Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

President Valentine is great because he's just so different from other Jojo villains. He's a calm, measured man who's clearly thought this whole thing out. From his perspective, Operation Happiest Place On Earth is a fully selfless goal that will guarantee America the peace and prosperity he killed Confederates for. Hell, he even convinces Johnny that he's morally in the right.

He's also the only Jojo End Boss thus far who doesn't break down into a screaming wreck at the end of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Winter Catfish Guy is my favorite guy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Funky Valentine posted:

President Valentine is great because he's just so different from other Jojo villains. He's a calm, measured man who's clearly thought this whole thing out. From his perspective, Operation Happiest Place On Earth is a fully selfless goal that will guarantee America the peace and prosperity he killed Confederates for. Hell, he even convinces Johnny that he's morally in the right.

He's also the only Jojo End Boss thus far who doesn't break down into a screaming wreck at the end of his life.

Even his revenge is calm and considered. He found a universe where Diego had The World and brought him in because he knew that only a crazy powerful stand stood a chance to beat Johnny.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

To be fair though, considering Johnny's opinion of himself I don't think it would honestly take much to make Johnny think he's morally in the wrong.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Llab posted:

The last few chapters I've read have been cool and intense and D4C, but this loving guy with his "docile like a winter catfish" phrase...

Also yeah I like Valentine's rad scars. I'm trying to think of a reason why original Valentine was short and dumpy and this Valentine is not. Did he do some fuckery with a other universe body double, since his Secret Service seems to be terrible? That's the only thing I can think of, since the hint I was given was that it was related to his Stand.

He found Jesus. :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Searching for the winter catfish guy lead to me to this amazing JoJo wiki page with every single unnamed character (including WCG).

I totally forgot that he was also the one who made the deal with Diego.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Where are y'all getting those length estimates you're feeding the Anime thread, both SDC and SBR clock in at ~3k pages each*, though I can't really blame you for forgetting 90% of pre-Egypt SDC.

* (152 20-page chapters vs 24 20-page chapters and 71 ~40-page chapters)

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Johnny begging Valentine to prove he is a good man is breaking my heart. I also want to see Gyro return. I knew dying to help stop the bad guy is the Zeppeli fate, but just this once... I wanted to see a Zeppeli live.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Once Valentine says he can bring in a new Gyro and Johnny is just looking for any reason at all to not kill him is spectacular, Johnny just wants his best and only friend back.

If I Bites The Dust to the end of Part 4 wasn't my fav, then it'd be that, but it's still a close call.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Llab posted:

The last few chapters I've read have been cool and intense and D4C, but this loving guy with his "docile like a winter catfish" phrase...

I was just re-reading that chapter this week and I had forgotten how many loving times that's repeated. Re-reading the first iteration I thought "there must have been something translated slightly strangely here and that's why this is so loving- oh nevermind he says it like 4 times after that, this is it, for the love of god"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

grancheater posted:

Where are y'all getting those length estimates you're feeding the Anime thread, both SDC and SBR clock in at ~3k pages each*, though I can't really blame you for forgetting 90% of pre-Egypt SDC.

* (152 20-page chapters vs 24 20-page chapters and 71 ~40-page chapters)

The ~40 doesn't work because a lot of SBR chapters were closer to 55-60. On the whole they're longer than JJL ones.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

JOLYNE JUST SET HERSELF ON FIRE TO COUNTER HER OPPONENT'S STAND. :stare:

Best JoJo, 10/10, holy poo poo she's a badass.

Stone Ocean rules.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Dexie posted:

JOLYNE JUST SET HERSELF ON FIRE TO COUNTER HER OPPONENT'S STAND. :stare:

Best JoJo, 10/10, holy poo poo she's a badass.

Stone Ocean rules.

