Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who hasn't played in forever.

More or less 'hey, what robots should I get, because man my old gun cataphract sucks now'.

I told him warhammers, but more advice for an old player who doesn't know quirks even would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TheParadigm posted:

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who hasn't played in forever.

More or less 'hey, what robots should I get, because man my old gun cataphract sucks now'.

I told him warhammers, but more advice for an old player who doesn't know quirks even would help.

Stormcrows. Stormcrows. Stormcrows. They are the most versatile mech in the game.

Generally speaking, what you look for is a combo of hardpoints and quirks. Thanks to absolutely lovely map design, the higher the hardpoints the better. Good quirks will eventually be nerfed thanks to the main devs not being able to LRM safely and reliably, so the quirk side doesn't matter as much, but it's still important. I think each Atlas was recently nerfed, despite being made slightly larger.

The reason you want high hardpoints is because each map is slowly becoming a trench warfare simulator, with the end goal of each map being a vast open plain with a single point of cover (see: the south-east and east-by east south portion of the new Frozen City).

The safest mech to buy will always be the Stormcrow. It doesn't even need much in the way of quirks to gently caress over any other mech in the game. It's fast, it punches well above it's weight, and being able to switch pods helps immensely.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 25, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Having now Mastered 2 assaults, 2 heavies, and 2 mediums, I'm thinking that mediums are by far the class I like the most.

Lights are too fast for me and too fragile to survive my habit of making mistakes. :v:

Edit: The Stormcrow's hardpoints are definitely below the cockpit, so they aren't high. And the cockpit itself is also below a raised portion of its torso, so I'm not sure what you mean?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 25, 2016

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Artificer posted:

Having now Mastered 2 assaults, 2 heavies, and 2 mediums, I'm thinking that mediums are by far the class I like the most.

Lights are too fast for me and too fragile to survive my habit of making mistakes. :v:

Edit: The Stormcrow's hardpoints are definitely below the cockpit, so they aren't high. And the cockpit itself is also below a raised portion of its torso, so I'm not sure what you mean?

The Stormcrow is forgiving of mistakes, and 2 of it's potential laser hardpoints are high on it's shoulders. Overall, it's the most forgiving mech in the entire game, and allows peaking either vertically or horizontally. You can build a Stormcrow to be a poor man's Thunderbolt, with an LPL in the side torso and MPL or ML's in a god hand with amazing heat management.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If the guy liked ballistic cataphract a have him get a warham. There good r]bits and do dakka well b

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Holy poo poo. Just unlocked that freebie supply cache. Got a clan ams.

gently caress you pgi if you think I'm going to play for rewards that I have to pay to open. That also may be as useful to me as an ams system. With real money.

gently caress you.

gently caress you Paul.

gently caress you Russ.

You can try to pass blame on "oh! We thought people liked that!", but gently caress you for letting this happen.

I don't really gamble. All I want to do is shoot robots. I'm already gambling that my team isn't full of retards (and constantly losing that bet). But that's as far as my gambling goes.

"But, but... We'll give them out as prizes! You CAN get them for free!!!"

gently caress you.

Required play-shitwindows for shitrewards aren't a good enough reason to play your shitsandwich of a game.

Make ALL the supply shitcrate rewards something to pay for. Nothing big. Like a one time pattern being the shittyest shitreward. Make keys mc shitcheap. Like 5 mc.

In the time it takes for the average shitlord to build up enough shitcaches to warrant a $$$ purchase, you'll have sold them $140 dollars (lol, gently caress you if you think I'll fall for that anytime shitsoon). That's the real cash shotcow here. People ACTUALLY bought hawks and vipers! They are poo poo-TERRIBLE robots in this shitgame as it stands. And people ACTUALLY BOUGHT THEM.

gg close

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Keys are 25 MC (about 14 cents) you huge baby. Gumball machines cost more than that. If you dont want them just sell them and enjoy your free 50k.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Still nine cents too much for failed e-games.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Keys are 25 MC (about 14 cents) you huge baby. Gumball machines cost more than that. If you dont want them just sell them and enjoy your free 50k.

Gumball machines do not have a $5 minimum purchase.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

lol everything about this game is a clusterfuck but lovely loot crate free to play mechanics are what break you?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, the introduction of crates basically means 'have 50k every 12 games ish'. It's not particularly meaningful, but it's free.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Presented for the thread upon request, for a braver goon than I to risk bans for proudly wearing into battle, leading the charge, and inspiring your team with your giant... example.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I see lots of robodicks but no goatse.

Not enough decal slots.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Im honestly surprised i didnt see a single swastika-craft the whole weekend.
Do they block them or have they checked all the decal combination for swastikaness?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im honestly surprised i didnt see a single swastika-craft the whole weekend.
Do they block them or have they checked all the decal combination for swastikaness?

How would they even do that?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

How would they even do that?

