Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:laffo: I started thinking 'oh that's an okay metaphor'

Then I reread it and no they literally built a district sized cast and filled it with concrete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Koburn posted:

Going through the recently released Big Book of Science Fiction compiled by the VanderMeers. My favourite story so far is 'The Doom of Principal City' by Yefim Zozulya. I had to share this part:

Is it an actual cube? Like is it several city blocks high?

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Koburn posted:

Going through the recently released Big Book of Science Fiction compiled by the VanderMeers. My favourite story so far is 'The Doom of Principal City' by Yefim Zozulya. I had to share this part:

Your avatar made me think all that scene needs is Dredd rolling up and muttering "That's what you get, creeps".

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Just finished Declare, went into it blind. Didn't even know some of the characters were based on real people. The afterword about Kim Philby was interesting.

Great book all around, though the first time it switched to a past scene in the middle of a chapter I thought my digital file was messed up.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Finished the last of Parker's Fencer trilogy, The Proof House. Probably the weakest of the three, but still a strong ending. The Loredans must be the most dysfunctional family I've encountered in fiction, at least that I can recall.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

taser rates posted:

Finished the last of Parker's Fencer trilogy, The Proof House. Probably the weakest of the three, but still a strong ending. The Loredans must be the most dysfunctional family I've encountered in fiction, at least that I can recall.

I dunno, they give each other some pretty sweet presents.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poldarn posted:

I dunno, they give each other some pretty sweet presents.
Yeah, now there's a twist I won't forget easily. I think the series ran out of steam after book 2, 3 just isn't very interesting and feels tacked on. Engineer is much better paced.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Started reading Magic Bites, the first in the Kate Daniels series. The cover made me skeptical, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

taser rates posted:

Been going through the engineers series. I'm not sure if it's the ebook scan or the author's prose but goddamn if there isn't a completely incomprehensible sentences every chapter or two.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Been going through the engineers series. I'm not sure if it's the ebook scan or the author's prose but goddamn if there isn't a completely incomprehensible sentences every chapter or two.

Do you have any examples? I'm reading it on my kindle (first book) and nothing has jumped out at me like that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think I'm early in the third novel but I'll try and go back and look up some stuff if I have time. I know that there's a lot fo period/engineering terminology and colloquialisms however, I ran into at least a half-dozen sentences in the first book of the trilogy where I even googled and used dictionary and translate searches and just couldn't figure out what was being said sometimes.

At times it's obviously just a bad scan of the source text which hosed up a couple letters in a word or turned some punctuation into something bizarre but other times, I'm just purely stymied by what was trying to be said.

I like the series a lot, it reminds me of Gilman's Half-Made World a lot more than I expected or can even elaborate on.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Robot Wendigo posted:

Started reading Magic Bites, the first in the Kate Daniels series. The cover made me skeptical, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

The Kate Daniels series is what Anita Blake would have been without the bat-poo poo crazy that happened around book 8.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Robot Wendigo posted:

Yeah, the covers make the series look like Paranormal romance (and none of the Kate models show any of Kate's toughness or physicality). This is the kind of series that could be better served by a Chris McGrath cover or something similar.

navyjack posted:

The Kate Daniels series is what Anita Blake would have been without the bat-poo poo crazy that happened around book 8.
Or basically a female Dresden if Dresden wasn't a tool.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Plowed through the Fifth Season in one go. Really accomplished and ambitious book, and exactly the kind of thing that sucks me in and leaves its mark. Shame it ends dozens of pages too early though.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Koesj posted:

Plowed through the Fifth Season in one go. Really accomplished and ambitious book, and exactly the kind of thing that sucks me in and leaves its mark. Shame it ends dozens of pages too early though.

I'll be reading that in a few days. Hopefully it'll blow away every other Hugo Best Novel finalist, because so far nothing else on it seems like a masterpiece.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Koesj posted:

Good thing next one's out in a couple weeks!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

fritz posted:

Good thing next one's out in a couple weeks!

Yeah I was really glad when I caught that immediately after finishing it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I read Greg Bear's Hull Zero Three a while back, and I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that hits similar notes-- mystery, almost horror, sci-fi that kind of captures the paranoia of being on a ship or in a confined location with something you don't understand. Any kind of sci-fi with that Alien kind of feeling would be cool actually. I've asked this other places and had the Alastair Reynolds books recommended (though I think that was in context of sci fi with cosmic horror themes in general) but I'd like something a little more self-contained like Hull Zero Three.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Just read Reynolds. He does what Hull Zero Three tried to do, except better, and David Bowie does the soundtrack.