The cool part is I think this is still probably her second most badass moment in stone ocean, which is saying a lot

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My favorite part about Valentine is that every iteration of him has the same goals and personality right down to knowing about the napkin speech. He's a very focused person.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Just finished SBR! It never felt like it dragged on. The fight against Valentine went on for a while, and just when you think it's over, boom! Another wrinkle appears. I was hooked to the end, though. No complaints from me. Stone Ocean was good, but it really dragged a bit around the time of Dio's sons. I'm guessing something happened around the time that SBR started that led to him planning things out more? All of Part 7 feels excellent from start to finish.

I'll quit rambling and go to sleep, but I'm glad I read all of Jojo up to here, and I'll probably start on Jojolion after a short break.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

steel ball run was the first part araki wrote once he'd switched to a new publication which ran monthly

as you can imagine, putting out monthly updates allows for much more work on art and story hooks in general

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Llab posted:

Just finished SBR! It never felt like it dragged on. The fight against Valentine went on for a while, and just when you think it's over, boom! Another wrinkle appears. I was hooked to the end, though. No complaints from me. Stone Ocean was good, but it really dragged a bit around the time of Dio's sons. I'm guessing something happened around the time that SBR started that led to him planning things out more? All of Part 7 feels excellent from start to finish.

I'll quit rambling and go to sleep, but I'm glad I read all of Jojo up to here, and I'll probably start on Jojolion after a short break.

The Valentine fight must have been torture as it was happening, since it's a monthly comic now, meaning Johnny was fighting him for a whole year our time.

SBR is easily the best constructed parts so far, and probably my favorite. Johnny and Gyro are also perfect buddies and play off each other so well.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Johnny and Gyro's friendship was one of my favourite things in part 7, and the way it even pays off on the final boss really stung. Steel Ball Run was fantastic.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yes, I was super salty when Gyro died, I honestly thought he will made it. Also, Araki, being cruel, put a note at the last page of SBR that Marco, the kid that Gyro tried to save, the entire reason why Gyro is in SBR was freed but died anyway later due to a cold.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

You'd think the Zeppeli name would be a huge clue but I was there with you, believing he would make it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

was freed but died anyway later due to a cold.

And life went on

Fate is cruel, and cold, and often unfeeling, but in the case of people like Gyro, at least they tried

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He would later die of a rock

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gyro being the real protagonist of part 7, I thought he'd be there to the very end at the very least, whether he survived or not. The timing of his death really threw me off.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He would later die of a rock

Pretty bizarre really

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I know the Gyro Is The Real Main Character Of SBR is probably a goof, but once Johnny is introduced, there's literally a narration of Johnny saying "This story is the tale of me learning to walk. My name is Johnny Joestar" smdh you didn't expect utter heartbreak

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Gyro was originally the protagonist, and Johnny was the narrator. Chapter 24 refers to Gyro as the main character. (Yes, I'm rereading it because all this chat made me want to revisit it.) I won't dispute that Johnny becomes the main character when Steel Ball Run actually gets named a JoJo's title though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SBR has dual protagonists, is the obvious conclusion; Johnny and Gyro are equal main characters. It's silly to insist it has to be one or the other.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Moltrey posted:

e: I've seen people say that Valentine is a bad villain

This is unlikely, because Valentine is actually the best Jojo antagonist.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://animebracket.com/results/best-jojo-s-bizarre-adventure-character/?group=finals

gryo elected best character over josuke, joseph barely beat kira

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

edit: double post

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

a cartoon duck posted:

This is unlikely, because Valentine is actually the best Jojo antagonist.
It's true, some people are very wrong

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hoobajoo posted:

SBR has dual protagonists, is the obvious conclusion; Johnny and Gyro are equal main characters. It's silly to insist it has to be one or the other.

Only right answer.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/756624891735072769

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this entire Twitter is loving fantastic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also a better translation than the old one.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
My personal favorite.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/735603782990471168

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is eyes of heaven a digital download only?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
What is even the point of these brackets that don't including all the characters (in a particular grouping)?

Someone posted one yesterday that had Terrance T. D'Arby but not his brother, and a bunch of random Part 3 and 5 mooks but almost nobody from Parts 4, 6, or 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Relin posted:

is eyes of heaven a digital download only?

Yes