Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We got ancient Egyptian levels of drunk last night so once these guys either wake up or submit to The Hand we'll have a parent-teacher conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So where are we at on this? I've got cash, tools and I'm a 5 minute drive away from kijiji red car guy. Am I pulling the xmember, just the parts SSS listed or are you guys going to try the brown car?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Plan C - my dad's driving my truck down to Slung Blades place to pick up his flat deck. Here's then heading out here. We load up the car and drive back. There's a guy who hasn't paid me for the FB parts I sold him. He has everything we need.

Thanks guys for all the hustle!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We got ancient Egyptian levels of drunk last night so once these guys either wake up or submit to The Hand we'll have a parent-teacher conference.

The Hand remains insatiable, awaiting the next batch of hippies that stay in The Cabin and smoke their devil weed

Drunk gear heads were too robust

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

We have abandoned team sweet chilli heat and just arrived at the coast. Still headed to Vancouver to deliver something, then we turn East.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Tommychu posted:

So where are we at on this? I've got cash, tools and I'm a 5 minute drive away from kijiji red car guy. Am I pulling the xmember, just the parts SSS listed or are you guys going to try the brown car?

Since you're in contact with the seller of the red car, can you inquire as to how much he wants for the front fenders? Ideally $100 for both. If not then just the passenger side. I'm heading down this weekend to drop off Slung Blades trailer and your hi-lift.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Since you're in contact with the seller of the red car, can you inquire as to how much he wants for the front fenders? Ideally $100 for both. If not then just the passenger side. I'm heading down this weekend to drop off Slung Blades trailer and your hi-lift.

Also, we have your recovery strap and extinguisher. I'll hang on to everything until you're ready to pick it up Tommy.

Teams Hellica and Cool Ranch have arrived in Kamloops, we're staying at the Marriott in decadent luxury. The hot tub was nice, but our hearing is permanently damaged from the ear piercing screams of kids playing in the pool.

We definitely classed up the parking lot with our rolling garbage heaps though.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

The hot tub was nice, but our hearing is permanently damaged from the ear piercing screams of kids playing in the pool.

So what you're saying is that Karakuchis exhaust isn't loud enough to surpass children on the decimal scale. Time to remove the muffler all together.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It sucks that it had to end that way. You should have sold the RX7 for parts, and forced the retired team to finish out the trip in a rental mitsubishi mirage.

It seems you made the fatal mistake of buying a good $1000 car, and becoming attached enough to your $1000 car that you weren't ready to just push it further into the ditch once it failed.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Powershift posted:

It seems you made the fatal mistake of buying a good $1000 car, and becoming attached enough to your $1000 car that you weren't ready to just push it further into the ditch once it failed.
Well that's pretty much AI in a nutshell

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah we offered all kinds of options, but sweet chilli heat was "worth way too much" to trade for some running shitpile civic in pemberton.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fenders are gone :(

also gonna emptyquote the poo poo out of this

angryrobots posted:

Well that's pretty much AI in a nutshell

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 21, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah we offered all kinds of options, but sweet chilli heat was "worth way too much" to trade for some running shitpile civic in pemberton.

If we had some way to get back to that $800 civic wagon near Nakusp we probably would have pulled the trigger on it.

And swapped over the roof rack :v:

E: actually if our incredibly racist tow truck driver would have offered us more than $400 for it, we would have been in business. Now we have to just head back to Alberta and start making white babies to save the white race.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DrakeriderCa posted:

our incredibly racist tow truck driver

Oh dear. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well just goes to prove Alberta doesn't have a monopoly on hillbilly racist fucks :banjo:

It is too bad it had to end like this but hey, you gave it a shot. There is an 80 RX7 coming up on that July 23 MA auction in YYC. It could be another parts car for next to nothing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Well just goes to prove Alberta doesn't have a monopoly on hillbilly racist fucks :banjo:

It is too bad it had to end like this but hey, you gave it a shot. There is an 80 RX7 coming up on that July 23 MA auction in YYC. It could be another parts car for next to nothing.

