Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
For some reason, turning on both Fencer Flame Revolver D's make me shoot in the sky and it is impossible to aim down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

They seem pretty decent in tunnels. Better than limpets anyway.

Do you have any Limpet Splendors? They're fantastic in tunnels because their shrapnel bounces off solid walls and pierces through enemies.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

For some reason, turning on both Fencer Flame Revolver D's make me shoot in the sky and it is impossible to aim down.

Working as intended. Don't try to fire two flame revolvers at once and use a controller or turn your mouse sensitivity all the way up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fencer sure seems like a cool class and I intend to learn it but for now I'm having a ton of fun as a flying neon waifu.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, it is strange. I started off heavy into fencer, moved into wing diver, and now I mostly find myself enjoying ranger. His weapons are better than they appear at first glance, and he has reasonably good sustained damage. The ability to use your movement skill while reloading is handy. I do wish his shotguns reloaded more quickly, but apart from that, I like him. I do feel like he is a little less interesting prior to level 13 gear or so. Lysander is a nice sniper rifle for 13, and getting the goliath rocket launcher at 17 feels big.

Once we start talking 45+ weapons, I enjoy the five card XB and goliath z.

Air raider is one that hasn't quite clicked with me yet. I like the idea of him, but I haven't been able to make him work for me yet. His vehicles are cool, but often feel a little clunky. Was just in the mission trying to kill the walker (69?), but the railgun can't angle itself up to shoot into the hole very easily. The limpet gun isn't exactly anything to write home about either. I do like some of his call-in strikes quite a bit though.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 24, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Having flailed about played the game for a bit,the only thing I'd want modded into the game is that whenever I get into the giant robit, it plays Pacific Rim music.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

Air raider is one that hasn't quite clicked with me yet. I like the idea of him, but I haven't been able to make him work for me yet. His vehicles are cool, but often feel a little clunky. Was just in the mission trying to kill the walker (69?), but the railgun can't angle itself up to shoot into the hole very easily. The limpet gun isn't exactly anything to write home about either. I do like some of his call-in strikes quite a bit though.

The regular Gigantes tanks get pretty easy to use starting around level 25. They can aim higher than the rail guns, go way faster and their turret traversal gets really fast.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VolticSurge posted:

Having flailed about played the game for a bit,the only thing I'd want modded into the game is that whenever I get into the Vegalta, it plays Pacific Rim music.

Wait until you see the Balam.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would like Big O music to play when using the Balam.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Really Pants posted:

Wait until you see the Balam.

I think I am in love. :swoon:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I would like Big O music to play when using the Balam.

Show time!

It definitely adds up.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This game continually surprises me with how over the top stupid it can get. Punching Godzilla in the head was a highlight though.

Then you had the godzilla head punching clusterfuck mission to follow it because why not.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Having a graphics issue, this happens whenever there's an explosion. Which is all the time, therefore making the game unplayable. Anyone have any idea how to fix it? :(

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The string guns are basically your version of the retarius webs. You shoot them out, they stick to enemies and physics objects, and do damage over time. It's pretty anemic, though, my best use of them was on levels with drones, or better yet bees. The webs follow you so as you run around you have a better chance of doing damage to flying enemies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's an okay mission to farm armor?
Not really looking forward to doing every mission on every difficulty with every class (BECAUSE I loving WILL)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Any mission with a stationary transport that drops black ants.

Or just use Cheatengine.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Inzombiac posted:

Not really looking forward to doing every mission on every difficulty with every class (BECAUSE I loving WILL)
Use Cheat Engine.

A fanmade patch came out that addresses the DPI scaling bug. It worked for me.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/410320/discussions/0/359543951725477983/

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Scalding Coffee posted:

For Fencers, unless I am mistaken there is a recoil multiplier that is activated specifically if you dual-wield the same weapon. I think it can be addressed simply by going chaingun/shotgun or something like that and just avoiding duel wielding the exact same type of ranged weapon.

Inzombiac posted:

Once DLC pack 1 hits, I would recommend that anyone not wanting to use Cheat Engine just do the mission Golden Darkness over and over again, since you fight silver spiders in cavernous hallways that drop 3 boxes per kill, meaning it is pretty good for farming both armor and advanced weapons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where can I get my fixed bayonet?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Lone Badger posted:

Where can I get my fixed bayonet?

Laser chainsaw.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Leaving aside the picture the mental image of five dicks ejaculating into a potato salad is not a pleasant one.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Leaving aside the picture the mental image of five dicks ejaculating into a potato salad is not a pleasant one.

You don't get invited to many of that kind of party these days?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Brute Force was a hell of a thing :stare:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's a decent bread & butter weapon for the wing diver? I've been using a laser lance for stuff that needs to die and the Idunn-E for general chaos, but the latter is a little energy-hungry.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Omi no Kami posted:

What's a decent bread & butter weapon for the wing diver? I've been using a laser lance for stuff that needs to die and the Idunn-E for general chaos, but the latter is a little energy-hungry.

Laser chainsaw.

I will answer everything that I can potentially answer with 'laser chainsaw' with 'laser chainsaw'.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Laser chainsaw.

