Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have never played Dwarf Fortress or a game like it, but Rimworld is catching my attention. Am I correct in understanding you control each colonist individually instead of letting AI handle them while you build a base and hope for the best? It seems like you can control every aspect of this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Yeah that's all fine, but the gigantic downside to trying to use melee is how brutal friendly fire is, so you either try to do all melee or you accept that your melee guys will regularly be mangled by your own shooters. Doing all melee actually works pretty well though, except for hunting.

Wildtortilla posted:

I have never played Dwarf Fortress or a game like it, but Rimworld is catching my attention. Am I correct in understanding you control each colonist individually instead of letting AI handle them while you build a base and hope for the best? It seems like you can control every aspect of this game?

Yes you can manually micromanage their work, and there's also a work/task priority system that you can manage for all colonists. You also can micromanage them in tactical combat.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Freshly arrived on the coast, the five tribal survivors assess their situation. Ruins scatter the beach, with one structure intact. Lacking wood to build even a simple structure, they come to a decision. They will breach the wall of the most intact building, to use for shelter. Coming to the wall, hairs on their necks stand on end. Inside they sense the guardian of this tomb. Bracing themselves, they line up, wooden bows against the unholy fire of the machine. Breaching the wall, arrows fly, hitting the smaller more agile type of machine. It is alone! A lone guardian over the three crypt caskets that hold people in their endless sleep. The beast falls! no one was injured! Truly a blessing.

A stray railgun round breached one of the cryotubes. Three bodies fall out. Fat males, hunks of gold clutched to their chests. They are naked. Ugly beards and ratty hair adorn their heads. The first is dead. He is dragged from the tomb, his gold sorted elsewhere for later. The tribal witch doctor stops and moves the remaining naked men to a place where she can tend their wounds. They never let the gold from their hands, even in unconsciousness. Wounds tended, one of the tribes dogs eats the corpse of the first to exit the cryotube just outside the crypt. the men awaken, their wounds tended, naked, their gold still clutched in their hands. The first living thing they see after untold centuries of sleep is dogs humping inches from where they lay in their own vomit on the stone floor.

Naked, in pain, injured, but bandaged, the two stumble out of the empty crypt, never seeing the tribals that saved them. The two fat, naked, neck bearded goons stagger down the beach, gold still in their hands, and into the wilderness.

e: none of them could do dumb labor, violence, or crafting :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You found the lost goon colonly

I wish someone would mod in shunning, so you can just kick a guy out of the colony without euthanizing them. I'd be fine with it having all the same downsides like the lasting unhappy thought, it just feels like it should be there and isn't. It'd make good sculpture fodder too.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

You found the lost goon colonly

I wish someone would mod in shunning, so you can just kick a guy out of the colony without euthanizing them. I'd be fine with it having all the same downsides like the lasting unhappy thought, it just feels like it should be there and isn't. It'd make good sculpture fodder too.

Sending them to fistfight a bear does the trick. And if they win they can come back to a heroes welcome.

edit: they never win I made that part up.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
pretty sure you can arrest and release people to get them outta the colony

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Eh, if their other skills are important dumb labour doesn't matter.

Like if they are good at plant/cooking/crafting just set them to do that with no real distraction.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah that's all fine, but the gigantic downside to trying to use melee is how brutal friendly fire is, so you either try to do all melee or you accept that your melee guys will regularly be mangled by your own shooters. Doing all melee actually works pretty well though, except for hunting.

Mixed combat just requires positioning your melee dudes on the opposite side of the target from the firing squad. Also keeping the firing range area of your kill box lit up so your gun users don't suffer aim penalties.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Impermanent posted:

Oh that's a good idea, thanks.

Skaw posted:

Mixed combat just requires positioning your melee dudes on the opposite side of the target from the firing squad. Also keeping the firing range area of your kill box lit up so your gun users don't suffer aim penalties.