It seems there's a new Dread Empire's Fall book coming this October?!

https://www.amazon.com/Impersonations-Praxis-Walter-Jon-Williams-ebook/dp/B01FQQ41DE/

Plot sounds like "Sula goes on vacation, accidentally starts a war" which I'm pretty down for.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Just read Reynolds. He does what Hull Zero Three tried to do, except better, and David Bowie does the soundtrack.

https://www.amazon.com/Impersonations-Praxis-Walter-Jon-Williams-ebook/dp/B01FQQ41DE/

Plot sounds like "Sula goes on vacation, accidentally starts a war" which I'm pretty down for.

I read Revelation Space, and liked it, but it felt really meandering. I get the feeling that's a common response to that one, are the rest of his books similar?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MockingQuantum posted:

I read Revelation Space, and liked it, but it felt really meandering. I get the feeling that's a common response to that one, are the rest of his books similar?

He has a ton of standalone stuff, and a lot of it is tightly focused. "House of Suns" is one self-contained book and is generally regarded as his best work, though I have a special affection for Revelation Space because it's so loving gothy. :3:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kesper North posted:

He has a ton of standalone stuff, and a lot of it is tightly focused. "House of Suns" is one self-contained book and is generally regarded as his best work, though I have a special affection for Revelation Space because it's so loving gothy. :3:

Cool, I'll grab that one and see how it strikes me. And yeah, I definitely enjoyed Revelation Space, enough that I'm probably going to re-read it. I read it probably three or four years ago and it was a fun ride.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I read Greg Bear's Hull Zero Three a while back, and I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that hits similar notes-- mystery, almost horror, sci-fi that kind of captures the paranoia of being on a ship or in a confined location with something you don't understand. Any kind of sci-fi with that Alien kind of feeling would be cool actually. I've asked this other places and had the Alastair Reynolds books recommended (though I think that was in context of sci fi with cosmic horror themes in general) but I'd like something a little more self-contained like Hull Zero Three.

That would be Anvil of Stars, sequel to Bear's Forge of God (which is different in style and tone, but you don't really need to read it to enjoy Anvil).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mars4523 posted:

Or basically a female Dresden if Dresden wasn't a tool.

I think I need to check these out.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

MockingQuantum posted:

Blindsight?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Kesper North posted:

So more 'the only remotely competent person in the Galaxy winning against idiots'?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

MockingQuantum posted:

Ship of Fools by Richard Russo.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ToxicFrog posted:

I think I need to check these out.

I googled those books because I'm with this guy, 'Harry Dresden but a woman' was enough to sell me.

Someone please tell me all the stuff about her being mated to a beast god (presumably the lion on all the covers?) isn't as awful as it sounds?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

mcustic posted:

That would be Anvil of Stars, sequel to Bear's Forge of God (which is different in style and tone, but you don't really need to read it to enjoy Anvil).

I don't understand the comparison. Anvil of Stars is much closer to Lord of the Flies or Ender's Game than what MockingQuantum is describing. If you're referring to the Brothers, all I would say is that while they are definitely alien, they are far from being treated as horrific, tonally.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Shab posted:

I don't understand the comparison. Anvil of Stars is much closer to Lord of the Flies or Ender's Game than what MockingQuantum is describing. If you're referring to the Brothers, all I would say is that while they are definitely alien, they are far from being treated as horrific, tonally.

Even if that's the case, I'm still interested. I'll add them to the list.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mcustic posted:

But it'd be kind of stupid not to since it provides some pretty important context for you to hold in your mind while you're reading the sequel.

MockingQuantum posted:

Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan by Russo has a great sense of despair and fear of the unknown, though it's not necessarily limited to the ship.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 24, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Am I missing something with House of Suns? It was decent enough, with some loving amazing ideas that I feel were never really developed and felt like set dressing for the less interesting story that we ended up getting.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Buca di Bepis posted:

Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan by Russo has a great sense of despair and fear of the unknown, though it's not necessarily limited to the ship.

Heh, looking at my to-read list, I already had Ship of Fools on there from ages ago. That, plus two recommendations in here, is probably a sign I should read that one soon.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I googled those books because I'm with this guy, 'Harry Dresden but a woman' was enough to sell me.

Someone please tell me all the stuff about her being mated to a beast god (presumably the lion on all the covers?) isn't as awful as it sounds?

It's less the "but a woman" that caught my eye and more the "but not a tool".

I stopped reading Dresden Files after book 3 or so because I wanted to strangle most of the alleged good guys, including Harry Dresden himself.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
MockingQuantum, it's not sci fi but Dan Simmons' "The Terror" checks all of the other boxes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman's American Gods has a trailer if anyone was waiting for that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
not going to watch until i know if the djinni having crazy gay sex with the taxi driver makes it in.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
But, what about the giant man eating vagina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Neurosis posted:

not going to watch until i know if the djinni having crazy gay sex with the taxi driver makes it in.

Neil said if you can think of any bit you really liked in the books, it probably made it.