Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
So I tried out new McCree for the first time because I am the worst hitscan player on Earth.

I got a Quadra with his ult and now feel I can safely retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
Is solo queuing competitive the way to go or are there some ranked goon crews available to scrim with to learn from? Trying to get better but need guidance on how to improve.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EMC posted:

Played against maybe the worst Solider today, on Ilios and he spent all three rounds camping about 30 metres off the point, refusing to go on it at all and just attempting to pick off flankers. Even his own team were having a go at him, he was level 277. I wish you could see the final stat screen for every player in a game during during map switch over, if his objective time was more than 0:00 I would have been shocked

Had a match yesterday with one of those.

It was basically 2.5 vs 2.5 on defense. Me on Lucio, and a Mercy vs a Bastion and a Tobjorn. The .5 was they had a really bad reaper who would come over and flank us, but usually I just shot him a couple times, then he'd go into ghost mode, then I'd shoot him a couple times and he'd run away. The other was a D.va that would enter the point only if we (or, me, on Lucio being healed by Mercy) removed the Bastion and turret. They set up the exact same place every time, and the Tobjorn only shot when he was on ult, though, so it was fairly easy to remove them (I thought about switching to a more offensive character but the double healing seemed to be outpacing the damage they were laying on me). Unfortunately the "basically" and the reason why we ultimately lost was that the other team would come back while we were capping and drop all the ultimates on us that the other combat was feeding them, and the rest of our team never showed up.

Neither of the 2.5 on either side got cards at the end, either.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

EMC posted:

Played against maybe the worst Solider today, on Ilios and he spent all three rounds camping about 30 metres off the point, refusing to go on it at all and just attempting to pick off flankers. Even his own team were having a go at him, he was level 277. I wish you could see the final stat screen for every player in a game during during map switch over, if his objective time was more than 0:00 I would have been shocked

Please nobody play Soldier this way, thanks.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

ellic posted:

Is solo queuing competitive the way to go or are there some ranked goon crews available to scrim with to learn from? Trying to get better but need guidance on how to improve.

Join the discord

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Let's play the hammer game.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

ellic posted:

Discord goons are scared of comp for some reason.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

neonbregna posted:

Discord goons are scared of comp for some reason.

Because when you stack in comp you get put against other stacks. And goon's aren't good enough to face real stacks.

90% of my comp losses came from when I was in goon groups.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Because when you stack in comp you get put against other stacks. And goon's aren't good enough to face real stacks.

Yeah you're gonna mostly be competing against groups that actually have played together before and already know established roles etc

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pumpy Dumper posted:

You have to coordinate and talk and poo poo, I feel it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's actually the problem with pretty much any goon group in a game that has matchmaking.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
QP with discord goons

ranked with your homies

vvv alt+f4 for new 3rd person view squaaaawk

mcvey fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 25, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Internet Explorer posted:

That's actually the problem with pretty much any goon group in a game that has matchmaking.

I still remember the good old days of Mechwarrior and stomping pub teams

SQQQQUUUAAAAAWWWWWKKKKKKKKKKKK

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Buffing McCree was a huge mistake.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Brannock posted:

Buffing McCree was a huge mistake.

Killing FtH and putting everything onto his left click was a huge mistake

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
He's just not a good design for the game.

I think you might be able to salvage him if you cut his firing speed by like a quarter or a third. He'd have powerful long-range hitscans, but slow at firing them, and at close range he can fire very quickly with Fan the Hammer. This would put him in a healthier position relative to Pharah and Soldier rather than completely overtaking and obsoleting them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ran into a 76 who on point A in Anubis just got on on the perch to the back upper right (if you're attacking) and shot down at us for the whole defense. BUt we all knew he was there and while he was doing damage, not faster than Mercy could heal, therefore he wasn't eliminating us, and couldn't hit us if we were on or below the wall, and all our defenses were below his line of fire, so we just kind of collectively decided to ignore him, just firing some shots his way if he got bold and towards the front of the ledge, but otherwise let him chill up there and focused fire on front attacks. He was up there for what felt like almost the whole match. At the end I threw my mech up and exploded him, it was very satisfying.

He got 4 medals at the end so I guess good for him but it made defense a lot easier with him up there just being a minor nuance.

The thing is this is was the 2 | 2 match, they absolutely smoked us on the first attack, I was expecting the same to happen again, but he really opened the door for us.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

I think you might be able to salvage him if you cut his firing speed by like a quarter or a third. He'd have powerful long-range hitscans, but slow at firing them, and at close range he can fire very quickly with Fan the Hammer. This would put him in a healthier position relative to Pharah and Soldier rather than completely overtaking and obsoleting them.