Dunno, theres face-recognition software too. Cant be that hard to code it to recognize shapes.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

TheParadigm posted:

Presented for the thread upon request, for a braver goon than I to risk bans for proudly wearing into battle, leading the charge, and inspiring your team with your giant... example.

does anyone truly care about getting banned in this game? I almost feel if my account got banned my life would be better in some way.

I like shooting the poo poo with you guys in mumble, and I like steamy, up close group brawls. Had fun Saturday for the most part, win or loss, but the most notably un fun poo poo we ran up against was dropping against the same long range laser pinpoint autists five times in a row. Is that still the meta thing to do? Long range energy spam?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Dunno, theres face-recognition software too. Cant be that hard to code it to recognize shapes.

What is more likely, PGI's crack team of professional game designers implementing such a system or some mouth breather emailing a screenshot to their CSR

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Willfrey posted:

some mouth breather emailing a screenshot to their CSR

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Willfrey posted:

does anyone truly care about getting banned in this game? I almost feel if my account got banned my life would be better in some way.
This is exactly why I'm considering it. Its like setting a random timer on 'stop playing this awful game'.

its so bad that chance of being banned isn't a con.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

e long range laser pinpoint autists five times in a row. Is that still the meta thing to do? Long range energy spam?

Are you Paul?
Please dont nerf Energy range quirks again cause you got sniped.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
So you all know about the big HugBear. And are waiting for it to be available for C-Bills. Yeah I know you can (probably) fit the Kodiak-3 without ending up with 4 MGs and all of the Flamers. But you might want to try something different for the KDK-1 and 2. While pike and poke is all fine and dandy. Brawling can be a lot more fun. Just vote for the right maps (you won't get them).

KDK-1 HugBonerOne (400XL, 6x SPL, 1x UAC-10, 2x SRM6+A)
Hits like a truck and isn't the hottest build I've tried. SPLs deal 36 damage, UAC doubleTap another 20 and 24 from the twin SRM6 (80 "alpha").

KDK-2 HugDoubleJumpBoner (400XL, 6x MPL, 1x UAC-10, 2x JJ
Runs hot, cools and kills fast. Just the MPLs deal 48 damage + 20 from the doubleTap. You can watch your heat rise in real time. It will also melt enemy mechs.

PSA-Warning
Buddy up with a DADlas or Hellbringer for some ECM cover. A Hellbringer has the advantage of having more agility, to deal with those pesky content locusts.
Both builds aren't as foolproof as the KDK-3 HugQuadLove (375XL, 4x UAC-10. Click left, click right, blow Mechs up all night.

EDIT
I should note that I'm not a big fan of sitting on my rear end (or moving around) while sniping from behind hills and trading. I could play a stupid trading card game if I would want to trade Not completely serious.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Are you Paul?
Please dont nerf Energy range quirks again cause you got sniped.

Maybe I am overreacting. But god peepsniping just brings back bad memories of ye olde 2ppcgauss Cataphract poptarts. Also they couldn't match us with any other opponents for five consecutive matches.

Still entertaning to watch them nanny the community. Gotta keep that ESRB rating, wouldn't want a busy mom passing up that boxcopy at Bestbuy.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Willfrey posted:

Maybe I am overreacting. But god peepsniping just brings back bad memories of ye olde 2ppcgauss Cataphract poptarts. Also they couldn't match us with any other opponents for five consecutive matches.

Still entertaning to watch them nanny the community. Gotta keep that ESRB rating, wouldn't want a busy mom passing up that boxcopy at Bestbuy.

Are you talking about 12vs12 or big groups in QuickPlay? It might sound strange but there are some interesting videos on the MWO Channel. Namely from the tournament with brawl decks vs. Long Range. Though it certainly depends on the map.
World Champion match featuring Executioners with Flamers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyjL7eLWSRE

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Are you talking about 12vs12 or big groups in QuickPlay? It might sound strange but there are some interesting videos on the MWO Channel. Namely from the tournament with brawl decks vs. Long Range. Though it certainly depends on the map.

Neat! I feel validated that my 4ASRM6 4SPL timberwolf is a viable thing

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tank Boy Ken posted:

How come the match footage is always of such an extremely low quality? I can barely see any details and I can forget about reading any of the text. Is it the spectating client or just that the guy running it has a bad computer? Are there higher quality streams somewhere else?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TjyvTompa posted:

How come the match footage is always of such an extremely low quality? I can barely see any details and I can forget about reading any of the text. Is it the spectating client or just that the guy running it has a bad computer? Are there higher quality streams somewhere else?

I have yet to see good spectator videos. Though the most interesting part is the general movement and tactics used. Though I'd like to be able to look at it in higher fidelity.

EDIT: Higher Quality - Might not be better content.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xTsmXlS4VE

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 25, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUnxn3qNcrg

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

kingcom posted:

lol everything about this game is a clusterfuck but lovely loot crate free to play mechanics are what break you?

