Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Oh look, it's this bit

37 - That Archer Bit

(not my image but incredibly appropriate)

This is a bit of a short video but I actually just finished recording allll the rest of anor londo (that we'll be doing for now) so there should hopefully some more updates soonish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Friends don't let friends try to block the archers.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Vicas, you are aware you can lure out the Sentinels at the top of the stairs one by one (like with most encounters where there are two of them), aren't you? That makes it a lot easier than what we saw here. Also, you're absolutely correct that those two are not any stronger than the Sentinels we've already seen.

Necroskowitz posted:

Yeah Vicas, the first thing I noticed about that statue were those two b... lack knights.
There seems not enough activity these days, but the rafters used to be full with "Great chest ahead" messages.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

And now that we're here, required viewing.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

frankenfreak posted:

Vicas, you are aware you can lure out the Sentinels at the top of the stairs one by one (like with most encounters where there are two of them), aren't you? That makes it a lot easier than what we saw here. Also, you're absolutely correct that those two are not any stronger than the Sentinels we've already seen.

There seems not enough activity these days, but the rafters used to be full with "Great chest ahead" messages.

The servers are officially dead as of when this session was recorded, so no more try holding with both hands

As for luring them alone I tend to just find it takes too long. Really I just tend to skip the encounter altogether

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

frankenfreak posted:

Yeah, you can lure one by just hugging the fence on his side until he follows then pull him down the stairs. Also you can roll straight through their legs during most of their windup animations so if you two-hand you can usually get them down in 2-3 flurries at this stage.

Also, the archers are definitely the hardest part, but honestly the tomb of the giants made me quit the game for longer. The archers are hard but feel fair, like if you can get the timing right it'll be doable so you can stubbornly fight through. The tomb is just dark, with hard hitting enemies, and dark areas in games are bullshit.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I remember getting into range for them to pull out their swords and shields, then I just walked away and watched those idiots drop off at the first turn. Well at least after my first run through of that area/the whole game.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'd never really made the connection with the little-gates-in-big-gates thing, because that is just something architecture from that sort of period does. Opening the huge doors every time some servant needs to get something from the garden is a bit of a pain.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
What confuses me is that there's the dual-sized things for stairs and the gates, but then the hallway and rooms you enter at the end of the clip are all human-scale. Is this a part of the building/castle/whatever it is that's just for humans?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Apparently those giant bows were meant to slay dragons. Which makes sense, with the dragoncide backstory, but it's pure overkill for a poor little Chosen Undead like us.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Golbez posted:

What confuses me is that there's the dual-sized things for stairs and the gates, but then the hallway and rooms you enter at the end of the clip are all human-scale. Is this a part of the building/castle/whatever it is that's just for humans?

The building we ended up in is for humans (or human sized whatevers), and something I never noticed before recording this, but it's actually a totally separate building from the grand cathedral we eventually get to. I think I point out the part where we actually go outside when I get there

Speedball posted:

Apparently those giant bows were meant to slay dragons. Which makes sense, with the dragoncide backstory, but it's pure overkill for a poor little Chosen Undead like us.

Yeah, and I love the idea that the silver knights don't really know the difference, since it's kinda unclear if they're really "sentient" at this point

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It may be brutal that the only way into the fortified castle is by sneaking around on the ramparts with no railings, but it does give you a sense of sneaking into an area that was not meant to be snuck into; it's totally secure and blocked off and the only hole in the wall is being fortified by two guys with giant crossbows and some demons. They are NOT messing around.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Vicas posted:

The servers are officially dead as of when this session was recorded, so no more try holding with both hands

Have you tried the Dark Souls Connectivity Mod? It helps a lot for getting messages to appear, and for summons/invasions to at least be a non-zero possibility.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Speedball posted:

It may be brutal that the only way into the fortified castle is by sneaking around on the ramparts with no railings, but it does give you a sense of sneaking into an area that was not meant to be snuck into; it's totally secure and blocked off and the only hole in the wall is being fortified by two guys with giant crossbows and some demons. They are NOT messing around.

Really the only thing that bugs me about it is that the place you go in is a balcony so it's kind of odd that there's a bonfire that just happens to be in the room next to it. So far in the game bonfires tend to be placed as though they're somewhat central to the areas they're in. This one's just off in a janitor's closet or something. Just a tad gamey.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Really the only thing that bugs me about it is that the place you go in is a balcony so it's kind of odd that there's a bonfire that just happens to be in the room next to it. So far in the game bonfires tend to be placed as though they're somewhat central to the areas they're in. This one's just off in a janitor's closet or something. Just a tad gamey.

On the other hand, considering how ransacked the place looks, I can imagine some hobos setting up a bonfire in a room in there.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

The best kind of kill is overkill.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Golbez posted:

On the other hand, considering how ransacked the place looks, I can imagine some hobos setting up a bonfire in a room in there.

I figure off duty knights use it to make s'mores, and that's why they're so trigger happy--Solaire barged in and just demolished the chocolate while everyone was on patrol.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
What bugs me is that there's a fireplace right there, and yet they decided to make a bonfire in the middle of the floor.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
A smokeless fire that only burns on humanity doesn't need a chimney

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
It really does help the dilapidated and abandoned feel of the interior seeing a fire built just wherever was convenient. Not bothering to use the fireplace, or to use any of the furniture in the area to rest on or anything.

