Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Trent posted:

Totally explains why it's the only one that hasn't been renewed :smith:

:smith: :hf: :smith:

At least they got to do a musical number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

I have a huge crush on Krysten Ritter, but haven't gotten around to watching Jessica Jones yet and probably won't. Seeing Marvel movies in the theatre is one thing, but I don't think I can muster up the interest to watch any of the shows.

Anyway, I'm watching Stranger Things, and it's pretty great. However, I'm a massive pedantic music nerd, and at one point one of the characters, in a flashback no less, mentions The Smiths. The show is set in 1983, and their first album didn't come out until 1984. While they maybe released a few singles before that, I find it kind of doubtful that a poor high school kid in rural Indiana would have heard them. It's a tiny thing, but it bugs me, especially considering how spot-on the show generally is about period details.

I was wondering if they hosed up the timeline on those mix tapes and now we know. Still a great show.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

syscall girl posted:

I was wondering if they hosed up the timeline on those mix tapes and now we know. Still a great show.

I'm not quite sure how to put it into words, but I feel like the soundtrack in general is a little off. Most of the songs they use (Joy Division, The Clash, etc) are classics that were sort of ahead of their time and still sound good today. It just gives the whole thing a "Top Alternative 80‘s Hits" feel that's sort of... unsurprising, I guess? I prefer it when soundtracks throw obscure tracks/bands or really cheeseball/horribly dated poo poo in with the good stuff, it just makes it seem more period-authentic. Mad Men spoiled me in a lot of ways.

But yeah, the show is really good. That's honestly my only complaint, and I'm fully aware it's a really silly one.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Jul 23, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

hackbunny posted:

Didn't the movie reveal that he always was unstable though, and that his wife was absolutely right in divorcing him and getting custody of their daughter?

Yeah he was wasn't he. I vaguely remember it show in old home videos that he was quick to anger over trivial things with his wife and daughter.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Ravenfood posted:

It was supposed to be, but the writers didn't actually do any research on the drug they picked. Fentanyl (the parent drug that's far more common in hospitals) happens to be involved in a bunch of heroin overdoses at the moment, and sufentanil is iirc available as a transdermal patch in the US and is schedule II. My guess is that the writers googled "most powerful sedative" or w/e and went with that. So yeah, in comic-book land the drug was a surgery-only sedative, so not something dealers would even have. It was a pretty easy thing to just suspend disbelief for, tbh.

That reminds me of Dr. Octopus in Spiderman 2 having to break into a top secret government laboratory or whatever to steal like a gram of extremely dangerous and valuable TRITIUM ISOTOPE.
In reality, it's actually slightly easier to get a hold of than they let on.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Okay so this is going to be a weird one but in the new ghostbusters movie after the antagonist kills himself, he becomes a ghost right? Well after that he just magically knows the ghost busters' names. I don't think they say their names around him and I guess it's possible he knows the two who wrote that book from the book, obviously. But how the hell does he know who Patty and Holtzman are?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Okay so this is going to be a weird one but in the new ghostbusters movie after the antagonist kills himself, he becomes a ghost right? Well after that he just magically knows the ghost busters' names. I don't think they say their names around him and I guess it's possible he knows the two who wrote that book from the book, obviously. But how the hell does he know who Patty and Holtzman are?

He gets some part of the memories of people he possesses.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Also it could just be that he saw them on TV.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Nuebot posted:

I couldn't remember anyone else's names throughout the movie but I remembered Patty's because she's wearing it around her neck in bright eyecatching gold the whole time.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Alopex posted:

I couldn't remember anyone else's names throughout the movie but I remembered Patty's because she's wearing it around her neck in bright eyecatching gold the whole time.

He's also talked to Patty before, when she was working at the subway. And there's the whole "Is a ghost who followed them back to their office and probably heard them talk to each other at some point on the way" thing.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Something that has started to really bother me in movies and tv-series is the over abounded use of the foghorn sound when something dramatic and shocking happens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ162VDkyu0
By now it's like the wilhelm scream to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My IIMM with the Ghostbusters reboot is (not really a spoiler unless you NEED to go into movies cold: what the hell is the winged creature supposed to be the ghost of? Or are there just demons in the ghost dimension as well as regular spirits?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

What was Slimer a ghost of?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Atreiden posted:

He bothers me too, but at least he's vaguely humanoid.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
What was Casper like in life???

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Richie Rich, duh

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

What was Casper like in life???

