Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Spermando posted:

I think you got this totally backwards. The translation makes his way of speaking more consistent (in Japanese he swings between well-educated guy and generic anime thug) and the VA makes him sound way more feminine and distinct than most bad guy voices. The translation also made him sound more unique instead of just repeating generic stuff like "Weak! Weak!"

No, that's literally why Seitz's Dio isn't good. It misses the point of him. Dio is a really inconsistent person.

Dio is out of his head. He is a well-educated man, a qualified lawyer and a total thug. If he wants something he can't get with his charm, he takes it. (See: mind control buds). Dio is also pretty feminine, which Koyasu carries sublimely, and he should be distinct. which Koyasu is. That's why he's good. The other aspect to him is that he's all bravado and show. He's not a good fighter or whatever, his Stand is exceptionally good, but he's not actually good at using it. Koyasu is Wataru Takagi (Okuyasu) levels of perfect for the role. Daisuke Ono is up there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

EmmyOk posted:

I decided to screenshot some of the stuff that flickers by in the newest OP to see if recent events shed much light on them. I'll timg them so other anime only people can skip them if they don't like looking for stuff in OPs considering the prior ones were kind of spoilery if you knew the series. I'm anime only too though if that helps!

This one is pretty clearly Kira's fridge by the looks of things, you can see the door and some milk on the right hand side. Pretty weird that the jars are labelled SOUP though.

This one was tricky to spot, it's a really fast transition shot between the group and some pigeons at the start. You can see the blurry reflection of some girls in the nail as well as what looks like a clipping scissors. Most likely Kira and one of his hands. The reflections might be future or past victims? The foreground one might be Yukako? Her hair is fairly big and Yukako's did get cut down a lot after her Koichi fight.

At first I was like no big deal with this one because it's just Kira and a hand, but if you look closely you can see pink nail polish! They made a big show of it last episode so I think this is Reimi's hand. At first I didn't think the handcutter killed her because her ghost had both hands. Her ghost has a back scar so clearly ghosts reflect damage done while they were living but I figure he cut the hand off after she died so the ghost has both hands.

At first I thought this was some kind of gravedigger or something but once I paused it I realised he was holding the arrow. I thought this might be Tamami but he looks super old, that being said Josuke's hair story implied time fuckery might happen later on. Also assuming that was Josuke who saved himself the older Josuke had blood around his mouth like he'd been in a fight beforehand.

Anyways other anime only people please wildly speculate with me!

I have a theory that there's more than one killer around. Like you said, Reimi's scars don't match Kira's style. He's been shown to go after women only, when they're alone. Plus, it seems he treats his victim (or at least their hand) as if they were in love. Why would he traumatize his girlfriend by showing her her dead dog?

Now, look at the big J at the end:

Since Kira is the main villain, that has to be his symbol in the top right.

It also shows up in the first OP, along with symbols of the other main characters (Oku's dollar, Rohan's pen tip etc.). Note the two daggers.
However, the skull in the middle of the second OP is different:

Different skull shape, narrower eyesockets, and it looks like it has horns, as opposed to the ears that Kira's symbol has. And it doesn't have daggers.

But it does have a creepy hand with huge claws. Ones that could leave a huge wound on someones back.
And look what shows up for a split-second after the camera zooms behind Reimi:

Same narrow eyesockets. I think that's the killer from 15 years ago, and Kira's introduction in this episode was a clever fakeout.

There's some more skulls when the pictures of the crew start burning up, but I don't know how that ties in with all this yet:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Spermando posted:

I think you got this totally backwards. The translation makes his way of speaking more consistent (in Japanese he swings between well-educated guy and generic anime thug) and the VA makes him sound way more feminine and distinct than most bad guy voices. The translation also made him sound more unique instead of just repeating generic stuff like "Weak! Weak!"

That's the point. Dio has an affectation of sophistication and high class, but when under pressure, that facade falls apart and he's revealed as a petty, childish rear end in a top hat who's exactly a product of the upbringing he's trying to escape. If the English translation makes him consistently one or the other, that's a massive misunderstanding of his character.

