Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

necrotic posted:

Here's someone who setup i3 as a window manager and it all worked.

https://brianketelsen.com/i3-windows/
It ran a window manager, which mostly has dependencies on X11, zsh which probably has the same API coverage as bash and neovim, which again has portability in mind. I'll be more impressed when I see Pitivi or Ardour running OK-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Combat Pretzel posted:

It ran a window manager, which mostly has dependencies on X11, zsh which probably has the same API coverage as bash and neovim, which again has portability in mind. I'll be more impressed when I see Pitivi or Ardour running OK-ish.
Is there any reason someone would genuinely want to do this, though? Other than "wow, cool, it works" I mean. If you're doing video or audio editing, you likely care about performance and would want to run your binaries native, right? And there are Windows apps that can do what those do... So wouldn't someone just either run Linux and use the apps natively, or use Windows apps on Windows to do the same thing?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, I did my windows 7 to 10 upgrade a while back, then significantly upgraded my hardware and it refuses to activate for that reason, is there any way to get a new 10 key or am I SOL? Don't really have another $120 or $200 to drop right now.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 24, 2016

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fishmech posted:

You can just run the downloader from the Microsoft site again, and have it make a USB drive, and use the key you get from the DVD package with it.

Seems kind of weird that in 2016 there's no option for Windows to just be like, "beep boop, we noticed your current installation of Windows is not activated. Would you like to purchase a new license key?" rather than having to order an outdated storage medium to get a series of letters and numbers on a physical sticker.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DrNutt posted:

Seems kind of weird that in 2016 there's no option for Windows to just be like, "beep boop, we noticed your current installation of Windows is not activated. Would you like to purchase a new license key?" rather than having to order an outdated storage medium to get a series of letters and numbers on a physical sticker.

Er, what? You've been able to just purchase them online for several years, but Microsoft pretty much always keeps it at the MSRP, while you can get pretty nice discounts from retailers.

For instance, here's where you can buy Windows 10 Home direct from Microsoft, it's $119: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-10-Home/productID.319937100
But if you buy a physical copy of Windows 10 Home OEM from Newegg, it's only $99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892&cm_re=windows_10_home-_-32-416-892-_-Product

xamphear posted:

Is there any reason someone would genuinely want to do this, though? Other than "wow, cool, it works" I mean. If you're doing video or audio editing, you likely care about performance and would want to run your binaries native, right? And there are Windows apps that can do what those do... So wouldn't someone just either run Linux and use the apps natively, or use Windows apps on Windows to do the same thing?

Linux binaries are running natively on the new thing, it's not a VM.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Deviant posted:

Ugh, I did my windows 7 to 10 upgrade a while back, then significantly upgraded my hardware and it refuses to activate for that reason, is there any way to get a new 10 key or am I SOL? Don't really have another $120 or $200 to drop right now.
If you're quick you should be able to squeeze in a fresh install of 10 with your 7 key before the 29th. Don't know if that would help re-activate your old install, but the new install will send out a new valid hash for your new hardware and give you a new digital entitlement.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

Did you already try doing "Change product key" and entering your 7 key?

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

I'm coming from OS X and the biggest thing I miss is the ability to have certain apps always start on a specific desktop. Is there any way to make window management behave the same way on W10?

And are there TotalSpaces (http://totalspaces.binaryage.com/) and Alfred (https://www.alfredapp.com/) equivalents for Windows?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

astral posted:

Did you already try doing "Change product key" and entering your 7 key?

I'm not even sure I can find it anymore. :(

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

I'm not even sure I can find it anymore. :(

If not, do you still have the old hardware? You could probably then go back to the old hardware and make sure you have a MS account login to your computer. Then when the anniversary edition hits on August 2, update and it'll automatically link your digital entitlement to that MS account. Then, swap back to the new hardware and run the new-in-the-anniversary-edition activation troubleshooter. Theoretically that will let you re-activate across some hardware changes that aren't just automatically accepted.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

astral posted:

If not, do you still have the old hardware? You could probably then go back to the old hardware and make sure you have a MS account login to your computer. Then when the anniversary edition hits on August 2, update and it'll automatically link your digital entitlement to that MS account. Then, swap back to the new hardware and run the new-in-the-anniversary-edition activation troubleshooter. Theoretically that will let you re-activate across some hardware changes that aren't just automatically accepted.

I technically do, but man, I upgraded in the first place because that hardware was old and slow and busted. I guess I can suffer through it for a few days.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

I technically do, but man, I upgraded in the first place because that hardware was old and slow and busted. I guess I can suffer through it for a few days.

It's not a guarantee, but if you can't find the old product key or swing the cost of a new license it's probably your best chance. Good luck!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

astral posted:

It's not a guarantee, but if you can't find the old product key or swing the cost of a new license it's probably your best chance. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-License-KEY-/dp/B01E7GLANS Any reason I can't do soemthing like this and go with a fresh 7->10? Or is there some way I can put a new 7 key into my existing 10 installation?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Actually one other option is you could try contacting their activation support - does windows offer you a phone number to call or anything in Settings -> Update & security -> Activation? Otherwise you could try the "Contact Support" app.

