Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
One thing I really appreciate from Yukimura is that he took the time to have Thorfinn try full pacifism and try real hard to stay that way before having to resort to the form of pacifism typically show in media (batman and such). Because let's be honest you aren't really being pacifist when you're breaking bones and poo poo. It always felt kind of a cheap way to give a dude the moral high ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I know that Vagn and whatnot is from the actual sagas

But I just want Yukimura drawings of Constantinople :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope he goes way off historical script and has Vinland be a successful utopia. Don't want to see the dream crushed in the end.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Tea caddy time http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hyouge-Mono/Vol-005-Ch-047--Take-Me-Softly?id=287915

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gyges posted:

I hope he goes way off historical script and has Vinland be a successful utopia. Don't want to see the dream crushed in the end.

Yeah I've often wondered how he could possibly end this, because if we follow the sagas then it'd basically be "Welp. The End."

But I can't imagine he'd actually go with a utopia ending either.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gyges posted:

Isn't there a theory were the vinlanders eventually joined the local Natives? Like the Roanoke people?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't there a theory were the vinlanders eventually joined the local Natives? Like the Roanoke people?
This is the best hope for a happy ending for Thorfinn. Or I mean, a not "everything's hosed and it was all pointless" ending. The Norse settlement itself is obviously not gonna last, and that's gonna be really sad if Thorfinn's trying to make it work.

Hmm. The time frame is totally off by a century or so from the earliest estimates, but the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederation has in their founding story a mysterious peacemaker from the north who, with the help of a local chief, Hiawatha, came down and persuaded the tribes to stop fighting. And it worked. For hundreds of years there was peace between the tribes. (They still fought outsiders, but no one's perfect.)

To modern sensibilities it'd be a bit weird to have a white guy come down and teach the natives how to live, but it would give Thorfinn a lasting legacy of peace in this story. Though if we're sticking to vaguely real dates, it could work out to be Thorfinn's grandson or something, which would make them fairly native at that point.

I'm not sure I'd like that ending, but I just wanted to throw that out there in case it happens and in a decade or whatever I'll be able to go back to this post and say I called it.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Vinland Saga owns so much. I really don't understand people in the commentary section hoping for Thorfinn to mindless kill anybody again.

His non-lethal fighting owns, the scene where he takes a beating and says that he has no enemies at all is so much better than any murder spree. I could only see him killing someone now if it's absolutely necessary to save someone innocent.

I hope too, that they change a bit of history and give him a peaceful ending :shobon:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Comment sections are full of idiots, pedophiles, and future rape-murderers

I believe ad block can disable disqus, I suggest doing so

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Eiba posted:

This is the best hope for a happy ending for Thorfinn. Or I mean, a not "everything's hosed and it was all pointless" ending. The Norse settlement itself is obviously not gonna last, and that's gonna be really sad if Thorfinn's trying to make it work.

Hmm. The time frame is totally off by a century or so from the earliest estimates, but the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederation has in their founding story a mysterious peacemaker from the north who, with the help of a local chief, Hiawatha, came down and persuaded the tribes to stop fighting. And it worked. For hundreds of years there was peace between the tribes. (They still fought outsiders, but no one's perfect.)

To modern sensibilities it'd be a bit weird to have a white guy come down and teach the natives how to live, but it would give Thorfinn a lasting legacy of peace in this story. Though if we're sticking to vaguely real dates, it could work out to be Thorfinn's grandson or something, which would make them fairly native at that point.

I'm not sure I'd like that ending, but I just wanted to throw that out there in case it happens and in a decade or whatever I'll be able to go back to this post and say I called it.

Wiki posted:

Hiawatha was a follower of the Great Peacemaker (Deganawida), a Huron prophet and spiritual leader who proposed the unification of the Iroquois peoples, who shared common ancestry and similar languages. The Great Peacemaker was a compelling spiritual presence, but was impeded in evangelizing his prophecy by foreign affiliation and a severe speech impediment. Hiawatha, a skilled and charismatic orator, was instrumental in persuading the Senecas, Cayugas, Onondagas, Oneidas and Mohawks to accept the Great Peacemaker's vision and band together to become the Five Nations of the Iroquois confederacy. The Tuscarora nation joined the Confederacy in 1722 to become the Sixth Nation.

okay this would own if yukimura could pull it off

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Captain Invictus posted:

Comment sections are full of idiots, pedophiles, and future rape-murderers

I believe ad block can disable disqus, I suggest doing so

Ghostery does if Adblock can't.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Have to admit I am kind of disappointed that Thorfinn used violence but I suppose that's the kind of world he lives in.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

okay this would own if yukimura could pull it off

I'm going to be really disappointed now if that's not the direction Yukimura goes in.

