Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't think this was bad, but I felt like it was the weakest of the three reboot movies by far. I was really bored for a lot more of it than I should have been.

Also I laughed at the joke about 20th century Earth rap being classical music since the guy who does the TNG Edits on YouTube already beat them to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cXWrdHshE

I will say that my favorite thing about the movie was the design of the Yorktown. I absolutely love when sci-fi works decide to use conceits like artificial gravity in creative ways. The five minute scene when the Enterprise is entering through the space tunnel that makes it look like it's underwater and all the city-scapes were coming together at right angles, that was utterly riveting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I enjoyed Beyond, I'd put it right up there with 2009 Trek and First Contact. The space battles looked great, the characters all had something interesting to do (yay Bones!), and the villain was interesting. Excellent humor too.

I was glad they went their own way with an original bad guy/planet instead of rehashing something like Into Darkness.

The good:
-One of the low points of Into Darkness was introducing the planet to planet transporter technology, as it throws a wrench into the "final frontier" if the crew should be able to have whatever they need transported from earth instantly. By putting the crew on an isolated planet, and giving them an older ship, they didn't need to address that.
-I was glad Scotty's blue sidekick was sidelined, too goofy and seemed like he should be in Star Wars prequels.
-The villain reveal was excellent, I liked how it explained why this mysterious alien was so good at fighting the Federation and knew about the crew. I especially liked how he had been a MACO and had fought the Xindi.

The iffy:
-Bones had a lot to do and was likable, but that accent was terrible. Southern accents aren't just speaking 10% more gruff.
-Kirk seemed indifferent towards his mistake of trusting alien lady getting 80% of his crew killed. He doesn't need to stop to mourn each death, but something like Picard in First Contact where Lily calls him out for going over the edge when he dissects Ensign Lynch for Borg tech would have been appreciated.

Overall fantastic, go see it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well Paramount has no pretexts that people will care about the story. The current TV spot is literally the plot twist revealed in the final 10 minutes of the film.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mojo Threepwood posted:

-One of the low points of Into Darkness was introducing the planet to planet transporter technology

I actually loved that. I am sure they won't use it well in any of the movies but star trek technology used to be so far reaching and speculative and became so ossified. I loved the concept of star trek just throwing in development and moving forward of the tech they have established. It's a franchise that started out telling whatever story it wanted using whatever technology was needed for the story but became so shackled over time by continuity. On something that is so dumb to be locked by continuity since inventing new technology is an actual real thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyway, this just made me that much more excited for the upcoming Trek series.

Please don't suck.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Has anywhere got a good picture of the Enterprise-A yet?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I actually loved that. I am sure they won't use it well in any of the movies but star trek technology used to be so far reaching and speculative and became so ossified. I loved the concept of star trek just throwing in development and moving forward of the tech they have established. It's a franchise that started out telling whatever story it wanted using whatever technology was needed for the story but became so shackled over time by continuity. On something that is so dumb to be locked by continuity since inventing new technology is an actual real thing.

Think of this.... yes, we understand that Federation tech in NuTrek (I use that term respectfully) is more advanced than their tech of the original timeline, possibly because of all the temporal fuckery (Borg Queen torpedoes Montana, Archer's Temporal Cold War, etc) that has happened since ShatnerKirk was on TV. And that's fine. It follows one of the schools of thought regarding time travel.

But think of some of the classic, all powerful beings the old Enterprise crews have encountered over the decades.... one of their powers sometimes manifested as being able to translocate themselves across vast distances seemingly instantaneously... like Q. And now the Federation has the same power, with the ability to transport between entire star systems, light years away from each other. Wouldn't it be a huge twist if in the upcoming movie Chekov, Russian wiz-kid and mathematical genius), decided his path lay in R&D, and he invents a new, unbreakable tractor beam that appears to be a giant, green, grasping hand.... gasp!

The way they integrate tech they discover it just interesting, is all I'm trying to say.

Let's see how badly CBS fucks up the momentum in their new series.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

GORDON posted:

Think of this.... yes, we understand that Federation tech in NuTrek (I use that term respectfully) is more advanced than their tech of the original timeline, possibly because of all the temporal fuckery (Borg Queen torpedoes Montana, Archer's Temporal Cold War, etc) that has happened since ShatnerKirk was on TV. And that's fine. It follows one of the schools of thought regarding time travel.

But think of some of the classic, all powerful beings the old Enterprise crews have encountered over the decades.... one of their powers sometimes manifested as being able to translocate themselves across vast distances seemingly instantaneously... like Q. And now the Federation has the same power, with the ability to transport between entire star systems, light years away from each other. Wouldn't it be a huge twist if in the upcoming movie Chekov, Russian wiz-kid and mathematical genius), decided his path lay in R&D, and he invents a new, unbreakable tractor beam that appears to be a giant, green, grasping hand.... gasp!

