Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

koolkevz666 posted:

I kind of feel sorry for Bioware's writers I mean writing for jedi/sith is rather easy any other class can have its problems.

Writing for Jedi and Sith is easy. Writing them well outside certain well-trodden archetypes is hard. I always point to the Light Side Warrior and the Jedi Consular as the really interesting force-user stories in this game. Jedi Knight, dark side Warrior, and Sith Inquisitor - I feel they're all competently written (less so the Inquisitor, but made up for it by excellent voice acting), but that's in large part because they're very traditional Star Wars archetypes that are so established and easy to write.

Revan in general - and especially another villain we'll get to later - summarizes most of my problems with how Star Wars tends to write the Force. There's no real explanation for what he can do, no clearly defined limits, and his motives and methods are a confusing mess of Force gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Inquisitor is great because of how unhinged they are. They're here for phenomenal cosmic power and nobody's going to get in the way.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I made my Inquisitor as ridiculous looking as possible and it still came off menacing. As light side.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

wiegieman posted:

The Inquisitor is great because of how unhinged they are. They're here for phenomenal cosmic power and nobody's going to get in the way.

And on the flip side, a light side Inquisitor has some stunningly insightful views on the correct way to interpret the Sith Code. I was really pleasantly surprised.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

SKY COQ posted:

And on the flip side, a light side Inquisitor has some stunningly insightful views on the correct way to interpret the Sith Code. I was really pleasantly surprised.

Is there something similar on the Jedi side? Where a player character can say "hey maybe the jedi code just means that we can't let emotion cloud our judgment instead of forcing us to be emotionless robots"?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Is there something similar on the Jedi side? Where a player character can say "hey maybe the jedi code just means that we can't let emotion cloud our judgment instead of forcing us to be emotionless robots"?

Kind of. It's a big point in both Jedi Consular romances that a healthy, adult relationship is a beautiful thing that is a crucial part of life, the very wellspring from which the Force flows and that the Order's utter condemnation of love is, at best, misguided.

Don't think you can ever get a dark side Jedi to deconstruct the Jedi Code, though.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
The Dark Side doesn't deconstruct the code, it rejects it like a sulky teenager yelling SCREW YOU DAD YOU CAN'T MAKE ME.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There is their own Sith Code, however, which is basically written as a moody rejection of the Jedi Code - which was probably the thinking of whatever EU writer came up with it.

I do like that they made some effort to differentiate the four force-wielding classes and give them voices and choices that make them seem like somewhat distinct characters, which I think came across in the playthroughs done for each of them. If we're being a little generous, this helps when the game's story becomes single-track with the expansions, since unique bits of dialogue like Mort asserting he's the Emperor's Wrath are pretty rare so a residual sense of your class's distinct identity from the class quests helps.

Imagine, every time they want a new line of dialogue for the player character they need to have it recorded by sixteen different people and it has to make sense with the characterization of eight different character identities. That's got to be seriously constraining.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

Imagine, every time they want a new line of dialogue for the player character they need to have it recorded by sixteen different people and it has to make sense with the characterization of eight different character identities. That's got to be seriously constraining.

Bioware finds a way around this of sorts. Your mileage may vary on how effective it is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 18: My Favorite Part

Click for Video

PTN’s note: :supaburn: Achievement Unlocked, player character agency! I knew you could do it, BioWare! I know it’s obvious that you’re going to wind up at the slave camp next no matter what, but the fact that the player can be the one to suggest it rather than waiting for Lana or Theron is a big leap in writing quality.

Basically, anyone in Raider’s Cove who doesn’t give the Nova Blades a slice of their action or whatever gets locked away.
Some get put into hazardous labor--like mining--but most are sold as slaves to visitors from offworld. It’s a lucrative business for the Blades.

You got that right.
You’ll have to slip in with one of the Nova Blades’ cargo shipments. I’m sure the island’s heavily guarded, so try not to get killed.

No, he said what he meant.
C’mon, Vette. Time to get into the box.

We’re going in there?
It’ll be a bit cramped.
It’s a good thing I like you.

Hey, boss?
Vette, I’m a pirate now. Please call me ‘Captain.’ No wait, ‘Supreme Admiral.’
Before we do this, I have something I need to say.
Alright, Vette. You know I always have time for you.

No jokes, no smart comments… every slaver here--every scumbag who treats people like property--has to die. We have to kill them.

Can do, Vette.

I--wow, thank you! We’ll hide out in one of them shipping deals till you’re ready to go!

Huh. The pirates captured an organized dance troupe?
I thought you weren’t going to make any smart comments.
Ok. One smart comment.

Click for Video

Ceetoo Deefour here. We have your coordinates and are on our way.

Your debt’s the least of the Nova Blades’ worries right now.
I believe it.
Even in this place, we hear stuff. About your gang, the way you been making life ugly for the Blades. We wanna be a part of that.