The interior of BC is a magical place. Such a diverse population.

At this point, I think I can fix the car for the cost of two JDM sticker bomb packs. The guy who owes us money for the parts from the parts car has all the suspension bits we need. Cool Ranch is willing to sell us their full size spare wheel. Once I get the car back and settled, I'll go into full detail of everything. Plus the other two teams are still going!

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 21, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Keep the center cap off that wheel, cool ranch is missing one.

We just rolled past the Exshaw thunderdome. I think we have the best fuel economy category locked down.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

Keep the center cap off that wheel, cool ranch is missing one.

We just rolled past the Exshaw thunderdome. I think we have the best fuel economy category locked down.

I think the judges will need to review that, since you guys were running a Smokey Yunick fuel filter that you slipped through the exhaustive tech inspection.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm interested to know what got better fuel economy, an RX-7 driving, or an F-150 towing an RX-7.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

I'm interested to know what got better fuel economy, an RX-7 driving, or an F-150 towing an RX-7.

Sweet Chili Heat averaged about 12,2 L/100km

Rotary Support Vehicle averaged 13,3 L/100km

:v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy gently caress I'm beat.

Got home a while back, Switch left after we unloaded his stuff, and I just took a shower and shaved.

I need to decompress for a bit, but I will have images to upload later, maybe tomorrow.

That was a great time guys, I would do that again in a minute.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I need to decompress for a bit, but I will have images to upload later, maybe tomorrow.

That was a great time guys, I would do that again in a minute.

Ditto Slung Blade. Despite or maybe even because of everything, I have a loving blast.

I've also had an epiphany, possibly while experiencing terminal understeer at 35km/h. It'll take some time for me to get all my thoughts on the matter in order buy I'll post about it soon enough.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I had so much god drat fun. Thank you, everyone, for an awesome time.

e: Our fuel use appears to have been 234.176L for the trip. At 2809 km on the odometer, that's 8.34L/100km?

It got a lot better after the fuel filter, who knew.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 22, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I also had fun because Jesus Christ, who does stuff like this?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's not that I have PTSD but I woke up this morning in a panicky sweat wondering what happened to all the brap.

DoritoPower
Dec 18, 2015
I had an awesome time doing this. Thanks a bunch to slung blade for the hospitality and food throughtout the trip and to everyone for your help along the way. Bummer that it had be cut short but many laughs and skids were had regardless. I hope the SCH guys feel like they got their money's worth too.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

We took some photos before we embarked on our journey. I'll post what I have, but DoritoPower has a pro camera full of images that will be way better than mine.

Start of the trip outside my community hall.

The decoration of other team's cars started early. The Hellica received a Hello Kitty sticker and a pair of leopard print panties to hang from the rear view.

Google actually asked me if I wanted to post this as a picture for the Blairmore/Coleman region :lol:

Once we got breakfast in Nelson on day 2, more decoration.

SSSwitch and I added some bike handle streamers to SCH's whip antenna, amazingly this didn't disintegrate once on the highway, it survived perfectly well. We had a little bike bell to go on the steering wheel too, since their horn (probably?) didn't work. We were going to add that late on day 3, but, welp.

Couple of OK travel shots on the way to Nakusp.

Neat old lowboy after we left the Nakusp ferry.

BC was right to fear a transmountain anything. Look at that slick under Cool Ranch!

Lillooet was nice.

And then, on the 99, disaster. I still maintain that the 60mm spacers hosed up the drag link, and then the swaybar link snapping just wrecked everything, but I'm no suspension magician man.

After dealing with that all day, we needed rest and recovery. Also a place to get stupid drunk at. The hostel we stayed in at Pemberton was really nice. Never go to Pemberton though, that place is awful.

Abandoning team SCH to their fate after organizing rescue from Edmonton and Calgary, we carried on to the coast. This was our first view of tidewater. Quite pretty.

Pulled into the ferry terminal to perform some rites.

We consigned Sweet Chili Heat's broken fender mirror to the ocean. At least part of it made the journey.