The way they integrate tech they discover it just interesting, is all I'm trying to say.

TRoo bad Chekov won't be in the next one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well I'm pretty sure any future movies will not rely on Chekhov since the actor playing him died.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Loxbourne posted:

Has anywhere got a good picture of the Enterprise-A yet?

I thought six was good.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was obvious that my intent was that Chekov would not be in the next trek action movie, because he had gone to starfleet R&D, and his poo poo can be mentioned in passing. But now you've made me go into FanFiction to explain that, and now I feel dirty.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the cold open of Into Darkness is my favorite sequence from any of these new Star Trek movies.

For all my complaints earlier, this one is really fun though.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I hadn't followed any of the build for this movie at all outside of seeing that terrible initial trailer they put out, and I was really pleasantly surprised at how good it was. To me if felt like they took the opening sequence from Into Darkness and made it into a full movie, and I had zero problem with that.

Also maybe I'm a sucker but I was genuinely touched by the scene of Spock finding the picture of the original cast in Ambassador Spock's belongings, I thought it was a really lovely moment. :shobon:

That picture got me right in the feels when you realize that was probably the only thing Spock always had on him, as his little Jellyfish ship from Star Trek 09 wasn't exactly spacious. It's Spock's equivalent of keeping baby pictures in his wallet.

Also was Shohreh Aghdashloo's character supposed to be related to Tom Paris and Admiral Paris?

RaspberrySea fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 24, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing I did find weird about the movie Kraal constantly railing that unity is a terrible weakness and will fail the trek crew when they rely on it and his way was far superior. Meanwhile his entire armada is destroyed because it relies on a unified group dynamic that gets disrupted.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing I did find weird about the movie Kraal constantly railing that unity is a terrible weakness and will fail the trek crew when they rely on it and his way was far superior. Meanwhile his entire armada is destroyed because it relies on a unified group dynamic that gets disrupted.

Yeah but the difference is Krall controlled the swarm/his minions; they weren't really "united" in the sense that the crew is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MorgaineDax posted:

That picture got me right in the feels when you realize that was probably the only thing Spock always had on him, as his little Jellyfish ship from Star Trek 09 wasn't exactly spacious. It's Spock's equivalent of keeping baby pictures in his wallet.
Yeah, that's the really heartbreaking realization: his friends are all gone, wiped from the timeline. He has nothing of them anymore, and instead watches these simulacra of his past play on. Granted, there wasn't anyone from TOS around in TNG aside from maybe Scotty if he bothered to look him up. But it really hilighted the fact that the era is done

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

McCoy was around in TNG for a bit.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

GORDON posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

The "Discovery" is getting a chilly reaction, fans seem to be bitchy about the design and/or the VFX. I kinda think it looks whatever, and the render is maybe low quality unless they're just doing some test footage.

It's supposed to be concurrent with the JJ Trek world, right?

I still think this thing is going to suffer for being on CBS' service, I mean there's some hard core fans who will pay for it, I'm not sure i'm one of them, so I dunno where on the spectrum that cutoff is

Whatever, eventually they'll try to sell it on Amazon or something if it doesn't pick up steam I figure

Edit: apparently this is directly from McQuarrie's designs he did that weren't used back in the 70s. Looks like the shot is even directly from one of the drawings. Kinda neat, guess we'll see

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5721854/ralph-mcquarries-lost-concept-art-for-a-star-trek-movie-in-1976-1977/

hhhat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 24, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hhhat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

The "Discovery" is getting a chilly reaction, fans seem to be bitchy about the design and/or the VFX. I kinda think it looks whatever, and the render is maybe low quality unless they're just doing some test footage.

It's supposed to be concurrent with the JJ Trek world, right?

I still think this thing is going to suffer for being on CBS' service, I mean there's some hard core fans who will pay for it, I'm not sure i'm one of them, so I dunno where on the spectrum that cutoff is

Whatever, eventually they'll try to sell it on Amazon or something if it doesn't pick up steam I figure

Edit: apparently this is directly from McQuarrie's designs he did that weren't used back in the 70s. Looks like the shot is even directly from one of the drawings. Kinda neat, guess we'll see

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5721854/ralph-mcquarries-lost-concept-art-for-a-star-trek-movie-in-1976-1977/

That looks loving hideous, wow. Also it's gonna be on Netflix in every country but the US and Canada lmao

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think Discovery is supposed to be in the prime universe.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Two things I've been noticing about the discussion:

