Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

I think I've related this story before here, but -

At the gym I originally trained at, we had an open mat policy and tons of dudes used to float through doing sparring and rolling and etc. A little before I wound up leaving (moved south, commute was too much) we had a couple regulars who were active duty Marines. They were nice guys, in great shape. And I used to wipe the loving floor with them in sparring.

Fast forward to about four years later, when I was a purple belt at RABJJ. There was a guy training who was a TUF contestant, did okay on the show, went like 1-2 in the UFC afterwards and got cut to go pick up wins on smaller shows. We were similarly sized, so we wound up sparring a lot. It probably went like 60/40 in his favor; we had similar skill levels but he was a lot more athletic.

And at the time, it occurred to me - I would have beaten the living poo poo out of me-four-years-previous. And then I thought about the fact that an active duty, in shape Marine would probably clean up on most regular dudes. So then you figure how much better an active duty Marine is to regular dudes, and how much better me-four-years-previous was to me-purple-belt, and how much better TUF-contestant was to me-purple belt, and then how much better a ranked middleweight was to TUF-contestant, and then how much better Anderson Silva was to the ranked middleweights back then.

Like, it's pretty obvious Anderson Silva is a way better fighter than the guy on the street, but that put it into perspective for me - you have to be pretty good to even /understand/ just how /much/ better than the average guy on the street Anderson was. And that's the case for most dudes you see at the top echelon of fighting.

And that more or less is why I don't have a huge interest in competing at Worlds or Pans. We have other brown belts that go and compete at that level and they do OK. And they wipe the loving floor with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the insight Yuns. I've read both guys' posts and i dunno, seems not my place to pass any judgment, so i won't. One thing on John's post though, he measures the number of subs increasing. How does he do this? Extraction from a small sample? Guess work (doubt it)? Literally noting every sub? Would you mind sharing his methodology?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I believe he tries to note every sub he can. To discuss his level of knowledge, he obsessively watches every major grappling competition he can. For example, he has watched major judo competition for years and has tracked the breakdown of wins and could tell you percentage of ippons and subs and types of throws by percentage for the quarter, semi and finals. He does the same for BJJ. While it doesn't look like it, he is tracking everyone's performance in class even when it looks like he is distracted. One Christmas, he gave us "homework" by sitting us down and going over each of our games one by one and telling use what to work on. It was clear that he had been watching our games develop. Another fact about his teaching, he is obsessive about teaching stuff in a way that will work at the highest levels of competition. He'll explain how a move was taught traditionally and the benefits and limitations and show how world class competitors use a variant and why that variant works at the top levels while the traditional method does not.

As an side note, Odddzy has met most of the players in this drama when he visited us. He trained in John's morning class and I had him roll with Doug as well. Not sure if he met Mike at that time.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 23, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The reddit thread also brought up the myth of the mysterious Boris.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Boris is real. I'm "classicsteeze" on reddit. I didn't add this to the reddit thread but Boris was also a powerlifter with a dead of 700+ and a squat of 600+ on top of being a D1 wrestler and Danaher black belt. Boris actually started at Serra's years and years ago before moving on to the main Renzo academy and John. Boris was actually going to post in r/bjj but was worried that people would call him out for being fake. He did laugh and say the thread made him feel like "Chuck Borris"

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 23, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wow. Thanks dude

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm interested about hearing about the Boris guy, the stories sound awesome.

To chime in. Yuns presented a bunch of guys to me when I dropped in at Renzo's, when Doug was described by Danaher as an oak, he couldn't have been more right. The man was basically an impressive pile of muscle that could break me fifty ways but went for a very technical roll with me. It was basically a wasted ten minutes for him as I couldn't really make him work anything but he let me work and has shown me some very nice tips at the end of our roll. Very nice being. I haven't met Mike but I must say this whole drama thing is kinda pointless on a ''this isn't a serious issue'' kind of way.

