Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

That reflector top deck to make the game a draw is horseshit. Just concede to the deck that is beating you, is harder to pilot, and is playing new cards.

Yeah how dare the guy at 5-0 try to get maximum points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Cost reduction effects (like Bedlam Reveler) don't change the CMC value while on the stack, right?

They do not.

Edit; How dare some one's frustration be hyperbole on the internet.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Star Man posted:

And he'd have had it too if he had waited to cast Avacyn after combat to dodge a potential Reflector Mage.

No he wouldn't. Dude was at 6 with 3 blockers against 3 attackers, one of which was in the air for 4.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
He had multiple Shamblings Vents to fire

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

"Dominant" and "good" are not the same

I remember GP top 8s being littered with it. Turtenwald called it "the best deck by so much that not playing it was a mistake".

I don't think it was that much less dominant than Company is now now (but part of that was Rally itself, with or without Reflector).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I remember GP top 8s being littered with it. Turtenwald called it "the best deck by so much that not playing it was a mistake".

I don't think it was that much less dominant than Company is now now (but part of that was Rally itself, with or without Reflector).

It was the best deck but that fact didn't really enter the collective consciousness of the community until maybe a month before ogw was coming out, so we hadn't had the time or sheer popular penetration for everyone to be sick of it yet iirc

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cactrot posted:

It wasn't until reflector mage that I started disliking it.

Agreed. Company was overshadowed by Abzan Aggro for most of Khans standard, and even after 4c Rally developed into a Tier 1 contender is still had serious problems dealing with powerful incidental hate cards like Anafenza. Then Reflector Mage got printed, giving it a real answer to the only good graveyard hate in standard as well as a powerful tempo swing to buy it time for its combo, and 4c Rally was probably the best deck in standard until rotation. When Siege Rhino left, so did the biggest incentive to play non-Company creature decks, and now every time they print a playable three drop they make Company even better. I definitely don't like where it is in the format right now but at least Queller Company will only exist for another few months.

I'm glad the card got printed because it enables some cool decks and isn't oppressive in Modern, but Reflector Mage definitely pushes the deck over the top in Standard.

Elyv posted:

It was the best deck but that fact didn't really enter the collective consciousness of the community until maybe a month before ogw was coming out, so we hadn't had the time or sheer popular penetration for everyone to be sick of it yet iirc

Before OGW came out the deck had a really hard time dealing with Anafenza, which was already staple in the other most popular deck at the time. Reflector Mage providing a guaranteed turn of graveyard access without having to exile itself like Sidisi's Faithful in addition to being a brutal tempo blow to aggro decks was what really put it over the top.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 23, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

It was definitely getting there (but Rally got most of the ire)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Cedric and Patrick absolutely despise Reflector Mage decks, so watching them is as incredible as it is cathartic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I am curious how many Reflectors we'll see without Company in the format.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Happened with Jace before it, happened with Devotion too, it'll happen to the next cool thing that dominates and becomes overexposed.

Pretty much. We are quite a whiny bunch.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I am curious how many Reflectors we'll see without Company in the format.

I would imagine plenty still. U/W tempo will still be good.

I think after this week we are going to be seeing a lot more Elder Deep Fiends to get around Reflector Mage and Spell Queller.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DangerDongs posted:

I would imagine plenty still. U/W tempo will still be good.

I think after this week we are going to be seeing a lot more Elder Deep Fiends to get around Reflector Mage and Spell Queller.

T3 Reflector Mage into T4 Elder Deep Fiend on your upkeep is going to be a hell of a line once we're not building around Company anymore.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Man, I really hope something happens at the PT. This format is a joke.

DangerDongs posted:

He had multiple Shamblings Vents to fire

Ok so he has 3 blockers against 4 attackers, 1 of which is in the air attacking for 4. He dies on his next upkeep which never comes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want to take those Metagame Gurus shirts and throw them in the toilet and piss on them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

I want to take those Metagame Gurus shirts and throw them in the toilet and piss on them.

Throw the players wearing them in with them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

That reflector top deck to make the game a draw is horseshit. Just concede to the deck that is beating you, is harder to pilot, and is playing new cards.

When money's on the line honor takes a backseat, it's a sad truth

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Pretty much. We are quite a whiny bunch.

It's that, and there really isn't a card pool large enough in standard to sustain more than one or two top decks most of the time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

Throw the players wearing them in with them.

