Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Y'all gotta stop hating on ground beef because it can get pretty dang tasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Loose Beef got hella depression and needs special lamps to be in society

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

You're right I have a serious beef with you - as in the pound of unworked ground beef you were eating when you banned me for suggesting you make it into a pasta sauce or tacos or something, anything, instead of just eating loose beef like the giant manchild you are. Also vegetables, I suggested you eat vegetables with it, again trying to coax you out of being a manchild.

Are you actually having a loving meltdown over the idea that somebody might eat mince on its own? Goddamn, I've seen it all now.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
GURPS Fantasy 2: The Madlands is the best setting of all time, it is however, nearly unplayable.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Babylon Astronaut posted:

GURPS Fantasy 2: The Madlands is the best setting of all time, it is, however, unplayable.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

GURPS Fantasy 2: The Madlands is the best setting of all time, it is however, nearly unplayable.

Yes! But it should be playable.

Maybe we can get an Actual Play podcast to try it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Madlands is best dropped into the other end if a cursed portal or washed up onto the shores of a more traditional fantasy party.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't get it. What makes it unplayable?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Everything in the world is insane and powerful beyond imagination and you're an early bronze age hunter or fisher. Like the characters from winnie the pooh can stomp your village into dirt and make everyone into a skinless zombie, or maybe a wizard on holiday will nuke you for sport while on a drug bender. Almost every interaction with the things that make the setting end in madness, death, or both. The only pursuit you're capable of tackling, outside of subsistence, is I don't know, learning magic from talking seals and then being shunned by society or raiding the Inuits, which accomplishes nothing. All of this sounds fun as hell, but if you invested any time or effort into your character, you will be sorely disappointed when you become a giant foot with eyeballs or kidnapped by a feudal knight.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 25, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Like the characters from winnie the pooh can stomp your village into dirt and make everyone into a skinless zombie, or maybe a wizard on holiday will nuke you for sport while on a drug bender.

I want to note this sentence is in no way an exaggeration. Nor is it the weirdest poo poo in the setting. It is a Monday in the Madlands.

Also there are Iron Age (?) slavers out of one of the more evil societies of Conan that call everyone pigdogs.

Honestly based on the power differential Call of Cthulhu may not be a bad system.

Or Rogue Trader's Insanity/Corruption mechanics.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Serenade posted:

Same but opposite.

Imagine if you would, a world covered by endless cities. The plot can focus around pacts and dissension of political bodies, guilds perhaps.

the ponts of light concept is just the idea of being surrounded by danger in small bits of safety so a city setting where most of the city is dangerous and maybe you have a few guildhalls (or you can take over enemy guilds) spread out throughout the city would be perfectly fine in concept.

but nentir-vale, is great because there's barely a map (because you ignore the terrible modules) just a base cosmology a little bit of history (with few names and even fewer dates to memorize) and it lets you fill in the map with whatever you want.

But seriously if i ever see a detailed timeline in a game setting i'm pretty much out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You could even do Points of Light in an urban setting, where whole city blocks are dangerous warrens of lawlessness amid the small islands of ... suburban tranquility? Now I'm not too sure where I'm going with this.

Elfgames posted:

But seriously if i ever see a detailed timeline in a game setting i'm pretty much out

Something I like to do when reading through a timeline is to pick out an event in the middle of it, and form a scenario based around that, rather than having to read all the way to the end and make something out of the "real-time"/Day-0 world situation.

quote:

That ended in 120 AL. The Witch Queen Agrahti led a powerful western lowland tribe, the force of her magic compelling obedience from the quarreling Shou chieftains. Rather than spend her warriors uselessly against her neighbors, she commanded the broken fragments of the mountain tribes to join her banner and make war upon the hated humans. The remnants despised each other, but they feared Agrahti more. They joined, and together they swept down on the east like a storm.

The exiles had grown complacent with almost a hundred years of peace. Their great sorcerers and high priests were almost all long dead, and the wizards remaining to them had only a fraction of the strength of old. Their heroes were only names, their legions ill-equipped and practiced only in hunting raiding bands. The Shou horde smashed the Westmark and roared east into the Xianese heartland.

