Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
*three year old child points to dark souls*

"Daddy, is that the gently caress?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

modestmusashi posted:

FINALLY ordered this game. I'm eyeing the Assassin starting class for a dex/sorcery build, but I see a lot of animosity towards sorcery in DSIII. Anyone who followed through with this that isn't unhappy? The alternative is just abandoning magic altogether and putting all my chips in a dexterity-based melee character (i.e. what I've done in every other souls game)
I wouldn't suggest using sorcery for damage - it's viable, but requires a very all-in build. That said, 20 INT and one ring gives you some hilariously powerful utility spells - Spook combines slow fall and silence into one, while Aural Decoy and Hidden Body turn DSIII into a (fairly tough) stealth game. Assassin gives you access to Spook off the bat, so that's fine. I just wouldn't expect to throw out Soul Arrows and deal any real damage.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Jonked posted:

I wouldn't suggest using sorcery for damage - it's viable, but requires a very all-in build. That said, 20 INT and one ring gives you some hilariously powerful utility spells - Spook combines slow fall and silence into one, while Aural Decoy and Hidden Body turn DSIII into a (fairly tough) stealth game. Assassin gives you access to Spook off the bat, so that's fine. I just wouldn't expect to throw out Soul Arrows and deal any real damage.

Aural Decoy is useless garbage, but Hidden Body is hilariously overpowered in PvE and it only requires 15 INT (which is also what you need to use Rapport!)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Crystal Estoc vs Crystal Sage Rapier for a pure Int build? Also does anyone know offhand the which is the highest stability low str shield?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

mango sentinel posted:

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Crystal Estoc vs Crystal Sage Rapier for a pure Int build?

CSR is 100/150 D/D/A, and Crystal Estoc is only 95/130 D/D/A, so unless there's a much larger difference between the two A scalings than it looks like you're going to get more damage out of the CSR. CSR has Stance for its weapon art and Estoc has Shield Splitter, but I never really see either get used. CSR gives you +50 item discovery, which is very nice. Estoc has lower stat requirements, especially for Dex, but you do kinda want Dex for casting speed bonus if you're going to be focusing on sorcery damage.

quote:

Also does anyone know offhand the which is the highest stability low str shield?
How low are you thinking? Among small shields, Eastern Iron has 48 stability and 85% phys reduction, but you can't get it until Anor Londo, its elemental resistances are a joke, and it has Weapon Art rather than Parry; Llewelyn is well-balanced but needs 12 strength; Iron Round has good stability for its size but meh damage reduction; and Golden Falcon has one more stability than Iron Round but poor damage reduction. For standard shields, Spider and Wargod Wooden have surprisingly good stability and require 10 or 12 str respectively. Neither is 100% phys reduction, though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Silver Eagle Kite Shield has 100% Phys and only requires 12 STR. It's your best option if you never intend to raise your STR above that point.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Paracelsus posted:

CSR is 100/150 D/D/A, and Crystal Estoc is only 95/130 D/D/A, so unless there's a much larger difference between the two A scalings than it looks like you're going to get more damage out of the CSR. CSR has Stance for its weapon art and Estoc has Shield Splitter, but I never really see either get used. CSR gives you +50 item discovery, which is very nice. Estoc has lower stat requirements, especially for Dex, but you do kinda want Dex for casting speed bonus if you're going to be focusing on sorcery damage.

How low are you thinking? Among small shields, Eastern Iron has 48 stability and 85% phys reduction, but you can't get it until Anor Londo, its elemental resistances are a joke, and it has Weapon Art rather than Parry; Llewelyn is well-balanced but needs 12 strength; Iron Round has good stability for its size but meh damage reduction; and Golden Falcon has one more stability than Iron Round but poor damage reduction. For standard shields, Spider and Wargod Wooden have surprisingly good stability and require 10 or 12 str respectively. Neither is 100% phys reduction, though.

Iron Round Shield looks baller as gently caress which helps clinch it imo, and it's also the lightest small shield which can parry and doesn't have total garbage stability, so you don't get completely hosed by partial parries.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vermain posted:

Silver Eagle Kite Shield has 100% Phys and only requires 12 STR. It's your best option if you never intend to raise your STR above that point.

Its stability is fairly meh, which can lead to you getting guard broken. It has 45 stability, while Wargod Wooden has 57.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If you've completed her quest, Sirris's shield has really good stability at just a few upgrade points. Not a small shield, and it requires some strength, but I think mine is like 58 stability at +5. That's nearing greatshield levels.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

I have never been able to buy Exploding Bolts in any of my playthroughs, because in the first I didn't know of course, in the second I forgot until too late, in the third I hosed something up (can't remember) and for the fourth see above.

