Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh, he did? That would explain it, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it's a rough life for gay boy nonpareil nagito komaeda

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lets hang out posted:

Mahiru and Natsumi were in photography club together in middle school, that's when the bullying happened. Sato attended the same school and knew about it but didn't do anything to stop it. Sato follows Mahiru to Hope's Peak as a reserve student. A few months into the school year Natsumi transfers to the reserve department and Sato finally decides to confront her about the bullying. Things get heated and Natsumi winds up dead.

That was never mentioned though. It was a nondescript school that was always talked about that they were in and there was no mention of Sato ever being part of the reserve class and the same goes for Natsumi. In fact if Fiyuhiko's in his first year then it makes no sense for his younger sister to be in this class and it also doesn't feel like it makes sense for the Danganronpa 1 cast to be the successive class to the Danganronpa 2 class. The game made it seem like they were two concurrent classes thr were completely separate from the reserve members too.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Baal posted:

That was never mentioned though. It was a nondescript school that was always talked about that they were in and there was no mention of Sato ever being part of the reserve class and the same goes for Natsumi. In fact if Fiyuhiko's in his first year then it makes no sense for his younger sister to be in this class and it also doesn't feel like it makes sense for the Danganronpa 1 cast to be the successive class to the Danganronpa 2 class. The game made it seem like they were two concurrent classes thr were completely separate from the reserve members too.

The fact that the SDR2 kids entered Hope's Peak one year earlier than the DR1 kids was established back in SDR2. That means they were concurrent for at least one year, though.

The Twilight Syndrome depiction of the events we're probably about to see in the series are obviously adapted by Monobear to fit the real Twilight Syndrome games style. Even back when I played SDR2 I assumed the basic events really did happen but the details were "dramatized", as it were.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hmm, I suppose. A lot of this just feels sorta weird, I guess.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

that double dragon bit was the best.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, I missed that Yu Yu Hakusho reference the first time around. The 100% of 100% line.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Baal posted:

I mean Junko was in the same class as her older sister.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

lets hang out posted:

They are twins.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Are Fuyuhiko and his sister not? Of course non-twin siblings can be in the same class too, it happens in real life.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lets hang out posted:

I thought Junko was the older twin.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

No, Mukuro's the older one.

It's really easy to tell, since twins in Japan use the same words to refer to each other that regular siblings do, and Japanese isn't big on the general, non-sequential word for "sibling".

Edit: Also, yeah - I guess the Kuzuryus could be twins. I don't think the game says one way or the other.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 22, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Junko's the younger twin. She just has a really sick hold on her older sister.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hate Junko Enoshima.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Junko is amazing, the deification of her was not.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Junko is cool

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think there are any Danganronpa villains I've been particularly crazy about, though I will give the series credit for actually having female main villains.

That being said, I do think Junko is best in small doses rather than the "IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, NAEGI" kind of thing they love doing with her where she corrupts basically everyone.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The buildup in Danganronpa is always better than the conclusion imo.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Baal posted:

Junko is amazing, the deification of her was not.

I like Enrico Pucci so I recognize the irony of this statement, however I cannot help but make it:

Wow, she really IS the Dio of this series.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Junko is life, Junko is love

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like Junko for being this mean fake girl no one in game really has a read on and who is just having a lot fun being the worst person. Like Junko is actually kinda funny? Constantly switching between a bunch of different dumb personalities that are versions of the main cast. Or in DR2 like instantly after the Future Foundation burst in to stop giant AI Junko and it's supposed to be this big hero moment, the first thing she does is throw shade at all of them and like imply Togami has a size fetish.

She's way more entertaining, in small does, than you would think The Most Evil 17 Year Old Ever would be.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

I thought Junko's motive and character being incomprehensible to any normal person was the point since Danganronpa is a series about learning to understand people and shes impossible to.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The Chiaki moments were good in this episode, but I felt like the episode itself was bad. There were fun moments, but the structure was horrible and it was a really weird one.

I'm also thinking that Chiaki being there will influence Nagito to go ahead with what we know is coming for him, but I also remember that the despairs all ended up sacrificing things they care about for Junko, I think? It's been a while. It makes me think that Chiaki might be Nagito's stepping stone for becoming an Ultimate Despair and it feels like that's the direction this is all going anyway. I could be terribly wrong in my interpretation though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

The Chiaki moments were good in this episode, but I felt like the episode itself was bad. There were fun moments, but the structure was horrible and it was a really weird one.

Welcome to the "Seiji Kishi is poo poo at his job" club.

Why can't we just have HHD season 2 :negative: First season was one of 2 things that Kishi ever did right.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I haven't read any of this thread except the OP to avoid spoilers. What order should I watch these shows in?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It seems the intention here is to watch the episodes as released, so it would be Future 1 -> Despair 1 -> Future 2 -> Despair 2. So far the stories themselves seem pretty self-contained but some info from one can bleed over into the other, like the confectioner mentioning the pharmacist having betrayed Hope's Peak in the past in Future 2, then Despair 2 reveals that the Pharmacist is collaborating or working together with Hanamura.