Land that had been settled and secure for generations was transformed overnight into a wasteland of ruins and char. In the north, the pikemen of Hohnberg formed a wall of steel around their homes and drove back the undisciplined Shou- but only for a time. There were ten mountain Shou for every pikeman, and men died because they were too weary to lift their weapons in defense. The horde drew back from Hohnberg eventually, but only because there were other, easier places to take first.

In the south, Tien Lung’s sorcerers conjured forbidden powers and wielded magics they had secretly developed in their dark Academy. Thousands of wretched commoners died on Tien Lung’s raised stone summoning circles to fuel the magic necessary to repel the Shou, but the savages were in the end driven back. Scholar say that though the walls of Tien Lung were never breached, only one in three citizens still lived by the time the defense was complete. The need to enlist laborers to work in the cursed city thereafter led to the practices of slavery now so common to that blighted place.

In the northeast, Archmage Rai of Kitaminato was among the last of the great arcanists of the Empire, clinging to life through alchemical means and sinister research. When the horde crashed on Kitaminato’s walls, it seemed certain that the Kueh would be butchered in their homes and their gilded culture lost forever in the bellies of ravening Shou. Rai did not have the power to save them, but he could strike bargains with those who could. That night, in a terrible ritual worked with all the great families of the city, the arcanist made a pact with the Hell Kings. A legion of demons erupted from the earth about Kitaminato and ravaged the Shou army until it was forced to turn back. The price that the Hell Kings charged was predictable. There are no gods in Kitaminato now save the fanged idols of the city’s masters, and the undying Shogun Rai sends sacrifices to his infernal lords to ensure their favorable regard for his people.

But it was in the east that the Witch Queen and her horde drove deepest, the great mass of Shou hammering against Xian and the terrified refugees huddled within the city. The army was scattered in the west, struggling to contain the bone picker tribes of Shou that flowed into the void the horde had made and unable to join up with the defenders of Xian. The dwarves were barricaded within the Altgrimmr peaks, too hard-pressed to break out and cut through the sea of Shou that surrounded the human capital. City wizards even went so far as to call up legions of the city’s dead to march against the Shou, but there were just too many of them and the wizards were dying from the strain of their black sorceries.

It was then that a ragged band of tomb-robbers, ruin-plunderers, and renegade arcanists accomplished what all the serried ranks of Xianese defenders could not. Sages cannot agree who exactly numbered among this band; a dozen different names are commonly given and commonly disputed. All agree that they alone were able to infiltrate the Shou camp, cut their way through the Witch Queen’s guards, and slay the sorceress at the very heart of the horde. None survived their act of heroism, but with the Witch Queen dead the horde swiftly collapsed into a welter of blood and ancient quarrels.

That's about a half-page of history from the Red Tide setting supplement, but you could play it out as an entire campaign where you are the ragged band of tomb-robbers, plunderers and renegades that's trying to stop the Witch Queen, and the sequence of events described lays out the broad strokes of your campaign:

The discovery of the impending Shou invasion
Heading off the first wave at Hohnberg
Working with (or against?) the sorcerers of Tien Lung
Delaying the Shou for long enough for Archmage Rai of Kitaminato to complete his ritual. Or maybe your group changes history and devises some way to save the city without sacrificing it to demons
The final desperate strike against the heart of the horde to assassinate the Witch Queen directly

Over the weekend I was reading the Esoterror Factbook and came across a profile entry for an NPC. The book describes the person as having worked for Ordo Veritatis before, then went into politics, then become part of the opposition party after a conservative wave election, found it boring, lapsed into severe PTSD, and ended up being turned by an Outer Dark entity that blackmailed him into disclosing OV secrets.

The intent behind such profiles is, of course, for the GM to include him in the game after all that's already happened: he has some bureaucratic weight to throw around, but he's actually corrupted, maybe he's a mid-level bad guy, something like that, but you could also craft a scenario set at the time when he's just about to fall into the wrong crowd:

Washington has discovered a fishy paper trail leading back to this Representative's expenses and sends out a Working Group to investigate. You have to trail him, find out what he's hiding, discover the real depths of his PTSD and depression, intercept his attempt to leak confidential information, and trace the Opposition that's been manipulating him. And much like the Red Tide excerpt I posted above, the NPC profile already tells you the sequence of events that's about to happen.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zurui posted:

Maybe an evil mage could go back in time and change history in order to enact vengeance for how Elminster didn't save his homeland from a magical disaster?