I think it's strange how the BJJ internet community (not pointing fingers at SA though as I don't see many posts about fake blackbelts here) loves finding drama in things to pass the time instead of actually going and watch BJJ tape and roll. It's LITERALLY wasted time. I'm not one to judge and won't lose any sleep over this but for me, this instance of ''internet controversy'' has pretty much run it's course and both actors have good arguments for their actions, I'm of the opinion that ultimately they both had good reason to do what they did but it's ultimately not a big deal what Danaher did and under his perspective he was totally justified. He stuck by Doug.

The most jarring thing to me is why the gently caress the commentators would bring up the fact Danaher didn't shake the hand of someone OFF CAMERA. Before they even could bring it up they got interrupted and they still decided to talk about it, I hate poo poo-stirring just for the sake of it and god they suck for bringing up something like that. It's unprofessional and I really hope they get better, a stern talking to or replaced because as commentators, they should know better.

The one thing I'm disappointed about the most is how Doug kinda got hosed and I hope he isn't too sour about it. Yuns and Doug are a big part of the reason I want to make it back to NY this year as they gave me stellar treatment on my trip and i'm super grateful to them.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Reddit is so frustrating to read. The comment structure below every post is always like:

Legitimately funny comment
--much shittier joke riding that top comment to get exposure
----somebody dropping a movie quote that is even less funny than the second comment
------somebody else quoting a different part of that movie out of context
--------six more layers of people repeating irrelevant quotes from that movie and upvoting each other
----------sexist or racist comment that has downvotes but nowhere near as many as it should

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Odddzy posted:

I'm interested about hearing about the Boris guy, the stories sound awesome.

To chime in. Yuns presented a bunch of guys to me when I dropped in at Renzo's, when Doug was described by Danaher as an oak, he couldn't have been more right. The man was basically an impressive pile of muscle that could break me fifty ways but went for a very technical roll with me. It was basically a wasted ten minutes for him as I couldn't really make him work anything but he let me work and has shown me some very nice tips at the end of our roll. Very nice being. I haven't met Mike but I must say this whole drama thing is kinda pointless on a ''this isn't a serious issue'' kind of way.

I think it's strange how the BJJ internet community (not pointing fingers at SA though as I don't see many posts about fake blackbelts here) loves finding drama in things to pass the time instead of actually going and watch BJJ tape and roll. It's LITERALLY wasted time. I'm not one to judge and won't lose any sleep over this but for me, this instance of ''internet controversy'' has pretty much run it's course and both actors have good arguments for their actions, I'm of the opinion that ultimately they both had good reason to do what they did but it's ultimately not a big deal what Danaher did and under his perspective he was totally justified. He stuck by Doug.

The most jarring thing to me is why the gently caress the commentators would bring up the fact Danaher didn't shake the hand of someone OFF CAMERA. Before they even could bring it up they got interrupted and they still decided to talk about it, I hate poo poo-stirring just for the sake of it and god they suck for bringing up something like that. It's unprofessional and I really hope they get better, a stern talking to or replaced because as commentators, they should know better.

The one thing I'm disappointed about the most is how Doug kinda got hosed and I hope he isn't too sour about it. Yuns and Doug are a big part of the reason I want to make it back to NY this year as they gave me stellar treatment on my trip and i'm super grateful to them.

I agree - it's really annoying when people post a whole bunch of rambling words about something that doesn't affect them

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Reddit is so frustrating to read. The comment structure below every post is always like:

Legitimately funny comment
--much shittier joke riding that top comment to get exposure
----somebody dropping a movie quote that is even less funny than the second comment
------somebody else quoting a different part of that movie out of context
--------six more layers of people repeating irrelevant quotes from that movie and upvoting each other
----------sexist or racist comment that has downvotes but nowhere near as many as it should

I find myself just hiding everything except for the top-level comments until I find one that isn't a joke. Usually, it's still a poo poo-show. Between the comment weighting formula and non-linear comments it's literally impossible to have continuous discussion there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

That's so awesome! Don't rain on his parade. He'll learn eventually how easy everyone was going on him. This week I rolled with a whole bunch of white and blue belts. I normally roll with all brown and black belts with an occasional purple. I just turtled up against the white belts and let them take my back or do whatever they wanted since we were working turtle attacks this week. I was going less than 10%. If they got a grip or pulled a limb, I just went with it. I let one white belt twister me a couple of times to see if I could escape a fully locked on twister. I could escape but not every single time. Now, I wonder if he is going around telling everyone that he subbed a black belt with a twister. Well time to get some work in. I'll pick up the pace on these guys this week and see how they respond.