Hey, we’re good at a whole lotta stuff. Tell you what: get in touch with a pal of mine in Raider’s Cove. Harlow Ricks.
Check in with Ricks from time to time, tell him what you want us to do, and we’ll do it--simple as that.
You get nice and close to Margok, you give him one for me, all right?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Should have guessed she'd finally make an appearance on the Bird Planet considering.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Are you talking about Vette's line? Because yeah, that was pretty powerful stuff. I would've breezed right through this bit and straight into the next if she hadn't asked to kill every slaver there.

I don't show it, but I went out of my way so Mort and Vette could hit every spawn point together.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
No, I was just making a joke, that might actually just be wrong; I was assuming that ship is the Ebon Hawk and it debuts in this game on the planet with a bird theme. I instantly, at looking at it assumed it was the Hawk with a graphical update, but actually on second look maybe not. Oh well.

But yeah, nice little bit from Vette there. Did a double check to confirm that was a ingame line and not one of yours. Nice to see the companions are getting bits again. Considering their silence on Korriban/Tython/Manan I had figured they hadn't bothered to get any of the VAs back for this expansion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

No, I was just making a joke, that might actually just be wrong; I was assuming that ship is the Ebon Hawk and it debuts in this game on the planet with a bird theme. I instantly, at looking at it assumed it was the Hawk with a graphical update, but actually on second look maybe not. Oh well.

Nope, but it is the exact same starship the Smuggler flies around which definitely is made in the Ebon Hawk/Millenium Falcon lineage. KOTOR and TOR even justify it as all three ships being built by the same megacorp. Same reason, say, the Sith ship looks like a relative of the TIE Fighter - it's a Sienar Fleet Systems ship, and that's apparently been their look for thousands of years.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The important thing here is Jakarro's watering down Quentine's brand! His ship's even painted the same colours, come on man! :argh:

"Thus always to slavers" is a pretty good bonus quest title. The sort of medieval chattel slavery of Star Wars is one of the ways it's more fantasy space opera than science fiction, and it's nice seeing the game make a little acknowledgement of one companion's backstory considering they have to worry about 40-odd companions per quest now. I'm guessing she'll say the same thing if the Sith Warrior still has her enslaved by this point as well, although the subtext might be a little different in that case.

I'm glad slavery occupies the bottom rung of evil deeds in the game, since whomping on slavers is pretty much universally satisfying regardless of setting. It's only a pity Empire players can't do much to combat slavery within the Empire, and likewise it would've been nice to extract some slavery-related concessions in Rise of the Hutt Cartel when the Republic breaks the Hutts over their knee.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You finished Vette's personal storyline right? That's some development from her reaction back then.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Not every companion has ambient comments in Shadow of Revan, but I think all the romancable companions do, along with a few of the 'gibberish' speaking aliens. I think even Treek has a line or two.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So we're basically assembling our own lovable ragtag pirate crew?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
We'll see!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Who do you need besides the droid on a Wookiee? Honestly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 19: So Much for the Pirates

Click for Video

That would be an understatement. Theron’s been monitoring communications; you’ve caused quite a stir.
Want some gratification? Here, check this out. Just recorded.

How would you like it if I made it your personal problem? Gimme Revan! I wanna talk to Revan!

You don’t put Revan on, the Nova Blades stop rerouting galactic traffic. That ain’t negotiable.

Commodore Margok, are you threatening to alter the terms of our deal?
I paid you to do a job and you’ve done it well, but that’s over now. I no longer have any use for your Nova Blades.
Hey, I know Torch and her Mandalorian clan up and left us, but the Blades still got a lot to offer.
not if you don’t have your own house in order. Put an end to the upstart causing you trouble and I’ll consider resuming our alliance.

Guess it was silly of me to question, huh?
The Nova Blades still have an impressive roster of hardened criminals at their disposal, and the Aggressor is still heavily fortified.
The Aggressor’s their headquarters. You’ve seen it--a crashed ship Margok turned into a fortress. Can’t get in without the proper security codes.
That won’t be a problem for me.
We’ll get Jakarro to lend a hand all the same.

I can see why the Nova Blades decided to stay here.

Alright, Jakarro. Light it up.
Hit’s away!

Click for Video

Yeah, go ahead and laugh it up. Won’t be laughing long.
My forebears founded Raider’s Cove. This is my island, and I’m not giving it up.
So come on in. Do your worst. In the end, you ain’t coming out alive.
They’ve got live slicers in there managing network security on the fly. I can’t do anything until they’re offline.
You can’t do anything until the live slicers are “offline.”
Yes.

I’ll handle it.
I’m sure you will.