I wouldn't be all that surprised though if the fire was there just because there was clipping or interaction issues trying to put it into the fireplace though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Do we ever actually learn how Bonfires are made, I mean we know there are Firekeepers and such but the bonfires themselves just seem to exist. They may be a natural phenomena in this world, sometimes you wake up and there's a Bonfire in your living room. Shortly after some undead warriors start traipsing through and sitting down as a pit-stop on their quest.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Do we ever actually learn how Bonfires are made, I mean we know there are Firekeepers and such but the bonfires themselves just seem to exist. They may be a natural phenomena in this world, sometimes you wake up and there's a Bonfire in your living room. Shortly after some undead warriors start traipsing through and sitting down as a pit-stop on their quest.

Yeah the description on homeward bones says they're made out of the bones of undead.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vicas posted:

As for luring them alone I tend to just find it takes too long. Really I just tend to skip the encounter altogether

wait what? isn't there any dark souls mp stuff anymore?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

sebmojo posted:

wait what? isn't there any dark souls mp stuff anymore?

That's what I've been hearing, and I haven't seen a message in two recording sessions, much less a summon sign

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah the description on homeward bones says they're made out of the bones of undead.

The implication being that they are generally created and actively tended lest they go out, though we haven't quite gotten to the mechanics of that yet (even if we've actively seen them through gameplay. I love this game)

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Vicas posted:

That's what I've been hearing, and I haven't seen a message in two recording sessions, much less a summon sign

I gather the switch from GfWL to Steam matchmaking has had a lot of kinks. I *have* seen messages just using default Steam matchmaking within the past few weeks, but only after I'd been online for quite some time. The Dark Souls Connectivity Mod is much more thorough and aggressive about searching for connections than Steam apparently is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I see bloodstains way more often than I see messages.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Another thing is that Steam initially encouraged people to opt into the beta version of Dark Souls to get the update that used the Steam servers instead of GfWL. For some reason that beta version is still available even though the main branch is now more up to date, and it has its own separate server that's splitting the playerbase somewhat. Probably not a by a whole lot, but enough to hurt the already dwindling multiplayer.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

drat, I just bought the game on Steam - probably won't begin it for a while, though, gotta finish sotfs first. Will using the connectivity mod get you banned, though?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Crazy Achmed posted:

drat, I just bought the game on Steam - probably won't begin it for a while, though, gotta finish sotfs first. Will using the connectivity mod get you banned, though?

No, it's safe. It's pretty much required at this point, too.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
From doesn't really mind people modding dark souls 1 because the port itself is such a trainwreck that on day 1 someone released a patch that massively improved it (DSFix)

I'm not using it but definitely recommend it

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I used it for a week without any issue in my most recent playthrough, and I know I would have not been able to sunbro without it, so definitely recommended.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The mansion! It's a mansion! It's also one of the most well designed 3D levels I've ever seen in a video game! I like it! Video!

38 - Mansion Hunting

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

From really do love their dense city architecture. That overlook reminds me a lot of some areas in Bloodborne, though obviously a hell of a lot more pristine.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Ahh, there should have been like 3-4 chest related messages around that picture but alas the servers have been fucky for the last 2-3 months.

Also I'm linking this because it's great and sort of appropriate but :frogsiren: Sort of DS3 spoilers not even really :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkgxAFiAd90

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Grizlor posted:

Ahh, there should have been like 3-4 chest related messages around that picture but alas the servers have been fucky for the last 2-3 months.

Also I'm linking this because it's great and sort of appropriate but :frogsiren: Sort of DS3 spoilers not even really :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkgxAFiAd90

Video games are art

Also I have a new episode

39 - Cometh Soon

He doesn't pop up until the end of the episode, but I love him so. :3:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ah shiny shiny

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Disappointed you didn't invade the smiths' personal space a smidge to get the chest behind him.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Peanut3141 posted:

Disappointed you didn't invade the smiths' personal space a smidge to get the chest behind him.

yeah i saw it and meant to grab it but just.... totally forgot.... for the whole session......

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Vicas posted:

yeah i saw it and meant to grab it but just.... totally forgot.... for the whole session......

Just claim you were saving it until the DLC to be topical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
It never occurred to me just how well-done Anor Londo('s mansion area) is. I think the trauma from all the archer arrows kind of bittered anything after it, but there's a lot of cool things happening in this part. One thing I personally love is how the area doesn't look "gamey", if that makes sense. Anor Londo kind of does this everywhere. The area in the game that's arguably in the most pristine condition doesn't have awkward level geometry (even the double helix which is not too removed from the real thing). That the doors look like they're actual, serviceable doors rather than giant open archways that are easy to get through for the sake of map flow always caught my eye. That Dark Souls is methodical and about inspecting the environment helps it get away with cramped spaces, and I'm glad they managed to put in cramped architecture isn't really able to be put into most games with action elements.

• Locked thread