Stephen King movie based not even on a novel but a short story. I thought he did alright though and was roughly how I pictured Dussander when I first read it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nate fisher posted:

Tabitha strongly disagrees.

in like half of his books a woman has three orgasms just from intercourse (and specifically in the bev/abusive husband scene). this is not how it works for most women no matter how good a guy is at dicking.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just watched the movie version of Apt Pupil. I mostly thought it was OK but I felt like they cut out too much of what made the story so effective toward the end. It was also odd seeing an actor like Ian Mckellen in a Stephen King movie based not even on a novel but a short story. I thought he did alright though and was roughly how I pictured Dussander when I first read it.

What's the general consensus on the best King to film adaptation? The Shining? Shawshank? Stand By Me? because 2 of those 3 are short stories/novellas. Someone needs to wise up and make "The Long Walk" into a film. Wouldn't even need a big budget. I bet a fan made movie could make it work.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone needs to wise up and make "The Long Walk" into a film. Wouldn't even need a big budget. I bet a fan made movie could make it work.

I'd like to see it done on an indie budget, but a fan film is probably the only way to ensure some studio VP doesn't turn it into The Long Hunger Walk trilogy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

What's the general consensus on the best King to film adaptation? The Shining? Shawshank? Stand By Me? because 2 of those 3 are short stories/novellas. Someone needs to wise up and make "The Long Walk" into a film. Wouldn't even need a big budget. I bet a fan made movie could make it work.

I think they each are held up as The Best by different groups. Horror fans get The Shining and Carrie, Drama fans get Shawshank and The Green Mile, and everyone else likes Stand By Me. I'd throw in Misery for fans of Thrillers, though that movie isn't as widely watched anymore for some reason.

Also, you probably just gave Darabont heartburn. Dude's been trying to make The Long Walk for a decade now.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just started reading end of watch immediately after finishing the newish neal stephenson and the transition between a writer comfortable with modern technology to stephen king is incredibly jarring, combined with the constant stuff about aging and disease and doctors it just makes him seem so old and not in a cool wise old man way. like I'm worried about his mental state but not in the way you're supposed to worry about a horror writer's mental state

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

tthe mist

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I can't see a Long Walk movie being successful for non-King fans who haven't read it. That's probably why it hasn't been made yet - I feel like a writer would have to shoehorn in a backstory explaining why the Walk exists, and that would most likely ruin it and people would probably see it as a lame ripoff of hunger games.

Maybe a direct to TV movie would be better for the story as it's written, but there must be a reason it hasn't been done already considering how extremely low budget it could be while still adequately telling the story.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Walk isn't really explained in the book either, it's just kind of a thing that happens. I'm surprised it hasn't been made into a film, it feels like it would be one of his easier novels to adapt to a film format. I think it's probably too dark to have much mainstream success though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

The Shawshank Redemption, easily.

I feel like The Long Walk would only work properly as a movie for people who really liked the book and then only if the movie was done exactly right. I know that the story is a forum favorite but I don't think it's movie material at all.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love the Long Walk story but think it would make a bad movie

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
I'm so glad Suzanna isn't going to be in the new Dark Tower movie. I may actually watch it now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

I'm so glad Suzanna isn't going to be in the new Dark Tower movie. I may actually watch it now.

What about Detta and Odetta?

I really need to see a girl breaking plates and saying honk mawfa.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It's uh, for a project.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
What's the deal with the end of The Long Walk anyway? The way I took Ray seeing the shadowy figure at the end and running away from the Major is that the character earlier on in the book who said that all the entrants were hosed even the winner was correct and that there was no prize or anything for winning and that even the winner of the Walk sees death in the end. Or maybe was he just going bonkers after walking for 300 miles? I like ambiguous endings, but at the same time I also hate them :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I thought it was pretty clear the figure he ran to was meant to be death. I doubt all winners die, and maybe even Ray didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of them snap and are too nuts to actually use the Prize. I always thought that was why they talked about the Prize the way they did - never a set amount, just "whatever you want for life", which for an insane person who knows what it was but I doubt they had to pay a lot/anything a lot of the time.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

I thought it was pretty clear the figure he ran to was meant to be death. I doubt all winners die, and maybe even Ray didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of them snap and are too nuts to actually use the Prize. I always thought that was why they talked about the Prize the way they did - never a set amount, just "whatever you want for life", which for an insane person who knows what it was but I doubt they had to pay a lot/anything a lot of the time.