Kevin Jones is okay. But I'd give Jim Davis a swirly after I piss in the toilet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's that, and there really isn't a card pool large enough in standard to sustain more than one or two top decks most of the time.

True. I wonder if Wizards realized this when they went to two-set blocks? Technically it's the same number of Expert-level sets but you're missing out on one or two core sets. They upped the size of the Expert-level sets to make up for that, right?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
holy gently caress this bant company mirror

it's beautiful

Jen X fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 23, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Planar Outburst is a card, people.

Edit: THAT'S LEGIT

Star Man fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 23, 2016

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Didn't I see one of them had that in their SB?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Still got nothing on that Gw devotion mirror from that Fate Reforged era GP.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Star Man posted:

I imagine that most Magic players think that you can have brother-in-laws, judging by their use of English.

Haha what

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pluralizing the adjective instead of the noun. Brothers-in-law, not brother-in-laws.

Bridges from Below instead of Bridge from Belows. I just like making fun of tje way nerds talk.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
If an opponent has a Kalitas out if anything dies or sacrificed the ability doesn't trigger right?

If I sac a Hangar back I wouldn't get the thopters right

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Star Man posted:

Pluralizing the adjective instead of the noun. Brothers-in-law, not brother-in-laws.

Bridges from Below instead of Bridge from Belows. I just like making fun of tje way nerds talk.

"Bridge from Belows" can be technically accurate, though. If you're referring to the card "Bridge from Below," pluralizing it would put the 's at the end of the title of the card. If you were referring to the actual bridge represented from the card, you would put the 's at the end of "bridge."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

Oh thank you, I thought I was the only one who did this.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

80s James Hetfield posted:

If an opponent has a Kalitas out if anything dies or sacrificed the ability doesn't trigger right?

Correct. Specifically, death triggers won't happen since "dying" in magic requires the creature to go to the yard and Kalitas doesn't let it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It might be right, but it still sounds wrong. I would make for a fascist of an editor for an MtG site and make Strunk and White required reading.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is anybody running UW or is Spell Queller only showing up in Bant? I played my UW Flash deck today and rolled my friend's RB Vampires deck a couple matches. Seems good/was fun.

Wanna know what spells people are playing in that deck. I got 2 Ojutai's Command, 2 Pacifism, 2 Clash of Wills, 4 Declaration in Stone and 3 Horribly Awry. Reflector'd an Olivia and then countered it next time it came out. Felt good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
There are a few different takes on primarily UW tempo/spirit heavy lists right now, all of which have been making heavy use of Spell Queller. The card made a very strong showing today.

Ojutai's Command is also pretty good in a Spirits deck, since it can get back Rattlechains, Mausoleum Wanderer, and Selfless Spirit as cheeky ways to counter things other than creatures.

Most of the lists seem to be trying pretty hard to never cast spells on their own main phase if they can avoid it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

Is anybody running UW or is Spell Queller only showing up in Bant? I played my UW Flash deck today and rolled my friend's RB Vampires deck a couple matches. Seems good/was fun.

Wanna know what spells people are playing in that deck. I got 2 Ojutai's Command, 2 Pacifism, 2 Clash of Wills, 4 Declaration in Stone and 3 Horribly Awry. Reflector'd an Olivia and then countered it next time it came out. Felt good.

Jeff Hoogland was playing a pretty sweet UW spirits deck with it. They did a deck tech on it. Almost the entire deck is instant speed, and uses stasis snare instead of dec in stone since it's instant speed. Seemed pretty controlling.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

True, because Kalitas has a replacement clause preventing Hangarback from entering the graveyard at any point.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I just want to take a moment, after watching the SCG Stream, to appreciate the fact that WotC gives its commentators a pronunciation guide. "Kai-theon," "Jee-sella?" Come on, guys.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Other interesting riffles: Kalitas only triggers on death, so if their removal exiles your creature directly then they don't get the zombie.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Voyager I posted:

Other interesting riffles: Kalitas only triggers on death, so if their removal exiles your creature directly then they don't get the zombie.

It's a replacement effect. So it's not even a trigger you can miss. But you're right, exiling stuff won't give the Kalitas player a zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GonSmithe posted:

I just want to take a moment, after watching the SCG Stream, to appreciate the fact that WotC gives its commentators a pronunciation guide. "Kai-theon," "Jee-sella?" Come on, guys.

Kleetus, Traitor of Ghettysburg.

• Locked thread