I will answer everything that I can potentially answer with 'laser chainsaw' with 'laser chainsaw'.
The laser chainsaw is so thrifty on energy that there's no reason to carry two of them though I think.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Laser chainsaw.

I absolutely love those two words together. I haven't found one yet, but I have something called a Cyclone Laser which looks like a chainsaw, and shoots a shitton of lasers... is that the thing?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I-dunns are pretty good, same for thunder bows. I'm a big fan of thrust-style rapiers though. Usually I use one of those three and then something from the sniping column.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I think I spoiled myself by starting with the ranger, honestly: the flame cannon is boring, but holy poo poo everything is fire bwahahaha. So that's the basis by which I tend to judge all other weapons now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Talkc posted:

Pro Tip: Play Hard immediately. Ive been languishing in normal and its just not worth it. Everything is cooler on hard.

Being an air raider gets amazing on hard.

on one hand, playing on hard immediately practically guarantees that you will hit a stone wall due to lack of armor sometime in the 20s as far as missions go.

on the other: 'WHALE TO GROUND UNITS. WE ARE WITH YOU. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!'
like seriously any difficulty that makes it not ideal for the air raiders to use Whale's combat support is a bad difficulty. Whale's pilot takes his job of supporting the ground units extremely seriously and he is great to listen to. Normal gives you this kinda gimpy 105mm machine gun sort of thing, whereas Hard gives you the 150mm Finger of God Himself crushing the GIANT IN-SECTS, which then almost immediately reloads and is ready for another smite from the heavens.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 25, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hey Samurai Sanders I'm not sure if you ever got your answer on region locks but chat on the steam forums seem to indicate your servers list is locked to whatever your steam download region is set to. So supposedly you can just switch to another download region and get a different set of games.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mission 7 is kicking my rear end. Is the dialogue an unsubtle hint that I need to be an Air Raider this mission?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Mission 7 is kicking my rear end. Is the dialogue an unsubtle hint that I need to be an Air Raider this mission?

Need? Not at all. It's sorta maybe almost an air raider tutorial but you can do it with any class. Try keeping back keeping at max range with your favorite rapid fire weapon.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

No, Mission 7 is a straight up bug hunt for spiders. If you're having problems then it's a hint you don't really have the hang of killing spiders with your current class yet.

What class are you playing, and what difficulty are you playing on?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tried it Ranger and Fencer, Hard difficulty (since I've been blowing through the previous missions on Hard).
I hang back killing spiders, the other EDF troops all die, then I get swarmed by spiders and die to webstrands. I lived longer as a Ranger because the dodgeroll helped me get out of the way, though I killed faster as a Fencer.
(As a Ranger I brought a shotgun and a autofire grenadelauncher, as a Fencer I brought a hammer/javelin for moving and an upgraded gatling / heavy mortar for killing)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Light Gun Man posted:

Hey Samurai Sanders I'm not sure if you ever got your answer on region locks but chat on the steam forums seem to indicate your servers list is locked to whatever your steam download region is set to. So supposedly you can just switch to another download region and get a different set of games.
That makes my brain hurt from how dumb it is but at least I can change the region of the game this time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

Tried it Ranger and Fencer, Hard difficulty (since I've been blowing through the previous missions on Hard).
I hang back killing spiders, the other EDF troops all die, then I get swarmed by spiders and die to webstrands. I lived longer as a Ranger because the dodgeroll helped me get out of the way, though I killed faster as a Fencer.
(As a Ranger I brought a shotgun and a autofire grenadelauncher, as a Fencer I brought a hammer/javelin for moving and an upgraded gatling / heavy mortar for killing)
I can't think of a time they have ever given me the support they are talkin about in mission 7, when I'm playing Ranger or something.

On Ranger's front, stick with your NPC buddies but also just keep constantly firing your grenades at the city scape between you and the red radar dots even after the first wave is cleared. Also while I doubt you were, don't be afraid of bombing the civilians! You can't hurt them yourself, so they will remain living decoys even as you blow up the ants near them.

No buildings in the way, means seeing the spiders coming sooner and hitting THEM with explosives instead sooner :pseudo: Clearcutting skyscrapers has become an important cornerstone of the EDF, with a couple exceptions if you want them in the way of certain enemies more so.

That said, spiders shotgunning webs all over your face are your first difficulty spike compared to black ants. When I was early on playing on Hard with low health I'd often get complacent with low damage grazes and then suddenly WHAM oh there went 200 health all at once welp.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

As a ranger, you want a good shotgun, so you were on the right track there. The Buffalo G3 is ideal if you have it. Use the larger buildings as cover, the orb-spinner spiders aren't like Retardius in that attacking through walls is actually difficult for them. The Ranger will definitely have a very hard time if you lose your allies, though, so don't be afraid to bring a high cycle reverser to keep them up.

As a fencer, you want a blasthole spear and a hand cannon. The blasthole spear will allow you to dash, the hand cannon will allow you to dash cancel and keep your fire up. The Hard version of the Hand Cannon does 500 damage, which is enough to one shot spiders. Keep your distance by dash canceling and you can kill approximately infinity spiders with no support whatsoever. If someone gets too close, dash, and use the blasthole spear to discourage pursuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do you dash-cancel with the hand cannon? I thought you needed a shield (block) or javelin (fire).