Doesn’t get much more “offline” than that.
Security measures are down. Trouble is, so’s the network. Margok must’ve shut it down manually.
Yeah, yeah. Go “offline” Margok.

Well. That was easy.

Click for Video

Loud and clear. I’m in. Full access.
This is the sort of momentum we could never create on our own.
Because neither of you actually do anything.
We need to maintain that momentum. Surely, if the Revanites are done with the Nova Blades as Revan indicated, they’re on to the next stage of their plan.

Welcome to my galaxy.
While Theron’s pulling down data, I suggest you start to make your way back to Raider’s Cove. Hopefully, he’ll have found something of use by then.
Be right there.

What have we learned from the Aggressor?
Very little, I’m afraid. It would appear someone took it upon themselves to corrupt much of the data as a last resort.
It’s a real mess. Getting fragments, but nothing incredibly coherent.
The one thing that does keep turning up is the Mandalorian Margok brought up earlier--the one they call Torch.
What about her?
Well, it looks like Torch and Margok were thick as thieves for a while, then something happened. Had to do with the Revanites.

Beniko has other plans for me and the droid.
I’m sending Jakarro out on a scouting run; I’ve made local arrangements for your transportation should he not return in time.
Wow, you’ve been busier than I thought.

I’m surprised they didn’t do that thing where they both fight over who gets to be the last one to say goodbye. Your holocommunicator’s beeping, by the way.
Must be our “local transportation.”

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Heeeey! It's our old friend... wait, which one was he?

E: oh right, council member who helped us take down Baras on Corellia.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

Heeeey! It's our old friend... wait, which one was he?

Sith Grandpa.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sith Grandpa.

Well yeah, but I always get him mixed up with the one from Voss who was a jerk. All those sith look alike.

shaszoor
Jun 15, 2009
I just wanted to pop in and say thank you to everybody for this lp. It managed to get me back into this dumb game. As repayment I wanted to share my Jedi Guardian with everyone.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

shaszoor posted:

I just wanted to pop in and say thank you to everybody for this lp. It managed to get me back into this dumb game. As repayment I wanted to share my Jedi Guardian with everyone.

OMG It's perfect in every way.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I can die happy knowing we've done good work. :allears:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yet somehow less creepy than some of the more unironic characters you see running around the Republic and Empire's space stations. At least Kira's fully clothed.

Sometimes I like to wonder what all the blinking extras and doodads do on some of these outfits. Like the lights going along the top of the fedora - are they for something? Do they convey mood? Does the hat have a little battery pack, or a tiny sci-fi reactor? Are they wired into the computer earmuffs?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its the autotipper status.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I like to imagine his Lightsaber's name is Hatsune Miku and that it's made out of pure Hanzo Steel. You Plebians.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hm. I thought Grandpa was dead!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Darth Grandpa is very much alive.

That rear end in a top hat From Voss not so much.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bruceski posted:

Well yeah, but I always get him mixed up with the one from Voss who was a jerk. All those sith look alike.

That's space racist Bruceski.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

That's space racist Bruceski.

Spacism is perfectly valid in the Star Wars universe. Evidence: Hutts, Bothans.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose this is a disadvantage to being a dread pirate -- everyone can see you coming and destroy all the valuables.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

SynthOrange posted:

Its the autotipper status.

"M'Jedi."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Trooper Update 43 – Fill'er up!

ENROUTE TO QUESH

Finally called him out on it, ran a weapons diagnostic. Loudmouth's packing some serious ordnance.
Guess Havoc is finally shaping into a real squad.
You haven't seen anything yet. For starters, our next member won't be an insubordinate rear end in a top hat.
Your words, sir, not mine. Just remember, people's expectations of us – of you – are only gonna get bigger.
That CO post could get real heavy, real quick.
If I couldn't handle the job, I wouldn't have taken it back. Believe me, I'm up for this.
Commanding a squad is no cakewalk. Nothing worse than having to choose between the success of the mission and the lives of your men.
A leader's got to be ready to make those kinds of life-or-death decisions. There's no room for doubt.

Okay, I'll shut up.

Well, fun as this chat's been I'm getting a page from Dorne. Keep up the good work, Lieutenant.

Recommended for pulse-pounding human resources action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEcJTIMZ2k

What can I do for you, Dorne?
As a condition of my service in the Republic military, Personnel Division requires that I report regularly on my activities.
However, my Havoc Squad missions are classified and cannot be shared with Personnel Division. I'd like to ask if you would vouch for me when I report in.
Really? Sounds like a hassle considering they're willing to let you into the army in the first place. I've never had to do any check-ins.
I confess, sir, I did become curious about how the conditions of your... situation differed from mine, but any records on the subject appear highly classifed. As for my own case, that is a matter for Personnel Division to decide. We should use the ship's secure holocomm.
Captain Kalor? This is Elara Dorne, personnel number 22-795, reporting in per regulation 449.