Deviant posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-License-KEY-/dp/B01E7GLANS Any reason I can't do soemthing like this and go with a fresh 7->10? Or is there some way I can put a new 7 key into my existing 10 installation?

You could, but that's probably grey market territory. And yeah, you can 'change product key' 10 to a valid w7 or w8 key to get a digital entitlement, though I had mixed luck with this (one of my w7 keys just wasn't recognized).

astral fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 24, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anyone having trouble with the upgrade assistant slowing around 70% completion? Jesus it zipped through that far but its at 84% now and took considerably longer to get to that point even. Last night it was at 99% and stayed there overnight.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fishmech posted:

Er, what? You've been able to just purchase them online for several years, but Microsoft pretty much always keeps it at the MSRP, while you can get pretty nice discounts from retailers.

For instance, here's where you can buy Windows 10 Home direct from Microsoft, it's $119: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-10-Home/productID.319937100
But if you buy a physical copy of Windows 10 Home OEM from Newegg, it's only $99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892&cm_re=windows_10_home-_-32-416-892-_-Product
That's not a discount you muppet, it's a different product.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Klyith posted:

Not at all.

In fact, there is an option during the upgrade process to change what is kept. Check step 17 in this tutorial. If you say to keep nothing, it will be drat close to a clean format install. Windows will be activated and there will be a 'windows.old' folder with the previous OS backup, nothing else. Back up your stuff first obviously.

Or later on, the Reset + Remove Everything is effectively the same as formatting & reinstalling, just without install media or needing to reactivate or anything. Totally automated.

Even if you do the most standard upgrade that keeps all your programs and files, it feels like a lot of Win10 issues don't need a format + reinstall to fix these days. The cruft builds up in the user profile not the OS dir. A fresh user profile solves many problems.

I tell them to straight upgrade because there's about a 1 in 2 chance that everything will work perfectly and you won't need to purge. I've seen several people who are set on the clean install because they've done it for 20 years on Windows and end up being just fine moving straight over.

That being said, the other 50% of people have a terrible time. You can purge during the upgrade, but I think its' worth it to upgrade and check, first.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So I'm a dummy and did a Windows 10 Reset without first grabbing my office 2010 CD key.

I checked the registry after the reset but it wasn't there. Any other suggestions on how I might be able to recover it/get/but a cheap/free office cd key?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Massasoit posted:

So I'm a dummy and did a Windows 10 Reset without first grabbing my office 2010 CD key.

I checked the registry after the reset but it wasn't there. Any other suggestions on how I might be able to recover it/get/but a cheap/free office cd key?

How did you originally get it, like by disc or download? If you'd bought it as a digital download/code you may be able to get it from your email.

And if you had an old system backup around, it may be able to be retrieved from there.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

fishmech posted:

How did you originally get it, like by disc or download? If you'd bought it as a digital download/code you may be able to get it from your email.

And if you had an old system backup around, it may be able to be retrieved from there.

Electronic code from when I was in undergrad in like 2011. I checked my gmail and there's nothing in there. Don't think I did any backups... I dont really have many important files that aren't saved in cloud storage.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, just to confirm, if I need to do a clean wipe and install of windows 10, will I be able to downgrade back down to windows 7, if needed, as long as I have my product key? Let's just say I Did A Stupid and now a regular upgrade from 7 to 10 won't be possible.

EDIT: To clarify, I plan on having a copy of Win 7 on USB for the downgrade. I'm assuming I'd need to do a second wipe and install to downgrade.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 25, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, just to confirm, if I need to do a clean wipe and install of windows 10, will I be able to downgrade back down to windows 7, if needed, as long as I have my product key? Let's just say I Did A Stupid and now a regular upgrade from 7 to 10 won't be possible.

Yes, your Windows 7 key never gets deactivated or invalidated. You're just not supposed to use it so long as 10 is installed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes. You'd need to do a fresh install, but the upgrade process doesn't invalidate your 7 key.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks for answering quick. That was actually one of the smoothest transitions I've done in a while. Is there a specific thread for me to take all my lovely dumb questions about Win10, or is this it? I had everything set up juuuust right in Win7 to the point where I didn't have to worry about getting malware unless I was actively trying to, and everything was familiar. Now I'm 2 operating systems into the future and I don't know if what worked then still works now, or if I should get with the times and do something different.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

fishmech posted:

Linux binaries are running natively on the new thing, it's not a VM.

