Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
From the TV IV thread

So it's going back to Non-AATrek but it has literally the worst space sh....like who even....who even passes off on that poo poo....

Like do they not do focus groups on concept art? Who the gently caress......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

naem posted:

It's like an original Xbox game level render

yeah that CGI looks like straight up garbage

poo poo even TNG in 89 or so looked better than that garbage. Just do practical effects friends

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

edit: missed the edit

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I usually think people are way too whiney about special effects and stuff but whoa that trailer is really almost novelty bad. Seriously, Enterprise had better fx.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so lemme guess

they're basically doing the 70s star trek show that never happened

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Or even go another 100 or so past TNG- jeez 25th century 26th century- the future is pretty big.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lets bridge the gap between TOS and TNG

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

yeah that CGI looks like straight up garbage

poo poo even TNG in 89 or so looked better than that garbage. Just do practical effects friends

1987. TNG came out in 1987, when Ronald Reagan was President and the Soviet Union was still A Thing and the Berlin Wall was still up.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lets bridge the gap between my dick and kira

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

1987. TNG came out in 1987, when Ronald Reagan was President and the Soviet Union was still A Thing and the Berlin Wall was still up.

lol I was giving TNG the benefit after a few years of production, because really the first season is poo poo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Grim dark poo poo is super popular now. Show a federation that's gotten a little morally questionable after a hundred years of fighting the borg.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Netflix isn't going to carry this lump of poo poo across the line for CBS. Its going straight to Vimeo for season 2.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
87, when I was 9. I'm pretty sure TNG gave me my first boner.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
gently caress though like I would love to watch a new star trek, but this CBS.com poo poo really kills it for me.

these dudes are just painting themselves into a corner with all their special subscription only horse poo poo. How much is the cbs poo poo, 5 or 10 a month?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

gently caress though like I would love to watch a new star trek, but this CBS.com poo poo really kills it for me.

these dudes are just painting themselves into a corner with all their special subscription only horse poo poo. How much is the cbs poo poo, 5 or 10 a month?

6. It's loving ridiculous unless you motherfucking love NCIS.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

I usually think people are way too whiney about special effects and stuff but whoa that trailer is really almost novelty bad. Seriously, Enterprise had better fx.

For all it's faults I don't think there was really a single bad VFX shot in Enterprise. Maybe the CG Gorn?

I was all excited for the new show because they got the Wrath of Khan guy working on it but that teaser was utter trash. That's poo poo you include as part of a behind the scenes extra on the blu ray if anywhere at all, not what you use to try to sell people on your new project

e: screencaps of it look like a still from Star Trek Online, a lovely free to play mmo

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Normally a new Trek series would make me very excited but sadly I probably will lose interest quickly due to the hassle involved in watching it. I'll have every intention of a binge watch after season 1 comes out, but I'll get busy and lose interest and maybe accidentally read a few spoilers online but not really care and finally watch it in about 11 years like I did with DS9 because it was on network my cable company didn't carry.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

criscodisco posted:

87, when I was 9. I'm pretty sure TNG gave me my first boner.

Who can blame you

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I don't know whether to be excited that that retarded looking ship means it's probably not AATrek universe, or disappointed that it's probably the worst space ship I think I've ever seen in relation to star trek.

Not even mentioning the music video CGI.

Wow, I sure hope it's not in the Aatrek universe. I do not need full-on kiddy diddling in Star Trek.

Those effects have GOT to be placeholders - which makes me wonder if people making this show have seriously poor judgment for showing it in public.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

They should probably sell the subscription by the year considering that traditional networks have new content like three months out of the year.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Mondian posted:

Who can blame you

I know you're joking but goddamn TNG was good to me and Rikers hairy nips helped me drift off to sleep many nights. Remember this was before the internet. We used our imagination in those days.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Usually the fantasy was that me and Riker and Data beamed down to a planet but the transporter forgot to beam our clothes like the Ferengi one and Riker would be like "hey it's just us guys who cares?"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Wow, I sure hope it's not in the Aatrek universe. I do not need full-on kiddy diddling in Star Trek.

Those effects have GOT to be placeholders - which makes me wonder if people making this show have seriously poor judgment for showing it in public.

The other day they tweeted a picture of the un-upholstered captain's chair from the show, my guess is they scrambled to put something together so they'd have anything to show at SDCC.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

criscodisco posted:

Normally a new Trek series would make me very excited but sadly I probably will lose interest quickly due to the hassle involved in watching it. I'll have every intention of a binge watch after season 1 comes out, but I'll get busy and lose interest and maybe accidentally read a few spoilers online but not really care and finally watch it in about 11 years like I did with DS9 because it was on network my cable company didn't carry.

these are my feelings. I never got into star trek in my youth. Enterprise is the only one that came out in my adult life but I think it was cable only which I didn't have. I seriously watched most of the poo poo via syndication on a UHF tv set in the 90s until the advent of netflix, and not very regularly. I only watched DS9 in the past two years, thanks to netflix. I only recently got some sort of "cable" recently after years without any sort of broadcast tv in my house, and thats the Sony Playstation Vue or whatever, if that ties into that and I don't have to pay for it, like I understand certain channels are like, then maybe, otherwise I can't be bothered. I especially can't give a gently caress about a weekly broadcast poo poo because gently caress if I'm going to set my tv watching to a calendar and not just binge watch when I'm feeling particularly shut inish.

