Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Why not go with Vessery, 2 Omega Crack, 1 Black Crack, 1 Academy?
Sure you lose 1 TL supplier, but those FO dials....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I found that having an extra TC was better for redundancy and that only having two was risky. It also allows me to spread out the TLs a lot more so that i have more potential targets with Vessery. More than likely at least one of your TC TIEs will get destroyed in the first round of combat if you face higher PS ships, especially since you can't focus/evade since you are getting the TL.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tekopo posted:

Best Black Crack build is the Pattiswarm(tm):

3 Black Cracks
1 Crack Howlrunner
3 Academies

I prefer Howlrunner + 3 Blacks + 2 Omega Sq all with Crack. Of course, this requires 6 Crack shots.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I like 5x Omega Squadron Pilot with Crackshot and Weapons Guidance.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think the general thought is that you need the AP to setup bumps on Contracted Scouts and that's the main reason why you would bring them over just getting more crack shot ships.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

I prefer Howlrunner + 3 Blacks + 2 Omega Sq all with Crack. Of course, this requires 6 Crack shots.

I like what Dallas Parker flies, Howl, 4 black crack, zeta leader crack.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

hoiyes posted:

I like what Dallas Parker flies, Howl, 4 black crack, zeta leader crack.

I've been trying out swarms lately, and the list I use is very similar; Howlrunner, 4 Black Crackshots, and Wampa.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Tactical question: when fighting Palp Aces, does anyone ever NOT go right for Palp's throat? I've been playing with the X-wing probability calculator and the difference in expected damage after getting rid of Palp is actually quite large in the case of 3 greens. For instance, Dash w/HLC and a focus jumps from 1 to 2 expected damage, which is fairly significant. That means your turns to kill someone like Inqy goes from 4 to 2.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Usually you'll have to. Assuming you can survive the Aces shooting at you long enough to burn down the Shuttle. Depending on the game state, you might get lucky and get two or three shots on an Ace and do significant damage. Most Ace players won't give you that chance though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Has anyone yet witnessed Boba Fett crew being used on Palpatine? Was it as great as I imagine it would be?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

FFGs site says the new ships are ON THE BOAT

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Usually you'll have to. Assuming you can survive the Aces shooting at you long enough to burn down the Shuttle. Depending on the game state, you might get lucky and get two or three shots on an Ace and do significant damage. Most Ace players won't give you that chance though.

Conventional wisdom says kill the inquisitor first, then shuttle, then Soontir. If you go hard after the palp, then the two aces can spend everything on offence and usually can cripple your list enough to close it out without Sheev.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyoneer posted:

FFGs site says the new ships are ON THE BOAT

The first transport is away.

So, end of October is looking likely at this stage.

Also worth noting that HotR is still at the printer.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

hoiyes posted:

Conventional wisdom says kill the inquisitor first, then shuttle, then Soontir. If you go hard after the palp, then the two aces can spend everything on offence and usually can cripple your list enough to close it out without Sheev.

Ah right. I don't play Imp Aces so I always forget that its usually Inqy instead of OL or something. Soontir with Palp is broken as poo poo, Inqy less so but not by much.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, 3 greens + AT + Palp is a really tough nut to crack, especially on a ship that universally shuts down your own AT.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Finster Dexter posted:

Tactical question: when fighting Palp Aces, does anyone ever NOT go right for Palp's throat? I've been playing with the X-wing probability calculator and the difference in expected damage after getting rid of Palp is actually quite large in the case of 3 greens. For instance, Dash w/HLC and a focus jumps from 1 to 2 expected damage, which is fairly significant. That means your turns to kill someone like Inqy goes from 4 to 2.

If the position is right, I'll go for an ace bump with a scout and shoot torps/lasers at it with the other two. Otherwise, yes palp is first.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Finster Dexter posted:

I tend to fly 3 ship builds, and have been getting better at swarms, so I tend to have one ship peg away at the Palp shuttle, while everyone else bothers/bumps the poo poo of the aces. More than once, I have seen players turn their focus to defend the shuttle, and that's always exactly what I want them to do. I'm actually surprised how often this works, to the point that I never really fear ace + Pal lists.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=1879

Lists from the Vancouver regional. Dengaroo took first, Palp aces second (inq+whisper).

Some interesting lists in the top 8, 3 of which were Rebels lists, including a ghost+phantom+Biggs list.

I also really like the idea of that Ryad/Vessery x7+Juke & AC Juke Vader list that was first place in Swiss.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I won a local store tournament yesterday with four Blue Squadron B-Wings (1 with FCS and 3 with Accuracy Correctors). My regular gaming friend came in 2nd with his Stresshog build mostly thanks to a bye that he got in the first round. I now get a free small ship from the next Wave, so that rules.