It's kind of like where in "Hunger Games" the "winners" are all PTSD-riddled nutcases.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

d0s posted:

I just started reading end of watch immediately after finishing the newish neal stephenson and the transition between a writer comfortable with modern technology to stephen king is incredibly jarring, combined with the constant stuff about aging and disease and doctors it just makes him seem so old and not in a cool wise old man way. like I'm worried about his mental state but not in the way you're supposed to worry about a horror writer's mental state

Yeah, King should probably set all his future novels safely in the past, like the 70's to mid 90's period: he just can't DO contemporary technology and it's pretty cringey to read when he tries. I appreciate that he's making the effort but god, whenever he starts on: "well, how about this here interweb thingy..." I'm all oh god please just stop :(

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So it looks like The Dark Tower has an ARG, iTunes is carrying an app for "The Sombra Group"

quote:

The official Sombra Group App brings you all the information you need to know about the Sombra Group and its subsidiaries.

Built using cutting edge North Central Positronics technologies, our app will bring worlds to the palm of your hand.

edit:

So it has a picture scanner that does different things depending what you point it at. For example, if you point it at the new Entertainment Weekly...

If you scan any of the images tweeted by Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey, or Stephen King related to the Dark Tower....creepy loving poo poo happens. I've compiled them together for easy access if you want to try it.

edit2: The Sombra logo also triggers the same creepy effect.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 23, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's Sombra Corporation not Group..gosh. They didn't even get the company logo right.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's Sombra Corporation not Group..gosh. They didn't even get the company logo right.

That confused me too until I checked the part of the app labelled "OUR SUBSIDIARIES":

quote:

The Sombra Group is composed of numerous successful subsidiaries that are all leaders in their various fields such as technology, real estate, and construction:
North Central Positronics
Sombra Corporation
LaMerk Industries
Mills Construction
Sombra Real Estate
TransCorp

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That confused me too until I checked the part of the app labelled "OUR SUBSIDIARIES":

Oh, ok, that makes sense then. Still, I've never really been into ARGs so I'll pass. There are always a group of turbonerds who are going to be spending 24/7 on this so someone like me is always going to be days behind everyone else.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yessss confirmed that he's got the Horn of Eld with him this time and that it's the last cycle. So pleased they went this direction with the concept.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I have mixed feelings about it being the last cycle. That implies he's going to finally redeem himself in the eyes of Gan and get a break from it all, but he still had a long, long way to go in my opinion in the books, even toward the end. A lot is going to have to change besides just having the horn, I guess.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe he never completes his quest and Roland's life just keeps alternating between the two timelines. Timeline 1 (book timeline) ends resulting in Timeline 2 (movie timeline) which ends resulting in Timeline 1, etc.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

While we're on the topic, something I always wondered is if the people of In-World cared so much about the Tower and protecting it etc, why did they live as far as possible from it? It seems like the geography should have been the opposite of what it was, like having to go far from the tower to find all the hosed up monsters and stuff.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There is a film of The Long Walk, it's called They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, and it's terrifying.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Murphy Brownback posted:

I have mixed feelings about it being the last cycle. That implies he's going to finally redeem himself in the eyes of Gan and get a break from it all, but he still had a long, long way to go in my opinion in the books, even toward the end. A lot is going to have to change besides just having the horn, I guess.

Well that's kind of the beauty of it. It means that anything that they don't want from the books can be changed or outright left out, but still have an in-context explanation.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Murphy Brownback posted:

While we're on the topic, something I always wondered is if the people of In-World cared so much about the Tower and protecting it etc, why did they live as far as possible from it? It seems like the geography should have been the opposite of what it was, like having to go far from the tower to find all the hosed up monsters and st uff.

Geography is hosed up now, though. Maybe the Tower was in In-World but as the Beams broke down it slipped off which is why Roland is actively searching for it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, King should probably set all his future novels safely in the past, like the 70's to mid 90's period: he just can't DO contemporary technology and it's pretty cringey to read when he tries. I appreciate that he's making the effort but god, whenever he starts on: "well, how about this here interweb thingy..." I'm all oh god please just stop :(

I just feel like he doesn't have any advisers on that subject for some reason, like you can tell with the EMT stuff at the beginning he had some EMT giving him real, inside knowledge of that profession and that sequence worked really well, it was great. I think he's either got his kids giving him advice when it come to computer crap or some other non professional, in any case it's someone who doesn't really get how computer people talk and it's just as jarring as if he had the cops or EMTs talking all goofy, maybe even moreso since most people interact with IT people more often at work and stuff. I don't have any great love for that profession,it just takes me out of the story and makes me feel like I'm reading a dad e-mail

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
King had a great adviser on carny slang though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I was plugging holes in my reading and only just finished that story myself. I can't quite see how they would've done the book though, since its just a long stretch of them both killing people and skipping ahead in years. I do think its kind of funny that the movie balks from killing the cat though. The movie is supposed to be about the nature of evil, but it kind of skimps on a lot of that entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

syscall girl posted:

What about Detta and Odetta?

I really need to see a girl breaking plates and saying honk mawfa.

No Detta or Odetta either. Remember, she left and went back to NYC with Eddie at the end of #7. So no Eddie either. Although, if the movie does well, they're not ruling either one out for future installments, possibly in other media.