The only time I've been tough on a new grappler was once I mistook a white belt for a wrestler since he had a total wrestler build. I didn't want to gently caress around with a potential wrestler and opened our roll by full speed blast doubling him into the mat then locking on a hard submission. Felt bad when I realized that he was a white belt with like 9 months of experience.

This weekend I visited my friend's club for the no-gi class. Many of the dudes there had MMA experience, and they started a shark tank thing for the end of the day. I did alright held my own against most of the dudes there, but there was this one guy who I Roylered, Von Flued, and D'arced.

Talking to my friend afterwards it turned out it was the guy's first day :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is an outside triangle during an ankle lock legal/considered a leg reap in BJJ?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is an outside triangle during an ankle lock legal/considered a leg reap in BJJ?
Not 100% sure but should be ok so long at you don't turn inward on the ankle lock and don't twist the knee

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If you mean the 50/50 guard position, that's explicitly not a reap under IBJJF rules. It's only reaping if the foot crosses the hip from the outside in.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Man, I'm so over Bill Cooper

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Man, I'm so over Bill Cooper

Go on?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fatherdog posted:

If you mean the 50/50 guard position, that's explicitly not a reap under IBJJF rules. It's only reaping if the foot crosses the hip from the outside in.

Alright, thanks.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Just beat my team mate

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Also, he's walking around the arena in camouflage pants.

Tonnen just won via...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Just beat my team mate

Sorry for your loss. Bill is the man, known him since he was 16 or so.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Yuns posted:

I try to stay out of BJJ politics but it's irritating to hear people malign my friends and teammates. While we're not friends, I don't dislike Mike in any way. He made the best decision for himself and that's fine. I don't mind him defending himself either. He absolutely has a right to defend himself and tell his side of the story. But I hate the social media chorus who have no idea about and have never met any of the people involved who have strong opinions on how John should run his team.

People think they know John from just a few interviews and social media posts. They don't. He's not yoda. We know John as an actual person with strengths and faults and quirks of personality. John is extremely intelligent and thoughtful but can also be very blunt and critical. Training under John isn't a place for those who get their feeling hurt easily. If he doesn't think you're ready, he won't be shy about saying so. John also doesn't run his classes and competition squad like a cult. The average guy in his morning class is older and successful in many aspects of life not just BJJ. We all have strong personalities and our own opinions. Where we do trust John is in matters of jiu jitsu and fighting. When John says in his post subs went up 150% that's not a made up number. He actually tracks performance of the class qualitatively and quantitatively over time in an OCD way.

How does his class differ in comparison to the average BJJ gym? I'm curious how it's structured and how he responds to what his students are doing that his teaching at an affiliate gym improved their performance so well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Watching all of the EBI poo poo from #1. On EBI1 FW right now and that twister looked so painful that I had to post about it.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Yuns posted:

I believe he tries to note every sub he can. To discuss his level of knowledge, he obsessively watches every major grappling competition he can. For example, he has watched major judo competition for years and has tracked the breakdown of wins and could tell you percentage of ippons and subs and types of throws by percentage for the quarter, semi and finals. He does the same for BJJ. While it doesn't look like it, he is tracking everyone's performance in class even when it looks like he is distracted. One Christmas, he gave us "homework" by sitting us down and going over each of our games one by one and telling use what to work on. It was clear that he had been watching our games develop. Another fact about his teaching, he is obsessive about teaching stuff in a way that will work at the highest levels of competition. He'll explain how a move was taught traditionally and the benefits and limitations and show how world class competitors use a variant and why that variant works at the top levels while the traditional method does not.

As an side note, Odddzy has met most of the players in this drama when he visited us. He trained in John's morning class and I had him roll with Doug as well. Not sure if he met Mike at that time.