I know that but it isn't especially fun to do that level of micromanagement. It'd be a little nicer if there was built in squad grouping.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

A female grizzy bear has claimed my new hydroponics bay as its den and mauled my main engineer. GOTY

Very nice of you to pre-supply its den with food.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Impermanent posted:

Nope, a released colonist prisoner just goes back to being a colonist, albeit with a mood loss

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is it possible to make scenarios with predefined characters or are they always randomized by the player?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can just give percentage chances for traits. So they still random, but the randoms are always creepy breathers

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Azhais posted:

You can just give percentage chances for traits. So they still random, but the randoms are always creepy breathers

Make a scenario where all player characters have 100% chance for Beautiful and all non-player characters have 75% chance for creepy breathing, annoying voice, and ugly.

Or the other way around.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's something wrong with that "random chance of X trait" scenario constraint, or at least it doesn't work the way it sounds. Setting a trait to appear on 20% of characters is more like almost all of them will have it, in practice.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Danaru posted:

Nope, a released colonist prisoner just goes back to being a colonist, albeit with a mood loss

poo poo. i guess i didn't need to kill that guy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What is a good mix of starting colonists these days? I haven't played since the initial alpha release.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All I do is try to make sure I don't overlap the eternal jobs, like no cook/researchers.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
What's the best type of colony to start with for a new player, a regular colony or a tribal start?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Probably non tribal. Double research time is kinda annoying for your first colony

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Tribal is way more fun but also can be way more frustrating. I'd definitely go colony for the first couple plays.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

He nerfed that somewhat, the incident only fires "further underground" whatever that means exactly.

Multiple hives were spawning in the empty space where some steel had been mined out on a non-mountain map on catonmarz's last Rimworld stream, so I don't buy that at all.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
To just learn the game, I recommend going with Crashlanded. Rough Cassandra Classic is the basic storyteller and difficulty.

After a couple of games of that branch out and try other stuff. If you just want to build poo poo, go with Phoebe Chillax. But I still recommend using Crashlanded as the basic scenario until you know a little bit more about how to play the game.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 24, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Here's a really neat mod that turns the game start into a disaster movie plane crash sequence. Stuff falling out of the sky and exploding and starting fires, injured and maimed pawns, and other such stuff.

Edit: I think it has too high a chance of giving you a ton of functional colonists, though.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Tribal is way more fun but also can be way more frustrating. I'd definitely go colony for the first couple plays.

In particular, tribal has the absurdity that everybody dies in summer heatwaves because you don't have the tech to build coolers.

Edit: On that note, I recommend looking at this mod, which adds some (real-life) methods to control temperature without needing electrical power.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 24, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What is a good mix of starting colonists these days? I haven't played since the initial alpha release.

generally i start with a grower, a doctor, and a cook on the three colonist start, and i make sure everyone can haul. if you're doing tribals add an animal tender and a dedicated hunter as well. later on social becomes important as you start trading. there aren't really any power skills though and you can accept a low-skill person and grow them into a role if they have a passion for a skill, represented by a flame or two flames - means they level up that skill faster

research is kind of important but not critical unless you're doing a gimmick start like on a glacier or something

CrusherEAGLE posted:

What's the best type of colony to start with for a new player, a regular colony or a tribal start?

regular colony for sure

tribals have some dumb handicaps, notably they die in heat waves and you have to get food production up ASAP as the colony starts you off with a month's worth of emergency dinners scattered across the map. tribals start with like 1-2 days worth of stored food

by the end of the first day you should have 4 beds indoors, all of your stuff indoors out of the rain, and have picked up every survival meal on the map

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 24, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Toxic Fallout and a Psychic Drone ship part within 3 hours of each other. Sure, why not.

Edit: is there any way to designate where Caravans and traders from other towns can set up? I don't really endorse them hanging out right in-between my turrets and the funnel I've set up for raids.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 24, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I put the game down until prepare carefully has been updated / taken up by another modder, i didnt realize how much i enjoyed making on colonist from scratch.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
Recommend mods?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Blacktoll posted:

I put the game down until prepare carefully has been updated / taken up by another modder, i didnt realize how much i enjoyed making on colonist from scratch.

