Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

On the recommendation of a friend I ended up binge-watching Orphan Black . Holy poo poo, what a cool show. Tatiana Maslany is an amazing actress and I can't wait for the next season. With that said, anyone have any recommendations for what to watch next? I'm not even sure what I'm looking for really but I'm open to any suggestions. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Americans if you want a great spy drama mixed with modern arranged marriage.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The Americans is seriously one of the best-made dramas I've ever seen. Not as flashy as something like Breaking Bad, but if you want to see how much suspense and weight can be stuffed into a single subtle gesture or choice of phrasing, The Americans is basically a master class.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also if you just loving love a good wig.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Has anyone seen the 1980's Britcom, "Yes, Minister?" :britain:

It's full of the best British dry wit, and very well-acted. The humor and references are rather sophisticated, and will go over the heads of most Americans. PBS used to show an episode of it each week in the late 1990's; Saturday nights here in Atlanta.

There's an equally enjoyable sequel series with the same characters, "Yes, Prime Minister."

Both series are available on DVD.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yes, Minister (and its sequel) is an essential watch for anybody who likes political humour. Some of the specifics are from Cold War /Thatcher-era Britain but a lot of it is timeless (for better or worse).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching the first season of Once Upon A Time. It's silly fun.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Just binged season 1 of The Americans and holy crap is this good TV. Heard it just keeps getting better and better so I am really looking forward to the next seasons.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm watching the first season of Once Upon A Time. It's silly fun.
I originally thought it was a dumb premise but it's really well-done.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

That's pretty much how I felt about Penny Dreadful. I heard what it was about and was like "well that sounds loving ridiculous and awful", but the storytelling and the acting (particularly Eva Green, holy loving poo poo) sold me on it completely.

I mean episode two and she's already doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQWtK6cdnYE

It is all so insanely over the top and yet it somehow works because everyone is so utterly committed to its insanity.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 13, 2016

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

King Possum III posted:

Has anyone seen the 1980's Britcom, "Yes, Minister?" :britain:

It's full of the best British dry wit, and very well-acted. The humor and references are rather sophisticated, and will go over the heads of most Americans. PBS used to show an episode of it each week in the late 1990's; Saturday nights here in Atlanta.

There's an equally enjoyable sequel series with the same characters, "Yes, Prime Minister."

Both series are available on DVD.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yes, Minister (and its sequel) is an essential watch for anybody who likes political humour. Some of the specifics are from Cold War /Thatcher-era Britain but a lot of it is timeless (for better or worse).

Going along with these recommendations, particularly in light of the carnival sideshow British politics has recently become. :v:

In recent weeks, I've binged through both Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister, along with Father Ted, The Prisoner, Game of Thrones, and (currently working on) The Sweeney.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

Robert Carlyle is a lot of fun in it.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
Yesterday, I finished binging through the first 2 seasons of The 100 on Netflix. I liked parts of the show and after the first 2 episodes it became very different and much better than what I had expected from a CW show with a premise like this. Unfortunately, the Season 2 finale pretty much killed my interest in the show. It reeked of the writers trying too hard to be grimdark and "serious" at the expense of watchability, characterization, and even just having the story make any sense at all. From what I've read about Season 3, problems like that continued after the S2 finale, so I won't be watching the next season on Amazon/Hulu/DVD or any other place where I have to pay per episode/season.

One of the few bright spots by the end of it was Richard Harmon as John Murphy, who over the course of 2 seasons managed to turn an initially unlikeable character into my favorite part of the show. It got to the point where one of the only scenes in the Season 2 finale that I enjoyed was one where he just walks into a house and starts eating some food without saying anything. If at some point Season 3 ends up Netflix so I can watch it without paying any more money, I might check it out just for that one character.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Still watching The Wire for the first time, watching the last episode of season 3 tonight.
Just saw the scene where Omar kills Stringer and even when it happened I didn't believe it would actually happen. Jesus christ I'm hyped to see where this is going!
I don't know what it is, but everything that happens just has so much meaning and punch to it.
No overly dramatic story lines, no cheap gut punches, everything is just so perfectly grounded and balanced, yet thrilling. Amazing.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

So I ended up binging all of Banshee in about a week, week and a half?