By the by, I'm looking for recommendations for that one. Been using the Demon's Great Axe because I wanted to, but am getting kind of sick of it now, just too limited a moveset and I'd like to have some more actual damage - it's fun, but just nooot that good. Especially DPS-wise, as I am starved for points considering that whole "Pyromancer" thing, so only two hits and I can't even roll away afterwards.

As I want to keep the Pyro thing going, I want to infuse something with Chaos, too lazy to keep buffing, Flame Weapon isn't that good anyway and I need those slots for Chaos Fireball. I think the Thrall Axe could be really nice, someone has already recommended that. Maybe a Shotel for once, or the Carthus one, I keep wanting to use it for style but never get around to it. Not too exciting scaling-wise, though. The Corvian Scythe seems to become really good when upgraded and in Chaos, but maybe it's actually really terrible?
Anything else you can think of besides Straight Swords (really not my style)? Daggers are fine.
In case anyone was interested in a followup other than "Corvian Greatknife loving sucks Chaos infused", I am having fun with the Chaos Shotel. At base stats for wielding (and 22/22 Faith/Int), Chaos by numbers way outdamages Raw and the other physical infusions, of course this neglects that I cannot buff it anymore, and it's split damage, but it can definitely hold its own.

The Dark Hand still does more damage on average, though. That thing is a loving beast.

As an aside, I remain baffled as to how anyone could have a problem with Oceiros, SL1-shenanigans discounted. This is the third time I walked into his bossroom, then into his crotch and treated his ballsack like a punching bag (literal this time: Dark Hand) until he keeled over. I shot a few Chaos Fireballs to speed things up, but I feel like I could stare at his taint mashing R1 for hours and be perfectly safe with the occasional Estus sip. Am I just getting lucky? He did some crystal charge attack I've never seen him do before (maybe because I never backed up to throw Fireballs before), but I just rolled forwards through it which looked pretty baller.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

First phase oci is a ball crushing punch fest.

Then comes the reaping of the taint.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

When you say blue cops do you mean Darkmoon Blades or Blue Sentinels?

Blades. Quit quoting the wiki at me; it's 100% wrong. You seem to be under the impression that this is a personal issue I'm having. It's not. It's how the game works for literally everyone. Further proof:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4u859q/not_getting_proof_of_concord_well_kept_after/

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

mango sentinel posted:

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Crystal Estoc vs Crystal Sage Rapier for a pure Int build? Also does anyone know offhand the which is the highest stability low str shield?

If you want a shield for a mage you can't go wrong with spider. The stability goes up a lot with upgrades, it's low strength, and the absorption is high enough to be 100% with great magic shield buff (it lets you tank all bosses for free on NG). Also if you want a low strength weapon for a pure mage: Raw Thrall Axe. Fast attacks, quickstep, needs essentially no stats and deals great damage with crystal weapon.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I just began NG 3, and I upgraded my BKGS to max, and holy hollows, Batman! This is my most powerful weapon. It hits harder than my BKG, and I used that my whole previous playthrogh.

I'm going for a Hawkwood cos this time around, so I max leveled the standard bastard sword, and it too hits like a truck. I find myself going between that and the BKGS because the weapon art for the bastard sword is useful

I completed Grierats opening quest, and I wonder why he's sad about Loretta. Why is anyone sad about anyone dying in a dying world.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Did something happen to the loot tables for Corvian Storytellers at some point? When I wanted to try out the Storyteller's Staff on a previous character (who was not a luck build), I had to grind for an hour for it, and got 4-5 Hollow Gems in the meantime. Now, on a luck build armed with 330 Item Discovery, over the course of several hours I managed to get 22 Storyteller's Staffs, and not a single Hollow Gem when I want another 4 of the drat things. :psyduck: I'm not even raising my Int above 10. Somehow my luck build is worse at grinding than my other builds.

In other news, I managed to beat Aldritch without getting hit once, not even by his swarms of little purple tracking thingies. :toot:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I feel like my matchmaking is broken. Not seeing summon signs anywhere, my sign isn't being called, no random invasions, not being called by my covenant. All this despite being logged in and embered, hell, I can even see phantoms. Wtf.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Did you maybe leave a password on after playing with friends?..

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
No password set. Also, can see and set messages, even get the normal notifications when they're rated. Is Yhorm and the Lake just ignored? I managed to get Sieg killed while I was trying to equip the sword mid battle. Poor Sieggy.

Edit: Whatever was going on is fixed now, signs everywhere!

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 24, 2016

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

lite_sleepr posted:

I completed Grierats opening quest, and I wonder why he's sad about Loretta. Why is anyone sad about anyone dying in a dying world.