Ah yes, Dio, the character that says really generic lines like "WRRRYYYYY", "how much bread have you eaten in your life", and "gudbai jyojyo!". About the last things anyone could claim about Dio is he has a generic manner of speaking or lack of memorable lines.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spermando posted:

Dio is an anime thug that really really wants to pretend he's well-educated

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This works surprisingly well.

Dragonwagon posted:

I have a theory that there's more than one killer around. Like you said, Reimi's scars don't match Kira's style. He's been shown to go after women only, when they're alone. Plus, it seems he treats his victim (or at least their hand) as if they were in love. Why would he traumatize his girlfriend by showing her her dead dog?

Maybe he's only attracted to the hands? He'll just relentlessly and messily murder anything and anyone else in the way but save the hands for himself and make sure they are kept lovely and clean.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Augus posted:

Maybe he's only attracted to The Hands?

Oh no Okayasu :ohdear:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
When Okuyasu lost his arm to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kira's eye started twitching rapdily

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think it's fair to say Dio is bad at fighting, he shows in the boxing match that he's quite good. His solution to Hamon users in Phantom Boots is pretty clever too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like how much convincing it took for Rohan to want to catch a murderer.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
After the talk in this episode I went back to watch the first scene again. Now, I didn't know Kira's deal going into this anime but I did know the main villain was a scary serial killer with some kind of crazy stand. I'd assumed that scene had the woman making breakfast for herself, and then somehow Kira instantly killed her and destroyed her entire body with his stand between her setting down the plate and sitting down in her chair.

But on re-watching it, only her one, right hand is visible the entire time. It was Kira using the spatula and flipping the eggs and such, he just used her hand like a creepy weirdo for everything.

I like Kira a lot as a villain already.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I like how much convincing it took for Rohan to want to catch a murderer.

She wasn't even asking him to do that, she just wanted them to at least tell the police, but Rohan couldn't be damned.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Rangpur posted:

For real though, we've known there was a serial killer since the 1st episode but I didn't expect the reveal in this one, nor did I expect it to be so effective. Yikes. TBH, the first thing I thought of was the Derry interludes in Stephen King's IT. Which is also about a small town with a mysteriously high rate of disappearance thanks to a supernatural serial killer.

DIU definitely makes me think about IT a little; also, the alley scene when they can't turn back reminds me a lot of Pet Sematary, when there's stuff that you see/hear on the path or deadfall that you're just supposed to ignore and walk past without turning back. Something that Araki consistently does well is just insert a weird story into the middle of everything that magically just works.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Momomo posted:

She wasn't even asking him to do that, she just wanted them to at least tell the police, but Rohan couldn't be damned.

She did note Rohan is really selfish. He prevented Koichi from going to school just to look at an alleyway that wasn't on a map and then tried to guilt trip him for saying no initially.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She did note Rohan is really selfish. He prevented Koichi from going to school just to look at an alleyway that wasn't on a map and then tried to guilt trip him for saying no initially.

well, yeah??? koichi can just catch up on his studies whenever, this is really interesting and could make them money if figure it out. it's honestly incredibly selfish of koichi to care more about something frivolous like having fun in youth than something that could benefit both of them like real-world knowledge. rohan is completely unselfish and he's never done anything wrong

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Adelheid posted:

well, yeah??? koichi can just catch up on his studies whenever, this is really interesting and could make them money if figure it out. it's honestly incredibly selfish of koichi to care more about something frivolous like having fun in youth than something that could benefit both of them like real-world knowledge. rohan is completely unselfish and he's never done anything wrong

Rohan just wants to learn more so he can give the good readers of Japan interesting manga to read every week. A noble and pure cause if ever there was one.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

Rohan just wants to learn more so he can give the good readers of Japan interesting manga to read every week. A noble and pure cause if ever there was one.