Well the other issue with McCree at the moment is whether FtH is actually worth using because currently even up close left-clicking is probably better, so if you make McCree's left click worse then I have a feeling he probably winds up sauntering vaguely downward into the Hanzo category of "why do I want to pick this guy again" (not as bad as Hanzo because hitscan, but still). I'm pretty sure he'll get yet another pass on the next patch but they really need to figure out what they want to do with him. Close-range anti-flanker? Midrange sharpshooter? "He's just there" is a bad way for a hero to be (again, see Hanzo). Blizzard is entitled to change their minds as to what a character is "supposed" to be but they ought to pick a direction and stick with it.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Brannock posted:

This sort of design style never works. Blizzard needs to balance in a more agile fashion. Small changes, applied often, in PTR. Most changes from last patch felt huge, and you can see it in the fact that most of the buffed heroes are getting played a lot now. Take off 10% of his firing speed. If he's still dominant, drop it another 10%. Do that until he's at a good place. Small buffs can be extremely meaningful.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can anyone recommend any pro-level streams or clips of people utilizing Winston or Mei? It doesn't have to be in competition, I'd just to like to see if great players can be really effective with those two.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Kai Tave posted:

Well the other issue with McCree at the moment is whether FtH is actually worth using because currently even up close left-clicking is probably better, so if you make McCree's left click worse then I have a feeling he probably winds up sauntering vaguely downward into the Hanzo category of "why do I want to pick this guy again" (not as bad as Hanzo because hitscan, but still). I'm pretty sure he'll get yet another pass on the next patch but they really need to figure out what they want to do with him. Close-range anti-flanker? Midrange sharpshooter? "He's just there" is a bad way for a hero to be (again, see Hanzo). Blizzard is entitled to change their minds as to what a character is "supposed" to be but they ought to pick a direction and stick with it.

He has a stun, so he'll never be Hanzo tier. :v:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Can anyone recommend any pro-level streams or clips of people utilizing Winston or Mei? It doesn't have to be in competition, I'd just to like to see if great players can be really effective with those two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCT88DTCTMPBWr56VzTx19mQ

That youtube has replays for a bunch of pros. One of them is Debett, the tank for C9. There's one or two Winston games of his on there.

Mei is probably going to be harder to find.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Roadhog owns.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Brannock posted:

Mccree right now is really binary. His kit is a little all over the place, between a hitscan revolver with a range to rival S76, a stun, FTH for if anyone gets close, and combat roll in case he needs another shot or two to finish anyone off. You can't buff any of his poo poo without him getting out of control, and you can't nerf anything he has or he becomes worthless. He's probably the character most in need of a complete rework right now.

His ult is fine, though, and ana boosting mccree so he can powerwalk ult is the funniest thing.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

pretty fuckin' good

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Make McCree the first VR-exclusive hero. Now fanning the hammer actually requires you to fan the hammer and combat rolling requires you to destroy your living room

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Make McCree the first VR-exclusive hero. Now fanning the hammer actually requires you to fan the hammer and combat rolling requires you to destroy your living room

i am so down for this

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

FYI Talespin is playing Mei on King's Row right now in the finals of a qualifier:

https://www.twitch.tv/overwatchopen

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Combo posted:

FYI Talespin is playing Mei on King's Row right now in the finals of a qualifier:

https://www.twitch.tv/overwatchopen

She's soooo much better now that you can have her ult up every 20 seconds

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DrPlump posted:

Reinhardt is in love with Pharah.

No he doesnt, does he? And even so why does Pharah apologuze to Reinhard for killing Pharah? Shouldnt Ana say that, or 76? Do any other heroes have voice lines for killing an enemy version of themselves?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Papercut posted:

She's soooo much better now that you can have her ult up every 20 seconds

Actually it's because she's D.Va's hardest counter, who is now far and beyond the best tank in the game in basically every map and it's not even close.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I feel like it's okay for McCree to do a little more damage than Soldier, who can move faster and can heal both himself and teammates.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Jastiger posted:

No he doesnt, does he? And even so why does Pharah apologuze to Reinhard for killing Pharah? Shouldnt Ana say that, or 76? Do any other heroes have voice lines for killing an enemy version of themselves?

I'm almost certain it's a bug. Probably meant to trigger when killing a Rein. I don't think any other voice clip goes off 100% of the time.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Actually it's because she's D.Va's hardest counter, who is now far and beyond the best tank in the game in basically every map and it's not even close.

D.Va feels a little too good after her re-balance. She can both tank and flank too well. I think they need to slightly nerf either her boosters or defense matrix depending on what role the devs want her to play.

Personally, I'd also like to see the countdown on her ult to go back to the old one and leave her with just the immunity to her own ult.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Main Paineframe posted:

I feel like it's okay for McCree to do a little more damage than Soldier, who can move faster and can heal both himself and teammates.

The hosed up thing is that Soldier is still amazing and still the most solid single hero in the game, but they changed his burst fire pattern ever so slightly so he's now irredeemable trash who is relegated to the dustbin of history.

Learning to fire in tight bursts and not hold down the trigger like an idiot is hard.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Has anyone else run into a bug where after minimising the game you lose the entire HUD? Its happened twice to me now, and both times if I try to change characters I'm unable to make a selection and need to close down the entire game.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
McCree is my favorite b/c he's a cool cowboy and my heart can't take these nerf/buff cycles. First he was too good at killing people without aim, now he's too good at killing people with aim, when does this roller coaster stop?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

The thing about McCree is that he has the most drawbacks of any offensive character in the game, which is balanced out by his raw killing power. You take away that raw killing power and you get 1.05 McCree, which was worthless.

Of course that spot was taken by Hanzo pretty quickly...

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Of course that spot was taken by Hanzo pretty quickly...

Good. I hope the next patch gives him a 1/10 chance to accidentally shot himself in the foot. Every time he fires.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Main Paineframe posted:

No, it's not, and the reason is Flashbang. Stuns are a huge deal. McCree was already regularly seeing play prior to this patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Corbeau posted:

No, it's not, and the reason is Flashbang. Stuns are a huge deal. McCree was already regularly seeing play prior to this patch.

You do realize that the damage McCree can do now from distance was always possible at Flashbang ranges, right?