It was my first X-Wing tournament and I went in with low expectations and came out really happy with the experience and outcome.

Highlights include how all my opponents would basically start saying how the dice were loving them, while from my perspective they were all doing pretty good to average.

Finally getting to play against Dash Rendar and Corran Horn. Destroying Corran Horn early and watching Dash fly off the board. If he didn't maneuver them so badly I think that list would have eventually annihilated me.

Lowlights include how much of a stickler everyone was when it came to asteroids collision. There were times when I would come close but they'd enthusiastically proclaim I touched the rock and I wouldn't bother arguing over it or calling the judge. I'd just roll the red and lose the action and shot. This happened at least 3 times in 2 games.

Another lowlight was the stank the room had after 3 hours. I was not prepared. Thankfully the door was wide open and I was close enough for the occasional breeze of fresh air.

My last opponent running a fully loaded Bossk and Dengar pair started getting really entitled (I think he was the last store tournament champ) and made things super uncasual and chill. I had to try and keep things light hearted when he started losing after Bossk melted. It sucked that he eventually blamed his loss on not targeting the right B-Wing with no shields becuase I had essentially a conga line going and he didn't know which was which. Also he grumbled all game about an early alpha strike plasma torp that plinked off my Blues with little effect. He was an alright guy though, just accustomed to not losing, I guess.

All in all I'm super glad I went and used the list I did since it gave me a chance to focus on my positioning and maneuvering.

9/10 would Wang again.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 22, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Don't ever let anyone kingshit you on hitting an asteroid or whatever. That's how bad players cheat. Call a judge every time. Flying casual isn't about letting shitheads gently caress you over.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Yeah, people being dicks about obstacles suck. We tend to hold the obstacle still with one hand, and sort of put the rear guides in place then slowly lower the ship; if it hits, it hits. If the whole base hits the mat, you're good.
It's even worse when someone who is winning tries to pull the 'I didn't hit the obstacle' think when they clearly did. Had that happen, where the guy just would not admit he misjudged the move and I must have bumped the obstacle some how, because no way was it his fault in any way. Dude it happens to all of us, it sucks, but it happens :(

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Guys does TTS work only on computers, or would it work on a decentish tablet? My laptop is completely borked, and with my schedule, I don't have time to hit my many many FLGSes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It was difficult for me to refute the astroid kingshitting since it just seemed really awkward to argue about it in the moment. It being my first tourney at the store and it was also early. But yeah, as the day went on and it came up again I started to think maybe next time I'd just call a judge. I was on a bit of a winners high so I blame that for why I wasn't more adamant about it all.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys does TTS work only on computers, or would it work on a decentish tablet? My laptop is completely borked, and with my schedule, I don't have time to hit my many many FLGSes.

Pretty sure it is Steam only, so just PCs/Steam Machines (lol)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

canyoneer posted:

Has anyone yet witnessed Boba Fett crew being used on Palpatine? Was it as great as I imagine it would be?

I've used him against Palpatine and it was very funny; my opponent and I had a good laugh about Fett booting Palpy out the airlock.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

Aren't there like STAW ships with 12-dice attacks in a full 360 turret or some poo poo?

Good fuckin' luck is all I'm saying.

Kingon and Romulan ships from the core set can easily get 6 defense dice with no upgrades. Most ships have at least 180 degree firing arcs, and torpedos aren't discarded, but need to be re-activated. A lot of ships can not only do a 0 manuever, but actually back-up.

It's not even remotely fair match-up. And that's even before STAW's completely unbalanced upgrades come into play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Endman posted:

I've used him against Palpatine and it was very funny; my opponent and I had a good laugh about Fett booting Palpy out the airlock.

What amused me about it when it happened to me: who the gently caress is collecting on that bounty?!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Zaarin?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

thespaceinvader posted:

What amused me about it when it happened to me: who the gently caress is collecting on that bounty?!

The guys who arrange the floating senate chairs hold a long grudge.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Comedy option: Palpatine did it himself in a drunk bet to see if anyone would have the balls

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

It's the Death Star IG-88

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Went a summer kit with the following:

Vessery with tie/d and TB
2x Crack Black with TC
2x Crack Black

Went against Oicunn/Fettigator, RAC/Vader, Soontir/Inquy/Maarek Stele, Ryad/Vessery/Delta and Vader/Ryad/Vessery and came out 4-1 and the only game I lost was against the trip defender at a 4 points difference.

Ryad with PtL and x7 is ridiculous and works well in conjunction with a juke/x7 Vessery, I was really impressed by the number of defenders at top tables: x7 is extremely good and THE upgrade to get.