Edit: Basically the idea seems that both shows offer clues to the greater mystery going on.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Moltrey posted:

I like Junko for being this mean fake girl no one in game really has a read on and who is just having a lot fun being the worst person. Like Junko is actually kinda funny? Constantly switching between a bunch of different dumb personalities that are versions of the main cast. Or in DR2 like instantly after the Future Foundation burst in to stop giant AI Junko and it's supposed to be this big hero moment, the first thing she does is throw shade at all of them and like imply Togami has a size fetish.

She's way more entertaining, in small does, than you would think The Most Evil 17 Year Old Ever would be.

I can agree with this. Junko as a character is pretty entertaining, but Junko as a villian is more questionable, especially since she seems to just have these godly powers of being able to absorb other talents and hold gigantic influence over others. Stuff like that sounds way less realistic even in a game of already unrealistic things. DR1 probably had the best version of her overall because there was no other media yet to deify her.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So when Hinata gets the surgery, will his eyes turn from zeroes to ones?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Completely insane theory time: Komaeda is the mastermind behind Future Arc. It was a one in a million chance to wake up from the coma, and he did it thanks to his luck. He's very disappointed in the Future Foundation as they're supposed to be beacons of hope, and his plan to foster said hope through mutual killing has backfired.

Or it's just Junko again and Chisa is somehow Ryouko Otonashi and she faked her death who knows.

Hey, it's a Danganronpa thread. Nothing like busting out the old crackpot theories and pixel-hunts for old times' sake.

Either way, now I've had time to simmer down about the ending I'm definitely interested in seeing where the series goes and I really like the interlocking episodes format they're doing. I can see a lot of potential paths this series can take and I have high hopes for them. Still wish the blood was pink in Future Arc, though. Red blood just feels wrong.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
DR is hardly based in reality but I feel like it'd be unlikely to be Nagito. He wouldn't be doing much of anything with the kind of cancer he apparently has/d.

a cartoon duck posted:

turn the main twist into a meme so it's even better

To be fair I'm almost 100% certain that was unintentional, unless you meant during the DR2 LP. Then I dunno.

of all the probations and bans I've gotten, the DR thread one is the one I'm most ashamed of.

MattTheDoctor posted:

Either way, now I've had time to simmer down about the ending I'm definitely interested in seeing where the series goes

That's what really interests me. I'm not sure if the idea is for v3 to be in the same universe as DR1/2, but feature primarily new characters, or if it's supposed to effectively be a reset in a whole new setting with new rules and whatnot.

I assumed it was the former because otherwise it'd make ADG even more pointless and dumb than it already is but :iiam:

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Anatharon posted:

That's what really interests me. I'm not sure if the idea is for v3 to be in the same universe as DR1/2, but feature primarily new characters, or if it's supposed to effectively be a reset in a whole new setting with new rules and whatnot.

I assumed it was the former because otherwise it'd make ADG even more pointless and dumb than it already is but :iiam:

I don't think that V3 is going to be a total reboot of the series, its setting will probably follow off of what happens at the end of the anime.

There's two possibilities I can think of:

1. The DR3 anime will end with a time travel scenario where the despairing incident was successfully prevented (or ended up doing less damage than in the original timeline).

2. V3 takes place in the future post-DR3, after the world has recovered from the despairing incident.

In either case, the new school featured in V3 looks like it's some kind of prison school - I'm guessing this is a reaction to the despairing incident designed to prevent such a thing from happening again. Perhaps a separate school was established to house and rehabilitate the talented students with dangerous talents, or with histories of criminal behavior or mental instability.

I'm also guessing that some of the V3 characters will be the children of characters from the original saga - which is why we haven't gotten much more information on the V3 students. They wouldn't want to give away who survives the events of DR3, after all.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

MattTheDoctor posted:

Completely insane theory time: Komaeda is the mastermind behind Future Arc. It was a one in a million chance to wake up from the coma, and he did it thanks to his luck. He's very disappointed in the Future Foundation as they're supposed to be beacons of hope, and his plan to foster said hope through mutual killing has backfired.

Or it's just Junko again and Chisa is somehow Ryouko Otonashi and she faked her death who knows.

Given the events of Despair Girls (and the fact that the opening of the first episode references them), there's a good chance Nagito could have caused the future incident by saving Monica and influencing her to become Junko's successor

I'm curious to see what happened with Yukizome. Superficially, she seems to be relatively well adjusted in the future arc considering the entire class she was responsible for (plus the random Reserve student she hassled) became the Remnants of Despair that destroyed the world and who the Future Foundation have been trying to kill ever since.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't know whether to be pissed at the fake-out or happy.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well poo poo I really didn't expect that.

RIP Great Gozu, you fantastic man.

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

Slokir posted:

It does look like we know how but knowing Kodaka's writting it's probably a fake out of some kind, especially considering I'm pretty sure it shows everyone dying.

I hate being right. RIP Great Gozu, you were too good for this world.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Well, uh, gently caress.

I can't exactly take back the negative things I had to say about the first two episodes but this show finally got very, very compelling.

Pour one out for Great Gozu. You were too good for this sinful world. I seriously hope he shows up in Despair arc or something. Munakata got a lot more interesting in this episode and the others are coming into their own too but Gozu was truly the greatest.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 25, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm extremely loving disappointed. Asahina actually alive, Gozu dead? Come on, this is what I expected out of you from the beginning DR3, have the balls to actually shake it up!

Also Munakata is a boring villian and i hate him

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Munakata is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Munakata is an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread