Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Red greatcoats with yellow decorations. Gotta look spiffy for the workers revolution!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Phi230 posted:

What is a good soviet camo pattern for the 80s. I see many conflicting images on google

Mostly? None.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Red greatcoats with yellow decorations. Gotta look spiffy for the workers revolution!

Sorry I meant for vehicles. I see some with just green and black and others with green and tan

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Phi230 posted:

Sorry I meant for vehicles. I see some with just green and black and others with green and tan

Yeah that's probably Europe and Afghanistan, respectively, but you could also not camo them. Plenty were just green.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Building my first wave of vehicles for our 1943 CoC project. This StuG III aufs G has a Tiger I tank friend as well. The kit (a Tamiya 1/48) was really nice to put together, and there will be shürzen on the sides once it's painted up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah that's probably Europe and Afghanistan, respectively, but you could also not camo them. Plenty were just green.

Well out of the like 2 dozen vehicles I have I fihmgure 1 coy of vehicles I ought to try camo.

Well I have to paint my HINDs camo anyway.The team yankee hind images seem to be tan. Is that afghan camo? What camo scheme would european hinds have?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 23, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Phi230 posted:

Well out of the like 2 dozen vehicles I have I fihmgure 1 coy of vehicles I ought to try camo.

Well I have to paint my HINDs camo anyway.The team yankee hind images seem to be tan. Is that afghan camo? What camo scheme would european hinds have?

E: That may not be as helpful as I thought....

I also found this though: http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/USSR/soviet_T-72.php

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 23, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I found that Hind picture too! Noticed there wasnt a russian hind-european theatre on it as well which is super confusing.

I guess I could try an East German hind.

Either way it seems I only have like 2 options anyway. Khaki and green or light green and green

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 24, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

What is a good soviet camo pattern for the 80s. I see many conflicting images on google

There might be some good pictures in the field manual, I'm on cell data right now so I can't download it. ftp://nozdr.ru/biblio/voentech/ychebn/rykovod/Yshebrykovod146.djvu

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I feel like I've asked before but:

When Chain of Command says stuff like:

One Degtyaryov LMG
2 crew
Seven riflemen

Does this mean one man carrying an LMG and two to service it, or one LMG, operated by two people?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

I feel like I've asked before but:

When Chain of Command says stuff like:

One Degtyaryov LMG
2 crew
Seven riflemen

Does this mean one man carrying an LMG and two to service it, or one LMG, operated by two people?

It means a squad of 9 men, of which two are manning a LMG (one shooting it, one spotting/reloading).

E: however, the lists are a bit all over the place, as Richard has changed his mind regarding number of crew for some weapons, like the German LMG teams. So in some lists troops will be considered riflemen, while they might be crew in another list. Best solution is to just calculate the platoon costs yourself, so you end up with the right "cost" no matter how the crews are treated in that specific list.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 24, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My guess would be ten men, because the magazines from that MG are huge round pans.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

My guess would be ten men, because the magazines from that MG are huge round pans.

it is probably ten because he forgot to mention the junior leader

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

it is probably ten because he forgot to mention the junior leader

I didn't forget it, the sergeant's not in the squad box :v:

But yeah, I wasn't sure if there were meant to be 10 or 11 people.

I remembered that the DP carried it's ammo in those record-y looking things and it felt weird that a light gun with hand-holdable ammo that didn't require any attending would need two people to manage but yeah some of the others seem kind of inconsistent on that, like the MG42.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On better sets of British infantry you'll notice figures with four large pouches on the straps of their backpacks. Those guys are carrying extra Bren mags and technically count as "gun crew" even though you could easily fire it from the hip.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

On better sets of British infantry you'll notice figures with four large pouches on the straps of their backpacks. Those guys are carrying extra Bren mags and technically count as "gun crew" even though you could easily fire it from the hip.

And those things are heavy! I only carry two, and loaded they're like... ugh!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

Sure, but I don't think they're counted in the british section in CoC.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think CoC is the kind of game where if you decide that there's more evidence for doing it another way they'll just say more power to you. They seem to assume you're enough of a grog to have your own ideas and to research stuff yourself a bit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, c'mon. Maximize your grog per hour already!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Most of the determination of what does or does not count as crew comes from the field manuals of the various armies in question. So if the time period you're modeling has 2-man crews, great. If it has 3-man crews, equally great. The rules themselves will work just as well either way, and the only difference will be in the "cost" of the unit (and usually an extra rifleman either way isn't enough to make a difference in Force Rating).

I've played a lot of tabletop wargames over the years, but was just introduced to CoC a few months ago; Every time I think about it, I am continually blown away by how cool CoC is. The way it operates is magic. It's easy to grasp and fast to play. The rules are simple, but the player is constantly presented with interesting and consequential tactical decisions, which I love. I also love that wiping your opponent out to the last man is both a) not really your objective, and b) generally really loving difficult to do. The resulting battles just feel more interesting and plausible as a result.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the big discussions in CoC regarding crew has been the interpretation of field manuals vs memoirs and such. "It says that four people are dedicated to this LMG, but in reality, one of the men would just carry some extra ammunition, and would otherwise fight as an ordinary rifleman", and so on. But again, if you calculate the platoon cost according to the Coculator (where you basically just add the number and quality of officers and how many dice of firepower your platoon can dish out), it doesn't really matter if you have a LMG team with two crew and a rifleman or a team with three crew.

But yeah, CoC is good. It's not perfect, but probably the best choice IMHO for platoon sized WW2 games.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
My club seems to be getting into Bolt Action. What is the usual army size, how many minis do I need and can I play as the Finnish?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Not a viking posted:

My club seems to be getting into Bolt Action. What is the usual army size, how many minis do I need and can I play as the Finnish?

500 pts for starting and 1000 points for "full size" seems to be common. Depending on troop quality, 1000 pts is about 4 squads and a handful of support vehicles and guns, so a bit beefier than what would be standard for an infantry platoon. Example of a 1000 pts Finns list, stolen from Warlord Games' forum:

2nd Lieutenant Vet
8 Riflemen Vet
8 Riflemen Vet
8 Riflemen Vet
8 Riflemen Vet
MMG team Reg
Medium mortar team Reg
Panzerschrek team Reg
Flame thrower Reg
57mm AT gun Reg
BA10 Reg
T26 Reg

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
You can't do Finns and not have a sniper.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Five Men in Normandy and No End in Sight are both on sale at the Wargamers Vault, does anyone have any experience with these and would recommend picking them up? They sound pretty cool, narrative driven wargames etc.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I only read them, but I think that Five Men is a lot easier to grasp and get to play. I think FiveCore is a more popular ruleset than the in Sight line.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I haven't tried the In Sight games, but I've played a decent amount of 5Core and I like 'em. You can play them as straight wargames and/but if you're into narrative play they have great campaigning rules - if you go all in with the options, they're almost RPGs!

There's a confusing amount of supps for the different editions, though fortunately the author is happy to help you out on Google Plus or via mail. You may want to take a look at Five Men at Kursk though; in many ways it is Five Men in Normandy but with fully updated 3. ed. 5Core rules. In Ivan's own words:

"The original Five Men in Normandy was the foundational game of Nordic Weasel Games, which gave birth to the FiveCore game engine.
From that humble beginning, the game engine would see itself scaled all the way up to brigade level war gaming, and deep space adventure.
Now, the time has come to go back to the original, update it to be more consistent with how things have evolved mechanically, and make it shine as the premier squad-level ww2 campaign game. As the system has evolved quite a bit, it felt reasonable to use a unique title, rather than simply dubbing it a “second edition”."

For that matter, the 5Core 3. ed. is also good, although more generic. If you're looking for a WW2 game, Normandy or Kursk are probably better choices. My personal favorite 5Core game is Five Parsecs (and supp); that reminds me a lot of playing Traveller with my mates back in the 80s. :) There are plenty of AARs for 5Core games out there, so check some of them out for impressions of the actual gameplay.

BTW, neither Normandy or Kursk are bound to the settings implied by their respective titles. You can play on the eastern as well as the western front in both games.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll definitely be looking at picking up Five Men at Kursk in that case then :)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well poo poo, I held off on 1/72 AWI for too long and now Warlord went and made this.

I'd still be picking it up for Sharp Practice, but it also comes with the Black Powder book, and it seems like an absurd value.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hooray!

Looks like they have some in stock so I can finally build a decent-looking Soviet army!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yes... The best Soviets.

Is there a good source for what a historical Shrafbat company would have? I'm finding between 100-300 poorly armed men, but nothing in terms of what other assets they might have. It seems like a logical fit for games like Bolt Action with their 40k commissars.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

moths posted:

Yes... The best Soviets.

Is there a good source for what a historical Shrafbat company would have? I'm finding between 100-300 poorly armed men, but nothing in terms of what other assets they might have. It seems like a logical fit for games like Bolt Action with their 40k commissars.

The biggest different is the unmarked, usually undyed uniforms that buttoned all the way down. (instead of halfway like other tunics). They wouldn't be well-equipped, probably just Mosins.

Not a lot of photos of them, for obvious reasons, but I have a picture of the uniform at home at least.

E: They also possibly just wore the uniform they had without any rank (or other) insignia. Any special equipment went to others, though.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 28, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh wow, ok. So they wouldn't have been supported with Maxims teams or mortars or anything, right?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Probably not, but it would depend on the mission. The unit itself wouldn't, though, because the idea was that they ran suicidal missions. Their redemption was predicated on spilling blood (their own), which means they were expected to have high casualty rates. You don't give good gear to that kind of unit.

Here's an interesting (somewhat sourced) discussion:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30359

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hooray!

Looks like they have some in stock so I can finally build a decent-looking Soviet army!
They look rather swish!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

At the very least, their uniforms are consistent. The Warlord Games Sovs have a mix of early and late war, and a mix of summer and winter, and so it's very strange.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

Well poo poo, I held off on 1/72 AWI for too long and now Warlord went and made this.

I'd still be picking it up for Sharp Practice, but it also comes with the Black Powder book, and it seems like an absurd value.

Yes, today is a good day to start painting Napoleonic French:

First out will be the downright amazing Dragoon box from Perry. Seriously, 20 quid for 13 mounted and 8 foot dragoons, and it turns out they've squeezed six casualty minis in there as well. Together with the line infantry box I also picked up, I'm set for an entire Sharp Practice force.

It also turns out that French dragoons had awesome uniforms, so painting these is pretty fun.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Best French dragons have pink facings.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Best French dragons have pink facings.

True. But we'll start out with the invasion of Russia, where AFAIK the 7th, 23th, 28th och 30th regiments went along, and neither of them had pink facing. And when choosing between crimson, yellow, and orange, I think crimson easily looks the best.

Napoleonic uniforms is some heavy poo poo, I've never had to do this much research for painting a single wargaming unit.

E: the 12th Cuirassier regiment has pink facing and took part in Borodino though... :black101:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

At the very least, their uniforms are consistent. The Warlord Games Sovs have a mix of early and late war, and a mix of summer and winter, and so it's very strange.
Not to mention the faces!

Bit of a shame those guys are DreamForge, their stuff is a bastard to get hold of usually. Warlord still do the best winter Soviets though right?