Came in 4th (no cut), and Alex Davy was playing as well and came in 8th with Hellbus with pup, 2 bynaires and xisor! I had a chat with him as well and he's a really good guy, he really loves the game and it shows.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

This new GSP art is pretty cool... http://imgur.com/a/EMwmH

Would love to see some dreamy Poe Dameron alt art like that.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Finster Dexter posted:

This new GSP art is pretty cool... http://imgur.com/a/EMwmH

Would love to see some dreamy Poe Dameron alt art like that.

Hey, that's definitely referencing the cut-from-the-film woman A-Wing pilot from RotJ. I approve!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Played in my first actual tournament at my FLGS today. Only 6 people were present but I'm still going to count it because I came in first place! I won a free large-based ship, so I nabbed the Lambda Shuttle for when I start doing Heroes of the Aturi Cluster this year.

The competitive nature of the whole thing made each move tense and even the actions I took were carefully thought-out. My list was a combo of my original creation plus some help here on the thread:

Inquisitor with v1 Title, PTL, and Autothrusters
Carno Jax with Royal Guard TIE, Targeting Computer, Autothrusters,
Countess Ryan with x7, Twin Ion Engine MkII, and Juke

My first match was against the TO's wife, who dabbled a little bit but had also done 2v2s at Adepticon before. She ran two Blue Novices and Wedge. I tabled her without any real damage and before it went to time. What I learned from this match up was to find out which ships were going to be the most trouble overall, and knock them down. I took out Wedge first, and unfortunately she had landed the Blues on some rocks into some bad positions. She did do well with blocking my Carnor and Inquisitor, but Carnor's ability to deny focuses allowed Ryad to utilize Juke effectively.

My second match was up against my friend that got into X-Wing the same time I did, and we have a friendly rivalry going on. He played a scum list of 4 Y-Wings with TLT, BTL-A4s, and the unhinged Astromech. This match was a shitshow for me. I have no clue on how to effectively deal with a swarm of Y-Wings that can effectively put down possibly 3+ hits on my ships from each on their turn. I managed to drop one of the shields of one, and put one damage on another, but 2 were untouched. I know I can try to get into range 1, but I'm always in arc of one ship. I tried to lure them through an asteroid field, but my friend was able to get lucky on his dice rolls - 6 times he had to roll for damage, and got 0. I got tabled and frustrated. How the hell do you guys deal with a list like that?

My third and final match was up against someone I had played before months ago and lost - he was a guy that was smart with his move. His list was Wedge, Poe, and Biggs. I knew off the bat that Biggs was going to have to go down before I could hit Wedge or Poe. However, I used Ryad with her K-Turns to point her in a way that she'd only target Wedge. Carnor and Inky took out Biggs, but then Carnor was destroyed. I worked on Wedge next, I had to get rid of him because of his ability and he had R2-D2 on him as well. Ryad was able to K-Turn into a nice position at range 1 behind Wedge and was able to shoot him down. His Poe pulled off an amazing T-Roll that put him at range 1 of Ryad and brought her down to 2 hull while Inky circled around to stay at range 3. This went to time, but on the final play Ryad was able to kill Poe.

My MoV put me in 1st, my friend in 2nd, and my third match opponent at 3rd. It was a good day.

There was a total newbie to the game that decided to join in on the tournament despite only have the OT core, A-Wing, and Y-Wing. He bumped ships around, knocked asteroids around, used the wrong dials on some ships - he was frustrating his opponent. The guy even did victory dances and used words like "You're being salty!" He won his first match but got beat in his next two matches and left ASAP. We were all new before, but this guy was obnoxious and we had to have the TO babysit his matches to make sure he was doing things right.

Overall I learned a few things: Ryad can loop all day and contain a fight in areas that might be a disadvantage for the opponents. Carnor is vulnerable to get into range 1 for action denial. Inky is a sniper and not up-close.

That's my write-up. I think I might drop x7 on Ryad and put TIE/D on her for maximum attack. For Carnor I might drop TC for a shield since I used his TL maybe once, since everytime I PTL'ed it was always a focus and usually a boost or a barrel roll.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Haven't posted in awhile, been participating in the TTS league though and it has been a ton of fun! With some frustrating defeats but a lot of really close games, better than I can usually manage with my friends!

I'm still on my crusade to end up with a painted ship for every pilot card in the game, so here's some updates on that front. (I didn't paint any of these, been working with a great Canadian painter on commission, then had some others come in that were delayed by months and months).

Here's a T70 Blue Ace made by http://www.imagereplicas.com He's stupid expensive but he can do a folding S-Foil X-Wing which is pretty neat, plus he puts little tiny pilots in the cockpit of his ships. This is probably my last commission from him.

I also commissioned a few ships from this guy: http://www.pictaram.com/user/ilnanonefasto/3448860777 He's an Italian and it took him like 6+ months to actually complete the work, I guess due to his seemingly rather enormous workload. The quality is top notch though. The next 5 are by him.

