Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
On a technical note, I'm continually amazed by the diversity of voices from PFT, Alison Brie, and Patton Oswalt. Those three voice so many tertiary characters and they all have unique expressions. I think PFT voiced like half of randos this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

i am the bird posted:

On a technical note, I'm continually amazed by the diversity of voices from PFT, Alison Brie, and Patton Oswalt. Those three voice so many tertiary characters and they all have unique expressions. I think PFT voiced like half of randos this season.

On the other hand, Kristen Schaal always sounds like Kristen Schaal, but that's hilarious because Sarah Lynn sounds exactly like Mable Pines.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I relate a lot to the female characters on the show, which is both great and also terrible.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Pick posted:

I relate a lot to the female characters on the show, which is both great and also terrible.

I relate to BoJack because I'm a narcissistic rear end in a top hat who hates himself because he's such a narcissistic rear end in a top hat.

Also, I'm a 1200 pound alcoholic.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I relate to BoJack because I'm a narcissistic rear end in a top hat who hates himself because he's such a narcissistic rear end in a top hat.

Also, I'm a 1200 pound alcoholic.

Are you hung like a horse who is trying to hang himself?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Missing Donut posted:

I think my favorite visual gag is the selfie stick at the old folks' home in episode 3.

I dunno why, but I couldn't stop laughing at the Krill & Grace poster.

What impressed me about Episode 4 was how funny it was. I think gimmick episodes can really go either way; but even with the handicap of no intelligible speech, it was as funny as any episode.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

One of my favorite little background posters was the Junior poster staring Arnie, completely unaltered.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Beekeeping and You posted:

I actually feel like "I have so much money and a great house and anything I need, why am I not happy" Is a big part of Bojack, too. At least, that was a big part that I related to. :shobon: though I'm not so rich and famous. And the desperate attempts to do something that actually matters to people, like ethan around.

While that's true, I don't think he compares himself a lot (or as in my case excessively) to other people, to appreciate how great his life should be. He's incredibly obsessed with himself. And there were only a few times this season were he actually thought about how his behavior affects other people, rather than himself.
He certainly doesn't seem like the type of person who would freeze, because he fears that he can't find anything to say which doesn't offend someone else.

There are a lot of different versions of mental imbalance. So it's not surprising that his is quite different from mine. But I know people who are quite similar to that version.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Max posted:

One of my favorite little background posters was the Junior poster staring Arnie, completely unaltered.

Think thats been there since season 1 and i agree it will never not be hilarious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, I gotta go meet people now, and of course i have to stop at the end of episode 11. Please Sara Lynn don't be dead :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Max posted:

This has been around and it's never not funny.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Pretty good season. I loved the line where he said something like "a movie to describe most of my relationships would be Doubt".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Holy poo poo, episode 6.

"John Carpenter can do the practical effects, he owes me a favour!"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I enjoyed this season from a dramatic perspective but I didn't find it as funny as the previous two. There were certainly funny parts, but I felt like the emphasis was on the tragic story than the laughs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I enjoyed this season from a dramatic perspective but I didn't find it as funny as the previous two. There were certainly funny parts, but I felt like the emphasis was on the tragic story than the laughs.
There's definitely no episodes as funny as the episode of Hollywoo Stars in the second season.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's "Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What Do They Know?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do They Know Things?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Let's Find Out!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

In It For The Tank posted:

I found this season more validating, in a way, because it said a lot of things I already feel I know--and in my favorite show, no less! The closer is so wise.

But that said, I sort of disagree with its central conceit that someone like Bojack just can't be fixed. I don't really believe in broken people, any more than I agree with a definition of "art" that includes literally every thing. I have met a lot of people in my life, and I've found that most of the things that convince people they're broken are universal. People have so much more in common than they think. (Hence why a show like this can relate to so many watchers.)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Harry posted:

Pretty good season. I loved the line where he said something like "a movie to describe most of my relationships would be Doubt".

I forgot about that line, until now, but I loved it - something like "It's complicated. If I were to describe most of my relationships with a Meryl Streep movie, it would be...Doubt."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It is really weird how the show completely shot down the hopeful ending of last season. Like I know without Bojack being a depressing failure there'd be no drama, but drat. It's like in a horror movie the heroine rides off into the sunset and then gets murdered in the first minute of the sequel.

What's really sad to me is that the poo poo with Kelsey wasn't even his fault, and from my perspective, his lashing out in not staying with PC's agency was somewhat reasonable after what he must have been feeling from Kelsey's tearing into him.

Episode 11 actually made me want more than anything that Bojack and Sarah Lynn might actually end up living together anonymously as possible and find happiness in normalcy. I find myself relating to Sarah Lynn really, really hard. At least she died happy. :smith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I found this season more validating, in a way, because it said a lot of things I already feel I know--and in my favorite show, no less! The closer is so wise.

But that said, I sort of disagree with its central conceit that someone like Bojack just can't be fixed. I don't really believe in broken people, any more than I agree with a definition of "art" that includes literally every thing. I have met a lot of people in my life, and I've found that most of the things that convince people they're broken are universal. People have so much more in common than they think. (Hence why a show like this can relate to so many watchers.)