Volume posted:

Have to admit I am kind of disappointed that Thorfinn used violence but I suppose that's the kind of world he lives in.

I had been feeling that this was going to be inevitable. Even if Floki wasn't a major dirtbag Thorfinn would be bound to end up in a situation where some innocents are being killed and the only way to stop it is to fight the aggressors off. I agree with what was mentioned above in that it was good to have Thorfinn try to be a legit pacifist first and have that fail, since it feels way better than having him just be generic media "I don't kill but I cause lots of pain and injuries" pacifist #4322.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 1, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, trying his method and moving to a different one after it didn't work is a good way to do it, especially considering how ruthless vikings are, he knows nobody will survive if he doesn't stop them.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Volume posted:

I thought it was really wonderful, primarily because it was highly reminiscent of his father, though I don't think he's realized it.

I would encourage anyone reading this to at bare minimum go back and read the flashback with his pops fight. It also helps to set the context for Floki because I'd honestly forgotten who he was our what he really did until I reread those parts.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
He's different from ""I don't kill but I cause lots of pain and injuries" pacifist #4322. " mainly because he's actively trying to create a place where people can get away from the cycle of violence, he just discovered that until then he can't ignore people suffering around him if he can do something, and he even tries to talk first, only resorting to violence as the last, utmost option.

Other generic pacifist are just fighting violence with less (or more honorable) violence. (And sometimes you get that pacifist character that goes full pacifism and does nothing, which is pretty bad too)

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I got what you want

I got what you need

Otoyome 57: It's Happening!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh Lord, how perfect and gentle this is, the world you have given us. :kimchi:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I love this duo so much. :3: :allears:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

JosephWongKS posted:

Oh Lord, how perfect and gentle this is, the world you have given us. :kimchi:

Is that quoted from somewhere else? I feel like I should know it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This is indeed so very fantastic and lovely. I just wanted to note how much I love Pariya's hair, though. All those braids. It's so cool-looking!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Pavlov posted:

Is that quoted from somewhere else? I feel like I should know it.

Dunno about that, but Pariya does thank god for the new and terrific post-smooch world she now embarks on, and I just kind of bibled it up a little because it sounds a little facetious without that touch of ceremony. Maybe I heard it somewhere once and forgot.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Oh you're the translator? No, I tried tracking it down and came up empty-handed. I was starting to suspect it was like, an arabic prayer translated into japanese then into english, but I guess you're just really good at getting that scripture-y feel.

Actually, while I'm seriousposting, half the reason I like this comic is the quality of its translation. There's a school of thought that says a good literary translation should add to the original work, because inevitably some nuance or context will be lost in the target language, and something else needs to take its place to preserve the quality of a work in addition to its explicit ideas. The translation of this comic is a pretty good example of that working well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the newest kingdom chapter http://reader.sensescans.com/read/kingdom/en/44/481/page/1

:captainpop:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Goddam Kanki :stonk:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Vinland Eyepatch Saga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-018-Ch-130--Baltic-Sea-War--006-?id=304988

This is a totally awesome, freaking cool chapter.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 25, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thorkell is present and so the chapter is Good.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

New Vinland Eyepatch Saga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-018-Ch-130--Baltic-Sea-War--006-?id=304988

This is a totally awesome, freaking cool chapter.

Eyepatch characters -- the moe-est. :swoon:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Last chapter of Vinland Saga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeeeOYDlAvY

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari 58: Date a girl who lifts

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I didn't think it could get more adorable than last chapter.

I was.wrong.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mm. Yes indeed. A strong, spirited girl like Pariya will be able to bear many healthy children! :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Sandman posted:

I didn't think it could get more adorable than last chapter.

I was.wrong.
Pariya is amazing when she manages to stop being nervous for a while. And they make a great couple :3:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pariya is also amazing at terrible jokes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love how Umar's face in every single panel of this chapter is basically "My girlfriend is awesome" :3:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Vinland Saga 131

be strong, thorfinn

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 24, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

areyoufuckingkiddingme.png

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Do it Thorfinn, kill dice head!

Or just tell the truth to Thorkell and he will chop Floki to pieces instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm enjoying Thorfinn's character arc a fair bit. The anger was really nice, and it's good that he hasn't just changed himself dramatically. I'm looking forward to more of this conflict.