honestly, he was forced to take a month off due to injuries (THANKS, JOSUKE, FOR DEPRIVING US OF THIS LEGEND) but he really may as well use his vacation time to make sure he's even better when he starts back up again. that's just called being responsible

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Adelheid posted:

honestly, he was forced to take a month off due to injuries (THANKS, JOSUKE, FOR DEPRIVING US OF THIS LEGEND) but he really may as well use his vacation time to make sure he's even better when he starts back up again. that's just called being responsible

But enough about togashi

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Isshin Chiba was a better Dio than Koyasu

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Chiba's muda muda muda is undefeatable

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In the OVA dub, Dio is voiced by the same guy who voices Grendel in The Wolf Among Us well that's my trivia for the day, bye.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

In the OVA dub, Dio is voiced by the same guy who voices Grendel in The Wolf Among Us well that's my trivia for the day, bye.

The BEST character from that game, too

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I love how Rohan was violently beaten by Josuke enough to delay his manga updates and destroy his house, yet he's back on his feet one arc later. Similarly with Hazamada.

Meanwhile, Tamami is still in the hospital. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want a bit where someone tries to read over Rohan's shoulder but he turns the pages so fast that they just keep leaving after-images and it's like trying to read words on a 5-dimensional object.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

OVA Dio was a good voice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BillmasterCozb posted:

The BEST character from that game, too

Grendel was great.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

In the OVA Wilson Phillips is voiced by Charles Martinet

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

In the OVA Wilson Phillips is voiced by Charles Martinet

Let's-a go!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Seeing Part 4 makes me want to watch Yu Yu Hakusho. They seem very similiar.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Fat_Cow posted:

Seeing Part 4 makes me want to watch Yu Yu Hakusho. They seem very similiar.

Absolutely watch Yu Yu Hakusho! Funimation has it streaming and it's a ton of fun.

bleh I wanna show a yu yu hakusho/DIU mashup gif here but it kinda shows a Stand design we haven't seen yet: link

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 24, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yu Yu Hakusho is incredibly good. Also up there with Cowboy Bebop and FMA for best english dubs, imo.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yeah, the dub for it is surprisingly good. I grabbed all the blu-rays when they were on sale and figured I'd let the dubs run in the background while I'm working and it's a blast.

Kuwabara is the greatest and Kurama and Hiei are pretty dang awesome, too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Josuke thinks that the ghost probably mistook him for Kuwabara but is willing to give solving this murder a chance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Absolutely watch Yu Yu Hakusho! Funimation has it streaming and it's a ton of fun.

bleh I wanna show a yu yu hakusho/DIU mashup gif here but it kinda shows a Stand design we haven't seen yet: link

Well there's always this. http://www.superpose.tv/?v=OaFxSnvlpc

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think it's fair to say Dio is bad at fighting, he shows in the boxing match that he's quite good. His solution to Hamon users in Phantom Boots is pretty clever too.

Yeah, he just doesn't have any real finesse or sophistication with his fighting. It's more like bar brawling and using whatever weapons he can or just what he thinks is funny.

Which contrasts with his whole Educated British Villain image, which is entirely the point. That and, as an audience, we're so used to Educated British Villains that it's weird and off putting when one acts thuggish and brawly like Dio does. But it makes perfect sense for Dio because again, that's the point of his character.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Yeah, the dub for it is surprisingly good. I grabbed all the blu-rays when they were on sale and figured I'd let the dubs run in the background while I'm working and it's a blast.

Kuwabara is the greatest and Kurama and Hiei are pretty dang awesome, too.

Kuwabara's VA is still the voice I hear in my head whenever there's a punk with a pompadour in anything.

It's just so perfect!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
URAMESHIIIII

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jotaro is scary.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 24, 2016

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Magical.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I hope there's another Zeppeli character in JoJos one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Surprisingly Dope posted:

I hope there's another Zeppeli character in JoJos one day

If I recall correctly, don't Zeppeli clan die helping Joestars? I read that somewhere, don't remember where.

• Locked thread