Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mishaq posted:

also holy poo poo has anyone visited blackberry's website lately?

http://us.blackberry.com/home.html

lmfao

aaaaaahahahaahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

what's the latest in innovative battery-pull apps that tweet when they fire off??

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

aaaaaahahahaahahahaha

I'm the javascript that detects IE7

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I'm the javascript that detects IE7

just put it in Enterprise Mode™. this is rim, baby

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Chen literally doesn't know anything about his products

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Chen doesn't want to piss off governments since it's their contracts that keep blackberry afloat

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Tayter Swift posted:

Chen doesn't want to piss off governments since it's their contracts that keep blackberry afloat

do they, though?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
yeah fair point

I'm getting flashbacks to the initial introduction of the iPhone when silly balls/lizard lips declared the iPhone to be magic and/or physically impossible

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

their website looks abandoned, in the way that marketing sites for movies are

http://www.spacejam.com

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

new phones!

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/7/1/12080608/blackberry-android-phones-release-mercury-argon-neon

quote:

The three phones are reportedly codenamed Neon, Argon, and Mercury. The Neon will be the first to market in either July or August and is said to come with these specs:

5.2-inch 1080p touchscreen (no physical keyboard)
Snapdragon 617 processor
3GB of RAM and 16GB of storage
2610mAh battery
13-megapixel rear-facing camera, 8-megapixel front-facing camera

The Argo is rumored to be coming out in October with these incredibly better specs:

5.5-inch QHD touchscreen display
Snapdragon 820 processor
4GB of RAM and 32GB of storage
3000mAh battery with QuickCharge 3.0
Fingerprint scanner
21-megapixel rear-facing camera, 8-megapixel front-facing camera

And finally, we have the Mercury, which is supposedly coming out during the first quarter of 2017. This one will have the classic Blackberry physical keyboard

4.5-inch HD screen
Snapdragon 625 processor
3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage
3400mAh battery
18-megapixel rear-facing camera, 8-megapixel front-facing camera

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol 4.5" screen AND a full keyboard AND 25% more battery volume than the next size up model that thing is going to be a trainwreck that only people with belt holsters will buy

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol 4.5" screen AND a full keyboard AND 25% more battery volume than the next size up model that thing is going to be a trainwreck that only people with belt holsters will buy

and it will outsell the other two at a 4:1:1 ratio

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

well yeah who the hell is going to drop $650 on a blackberry smartphone with zero feature differentiation from the garbage shamsung is pumping out

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
who are the people working at rim? i mean, laugh all you want at their lineup of dum dum-phones, but it realistically takes some skilled people to make actual, physical telephones.

why in the hell are those people still working at rim?!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

and it will outsell the other two at a 4:1:1 ratio

yes, 4 units of the first model and one each of the two others

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

double ohm seven posted:

who are the people working at rim? i mean, laugh all you want at their lineup of dum dum-phones, but it realistically takes some skilled people to make actual, physical telephones.

probably get paid well and they live in canada, not many other options

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

a dude i used to work with left my old company to go to rim in 2009 and was all smug about it being this great career move for him

he stopped defending blackberry on facebook a few years ago lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

double ohm seven posted:

lots of people graduate with a 2.5gpa. see also: amd

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

double ohm seven posted:

the entire company is university of waterloo interns and whatever managers were both crafty and stupid enough to avoid layoffs.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Not so much a satellite campus as they'll just remove the flimsy chain-link fence separating the two (UW and Blackberry are literally adjacent) and there'll no longer be anywhere to sneakily get free parking near the university after 6PM.