Does he do this sort of tracking for everyone from white belt to the elite guys? Also, do you train with Gino Einaudi? He was my first BJJ instructor when I was living in Connecticut.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Sprecherscrow posted:

Does he do this sort of tracking for everyone from white belt to the elite guys? Also, do you train with Gino Einaudi? He was my first BJJ instructor when I was living in Connecticut.
Gino is a good friend of mine and we've been training together for more than a decade since I was a white belt and he was a blue. Not a ton of white belts in John's class. You have to have at least 3 stripes as a white belt to attend and generally we recommend that you at least be a blue. John does track how everyone is doing in the class so he knows your progress but obviously his most serious focus is on the higher level guys and competitors. He'll give shout outside during rolling when you do things well and praise isn't just for the elite guys. That said he isn't going to be memorizing the game of every guy there for a drop in day visit. We're talking more about his regular students.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cup question because I'm an idiot and can't find any resources that help me out. Is the cup supposed to sit flush against the skin around the edges? I returned one that didn't and bought a different brand of cup today. I have the same problem with this one. When I have it on there's enough room in multiple places where I can stick a finger or two under the edge, and I'm worried that something is going to slip out and get pinched.

So far all of my online shopping for larger cups seems to indicate they're for much larger people than me (5'7" with a 31" waist). Any XL cups I've found are only available with like the 38"+ waist supporter and I figure that its going to be too wide for me. I'm just trying to not get my poo poo hosed up when rolling/sparring but I'm pretty clueless. Does anyone have a good recommendation? I had preferred to get one locally for ease of return, but it looks like I'm going to have to order something.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I don't use a cup. I still use a mouth guard thought...

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Yuns posted:

Gino is a good friend of mine and we've been training together for more than a decade since I was a white belt and he was a blue. Not a ton of white belts in John's class. You have to have at least 3 stripes as a white belt to attend and generally we recommend that you at least be a blue. John does track how everyone is doing in the class so he knows your progress but obviously his most serious focus is on the higher level guys and competitors. He'll give shout outside during rolling when you do things well and praise isn't just for the elite guys. That said he isn't going to be memorizing the game of every guy there for a drop in day visit. We're talking more about his regular students.

I remember the way Gino taught, constantly taking notes during the rolls and having a correction or 2 for everyone at the end of class, and assumed that he was emulating John as much as possible in teaching. But it occurs to me the classes at RGA Stamford were much smaller than anything going on at RGA NYC, so I wonder how much John can do that for every student. He seems fairly remarkable in that regard.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cup question because I'm an idiot and can't find any resources that help me out. Is the cup supposed to sit flush against the skin around the edges? I returned one that didn't and bought a different brand of cup today. I have the same problem with this one. When I have it on there's enough room in multiple places where I can stick a finger or two under the edge, and I'm worried that something is going to slip out and get pinched.

So far all of my online shopping for larger cups seems to indicate they're for much larger people than me (5'7" with a 31" waist). Any XL cups I've found are only available with like the 38"+ waist supporter and I figure that its going to be too wide for me. I'm just trying to not get my poo poo hosed up when rolling/sparring but I'm pretty clueless. Does anyone have a good recommendation? I had preferred to get one locally for ease of return, but it looks like I'm going to have to order something.

https://www.amazon.com/Jaco-Clothing-Guardian-Protective-System/dp/B0059EFUPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469382738&sr=8-1

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

JaySB posted:

Sorry for your loss. Bill is the man, known him since he was 16 or so.

Will he sign my camo shorts

Joking aside, it was a drat good match and the whole Fight To Win card was worth it.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 24, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The problem there is the cup looks to be the same size as the others I've bought here in town and won't sit flush on me.

Also what do you guys do for shorts? I've been looking for shorts without pockets but they're not easy to find locally. So far I have some board shorts that seem alright.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The problem there is the cup looks to be the same size as the others I've bought here in town and won't sit flush on me.