More likely they just kill off a Mystra again for the next edition change.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Does anyone have any experience playing HârnMaster?
Quite the unfortunate name because Harn is the German for urine and all I can think of now is the Whizzard comic.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, the main issue with Mad Lands is that the main goal is just to maintain the status quo and purge any instance of the supernatural. And while that can work in other games where you have the tools for it, the only real solution in Mad Lands is to kill or cast out anybody attracting the supernatural and avoid adventure at all costs. I think it would make for a neat series pitch for another Laws game, though- Dramasystem.

As for fantasy, one of my pet peeves is with fantasy videogames is where they start with some historical infodump before I have the slightest care. Interest me in the characters or situation first, then later you can slip in details about the Three Fallen Kinglords of Snorevania and their battle with the Demon Snoozeonicus if it's important. Same goes for fantasy RPGS. Tell me what's interesting about your setting now, and throw in the minutae later once I'm interested.

Also, don't name your thing after the name of your fantasy world, it doesn't mean anything to me and I have no reason to care. :ssh:

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Quite the unfortunate name because Harn is the German for urine and all I can think of now is the Whizzard comic.

Great there goes any chance of taking this game 100% seriously. Right when i'm getting my game face on I will think about that comic! :classiclol:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There are ways to play with the Madlands, but most of them involve interpersonal or inter-community conflicts within deeply-superstitious hunter-gatherer communities, and that could really used a more personalized system than GURPS to drive the drama

e- also yes, the mad land gods are Winnie the Pooh analogs, nothing is quite as terrifying as Gopher

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 25, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zurui posted:

Maybe an evil mage could go back in time and change history in order to enact vengeance for how Elminster didn't save his homeland from a magical disaster?

Movie 2 ends with Cadderly screaming while beating Artemis Entreri to death atop a flying ship.

I kind of feel like a D&D movie would only work if it was made like the good Marvel movies and was just some other type of movie genre with super heroes in it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Heh. Puny god.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The D&D movie should be an Ocean's 11 style heist that takes place in Eberron.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Elfgames posted:

I quite like Tenra Bansho Zero's take on this, where there's a big four page timeline that sketches out a whole load of events without really going into much detail. There's then a sidebar going "we don't actually know what any of this means more than you do - this is just a big list of ideas to write scenarios around. You can set a game anywhere on this timeline about any of these events that strike your fancy. Carry on"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nuns with Guns posted:

There are ways to play with the Madlands, but most of them involve interpersonal or inter-community conflicts within deeply-superstitious hunter-gatherer communities, and that could really used a more personalized system than GURPS to drive the drama

Yeah, that's why I brought up Dramasystem, since you could have the game be more about intratribal conflicts and power struggles with occasionally having to find out who the secret wizard is that needs stabbing.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

A D&D movie would probably show martials as being in any way on the same level as spellcasters, misrepresenting the product in the same way that it misrepresents itself.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Evil Mastermind posted:

The D&D movie should be an Ocean's 11 style heist that takes place in Eberron.

I would jump at a decent Eberron heist movie.

Failing that, an Eberron Blades in the Dark hack.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Slimnoid posted:

I just started playing Shadow of Mordor and you nerds are talking about Tolkien and now I kind of want to play/run The One Ring at some point in the near future.

So I finished Shadow of Mordor and the ending sucked immense amounts of rear end. Honestly the last fourth or fifth of the game was pretty bad in terms of story and pacing, but the final boss and the ending cutscene put a damper on my enjoyment of the game.

A loving sequel bait. Ugh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Scyther posted:

A D&D movie would probably show martials as being in any way on the same level as spellcasters, misrepresenting the product in the same way that it misrepresents itself.
Neverwinter Online has just come out on PS4 and the opening cinematic has rogues doing amazing Nightcrawler teleport combat and huge badass fighters chopping three zombies' heads off with one swing while the wizard just chucks a few fireballs to distract a target.