CBS basically acting like its 95 again with this poo poo.

No one will watch it and it will be "GUESS NO ONE WANTS STAR TREK WE TRIED"

like mother fuckers way to miss the point

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

criscodisco posted:

the hassle involved in watching it.

Its going to set new standards of piracy like The Matrix did for 700mb .avi rips. Nobody in north america is going to pay CBS to watch this thing.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its going to set new standards of piracy like The Matrix did for 700mb .avi rips. Nobody in north america is going to pay CBS to watch this thing.

I don't plan on paying if I do wind up watching it, but it's still a hassle. I'm really excited to watch the second season of Kimmy Schmidt, but still haven't bothered yet.

I just need a new TV because if I want to watch something I've downloaded I have to convert the file and burn it to DVD. I just keep putting it off because this TV works fine and is huge.

Someone should start a company where you get a box of 3rd world children who will watch your downloads and memorize them and act them out for you in your living room in HD.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Great, a pizza cutter and a big pan to put the pizza on.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Tighclops posted:

For all it's faults I don't think there was really a single bad VFX shot in Enterprise. Maybe the CG Gorn?

The bit where the Enterprise battles the future tech Luftwaffe was straight out of a 90's FMV game. I can't post youtube links so this pic will have to do.

Without checking was this in the show or did I steal it from a Red Alert clone and slap a UPN logo on it?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Apollodorus posted:

Right, I don't know why I keep calling JJ trek AA trek.

There is the "Prime Timeline" (TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY/STD(lol))
There is the "JJTrek Timeline" (ST2009/Into Darkness/Beyond)
There is the "AATrek Timeline" (The one we inhabit, unfortunately)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

The bit where the Enterprise battles the future tech Luftwaffe was straight out of a 90's FMV game. I can't post youtube links so this pic will have to do.

Without checking was this in the show or did I steal it from a Red Alert clone and slap a UPN logo on it?

Come on, this wasn't bad for TV circa 2005. It looked a lot better in motion anyway.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Right, I don't know why I keep calling JJ trek AA trek.

There is the "Prime Timeline" (TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY/STD(lol))
There is the "JJTrek Timeline" (ST2009/Into Darkness/Beyond)
There is the "AATrek Timeline" (The one we inhabit, unfortunately)

are we the mirror universe? eh, all hail the terran empire.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Germstore posted:

are we the mirror universe? eh, all hail the terran empire.

I often think we are the "bad" universe. Like SLIDERS or something come out of a wormhole and go "George Bush Won in 2000?!! 9/11??! A Decade of war? War on Terror? ISIS?!?! AATREK?! MODS KNEW"

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Tighclops posted:

Come on, this wasn't bad for TV circa 2005. It looked a lot better in motion anyway.

Yes it was, and no it didn't, it looked worse. Babylon 5 never got that bad :colbert:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I often think we are the "bad" universe. Like SLIDERS or something come out of a wormhole and go "George Bush Won in 2000?!! 9/11??! A Decade of war? War on Terror? ISIS?!?! AATREK?! MODS KNEW"

Yeah I think like that too sometimes but then I get in my underwear and smoke out and just chill out you should try it unless you look really gross in your underwear.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Fat Shat Sings posted:

SLIDERS lol

I remember watching the first few episodes of that way back in the day

did it get BETTER or just turn to poo poo? All I remember is they teleported to some Soviets won the world or Nazis maybe I'm not quite sure.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

SLIDERS lol

did it get BETTER or just turn to poo poo? All I remember is they teleported to some Soviets won the world or Nazis maybe I'm not quite sure.

It managed to pull off both actually. Got a lot better, than spiralled out of control with a plotline about these dimension hoping mutant things.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Sliders got better but then it got really, really stupid with like lizard alien time travelers or some poo poo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

criscodisco posted:

I don't plan on paying if I do wind up watching it, but it's still a hassle. I'm really excited to watch the second season of Kimmy Schmidt, but still haven't bothered yet.

I just need a new TV because if I want to watch something I've downloaded I have to convert the file and burn it to DVD. I just keep putting it off because this TV works fine and is huge.

Someone should start a company where you get a box of 3rd world children who will watch your downloads and memorize them and act them out for you in your living room in HD.
Ick, nobody should be burning DVDs in 2016.

Get something like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-1080P-Mini-Media-Player-MKV-H-264-RMVB-Full-HD-with-HOST-Card-Reader-Free/32274872140.html

Or a model with component video output if your tv is that old.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

SLIDERS lol

Sliders debuted in 1995, it took me until this year to finally watch it all because after season two it turned into a pile of hot garbage. It's awful, terrible, worse than voyager.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Baka-nin posted:

Yes it was, and no it didn't, it looked worse. Babylon 5 never got that bad :colbert:

Are you kidding?

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Tears In A Vial posted:

Sliders debuted in 1995, it took me until this year to finally watch it all because after season two it turned into a pile of hot garbage. It's awful, terrible, worse than voyager.

thats the kind of feedback I need.

worse than voyager is a drat fine metric for bad