I'm your size (5'8" 155 lbs, 30in waist) and it fits me perfectly. The cup literally can't move because straps run through it that are velcroed to the shorts.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Wear compression shorts so that your big rear end dick and balls get compressed and can fit into a cup that fits your otherwise small body imo

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

WayneCampbell posted:

How does his class differ in comparison to the average BJJ gym? I'm curious how it's structured and how he responds to what his students are doing that his teaching at an affiliate gym improved their performance so well.
Class organization is as follows:
  • No warm up - we're all advanced grapplers who are responsible for warming ourselves up. The philosophy in the class is that we are not paying to learn to do sit ups.
  • Series of techniques - John has an introduction to a problem or issue or concept. John shows a technique involving that issue. Usually he only shows it twice so you have to pay attention. We drill that move. Then John shows a further technique building on that idea or principal or problem solution. We drill. He typically show 3 or 4 interrelated moves dealing with a principle. This takes about half an hour.
  • John will typically stay seated and watch the class. (This is a legacy from his hip injury) He will shout out correction or encouragement when someone does it perfectly. If the class is screwing up, he'll stop and demonstrate the common mistake. Sometimes he will walk the mats giving specific correction. The class is pretty advanced so we'll actually self correct a lot.
  • Free rolling - 4 rounds of free rolling. All rolls start from the feet with full take downs. He'll shout comments and instruction during rolling.
  • Post class - John will do one of 5 things. (1) End class, (2) Give a lecture on some important principle, (3) Do an additional take down series and drills, (4) Run a series of drills for the competition team guys, (5) Promote someone (almost never happens)

We'll usually be training before class as well as after class on our own.

Morning class attendance is usually between 30 to 50 with the composition if the class size is 50 about 10-15 black belts, 15-20 brown belts and the rest purples and blues with a few white belts.

The key difference isn't class structure but what he teaches.
  • principles and a framework for understanding BJJ as well as specific moves.
  • things that will work at the highest levels of competition.
  • change when techniques change and is constantly looking to make moves more effective and efficient.
  • incorporate from all types of grappling BJJ, wrestling, judo, sambo etc.
  • skill in everything from takedowns to sweep to subs etc.
  • absolutely demanding on having the fundamentals perfect.
  • strong emphasis on concepts such as kuzushi, control, submission etc.
  • work on progressive control leading to submission.
  • not just ability to submit but also have the ability to break limbs so we can deal with those who won't tap or will bear any pain.

Note that while John is a great teacher. He doesn't spoon feed you. He tries to teach to the level of the more advanced students and you are expected to keep up. Lots of people take notes. His classes build upon one another so taking class consistently is critical.

John also has very little patience for stupid questions. Asking a question that shows that you weren't listening is one of the worst things you can do. He is fine with thoughtful and intelligent questions.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 24, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

manyak posted:

Wear compression shorts so that your big rear end dick and balls get compressed and can fit into a cup that fits your otherwise small body imo

I've got a bunch of spandex underwear that I normally use when motorcycle riding and such that I need a bit more support. I've tried wearing those under the jock strap and cup, but its still not flush all the way around. I guess I'm going to just have to keep shopping around until I find something that fits.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm your size (5'8" 155 lbs, 30in waist) and it fits me perfectly. The cup literally can't move because straps run through it that are velcroed to the shorts.

The problem isn't so much the cup moving, but because it isn't flush bits are able to slide under it a little and I end up getting pinched.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
be honest - do you have an abnormally shaped crotch or some sort of swollen pubic mound?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hey now, please show Mr. Merrick some courtesy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

origami posted:

be honest - do you have an abnormally shaped crotch or some sort of swollen pubic mound?

There's nothing irregularly shaped that I know of. My d&b just doesn't all fit with the cup flush against me. Basically there's enough of a gap on the top of the cup where it isn't flush with my skin big enough I could fit a finger in it. If I push the top flush, the gap moves to the bottom. From what I understand the cup is supposed to be flush all the way around and snug. The shape is right, but i need just a tiny bit more room I think and I'm an idiot and have no idea what to do

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 25, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just don't wear one

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Yuns, thanks you for your insight and information about what it's like to train with Danaher and team.

Yuns posted:

John also has very little patience for stupid questions. Asking a question that shows that you weren't listening is one of the worst things you can do. He is fine with thoughtful and intelligent questions.

I now picture John as the crazy teacher from Whiplash. "NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!" (j/k, but the resemblance is uncanny!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
edit: didn't read to the end of the thread, someone already asked literally the same question