And yeah when I was at UW I think they employed something like 3-400 co-op students per term or something ridiculous. Never worked there myself but a lot of my friends who did said it was basically a bunch of middle managers with their own pet project fiefdoms squabbling for resources and never creating anything useful as a result.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

double ohm seven posted:

In their heyday, RIM made a shitload of money and paid REALLLLLY well. L3 support guys were making 6 figures, poo poo like that. So some people working there can't leave because they will be paid a fraction of that if they go anywhere else.
Some just drank the kool aid and believe in the company or are so horrible they can't find a job anywhere else.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

double ohm seven posted:

most of the really competent folks i worked with from bb were either remote with a massive salary, had some kind of family issue that kept them from moving (sick kid, etc), or had carved out their own little fiefdom in the company.

this one networking guy was basically allowed to blow off anyone more than two rungs away from the ceo. i had to chew out their integration team until they managed to put me in a meeting with a somewhat technical svp and i got to explain no, your libraries are responsible for connecting to your idiot vpn and opening ports, and no, the fact that you're doing these things in the wrong order is not our fault.

networking guy emails back a week later essentially saying "uh, i still think it's their fault, but here's a new library with a ~workaround~" that addressed everything i said. i wrote up a massive breakdown of how it was definitely bb's fault and sent it to my c-levels because gently caress that guy.

also gently caress blackberry.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tayter Swift posted:

yeah fair point

I'm getting flashbacks to the initial introduction of the iPhone when silly balls/lizard lips declared the iPhone to be magic and/or physically impossible

yeah, now theyre clinging to the bloatware husk of Good as evinced by the son-knows-photoshop logo combo on all their apps

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

somehow all they had to do was clone mail.app, safari.app, and not make ical.app and they failed in all three making them the perfect acquisition for bb

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
still seeing a few here and there in pearson departure lounge

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
every once in a while i see some nerdlinger with a passport on the ttc

it's amazing how ridiculous the kraft singles phone is

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i often have my passport when i'm on the ttc i need it to get into the country

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
my phone is my passport, vilify me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bobby Digital posted:

fffffuck

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

:eyepop:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

why

WHY

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
my wife still has a bb for work.

sprint eol'ed it, she just uses it as an easy way to check outlook from her purse with wifi, without opening her laptop.

her work has moved to android samsungs but quote" gently caress that" so it remains iphone for personal use and a wifi only bb for outlook. :smdh:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

C.H.O.M.E posted:

my wife still has a bb for work.

sprint eol'ed it, she just uses it as an easy way to check outlook from her purse with wifi, without opening her laptop.

her work has moved to android samsungs but quote" gently caress that" so it remains iphone for personal use and a wifi only bb for outlook. :smdh:

your wife is willing to suffer through using a blackberry to avoid the terribleness of android

a good wife

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if they're just cash and property w/ worthless ip who let their business run to poo poo., they should just do something respectable, like slumlord

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

their revenue for the last two years at least has been mostly property sales.

they can't be a landlord, they've sold everything

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

DTEK50 - "World Most Secure Phone"

http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/26/blackberry-unveils-dtek50-for-299-claims-its-the-worlds-most-secure-android-smartphone/

quote:

DTEK50 runs Android Marshmallow plus BlackBerry’s additional security, privacy, and productivity tools like on the Priv. On the hardware side, this is a 5.2-inch full HD (1920x1080px) touchscreen phone (the thinnest BlackBerry the company has ever produced, at 7.4mm), no hardware keyboard included. The 135g phone is powered by an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 processor and has 3GB RAM, 16GB of storage (expandable up to 2TB via microSD), a 13MP rear-facing camera, and an 8MP front-facing flash camera.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's over

they rebranded an Alcatel

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

it's over

they rebranded an Alcatel

Hey guys, since we have that logo that looks like an rear end in a top hat, can we also have an icon that makes the model # look like "DICK" ?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

every once in a while i see some nerdlinger with a passport on the ttc

it's amazing how ridiculous the kraft singles phone is

i literally cuckholded a man who's prize possession was his passport

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
so blackberry released a clone of like, samsung;s flagship phone from 2013, except they are going to do it in late 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
they looked at the galaxy s5 and determined it to be impossible

• Locked thread