It had some pretty rough bits and I feel like Proctor kinda lost all nuance in the last season (and ughhhhhhh the serial killer/white supremacist plot threads and Burton's fuckin murdereunuch dolldungeon), and it got kinda wacky sometimes, but overall I was surprised at how much I liked it and how expressive and vulnerable Hood was.

also holy poo poo Ana pretty great

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
Watched Flowers at the weekend. It's only 6 hours long and it had me laughing and crying by the end. It's incredibly weird, and the humour is very dark, but I would definitely recommend it. It's on channel 4 for British people and Seeso for anyone else I assume.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Marathoned through a bunch of stuff, like the new Voltron and Terriers. Watching the Wire with my parents as well, but everyone else has said enough on it already.

Terriers is pretty solid but I think one season was about the time it needed. It wrapped up all its plots nicely and even the "cliffhanger" feels like another moment of the characters always being on the cusp of making a stupid mistake. Which is kind of the point of the whole thing to me.

Voltron could probably use a few more episodes, but its a Netflix series so it'll get more seasons to develop the story and characters. Its a good funny show and I'm glad to see that people from Korra are getting work.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just finished Stranger Things. It was pretty good... but not great. Nice atmosphere. I liked the kid actors, some of them a lot. But the filmmaking was also stuck in the 80ies at times. Characters were often acting like yelling retards for no apparent reason, flashing lights are okay occasionally but got irritating if used for several minutes in a row, and the montage of teen couple having sex juxtaposed with a monster eating a girl was just terrible, don't know what they were going for there.

edit: That's not to say it didn't keep my interest; it really did. Just a bit frustrated at some of the smaller choices by the filmmakers.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 20, 2016

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

pigdog posted:

Just finished Stranger Things. It was pretty good... but not great. Nice atmosphere. I liked the kid actors, some of them a lot. But the filmmaking was also stuck in the 80ies at times. Characters were often acting like yelling retards for no apparent reason, flashing lights are okay occasionally but got irritating if used for several minutes in a row, and the montage of teen couple having sex juxtaposed with a monster eating a girl was just terrible, don't know what they were going for there.

I agree that it was pretty good but not great. The thickness of the 80s aesthetic really made it worth it for me. Good vibes from that show, and even though there were weak plot points, it was super entertaining. I liked all the actors pretty much.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

INH5 posted:

Yesterday, I finished binging through the first 2 seasons of The 100 on Netflix. I liked parts of the show and after the first 2 episodes it became very different and much better than what I had expected from a CW show with a premise like this. Unfortunately, the Season 2 finale pretty much killed my interest in the show. It reeked of the writers trying too hard to be grimdark and "serious" at the expense of watchability, characterization, and even just having the story make any sense at all. From what I've read about Season 3, problems like that continued after the S2 finale, so I won't be watching the next season on Amazon/Hulu/DVD or any other place where I have to pay per episode/season.

One of the few bright spots by the end of it was Richard Harmon as John Murphy, who over the course of 2 seasons managed to turn an initially unlikeable character into my favorite part of the show. It got to the point where one of the only scenes in the Season 2 finale that I enjoyed was one where he just walks into a house and starts eating some food without saying anything. If at some point Season 3 ends up Netflix so I can watch it without paying any more money, I might check it out just for that one character.

Some good news. Murphy is still the best part of the 100 in season 3. He's also a bit of a Cassandra, trying to warn people on how to stop the big bad, but nobody listens to him. Mostly because the 100 remember him as rear end in a top hat that tried to kill a little girl.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

pigdog posted:

edit: That's not to say it didn't keep my interest; it really did. Just a bit frustrated at some of the smaller choices by the filmmakers.
It's not an uncommon theme in horror movies - especially ones from that era - to equate sex or otherwise "fooling around" with being monster-bait. Juxtaposing the two together was a somewhat novel twist however it really felt like someone had watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW_ocVo16k0 , especially because that pulsing 80s beat is so familiar.. There's even a swimming pool!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Just finished The Night Manager. I thought it was pretty fleshed out character and story wise, and engaging enough for a binge watch. Think it is a one time series but wouldn't mind seeing Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston work together again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are making another season