Short lived.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Atreiden posted:

Belushi apparently.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Atreiden posted:

In the cartoon series there's plenty of supernatural nasties that were never human. Actually even in the original you've got hellhounds and a god so even there not all the things the ghostbusters take out are literal ghosts of dead humans.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In Stranger Things About halfway through the series the sheriff gets suspicious of the secret CIA government lab and breaks in. He assaults several people, and sees a ton of top secret stuff. He gets captured and knocked out, but they just let him go. Just dropped him off at home. No threats, no questioning, no nothing. Even let him keep his gun. In the rest of the series the bad guys have shown no hesitation in murder and kidnapping. They leave a single wire in his home, which is immediately found, so I thought they might be using him to find 11. But they make no effort to follow his movements after that. They're clearly surprised at how much he figured out when they recapture him later. It just seems like they staged this elaborate coverup, then did nothing to stop someone from investigating it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

In Stranger Things About halfway through the series the sheriff gets suspicious of the secret CIA government lab and breaks in. He assaults several people, and sees a ton of top secret stuff. He gets captured and knocked out, but they just let him go. Just dropped him off at home. No threats, no questioning, no nothing. Even let him keep his gun. In the rest of the series the bad guys have shown no hesitation in murder and kidnapping. They leave a single wire in his home, which is immediately found, so I thought they might be using him to find 11. But they make no effort to follow his movements after that. They're clearly surprised at how much he figured out when they recapture him later. It just seems like they staged this elaborate coverup, then did nothing to stop someone from investigating it.

Yeah, it really felt inconsistent. If they'd just sent someone Eleven hadn't actually met to collect her, they could have just walked out with her rather than killing the diner owner. Instead they killed him, and then...leave the sheriff alive after he knew much, much, MUCH more? They tried to discredit him by dumping him in his place with pulls everywhere to make it seem like he was a junkie but did they really think that would stop him given what he'd already found out? A group that happily kills some guy who literally knows nothing wouldn't let someone who knows a bunch of stuff go alive, and it really just felt like they wrote themselves into a corner and had to make up some unlikely reason for him to get out of there alive.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

In stranger things, what happened to the kids dog? It was there in the first 2-3 episodes, then it just isnt any more.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Trent posted:

The UT is a simple narrative device that makes no sense whatsoever in context almost ever, it's just a convenience that only matters at all when the plot calls for it to fail. Makes all the undercover poo poo they do totally stupid, as well. It just doesn't matter. If you must think about it, intent and context algorithms are probably super complicated and good, like the intent sensors that work the automatic doors.

Totally fits the thread theme, though, I must say.

Was there not an episode where Picard is stranded on a planet and can't grasp the manner in which people are speaking. He understands the words but the meaning is lost. That's a lovely translator that doesn't even give you the gist of what someone's saying

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

donquixotic posted:

Was there not an episode where Picard is stranded on a planet and can't grasp the manner in which people are speaking. He understands the words but the meaning is lost. That's a lovely translator that doesn't even give you the gist of what someone's saying

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

SiKboy posted:

In stranger things, what happened to the kids dog? It was there in the first 2-3 episodes, then it just isnt any more.

They only had a budget for a dog wrangler for the first three episodes.

algorithmkiller
Oct 24, 2010
There's been a murder. The cops don't care, they warn you off the case, but you press on. You investigate the crime scene, find new clues, stare at files you copied while the clerk was distracted. All nighters, bad coffee, threats, distance from your family, you are single minded in your pursuit of the killer.
The pivotal moment- it all clicks! The person you ruled out because he had no motive reveals himself as a sadistic serial killer, the grieving husband slips up and you see his grief is fake, you open a refrigerator and find a head...
After keeping yourself together and being the only one smart enough to figure it out, you know you've got the evidence, it's over, you did it- you immediately turn to the killer and tell him you know it was him, you have him dead to rights!
Alone in a isolated house. With no cell service. And no car.
While he's holding a cleaver.

No. No. Why? Be polite, make your goodbyes, get to a police station. Was he going to congratulate you for outsmarting him and offer you a ride to the station?
At least don't look surprised when he immediately tries to kill you- you know he's a murderer, you just said it out loud for fucks sake!
No. God it infuriates me. gently caress you, you get murdered, he gets away with it because no else gives a poo poo, you failed.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

algorithmkiller posted:

There's been a murder. The cops don't care, they warn you off the case, but you press on. You investigate the crime scene, find new clues, stare at files you copied while the clerk was distracted. All nighters, bad coffee, threats, distance from your family, you are single minded in your pursuit of the killer.
The pivotal moment- it all clicks! The person you ruled out because he had no motive reveals himself as a sadistic serial killer, the grieving husband slips up and you see his grief is fake, you open a refrigerator and find a head...
After keeping yourself together and being the only one smart enough to figure it out, you know you've got the evidence, it's over, you did it- you immediately turn to the killer and tell him you know it was him, you have him dead to rights!
Alone in a isolated house. With no cell service. And no car.
While he's holding a cleaver.

