Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

DigitalRaven posted:

Well, if we're doing it... All my self-published stuff is 25% off as well, except for the stuff that's already pay-what-you-want.

Æternal Legends, the game of magically-empowered modern fantasy heroes.

Æternal Legends in a bundle with Touched by Darkness, the supplement for adding werewolves, vampires, and similar stuff in place of (or as well as) the default elves, trolls, and so on.

BLACK SEVEN, modern espionage action in a tightly-focused RPG. Think Deus Ex, Alpha Complex, and similar video games in RPG form.

ANIMUS, an alt-history supplement for BLACK SEVEN set among the warring city-states of what is now Italy, including systems for sending modern agents back into memories of their past lives.

Grabbed Black Seven on a whim, curious how the stealth and positioning stuff works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lulu is doing a 30% off deal with promo code LULU30.

Some stuff worth looking at are the DCC RPG Reference Booklet, pretty much anything by Johnstone Metzger, Dyson Logos' books of maps, Black the Blackball's retroclones, and the Story Games Name Project.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lulu is doing a 30% off deal with promo code LULU30.

Some stuff worth looking at are the DCC RPG Reference Booklet, pretty much anything by Johnstone Metzger, Dyson Logos' books of maps, Black the Blackball's retroclones, and the Story Games Name Project.

I'll second the Story Games Name Projects, that thing has saved me so much heartache, and it's nice to be able to make all the names at the table sound like a similar culture!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also worth grabbing on Lulu: Encounter Critical.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DigitalRaven posted:

BLACK SEVEN, modern espionage action in a tightly-focused RPG. Think Deus Ex, Alpha Complex, and similar video games in RPG form.

You just made yourself a sale. You had me at "Alpha Protocol"

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Lightning Lord posted:

Do you have a favorite?

Regarding my own work? Well so far Death to Alignment is something I had the most satisfaction writing, in that I felt such a thing was necessary for Pathfinder and covered a lot of ground for gamers to actually delete it from their games without suffering unforeseen ripple effects. I also enjoyed showing off the ridiculousness of alignment via thought experiments, like how several inconsistent definitions throughout editions and elf favoritism make it far from an objective morality trope.

I'm currently working on a magic school hex crawl which will be the most comprehensive work to date once it gets released. So in time that book may eclipse Death to Alignment as my favorite, given the amount of love and labor I put into its creation.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 23, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

"Libertad!" posted:

I'm currently working on a magic school hex crawl which will be the most comprehensive work to date once it gets released. So in time that book may eclipse Death to Alignment as my favorite, given the amount of love and labor I put into its creation.

Magic school hex crawl is a good idea

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Ok, so seeing that the Dark Dungeons softcover is under fifteen bucks again, I'm going to hype it because the print version is loving enormous and easy to read and reference. It's not a lot of scratch and it's worth every penny. I'm probably going to pick up another one just to have copies to lend out.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Which is better, Dark or Darker Dungeons?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dark Dungeons is the more purist (but still not 1:1 reproduction of the) Rules Cylopedia. Darker Dungeons is houseruled/modified to clarify rules from the original, though I can't remember what those are off-hand. I'd recommend Darker Dungeons.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Darker Dungeons has ascending AC/BAB among other things, so definitely use that one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Darker Dungeons has ascending AC/BAB among other things, so definitely use that one.
Dark Dungeons changes to Target 20 + BAB, though, which is just about as good, plus you don't need to convert old adventures or supplements. It's kind of a retro-clone best of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned.

Darker changes Monks (mystics) into werewolves, and swaps the class features of (human) magic users and Elves, so those are YMMV.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 23, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's notable that neither Dark nor Darker Dungeons works particularly well as a retroclone of Rules Cyclopedia D&D. For some incomprehensible reason, they're missing the incredibly crucial timekeeping/dungeon turn clock system, aka what makes RC D&D actually work for dungeon crawling.

Because of that, the play style is very different at low levels. So they work fine for say the outdoor questing and longer adventures in the ECMI part, but fumble the B. Odd choice. I'd just grab Darker Dungeons because if it's different, it might as well have more changes to be better.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Uh, it's on page 130? Like if you roll wandering monsters, use the correct durations for light sources, and make searching take 10 minutes per square foot I'm not sure what you're leaving out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Uh, it's on page 130? Like if you roll wandering monsters, use the correct durations for light sources, and make searching take 10 minutes per square foot I'm not sure what you're leaving out.

Not sure which you mean, there's a dungeon delving chapter on page 120 of Dark Dungeons and 128 of Darker Dungeons. Neither of those are the same as the Game Day and Game Turn Checklists on page 91 of the Rules Cyclopedia. The latter are specific rules systems for how to run exploration that are missing from Dark(er) Dungeons.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My Angrymog games stuff are in the sale too.

Notably 'Percent in Lair: Giant Ants' - far more information than you ever thought you might need about giant ants, with stats adaptable to your favourite version of the Original Game.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8488/Angrymog-Games

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

Not sure which you mean, there's a dungeon delving chapter on page 120 of Dark Dungeons and 128 of Darker Dungeons. Neither of those are the same as the Game Day and Game Turn Checklists on page 91 of the Rules Cyclopedia. The latter are specific rules systems for how to run exploration that are missing from Dark(er) Dungeons.
Everything on that checklist is in Dark Dungeons somewhere, it just isn't in checklist form.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Angrymog posted:

My Angrymog games stuff are in the sale too.

Notably 'Percent in Lair: Giant Ants' - far more information than you ever thought you might need about giant ants, with stats adaptable to your favourite version of the Original Game.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8488/Angrymog-Games

11 variant ant types, two alternate colonies

:stare: loving what? loving cool.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Helical Nightmares posted:

11 variant ant types, two alternate colonies

:stare: loving what? loving cool.

Also an illustrated note on how to disguise yourself as an ant.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This week's Humble Book Bundle is World of Darkness.

I'm no expert on WoD, but I think this is oWoD? Or is this that new re-reboot they've done? https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vampire-masquerade-rpg-bundle

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Going by the cover art that's the old old version.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!
Yep, it's OWoD - the 1998 Vampire: The Masquerade Revised edition. This bundle's a damned good deal, and unlike the Pathfinder bundle everything downloaded in double-quick time straight away.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Those Ankh pins are pretty hard to come by, too. I picked it up mainly for that, but also because I never got any of the clan books.

Can't wait to see what the additional content is.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

moths posted:

Those Ankh pins are pretty hard to come by, too. I picked it up mainly for that, but also because I never got any of the clan books.

How does that work, you pick one or get all of them?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You get the two pins and all the PDFs. The bundle promises to add content later, which will most likely be additional PDF content and not physical goods.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Onyx Path have also put the Vampire 20th Anniversary editionon sale for $5.99, or in a bundle with:

• V20 Companion
• V20 Children of the Revolution
• V20 Dread Names, Red List
• Dust to Dust

For $14.99, not too shabby.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What's different between revised and V20?

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Not a lot systems-wise - they tweaked a few things, pulled in a lot of rules to one place that were split over many different books (like stacks of the disciplines), and made it fairly metaplot-agnostic.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

The core V20 book is basically the Best of Vampire the Masquerade. It's a gigantic book, full color art, with all the clans and bloodlines, most of the Disciplines and a metaplot neutral look at the setting, all in one place.

I think V20 rolled back a few mechanical changes from Revised like how Dodge works, but I'm not 100% on that front.

Companion is a book that includes a look at how vampire society works, how they interact with technology and some locations. It's kind of an FAQ book. Dust to Dust is basically an adventure set in Gary, Indiana of all places, which is a sequel to a 1e adventure. Dread Names, Red List is about the Red List, 13 vampires who are on the Camarilla's poo poo parade, plus it includes some Paths and thaumaturgy stuff. Also advice for running a campaign where the PCs are basically Camarilla cops. Children of the Revolution is about how to run Vampire games during periods of historical unrest, like the Anarch Revolt.

moths posted:

You get the two pins and all the PDFs. The bundle promises to add content later, which will most likely be additional PDF content and not physical goods.