But then it is based on 4E

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

So I finished Shadow of Mordor and the ending sucked immense amounts of rear end. Honestly the last fourth or fifth of the game was pretty bad in terms of story and pacing, but the final boss and the ending cutscene put a damper on my enjoyment of the game.

That's what ya get for not playing a japanese videogame! Now go and play Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I didn't even know Shadows of Mordor had an ending, I thought it was like Pokemon where you catch Orcs, evolve them and then make them fight against each other.

Orcemon, if you will.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I didn't even know Shadows of Mordor had an ending, I thought it was like Pokemon where you catch Orcs, evolve them and then make them fight against each other.

Orcemon, if you will.

That would've probably been a better game all around.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Elfgames posted:

I like this presentation of Fragged Empire's timeline, because it's not just a "X happened here, Y happened here" straight line, but shows the different paths that the various civilizations and events took. Plus I like how one of the first things in the setting timeline is "humanity stagnates".

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Slimnoid posted:

That would've probably been a better game all around.
I mean, that's how I played the game. The story was forgettable but the Orc society stuff was really fun, especially getting an orc named 'Dush' to become a warchief because I have the sense of humour of a child.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, that's why I brought up Dramasystem, since you could have the game be more about intratribal conflicts and power struggles with occasionally having to find out who the secret wizard is that needs stabbing.

Yeah Hillfolk could adapt to it pretty well. I could see a hack of Dogs In the Vineyard working for it, too

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah Hillfolk could adapt to it pretty well. I could see a hack of Dogs In the Vineyard working for it, too

I can confirm that Dogs In the Vineyard works pretty well as a generic system; I'm using it for a Twin Peaks-esque game atm.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

That's what happens when you cut the third act entirely; you end up with the video game equivalent of a bloody stump poorly tied off.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Tekopo posted:

I mean, that's how I played the game. The story was forgettable but the Orc society stuff was really fun, especially getting an orc named 'Dush' to become a warchief because I have the sense of humour of a child.

I look forward to seeing the Nemesis Engine when it's applied to other genres. It would be prime for an urban vampire-hunter game; imagine vampires with different powers, personalities and grudges emerging as you run around staking them in an urban hellhole.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

For all its flaws, the Nemesis system lived up to the hype 100%

Simian_Prime posted:

I look forward to seeing the Nemesis Engine when it's applied to other genres. It would be prime for an urban vampire-hunter game; imagine vampires with different powers, personalities and grudges emerging as you run around staking them in an urban hellhole.

Vampires are also very likely to come back from apparent death, something vital for the system to actually work as intended.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Serenade posted:

Same but opposite.

Imagine if you would, a world covered by endless cities. The plot can focus around pacts and dissension of political bodies, guilds perhaps.

I always had an idea for a game set in 1970s not-New York City as presented in The Warriors, where this huge urban sprawl is broken up into distinct territories controlled by colorful street gangs with weird names and weirder looks. The Points of Light are the few neutral territories or safe havens, and everything outside of them is dangerous if you're not on your own turf.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

For all its flaws, the Nemesis system lived up to the hype 100%

The actual gameplay was I felt, the strongest part of the game. It felt punchy, and rewarding when you could go into a group of 30+ orcs and walk out unscathed. Too bad I couldn't get the crit tempo down for melee attacks; something about the timing for that just escaped me every time.

Simian_Prime posted:

Given the success of Mordor and the Arkham series, I'd be surprised if we don't see more of that style of combat come out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like this presentation of Fragged Empire's timeline, because it's not just a "X happened here, Y happened here" straight line, but shows the different paths that the various civilizations and events took. Plus I like how one of the first things in the setting timeline is "humanity stagnates".

This is pretty cool, how's the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

You could even do Points of Light in an urban setting, where whole city blocks are dangerous warrens of lawlessness amid the small islands of ... suburban tranquility? Now I'm not too sure where I'm going with this.

Basically just like The Division where most of the city is overrun by violent factions aside from a handful of safehouses.

• Locked thread