1 - everyone seems to be talking primarily about the design of the spaceship, and its obvious rehashing of the ST:POTT design, and how those indicate it's going to suck. This I find a little odd because in my opinion Star Trek has always been about storytelling in fantastical/complex/imaginative settings, sometimes with interesting and complex characters, rather than just how the spaceship looks. There's essentially nothing substantive about the show.

and

2 - the reason everyone is talking about this is because that's all the CBS people showed us; they thought an amateurish video of a butt-ugly spaceship would get everyone excited, rather than anything substantive to tell us what the show is going to be like. Apparently they also think that the spaceship is the only thing people care about, which is why I am so baffled that they would show us such a piece of poo poo done in such a half-assed manner.

I think I'm just going to re-watch TNG when this comes out, unless there's a major change in the way it's presented and/or a lot of positive buzz.

Also lol STD

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think the discovery spaceship looks ok but the trailer itself almost seems menacing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nitrousoxide posted:

McCoy was around in TNG for a bit.

I'm sure they had plans to bring the entire TOS crew back at some point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Is this a trailer for a new unit in total annihilation?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GORDON posted:

I know you're just cracking jokes, but I hope you watched the closing credits. It features an appearance by giant green hand!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don't know if a Star Trek show can survive with rushed, mediocre design and crappy special effects

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ds9 was an alien monstrosity built by sky nazis orbiting auchwitz planet and they still made it come off as stately when it was introduced. Makes me wonder if discovery is an ironic name for their new ship to bomb peaceful planets from orbit. To be fair that is the best way to play as the federation in most games.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Speaking of DS9, I'm into season 5, Dax and Work just boinked and have very little chemistry.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I wonder if everyone on Discovery has a goatee

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I wonder if everyone on Discovery has a goatee

An entire season set in the Mirror Universe might be neat actually.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is this a trailer for a new unit in total annihilation?

Man, back in 1998 I used to get SO EXCITED whenever a new unit came out for that game. I think someone did a Star Trek total conversion at one point.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The look and feel of the Beastie Boys scene was so awesome I didn't care how cheesy it was. The Enterprise and crew loving surfing on a cresting tidal wave of exploding alien ships? gently caress yeah.

My only real complaint was how dark a portion of the movie was in the middle. I don't mean dark as in 'depressing and edgy content', i mean 'turn a loving light on'. The whole chase through and over the crashed saucer of the Enterprise would have been really great if I could have just seen it clearly. Well, that and shaky cam for action scenes.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

al-azad posted:

Well Paramount has no pretexts that people will care about the story. The current TV spot is literally the plot twist revealed in the final 10 minutes of the film.

Honestly, I kind of wish the movie hadn't tried to make that a plot twist at all. Or at least foreshadowed it better. I was wondering after the film if maybe some extra expository dialogue when he was talking with Uhura was cut. As is, Krall spent most of the movie seeming like a generic sci-fi evil alien overlord, complete with vague darwinian ideology, then suddenly gets a sorta-characterization like 10 minutes before the end of the film.

That said, I overall liked the film, even if the plot made little sense. Why were they stuck there at all, since their big survival plan involved feeding on alien ship crews that they downed using their drone fleet that was apparently capable of interstellar travel.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've seen that complaint before and honestly Krall wasn't stuck there. By the time he figured out/found the swarmships, he's decided on a track of vengeance. Then he learns about the MacGuffinator and decides that he needs to really strike a big fleet target to being about the instability he's looking for, hence the pirating ships. Plus, he figures that having the Federation do all the work to find his PlotThing is better than going out and doing it himself. He's effectively immortal as long as enough goobers investigate the nebula, so it's a waiting game.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Apollodorus posted:

Man, back in 1998 I used to get SO EXCITED whenever a new unit came out for that game. I think someone did a Star Trek total conversion at one point.

I made that joke then watched the original opening and it starts with the exact same pan down on an asteroid as the STD trailer and I have no idea how my brain made that connection to something that long ago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

An entire season set in the Mirror Universe might be neat actually.

Wasn't this one of the things they were considering for a future Enterprise season before it got canceled?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't this one of the things they were considering for a future Enterprise season before it got canceled?

No idea!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chairman Capone posted:

No, it was a thing enterprise DID do with a two parter that gave us the best thing the show ever did: refilm evil opening credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

MorgaineDax posted:

Also was Shohreh Aghdashloo's character supposed to be related to Tom Paris and Admiral Paris?

Can you imagine if Spock forgot his wallet that day? Maybe he did and had to mind meld with a Polaroid to get the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

An entire season series set in the Mirror Universe might be neat actually.

• Locked thread