Good call. I'm not yelling at a monitor, foaming at the mouth, crazy about this. But it's just such a "gently caress you" move (only made more of a troll by the c-ams), that it really brings home what a shitshow experience pgi has made possible in this game. At least to me.

It's like, just when you think pgi can't possibly poo poo on another established, tested, successful mechanic from a decidedly not-poo poo game. They do. :pgi:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if they charge money to open the crates at least the outcome shouldnt be weighted towards the shittiest result.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My MC pretty much only gets spent on one-shot paint jobs so gently caress those crates and the people who open them :thumbsup:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Tank Boy Ken posted:

!!!

this was the one I was talking about. Hilarious that the Flamercutioners not only worked but shut things down big time

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Honestly, if they charge money to open the crates at least the outcome shouldnt be weighted towards the shittiest result.

Yeah, that sucks. Though it's another copy/paste thing they did. War Thunder does something similar (though considerably worse): They do have free loot packs (random chance), those open for free. But the chance to get anything "premium" (currency/items) is insanely low. They (War Thunder) also have loot boxes (direct purchase with premium currency), which are a lot more like to getting poo poo for your money. You even may end up getting ingame currency.

So at least the Keys in MW:O are a lot cheaper than the premium boxes in War Thunder. They'll also give out free Key(s) during event(s) (1 Key during the personal challenge last weekend). So you can at least keep the best caches and sell everything else.

That being said: I'm not a big fan of those gamble caches either. Might be because I only end up getting poo poo all out of those. On the other hand: It's no suprise that you don't get a guaranteed million+ C-Bills or premium items out of each cache. But 6.95 $ can buy you 50 Keys, or a Pizza.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Yeah, that sucks. Though it's another copy/paste thing they did. War Thunder does something similar (though considerably worse): They do have free loot packs (random chance), those open for free. But the chance to get anything "premium" (currency/items) is insanely low. They (War Thunder) also have loot boxes (direct purchase with premium currency), which are a lot more like to getting poo poo for your money. You even may end up getting ingame currency.

So at least the Keys in MW:O are a lot cheaper than the premium boxes in War Thunder. They'll also give out free Key(s) during event(s) (1 Key during the personal challenge last weekend). So you can at least keep the best caches and sell everything else.

That being said: I'm not a big fan of those gamble caches either. Might be because I only end up getting poo poo all out of those. On the other hand: It's no suprise that you don't get a guaranteed million+ C-Bills or premium items out of each cache. But 6.95 $ can buy you 50 Keys, or a Pizza.

Warthunder at least has the usual f2p model of "daily login bonus with increasing rewards" in addition to supply caches, as had star conflict (from the same company surprisingly).

Also its not really gambling, its openly rigged.
If it was 1/8 to get a ppc and 1/8 to get a mechbay, fine. But its weighed heavily towards that ppc and your chances of getting that mc for a lower investment than straight 300mc is practically nil.
Its like betting on the zero in roulette, but it only pays double and not x36.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Are we seeing the same thing? It looks like total poo poo, is it the same guy who makes all the MW:O spectator videos?

Edit: Just noticed it was uploaded by the official Mechwarrior Online account on youtube. I am no video expert but maybe they cold tweak their encoding or something so you can actually see something?

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 25, 2016

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Also its not really gambling, its openly rigged.

Proper gambling is openly rigged; almost everywhere, you're required to post (and adhere to) odds. This, you have no idea what the odds are or if it's a fair game.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Has PGI made any statement about probability distribution for crate unlocks? If there are 8 items in a box, do you have a 1 in 8 chance to get each of the items, or is the probability weighted against the most desired items?

Basically, is this legit or is it a rigged carnival game?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Yeah you shouldn't count on getting anything premium. If you open the caches: Expect to receive at most 200k C-Bills extra per cache. That's 8k C-Bills per MC or ~ 10 million C-Bills for 6.95 $. Wether that is worth it to you, is a personal thing. I am going to blow my remaining MC on Keys.
My findings so far:
5x 250k C-Bills
2x Kit Fox-C Left arm
1x IFR-D right arm
1x ER PPC (IS)
1x C-SRM 6

Tank Girl Barbie
1x Std 360
1x Hill Climb Module

I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick here.

Lonjon posted:

Has PGI made any statement about probability distribution for crate unlocks? If there are 8 items in a box, do you have a 1 in 8 chance to get each of the items, or is the probability weighted against the most desired items?

Basically, is this legit or is it a rigged carnival game?

It's rigged. It's :pgi:....

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've opened 3 crates so far. Just on a whim, my winnings so far have been

LRM20
Clan Gauss
And the aforementioned AWS-8Q

I don't risk opening anymore because I know after the Awesome, it's going to be all AMS from here on out.

I've noticed that the few Vipers that were out have since disappeared off the field. I love my flying Ice Ferret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Just stumbled upon this: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/4ueimj/more_single_heatsinks_more_single_heatsinks/
And came up with this horrible mess: MAL-1P -180 STD, 48 SHS, 4x LL

• Locked thread