Oh, I thought it was just like, a header for all the pins. I wouldn't mind if they threw in the clan pins...

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 28, 2016

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

V20 is Revised with twenty more years of balance changes, and everything all in one book instead of scattered across a hundred splatbooks. It's the same game, but with an overall improvement.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I was just going to get one of these 14.99 bundles, would you recommend the V20 one on DTRPG or the Humble Bundle one?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I was just going to get one of these 14.99 bundles, would you recommend the V20 one on DTRPG or the Humble Bundle one?

That's hard to say. The Bundle is spread out among multiple books, of varying quality, and some of the material in V20 is not included - some of the more obscure Bloodlines and Disciplines, for example. It does include the Book of Nod, which is an interesting in-universe artifact and can set a mood, but if you don't care about the whole vampire creation myth, it's not really that worthwhile.

I already have both, and I'm considering buying the bundle because of the charity angle and the pins, but both are good if you want to play VtM. V20 like I said is definitely a Greatest Hits collection in some ways.

BTW I found a summary of the changes between Revised and V20

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 28, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I suppose my goal is to get all of the rules/mechanics, and DM-facing material like enemies and a basic setting, and maybe one or two "adventures", if Vampire does that kind of thing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I suppose my goal is to get all of the rules/mechanics, and DM-facing material like enemies and a basic setting, and maybe one or two "adventures", if Vampire does that kind of thing.

Both include complete rules, stats for common enemies and setting, but V20 tries it's best to be metaplot free. Some changes that were made in Revised (the Assamites overcame a curse they were saddled with since the 1st edition, clan Gangrel left the Camarilla and the Ravnos were decimated) have been rolled back, but others have not for whatever reason, like all the members of the Gangrel offshoot Ahrimanes having vanished and the Sabbat Tremere are still destroyed. That's all easily ignored though. Also, most of the books that are metaplot heavy are not included in the HB bundle.

Vampire and published scenarios don't really go together that well - most of the ones that were actually put out by White Wolf are bad. The one in the V20 package, Dust to Dust, is more a loose collection of plot points that's a sequel to Ashes to Ashes, a 1e adventure. It's mostly a nostalgia thing.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 28, 2016

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I recommend V20 in that case; comprehensive with everything in one place, and pretty art and design.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Is there a good reason Dust to Dust is part of that DriveThru pack, aside from ostensibly being a scenario and part of the initial round of V20 offerings? I'm not saying it's bad per se, it's just of limited use to most players. Lore of the Clans would probably be the best fit in that slot. Rites of the Blood, Ghouls & Revenants, Anarchs Unbound, Hunters Hunted II and The Black Hand would all work better too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

I recommend V20 in that case; comprehensive with everything in one place, and pretty art and design.

I also recommend V20 for the same reasons. If you're going to be running the game, V20 so much easier than trying to go through a dozen different books.

If you just want background material for reading the Humble bundle package is probably a better choice for you. In terms of page count, adventure hooks, and worldbuilding concepts, you'll be getting more there.

Probably the best deal for beginners would be both the $15 level Humble Bundle and the $10 V20 core book. You can use the core book, then consult the HB books for further reading if anything catches your eye.

I don't think the other bundled v20 books are that useful for new players. Dust to Dust is an into adventure, Companion is a grab-bag of corner-case things like titles and technology updates, Red List is an NPC folio (the Red List is the vampire FBI's most wanted), and Children of the Revolution (I think) deals with the Anarch movement, which is surprisingly similar to an undead occupy wall street. It's good stuff for an extra $5, but largely redundant if you're getting the HB package.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

moths posted:

The pins are remakes, Onyx Path did them up for a kickstarter IIRC.

I think I've still got my Sabbat pins in a box somewhere. So much more fun than the Cam.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 28, 2016

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

How often does OBS do print sales/coupons? Seems it's always digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lightning Lord posted:

How often does OBS do print sales/coupons? Seems it's always digital.

Pretty much never due to overhead.