And then it was through hell Vancouver, aka overheat city and 40 minute delay for a truck getting a tire change on the shoulder of a 4 lane road and NOT A loving VALID REASON FOR A TRAFFIC JAM JESUS CHRIST gently caress THIS CITY.

We stopped in Kamloops for the night.

Next day we took the 1a and flew past Exshaw.

Final fuel up in Airdrie, and ended our combined journey. Cool Ranch still had a three hour drive up to Edmonton and home.

DoritoPower posted:

I had an awesome time doing this. Thanks a bunch to slung blade for the hospitality and food throughout the trip and to everyone for your help along the way. Bummer that it had be cut short but many laughs and skids were had regardless. I hope the SCH guys feel like they got their money's worth too.
poo poo man, my pleasure, I hope it was palatable. Thanks to everyone for all your support during the trip too, we all worked together really well, I think.

I think The Hellica gets the heroic fix award (for the fuel filter), and least fuel and oil consumption awards. But I think Cool Ranch wins overall.

Sweet Chili Heat definitely had the style though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would drive lovely beaters with all of you again anytime.

I'm still shocked those fogs held up. After our NAPA trip today during which we paid Drumheller enough money to buy the entire city, I expect more wiring antics for the next rally.

Here's how I chose to remember Sweet Chili Heat, our beautiful angel:

This picture of Loyal Puppy Cool Ranch makes me yearn to open my wallet:

Since Slung Blade already posted a picture of the incident, I might as well too. Here is our Sweet Angel Chili Heat helping BC's deficit by performing volunteer road works while Adorable Dogfriend Cool Ranch looks on in horror:

Here is a picture I took while changing the fuel filter on the Hellica. BCGoons: what is with these loving Corn Barns? I have never seen one actually staffed.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 23, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the pics and more backstory guys. Glad you had a good time even if it didn't go exactly as planned... although I suspect nobody expected it to go super smooth.

Here is a picture I took while changing the fuel filter on the Hellica. BCGoons: what is with these loving Corn Barns? I have never seen one actually staffed.

They're not going to be open for a month or so yet. They sell freshly harvested corn. We have the same thing in Alberta (you know the roadside Taber Corn stops?) same thing except a little more permanent.

They typically flog Chilliwack corn in my experience.

DoritoPower
Dec 18, 2015
Here's a few of my favourites, but you can see many more in the full album here: http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/JasonRM/slideshow/TM2TWRally. I may still add a few more as I review what I've got.

RX7s rolling down to Calgary the day before

Lookin' fly

First night camping in Nelson.

Highway 6

SweetChiliHeat getting its drink on

Nakusp Ferry

Quick stop on Highway 99

Longer stop on Highway 99

The last glimpse of the SCH boys before we part ways and head for the coast

Sea to sky with the Hellica

Our final destination, horseshoe bay

Sweet chili heat's fender mirror baptized in the Pacific

Fffffffffffffffffffffffff

Final stop with CoolRanch and the Hellica before we part ways

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Those pictures turned out really well! I'm glad someone with talent was present.

Well, talent beyond catching pokemans

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

drat those are awesome pictures. You got some great shots, thank you for the memories :unsmith:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Had a drink and a moment of silence last night for Sweet Chili Heat.

Thanks for the pictures guys.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

a moment of silence [..] Sweet Chili Heat.
Believe me, if there's one thing Beautiful Angel, The Sweetest of Chili Heats was, it was never silent.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Believe me, if there's one thing Beautiful Angel, The Sweetest of Chili Heats was, it was never silent.

Unfortunately, I lack the proper equipment for a moment of BRAP.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Unfortunately, I lack the proper equipment for a moment of BRAP.

Eat more beans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
21 rattle gun salute to the fallen chili.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Switch and I were remarking this morning over gchat how empty and unfulfilling it is returning to work today.

No matter what we're doing or who we are, we're never happy just being in the moment. Stupid human nature.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Mostly I'm just discouraged because there are no longer other freaks within close proximity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Mostly I'm just discouraged because there are no longer other freaks within close proximity.

Were always just an Internet away

• Locked thread