Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

sublime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Chiang's Gourmet by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Did an after-hours photo walk at a local cave attraction (Howe Caverns) Are cave photos landscapes?

DSC_0069 by Joe Pitha, on Flickr

DSC_0129 by Joe Pitha, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see rocks, checks out.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

But did you see any trees?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
No RVs in sight but has red neon so that's a pass.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Automotive Instincts by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr
I guess this place used to be a gas station but now it's apparently somewhere you can park your car while you buy incredibly expensive vintage art deco homeware.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Came across this really odd bridge in West Virginia. All I had was an XE-1/27mm on me, but still cool. It was the best part of my day. The wench made me go to a Heart/Joan Jett concert. Old lady mullets everywhere!

Light up the bridge by Eli J, on Flickr

Train Tracks by Eli J, on Flickr

And a bathroom shot of the place we ate called Later Alligator. They had really good fish tacos if anyone happens to be in Wheeling, WV.

Later Alligator Bathroom by Eli J, on Flickr

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

_DSC6163.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

_DSC6398.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

_DSC6362.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

_DSC6326.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

_DSC6305.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Woolooware by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

GREY2836
by Jim, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Duomo di Milano by alkanphel, on Flickr

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Nice perspective.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I live about 100 metres from the cathedral tower and I finally got around to going up it last weekend

Panoramic pictures with my Horizon.

Horizon-Kosice-8.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

You can see my apartment on the main street, close to the left edge of this photo.

Horizon-Kosice-9.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Downtime at the falconry display
Kiev 88

MedFormat-Kosice-4.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got a new camera and lens finally, just getting familiar with it... This is a pretty generic landscape, but I think the birdsplosion adds some interest.

Swallow explosion by King Dugga, on Flickr

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Really enjoying just riding at night, stoned, and taking pictures of pretty lights:

Bowling Alley by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 24, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

GREY2899
by Jim, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I enjoyed these two.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wish there was more visible texture on the largest band.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Urban exploration

untitled-32.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-54.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-34.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-45.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Maybe going out just with the 85mm wasn't such a good idea.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 25, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

"Get out of here, STALKER."

E: I'm a poo poo. Here.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 25, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Night time wander around the neighborhood.

trash tableau by King Dugga, on Flickr

Tridel Shipyards by King Dugga, on Flickr

FANDN by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1010117 by King Dugga, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Kurnell by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Perfect. Your Mamiya's sacrifice was not in vain.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Untitled by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

rohan posted:

Perfect. Your Mamiya's sacrifice was not in vain.

Although I almost dropped it into the sand here, sadly this was not the shot that led to death-by-sand.

(Although the near death experience here should have been warning to be more careful...)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Why keep this one? Is it the overexposure? Is it the non-existence of a subject in the photo? Or is it the bad scan?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

bobmarleysghost posted:

Why keep this one? Is it the overexposure? Is it the non-existence of a subject in the photo? Or is it the bad scan?

I liked it :(

Edit: I'll go kill myself. Kthx.

Edit2: While I do personally like it, I posted it to get comments like this and hopefully become a better photographer someday. I wish I could be super awesome right off the bat.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 25, 2016

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm not trying to be harsh.

You need to do a few things:
- get better at scanning;
- get better at exposing a photo (albeit that photo looks overexposed because of the bad scan, hard to tell);
- subject is not clear, you took a photo of the side of a building, not very interesting. You may see people here "take a photo of a building" but their execution is done right, the photos are interesting.
- read more photobooks, follow people on tumblr (or whatever site) that you want to emulate or get inspired by.

PS. what did you like about that photo?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't know what I'm doing :ssh:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut posted:

I liked it :(

Edit: I'll go kill myself. Kthx.

Edit2: While I do personally like it, I posted it to get comments like this and hopefully become a better photographer someday. I wish I could be super awesome right off the bat.

Legitimate critique: you need to get better at self-selecting. Each time you're thinking of presenting a photo to others, seriously take a look at it and ask yourself if it's good. If it isn't up to the standard you've hopefully set for yourself, what lessons can you take from the image to make a better one next time?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'm not trying to be harsh.

You need to do a few things:
- get better at scanning;
- get better at exposing a photo (albeit that photo looks overexposed because of the bad scan, hard to tell);
- subject is not clear, you took a photo of the side of a building, not very interesting. You may see people here "take a photo of a building" but their execution is done right, the photos are interesting.
- read more photobooks, follow people on tumblr (or whatever site) that you want to emulate or get inspired by.

PS. what did you like about that photo?

I didn't think you were being harsh at all. It was good criticism unlike some. I won't kill muhself tuhday.

This scan was from the darkroom and low rez, but I just got a v500 on the cheap and am getting the workflow down with help from folks over in the film thread. I'm really new to film so it definitely could be over exposed and not the scan.

I thought it looked cool the way the angles of the side of the building led up to the face of the door. Like the door led back through a long hallway or something, probably dumb. I don't fire random shots off at a buildings, although I could see how it looks that way. It looked interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Choicecut posted:

I didn't think you were being harsh at all. It was good criticism unlike some. I won't kill muhself tuhday.

This scan was from the darkroom and low rez, but I just got a v500 on the cheap and am getting the workflow down with help from folks over in the film thread. I'm really new to film so it definitely could be over exposed and not the scan.

I thought it looked cool the way the angles of the side of the building led up to the face of the door. Like the door led back through a long hallway or something, probably dumb. I don't fire random shots off at a buildings, although I could see how it looks that way. It looked interesting to me.

I'm enjoying the triangles you've got going on on the right hand side of the frame. Also "enjoying triangles" isn't something I ever expected to type.