Well enough, sir. Allow me to introduce you to the commander of Havoc Squad – my new CO. Sir, this is Captain Kalor, Army Personnel division.
I don't see that Dorne's loyalty needs to be proven further.
Oh, we're all very proud of Elara. This is just part of the process.
Tell me about being in the top squad in the Republic, Elara. You must be keeping very busy.
I'm sorry, Captain, but you aren't authorized to know about Havoc Squad's activities. My CO will have to vouch for me from now on.

Don't try to push us, desk jockey. It won't end well.
Are you insane? You're actually threatening me?
What? No, that's just a friendly heads-up. If I was threatening you, you wouldn't have to ask.
Just... just carry on, Elara. We'll talk about this after I've had a word with my superiors. Kalor out.
Hm. I wasn't expecting him to react so strongly. Surely he didn't expect me to report on classified information?
You can't expect much out of a solider who doesn't even fight.
I have to disagree. Wars are won as much through organization as combat success, and specialists are needed for both.
Oh, sure. But if you're a specialist in paper-pushing you should listen to an expert when they tell you “that's none of your goddamn business”.

Wait, were you doing those reports to Kalor while we were hiding out in black ops?
Oh, of course sir. Maintaining a cover-identity within the wider Republic army is an integral responsibility of any unofficial military formation. I submitted false reports during that time with the Supreme Commander's full authorization.
So... why not just do the same thing again and tell Kalor whatever he wants to hear?
But sir! Republic Special Forces is an official and highly-regulated branch of the Republic military! Unlike our last posting, it would be flagrantly illegal under Republic law to submit false reports while serving here.
But the whole point of being black ops is we were breaking... you know what? Forget I even asked. Just call me if Kalor keeps causing you problems, I'm going to check in with 4X.

Since my verbobrain was first activated, I have longed to engage the enemies of freedom directly.
Under your noble leadership, I can finally fulfill the mission the Republic's peerless scientists designed me for!
Now that's the kind of pick-me-up I was hoping for. It's good that you're so enthusiastic about our mission.
I can't take all of the credit for my enthusiasm, of course. I owe everything to my primary designer – Doctor Boab Deduun.
Thanks to Doctor Deduun, I can understand the importance of our fight, and the extent of the threats we face. And I can fight harder for it.
Sounds like there's one scientist out there who gets it. Could you introduce me to Doctor Deduun sometime?
I would be happy to do so, but Dr. Deduun's lab is highly classified – even I don't know its actual location.

Much as I like listening to you go on about blowing up Imps for truth, freedom and the Republic way, I should probably see how Vik's settling in. Make sure he's not planning on selling off the weapons lockers.
Give my regards to our valiant new comrade in arms! I keenly anticipate the bonfire of justice he will build out of the Republic's enemies!
Okay, starting to get a little creepy there, but otherwise carry on.

I think this will do, Boss.
Does this mean you can actually follow orders once in a while?
Stranger things have happened.
Trust me-
Famous last words.
-You keep me happy, I'll keep you happy.
Now, let's put some of this fancy equipment to use. Oh, wait, before I forget.

I've got an Imperial superweapon to knock out, you think I want anything to do with your little side-business?
Then give 'em to charity. Toss 'em out the airlock – I don't care.

If that's the way you're going to be, I might as well spend them on some hazard gear. We're coming up on Quesh now and guess who just volunteered for the operation?
Happy to do my part. Us Weequay are a lot more toxic-resistant than most humanoids.
Oh, really? I look forward to putting that to the test.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

On a personal note, as a roboticist-in-training myself, I can guarantee that M1-4X actually owes everything to his primary designer's grad students. I bet Deduun insists on first billing on papers he supervises but doesn't even write, too.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So how much does Vik give you there? Enough for a pack of space gum or even less? I'm going to guess it doesn't even give half of the amount needed for one of the gifts you need to give him to trigger it, after telling him to gently caress off in every conversation.

Dr. Deduun wasn't that Hutt on Republic Makeb was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Paused posted:

So how much does Vik give you there? Enough for a pack of space gum or even less? I'm going to guess it doesn't even give half of the amount needed for one of the gifts you need to give him to trigger it, after telling him to gently caress off in every conversation.

Dr. Deduun wasn't that Hutt on Republic Makeb was it?

They changed the companion happiness stuff and conversations, so you don't actually have to bribe them up to get their companion conversations, they're now gated to where you are in story. They also set it up so "such and so disapproves" actually gives influence, just less than an approve response. Influence is just a factor in how strong companions are at this point.

And no, not the Hutt doctor, that was Doctor Oggorob(sp?). While the Republic has sanity/ethical issues, they didn't really outsource a top secret battle droid's development (this time, anyway).

• Locked thread