No. No. Why? Be polite, make your goodbyes, get to a police station. Was he going to congratulate you for outsmarting him and offer you a ride to the station?
At least don't look surprised when he immediately tries to kill you- you know he's a murderer, you just said it out loud for fucks sake!
No. God it infuriates me. gently caress you, you get murdered, he gets away with it because no else gives a poo poo, you failed.

Corollary: We work in a high tech lab. I've decided not to give you that promotion/take credit for your work/ fire you. I will inform you of this as we walk among the guns/chemicals/monsters. I will then proceed to start gloating as you begin to run your hands over the extermely dangerous thing we created. Wait. Why am I suddenly dead?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Atreiden posted:

Any person from New Jersey.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

algorithmkiller posted:

In pretty much the same vein:

Idiot: *explains entire conspiracy to person they think they can trust*
Person who is obviously in on it: "Have you told anybody else about this?"
Idiot: "No" *gets murdered brutally*

Bonus points if their explanation of the conspiracy included the phrase "we can't trust anyone". :v:

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
That line in The Abyss.

"..she wants to live... can't you see that?"

Like, ya know, the other people who died were suicidal emo kids.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nuebot posted:

Assume he talked to their dead relatives or something. He's a ghost, it's gotta make sceances a lot easier when you're already dead.

Here's what bugged me about that film (aside from the fact that you could see the screenwriters moving down the checklist of Callbacks to the First Movie, just throwing in bit after bit that existed solely to reference the first film but which was neither necessary or done as well as the first film did it (Like, okay, you have another giant monster that tears the city apart, sure, but the Stay-Puft man was both done with a much better and funnier reveal and mattered in a way that this one didn't. It was "oh, ho-hum, a big monster, on to the next scene." He even wanders way the hell down the block while the GBs are trying to fix things instead of just trying to crush them straight out.): towards the end, the bad guy does the schtick where he asks the GB to pick what form they'd like him to take (Another item from the checklist), and briefly turns himself into the Ghostbusters logo of the cartoon ghost in the slash-circle. Why would he pick that? They don't actually use it as their corporate logo at any time in the film (unless I missed it), the only time it shows up is as a throwaway gag earlier in the movie where all but one of the characters ignores it and it's never seen again.

That said, while this film wasn't a masterpiece by any means, it wasn't awful, and it was visually gorgeous. It's so nice to see a vibrant palette instead of desaturated drabs and blues and oranges like in just about every other movie made today. And since it's all ghosts, it doesn't suffer from the standard CGI failing of having all these objects flying around and crashing into things but having no *weight* to them. Great effects.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The logo is on their car for the whole second half of the movie, isn't it?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Pilchenstein posted:

In pretty much the same vein:

Idiot: *explains entire conspiracy to person they think they can trust*
Person who is obviously in on it: "Have you told anybody else about this?"
Idiot: "No" *gets murdered brutally*

Bonus points if their explanation of the conspiracy included the phrase "we can't trust anyone". :v:

Alternatively the hero can explain that the only other person that knows is their wife, girlfriend, or mentor.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Henchman of Santa posted:

The logo is on their car for the whole second half of the movie, isn't it?

Yes, Holtzman even comments that it'd be a cool logo or something and takes a picture of the graffiti the guy left behind when everyone else walks past. Then it's just there on their car. After they capture the dragon ghost thing the antagonist guy is in the diner drawing an angry version of it, similar to the one he turns into, on a napkin or something.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!!

What the gently caress did you just call me you oval office?

Oh wait sorry you're coming on to me, carry on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Alternatively the hero can explain that the only other person that knows is their wife, girlfriend, or mentor.

Or "you didn't count on THIS!"

*plays tape recording*

"This just got mailed out the NYT, the Washington Post and the president of the united states."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nuebot posted:

Yes, Holtzman even comments that it'd be a cool logo or something and takes a picture of the graffiti the guy left behind when everyone else walks past. Then it's just there on their car. After they capture the dragon ghost thing the antagonist guy is in the diner drawing an angry version of it, similar to the one he turns into, on a napkin or something.

Well, there you go. My fault, but on the other hand this isn't the kind of movie you go to while sober.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Or "you didn't count on THIS!"

*plays tape recording*

"This just got mailed out the NYT, the Washington Post and the president of the united states."

No, no. That still gets you killed. What you need is:

*plays tape recording*

"If I'm not at an undisclosed location in an hour a copy of this will get mailed out the NYT, the Washington Post and the president of the united states."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

"Well listen to THIS!"

*plays tape recording*

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

"Oldpainless, at PYF"