There's a translation layer, and who knows how efficiently Microsoft coded it, but yeah you'd expect it to perform similarly to if you were running Linux natively. On the other hand, VMs can perform well too. Or so I've heard.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there a way to have Windows 10 output audio to two separate devices at once? My PC is hooked up to PC speakers and to my television, but only one is ever in use at a time. Is there a way to set it up so I dont have to change the default playback device every time?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

Is there a way to have Windows 10 output audio to two separate devices at once? My PC is hooked up to PC speakers and to my television, but only one is ever in use at a time. Is there a way to set it up so I dont have to change the default playback device every time?

Nothing built in, you have to use something like VoiceMeeter or Virtual Audio Cable to get a virtual output device, that then fans out to the actual outputs you want. Also be aware that this may introduce some delay on the audio.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

fishmech posted:

Is the price difference there not down to the fact that the cheaper one is an OEM copy? It used to be that those versions were cheaper because they could be only ever be activated on one machine, while the full licences could be moved to a new machine if needed. Also, in the past you could only buy an OEM copy in conjuction with a qualifying piece of hardware (motherboard for example).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Arsten posted:

I tell them to straight upgrade because there's about a 1 in 2 chance that everything will work perfectly and you won't need to purge. I've seen several people who are set on the clean install because they've done it for 20 years on Windows and end up being just fine moving straight over.

That being said, the other 50% of people have a terrible time. You can purge during the upgrade, but I think its' worth it to upgrade and check, first.

Yeah, upgrading kinda works and I did it for my desktop PC (rolled back on the same day the first time, because of a bug that made opening start menu take half an hour), but both my laptops got straight up nuked without questions, because I use them for university and all my data is backed up anyway.

The first one got nuked because it had three different installations of Matlab and other poo poo I didn't need anymore (academic software is fun, academic matlab plugins even more). The second one got nuked because it was factory fresh and contained all the annoying OEM-ware.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Meat Recital posted:

I used a program called CheVolume for this back when I was in the exact same situation. Worked pretty well and was pretty user-friendly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chippy posted:

Is the price difference there not down to the fact that the cheaper one is an OEM copy? It used to be that those versions were cheaper because they could be only ever be activated on one machine, while the full licences could be moved to a new machine if needed. Also, in the past you could only buy an OEM copy in conjuction with a qualifying piece of hardware (motherboard for example).

Retail OEM copies exist solely to provide a cheaper legit version of Windows. You can still move it to a different system always, it'll just be a bit more of a hassle to do than the "full" license.

You also miss out on a certain number of free phone calls to Microsoft support, but since most people don't do that it's no big deal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Buttcoin purse posted:

There's a translation layer, and who knows how efficiently Microsoft coded it, but yeah you'd expect it to perform similarly to if you were running Linux natively. On the other hand, VMs can perform well too. Or so I've heard.

It's not so much a translation layer as another "personality" of the system. Windows NT has always supported multiple personalities through subsystems. The POSIX subsystem, its replacement the subsystem for Unix-based applications (SUA), and the OS/2 subsystem are the most well known alternatives to the main Windows API subsystem everyone knows. The new stuff is called "Windows Subsystem for Linux".

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

It's not so much a translation layer as another "personality" of the system. Windows NT has always supported multiple personalities through subsystems. The POSIX subsystem, its replacement the subsystem for Unix-based applications (SUA), and the OS/2 subsystem are the most well known alternatives to the main Windows API subsystem everyone knows. The new stuff is called "Windows Subsystem for Linux".

And the funny thing is that you're specifically not running Linux, the kernel, at all, when using WSL, you're just getting an ELF loader and a compatibility layer that looks like Linux from the outside.

Let's all congratulate Stallman on the best implementation environment for GNU/NT yet.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My mother tried to run the upgrade from 7 to 10 the other day, and it failed for whatever reason so it reverted back to 7.

I won't be able to get out there and do it for here before the 29th.

Is there any chance that the fact that she at least tried to do the upgrade already registered her hardware profile with Microsoft, and that a clean install will activate after the 29th?

(there's nothing I can do regardless so I'm more curious than anything else)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My mother tried to run the upgrade from 7 to 10 the other day, and it failed for whatever reason so it reverted back to 7.

Is there any chance that the fact that she at least tried to do the upgrade already registered her hardware profile with Microsoft, and that a clean install will activate after the 29th?

Pretty sure no. It doesn't activate until after installation.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Have her set up team viewer for you to remote into the machine.

Then turn off the automatic update service, delete C:\Windows\Software Distribution\ and turn Windows update back on.

Or, instead of using Windows update, just download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool to force an update manually.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

wolrah posted:

Actually, from what was posted before in this thread and another in the YOSPOS subforum, there's a whole lot of translation going on, because the NT and Linux kernel do a lot of things with a similar outcome a whole lot differently.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is Windows 10 backwards compatible with programs for Windows 7?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
%95 yes. That 5% being stuff like antivirus programs and super old stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I take it the ISO for 14393 will only be officially released on 2nd August?