There's a beta version of Prepare Carefully that works with version 14 here: https://github.com/edbmods/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases

And yeah, prepare carefully is pretty necessary to my enjoyment of this game. The scenario editor is ok, but it's unwieldy and doesn't give enough control. It's a lot more fun to have dwarf fortress style control of your starting dudes.

Really this game is brutally unfair and kind of not fun if all you have is vanilla. Mods fill in a lot of gaps that I hope eventually make it into the game proper.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 24, 2016

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Here is a tip for those that avoid building wooden buildings against fires. You can extend the roof of your buildings out a few tiles creating an overhang. this kills the grass by putting it in darkness, leaving you a bare dirt fire break with very little resources or work needed as opposed to stone tiles.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

winterwerefox posted:

Here is a tip for those that avoid building wooden buildings against fires. You can extend the roof of your buildings out a few tiles creating an overhang. this kills the grass by putting it in darkness, leaving you a bare dirt fire break with very little resources or work needed as opposed to stone tiles.

I usually just slap down concrete. no time to speak of to put down, only 1 steel per section

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How the hell do I get these moronic traders to not stand in the middle of the drat firing line for my turrets? I have a huge open space further into my base that would be a hundred times better for them to hang around in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh yeah don't try and combine melee and gunfire because yeah obviously you'll shoot your own guys up a bunch, if you're using melee it's a good idea to design your colony around it so there's lots of tight quarters and no good firing lines.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

How the hell do I get these moronic traders to not stand in the middle of the drat firing line for my turrets? I have a huge open space further into my base that would be a hundred times better for them to hang around in.

It helps if you make tables but part of that is Tynan thinks it's funny when noncombatants get owned, this is why colonists going to take a walk or look at the sky will walk outside your perimeter to jerk off in private :smith::fh:

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
So what happens when you start running out of steel and other minerals. Im on a mountain desert map and i used up all the vissible steel already. Starting to mine in wards hopping to just find some. But what heppens when that is used up am i screwed? Im playing with the chill narrator just building up my colony. Almost to second fall.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Flesh Forge posted:

It helps if you make tables but part of that is Tynan thinks it's funny when noncombatants get owned
I mean, he's kinda right. I do appreciate the idea that - no poo poo sherlock - standing around or close to a firefight is a loving terrible idea that will mess you up. Especially considering how (realistically) awful people are at handling and aiming guns. And your dudes aren't a highly trained military squad, they're a bunch of stressed out, whiny and clumsy spoiled morons ("No dumb labor" my rear end) barely clinging to life in a lovely stranded wasteland.

But having some option to handle the risk somehow once you're aware of it (and probably learned it the hard way) isn't prohibited by that idea.

Maybe a "visitor zone"? Although that probably would lead people to build elaborate kill-boxes for trivial ambushes for easily exploitable npc AI.

On second thought thats likely already a thing, isn't it.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 24, 2016

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Any idea why some mod items will be fine my first few sessions and then randomly I get a purple square on the items?

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

the moose posted:

So what happens when you start running out of steel and other minerals. Im on a mountain desert map and i used up all the vissible steel already. Starting to mine in wards hopping to just find some. But what heppens when that is used up am i screwed? Im playing with the chill narrator just building up my colony. Almost to second fall.

You will eventually need to start transitioning to a manufacturing economy. Make sculptures and clothes and sell them to traders, use the profits to buy more steel.

There's probably still a lot of steel left in mountains though, if you're just starting to mine into them. There used to be a mod that allowed you to designate mining in a grid pattern for quick prospecting. I haven't played anything but flat areas since the latest version so I don't know if it's been updated yet.

GraceGarland fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 24, 2016

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Are there any mods that prevent firearms from spawning, or make them significantly rarer? I checked the workshop and Google but couldn't find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

the moose posted:

If you have the gardening mod you can grow steel leaf plants to smelt down for more steel.