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Mu Zeta posted:

They are making another season

Even so, based on the ending I doubt Hugh Laurie is going to play much of a part.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Is Voltron worth catching if you have never seen nor have any attachment to the original?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, i watched the other series as a youngun. But i remembered nothin.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm halfway through the second (last? I need to check) season of Legend of the Seeker and I think I really need to track down the Sword of Truth books it's based on... They really doubled down on the 'leather-clad lesbo dominatrixes weilding magical pain-causing dildos' stuff after the first season. :stonklol:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WarLocke posted:

I'm halfway through the second (last? I need to check) season of Legend of the Seeker and I think I really need to track down the Sword of Truth books it's based on... They really doubled down on the 'leather-clad lesbo dominatrixes weilding magical pain-causing dildos' stuff after the first season. :stonklol:

The books are incredibly loving awful, but they make for a great Let's Read.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Even so, based on the ending I doubt Hugh Laurie is going to play much of a part.

TV writers, like nature, always find a way.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I actually liked the first 4, maybe 5 of them. Then they got really boring and preachy. I was a teenager when I read them though so I've no idea how well or how badly they'd hold up now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cactus posted:

I actually liked the first 4, maybe 5 of them. Then they got really boring and preachy. I was a teenager when I read them though so I've no idea how well or how badly they'd hold up now.
Someone post the excerpt about the chicken of evil

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Holy mother of god, I can't stop reading that thread. :suicide:

And now I want to know what this evil chicken thing is about.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've seen it posted here before it's pretty funny but I don't remember it at all so I must have either blocked it or not read that far.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hungover as hell yesterday I binged the first 2 seasons of Bad Education. Pretty great show. The back and forth between him and his students is amazing and the rediculous principle is great in how terrible he is.

One of my mates reccomended toast of london when Im through the last 6 eps.

I also heard the movie was pretty average and kind of ruins the end of the show can anyone confirm?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They're not making another season of The Night Manager. Ignore that bullshit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BlindSite posted:

Hungover as hell yesterday I binged the first 2 seasons of Bad Education. Pretty great show. The back and forth between him and his students is amazing and the rediculous principle is great in how terrible he is.

One of my mates reccomended toast of london when Im through the last 6 eps.

I also heard the movie was pretty average and kind of ruins the end of the show can anyone confirm?

Bad Education movie? IIRC it's more like a side story. It's supposed to be a senior school trip but I think it takes place before the show ends.

Jack Whitehall's other show Fresh Meat is much better.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.

it's part garbage part good world-building for the MCU.

it's cheesy on the level that shows like Alphas only hoped for.

and yet, here i am cruising thru season 2

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I finally started watching Person of Interest (first four seasons are on Netflix).

Holy poo poo.

Generally speaking, I find that shows that mix up plot-of-the-week with an overarching plot tend to screw up the latter to the point that it wrecks the show. This is completely the opposite, and it makes me sad to see that as this show got better, and better, and better, the ratings declined until it was canceled. I guess people just wanted Burn Notice in New York instead of modern-day cyberpunk dystopia as two omniscient, invisible AIs battle and humanity's fate rides on the outcome. Fantastic, can't recommend enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just got around to binging through all of Generation Kill which I had previously somehow never heard of. Checked it out after some goons referenced it in another thread, and loved it.

Pretty much Band of Brothers or The Pacific for modern war, in Iraq. The action was all really well done, the uniforms and guns and humvees were great and everything felt appropriately real. (Because it was based on journalism) Really liked seeing all the characters, especially having some incompetent guys in charge and watching people kinda struggle with the chain of command in a war where bad decisions get people killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love Generation Kill, and in some ways it's hard to go back to something like Band of Brothers after it because you can tell that something like BoB is a super hollywood-ized, romanticized, almost saccharine take on its war story. We have a whole bunch of clear cut heroes in BoB, whereas GK there are huge swaths of grey with everyone and it really doesn't glorify anything about the war or why they are there, like it's just a loving job for them.

This isn't to say I don't love BoB, and yeah it's kind of an apples/oranges sort of thing, but that was my immediate thought after finishing GK for the first time.