Ello Asty

CMDR Alozen

Blackmoon Sqn

Emon Azzameen (Love the way the canopy came out on this one}

Echo Blue tinted panels on a light grey hull look really good, it turns out!

I also commissioned a Lambda Shuttle from a guy who does LED lighting for large and huge based ships. I've got a few others by him - I'm about to send off three huge ships to him tomorrow which should eventually turn out pretty neat. But I thought he did a great job with the paint job on this one too.

Omicron Group Pilot

ZenMastaT fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 25, 2016

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
This next post is all for the Canadian painter I've been working with, a guy I met on the Armada FFG boards awhile back. Sorry for the huge deluge of pics - I'm sure it's annoying to some people but I personally love seeing painted ships and I've been inspired by some of the stuff you guys have linked or posted of your own work in the past, so I figure some people might get a kick out of it.

Anyway, here's a billion TIEs:

Soontir Fel

Omega Leader (I thought going with a sort of Arctic themed set of F/Os would be neat - this one has dazzle camo to set it apart)

Omega Ace

Omega Sqn Pilot

Baron of the Empire He had the idea to put a bit of heraldry on the side of this one which I thought was kinda cool.

Alpha Sqn

Zeta Sqn These three I wanted to be more standard looking TIE F/Os so they're just the normal color scheme, with different colored view ports and done in a really neat gloss black.

Delta Sqn

Onyx Sqn

LT Colzet

Deathrain Tried to go with the card art here which looks really cool imo

The last three F/Os were supposed to be from like a jungle deployment, so heavy weather staining and stuff like that. The first one is OD although it's a little hard to tell.

Epsilon Leader

Epsilon Ace

Epsilon Sqn Pilot

I liked the way the dazzle F/O came out so I had him do a punisher in a similar style:

Cutlass Sqn

Shadow Sqn

Valen Rudor I liked the idea of this one being super beat up based on his pilot ability - the little discolored viewport pane was a neat touch, I thought.

Gamma Sqn

Hera Syndulla It's probably a little hard to tell unless you click and make this full size, but I had him install a tiny astromech on this shuttle to represent Chopper.

Maarek Stele I liked the yellow lasers on the card art for this so I had him make the canopy yellow.

Juno Eclipse

Scimitar Sqn

Royal Guard Pilot Added winglets for this one which is shown in some of the original art for these guys.

Redline Saw this paintjob on ebay and figured it was a perfect match based on the name.

The Inquisitor Pretty standard paint job for this one.

Sabine Wren I told him to just paint this one however he thought Sabine might paint a shuttle and I think he came up with a pretty good approximation!

Storm Sqn

Sigma Sqn

Sienar Test Pilot

Tempest Sqn I wanted this one clean as if it was in service at the Death Star or some other fancy posting.

Senator's Shuttle This one was a real challenge. It was a shapeways model made in white strong flexible which is a super lovely material to paint. I think it came out pretty well with that in mind.

annnnd finallly...

CAPT Kagi I wanted him to go to town with his weathering techniques on a Lambda so it looked like it had spent a bunch of time sitting around on a forrest floor. I'd say he did alright!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ZenMastaT posted:

Haven't posted in awhile, been participating in the TTS league though and it has been a ton of fun! With some frustrating defeats but a lot of really close games, better than I can usually manage with my friends!

I'm still on my crusade to end up with a painted ship for every pilot card in the game, so here's some updates on that front. (I didn't paint any of these, been working with a great Canadian painter on commission, then had some others come in that were delayed by months and months).

Here's a T70 Blue Ace made by https://www.imagereplicas.com He's stupid expensive but he can do a folding S-Foil X-Wing which is pretty neat, plus he puts little tiny pilots in the cockpit of his ships. This is probably my last commission from him.

I also commissioned a few ships from this guy: http://www.pictaram.com/user/ilnanonefasto/3448860777 He's an Italian and it took him like 6+ months to actually complete the work, I guess due to his seemingly rather enormous workload. The quality is top notch though. The next 5 are by him.

Ello Asty

CMDR Alozen

Blackmoon Sqn

Emon Azzameen (Love the way the canopy came out on this one}

Echo Blue tinted panels on a light grey hull look really good, it turns out!

I also commissioned a Lambda Shuttle from a guy who does LED lighting for large and huge based ships. I've got a few others by him - I'm about to send off three huge ships to him tomorrow which should eventually turn out pretty neat. But I thought he did a great job with the paint job on this one too.

Omicron Group Pilot

holy moly, those are beautiful! I'd like to believe you'd have to shrink somebody down Inner Space style to get detail that fine on a 1/270 scale ship

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah that's insane, doing that on an Xwing scale mini, just looking at the picture I thought it was the Bandai model. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/757585274834677760

• Locked thread