Because he didn't want her limbs chopped off and put in a sack?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Why are the names of the soul items in NG+ different if they give you the exact number of souls? Intrepid heroes aren't what they used to be, I tell ya what

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Anyone on PS 4 have some warden twinswords they wouldn't mind parting with?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hey, when farming for Symbol of avarice using the hunter charms do you have to rest at a bonfire between tossing them on the mimics? or can use the charm, wait for it to close, and use another charm? Also do the chests later in the game have a higher likelyhood to drop?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I've found 3 Symbols of Avarice.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

I've found 3 Symbols of Avarice.

I have gotten one every playthough except this one, just haven't been lucky I guess

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Willfrey posted:

I have gotten one every playthough except this one, just haven't been lucky I guess

Don't you keep the things you find?

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

skasion posted:

Why are the names of the soul items in NG+ different if they give you the exact number of souls? Intrepid heroes aren't what they used to be, I tell ya what

They do have more souls though.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

Willfrey posted:

Hey, when farming for Symbol of avarice using the hunter charms do you have to rest at a bonfire between tossing them on the mimics? or can use the charm, wait for it to close, and use another charm? Also do the chests later in the game have a higher likelyhood to drop?

Throw the charm, then when it's yawned and closed its mouth after a couple of seconds its teeth will shift and if there's an item it will appear. If no item, give it a single whack with a low damage weapon to reset and just keep repeating that til you get the symbol, you only need to rest to replenish the charms. I generally use the one in Sully's room with the golden ritual spear. Don't think later ones have a higher chance til ng+.

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 25, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

Don't you keep the things you find?

christ man use your loving brain and think for one minute why I would need one if i haven't found one on a new playthough instead of being a snarky, condescending tool

Jaaam posted:

Throw the charm, then when it's yawned and closed its mouth after a couple of seconds its teeth will shift and if there's an item it will appear. If no item, give it a single whack with a low damage weapon to reset and just keep repeating that til you get the symbol, you only need to rest to replenish the charms. I generally use the one in Sully's room with the golden ritual spear. Don't think later ones have a higher chance til ng+.

Thanks. Do I need to whack it? I noticed if you just wait it closes back on its own

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

...! posted:

Blades. Quit quoting the wiki at me; it's 100% wrong. You seem to be under the impression that this is a personal issue I'm having. It's not. It's how the game works for literally everyone. Further proof:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4u859q/not_getting_proof_of_concord_well_kept_after/

I had no idea and wasn't having a go at anyone, just quoting the wiki to help settle the argument (and if it's wrong then I apologise but it also makes it clear why others think the same).

I'm a sunbro so I have no dog in this fight :)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also just as a follow up to a previous post gently caress the Smouldering Lake and everyone in it.

I was helping fight the boss over the weekend and despite the hilarity of [spoilers]the crossbow being able to hit people even at the boss door[/spoilers] it probably had the lowest ratio of successful boss fights I've been involved with.

Not to mention I slogged through those loving basilisks multiple times to beat Tsorig and I still couldn't summon him :argh: The Black Knight helped me off him but I thought I'd gotten at least a couple of hits in.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Basilisks? You mean his NPC form? you need to kill his Invasion in the catacombs to summon him, not his real form. I usually summon Tsorig to help me go through those tombs (if I don't feel like just going straight towards the demon king, anyway. Cause those tombs kinda suck.)

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Willfrey posted:

christ man use your loving brain and think for one minute why I would need one if i haven't found one on a new playthough instead of being a snarky, condescending tool

Thanks. Do I need to whack it? I noticed if you just wait it closes back on its own

You can wait, but I think that turned out to be slower when I did it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Garrand posted:

Basilisks? You mean his NPC form? you need to kill his Invasion in the catacombs to summon him, not his real form. I usually summon Tsorig to help me go through those tombs (if I don't feel like just going straight towards the demon king, anyway. Cause those tombs kinda suck.)

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, never ran into him in the catacombs, that explains that.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

Willfrey posted:

Nah whacking's just quicker.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Got one. Thanks for the tips. Also to add, if you leave yorms boss room and go left there are two mimics side by side. Both open with just one charm. Downside is you have to kill a gargoyle and eight priests every run.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The best place is in Sully's boss room because there's no enemies and it's like right there.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Willfrey posted:

Mee-ow :tizzy:

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!
An invisible phantom just shot me with a great arrow and insta killed me, then gave me aldrichs soul and cinders thereby effectively not allowing me to be invaded there any more. This game is pretty loving broken.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I liked DS2's bonfire ascetic mechanic to respawn bosses (without having to go through an entire loving playthrough) so much i actually looked up cheat tables for DS1 that let you reset their alive/death flags. Maybe something like that is out there for DS3?

Dunno how many cheating heuristics that triggers tho. Probably a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

nintendo65 posted:

An invisible phantom just shot me with a great arrow and insta killed me, then gave me aldrichs soul and cinders thereby effectively not allowing me to be invaded there any more. This game is pretty loving broken.

Are you playing on the PC like a baka gaijin?