I don't think Bojack being unfixable is a central conceit of the show. Bojack is just as capable of change as any other person on the planet, but change is hard especially when you're trying to change into something you've never been before which in Bojack's case is "happy". He's been miserable for so long that he thinks that's all he's capable of being but that isn't true.

There are only two people who truly think Bojack is unfixable: himself and his mother who's also been miserable for so long that she thinks it's all she's capable of being. It's like that old joke: How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but the light bulb has to want to change. That's why Bojack's real problem is: He hasn't yet wanted to change. Sure he likes the idea of change, but like I said it's hard and so far he's not been willing to put in the effort to follow through on his attempts at becoming a better person.

But just because he hasn't done it yet doesn't mean he can't do it. There's only one thing that prevents people from changing forever: death. So Sarah Lynn is the one who's life is really unfixable now. God, I think I was the only one who didn't see her death coming, and then when it happened I was too shocked to cry. Then, when I tried to rewatch the episode later, I started crying right at the beginning. This is a good show.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like I'm missing something as to why a thumbs up is offensive in the underwater episode.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's "Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities."

FactsAreUseless posted:

What Do They Know?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do They Know Things?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Let's Find Out!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

I feel like I'm missing something as to why a thumbs up is offensive in the underwater episode.

It's just a joke about how some gestures are offensive in different cultures, I think the "A-OK" sign is supposed to be bad in South America or something, that sort of thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pick posted:

But that said, I sort of disagree with its central conceit that someone like Bojack just can't be fixed.
I don't think the show believes this either. Bojack believes it, and some of the other characters might, but I don't think this is an assumption the show itself is making. One of the big themes is that people can change, but it's slow, and gradual, and you have to do it every day.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pick posted:

It's just a joke about how some gestures are offensive in different cultures, I think the "A-OK" sign is supposed to be bad in South America or something, that sort of thing.

Or a peace sign in the UK/Australia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Entropic posted:

When fish die, they float to the top of the tank.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

FactsAreUseless posted:

When fish die, they float to the top of the tank.

Your avatar is incredibly offensive.

Full season thoughts: Really happy about how they handled Todd being asexual, and him coming to realise it. A bit unhappy about how they took away his money instantly, felt too much like a sitcom reset joke.

Still in shock at the last few episodes. I didn't see Sarah Lynn's death coming either, especially after the slight fake-out.

I know I'm going to rewatch the flashback and underwater episodes a few more times to catch all the jokes and just marvel at how well they did a silent movie episode.

I can't wait for season 4.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Season 4 is sooner than a year or what ?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I can't believe it's time for more Bojack.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love all the absurd jokes about the animal people having animal characteristics. Like Mr Peanutbutter wanting to shake when he's wet, or Princess Caroline being delighted to get a ball of tissue paper as a gift.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

thedaian posted:

A bit unhappy about how they took away his money instantly, felt too much like a sitcom reset.

It paired well with the previous joke where Todd said the him being a millionaire was a good setup for many interesting situations (like sitcom episodes).

Also, were we supposed to get a strong Lost In Translation vibe from Pacific Ocean City, or am I imagining things?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

withak posted:

It paired well with the previous joke where Todd said the him being a millionaire was a good setup for many interesting situations (like sitcom episodes).

Also, were we supposed to get a strong Lost In Translation vibe from Pacific Ocean City, or am I imagining things?

It was basically Japan, yes. Solidified with the seahorse milk commercial.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Fat_Cow posted:

Season 4 is sooner than a year or what ?

Probably next July.

I think that weird Facebook post was about confirming their renewal and not hinting at a quicker drop of the next season or the release of a one-off.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

For people looking for the season finale song it's
Nina Simone Live at Montreux]

thank you.

So, overall season opinion is I, myself, am okay. I used to watch this show for answers. I knew Bojack knew he was doing terrible things because he's lost from the start, so what's one more step down. And I knew the characters around him would have a net positive effect on him without excusing it. These past 12 episodes were the first that I've watched and felt like I was now rooting for Bojack, not rooting for myself and wanting the show to lead me to the way.

I don't know how I personally did it, but this past year I found it incredibly difficult to find myself without someone to listen to me - and those last few episodes coming to the conclusion that Bojack sets himself on a cycle of self-destruction by constantly harming those around him and ending up without anyone to show up to save him from himself really sets up the most important thing Bojack needs to earnestly do next season. He needs to stop waiting for a fountain of happiness to explode from inside him, and actually support the people around him in the best way he can. The juxtaposition of Bojack forcing a meaning when faced with the vast expanse of the universe at the planetarium, and of having to face the very real meaning of having Sarah-Lynn's death immediately show him the conclusion of that thought was just brutal.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I watched all of Bojack Horseman over the last week or so.

I think I need to lie down.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I feel like Bojack can't get better until he actually works at getting better. He thinks he wants to be better, but he doesn't take any of the steps required to distract from his depression, and is too busy filling the void with meaningless garbage because he's afraid of opening up to others. :smith: That's part of the difference between him and Mr. Peanutbutter. Mr. Peanutbutter also has problems with how irrelevant he is in the universe, but he works hard to make connections with others. His earnestness also would allow him to be able to take things like the AA meeting seriously, while Bojack just thought the stories were boring and pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Lt. Danger posted:

I watched all of Bojack Horseman over the last week or so.

I think I need to lie down.