Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Elmnt80 posted:

Kratom could meet that requirement. When it first started appearing in the us, some juice bars were mixing it into smoothies as a healthy additive.

"Natural" remedies != homeopathy. Kratom is an actual opiate and will get you nodding off if you take it. Homeopathy is always, now and forever, pure placebo bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Homeopathy is about taking poison, but since they don't want to sell actual poison as health care, they sell water that they claim once had poison in it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What I'm hearing is if I did start selling homeopathic heroin they couldn't even get me for drug dealing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

My Lovely Horse posted:

What I'm hearing is if I did start selling homeopathic heroin they couldn't even get me for drug dealing.

Are you telling people it's heroin? Are they buying it because they think it's heroin? You can still go to jail, just like if you sold a baggie full of baking soda under the same conditions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jail+for+selling+fake+heroin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Are you telling people it's heroin? Are they buying it because they think it's heroin? You can still go to jail, just like if you sold a baggie full of baking soda under the same conditions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jail+for+selling+fake+heroin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Well homeopathic heroin would be marketed as a baggie full of baking soda that has ~astral memories~ of being kept next to a baggie of baking soda that had been kept next to a baggie of street heroin. Use as needed for excessive drowsiness and sleep apnea.

E: the manufacturer claims to have thrown out the original heroin, they've moved on to making extra strength homeopathic heroin by charging baggies next to regular strength homeopathic heroin.

Abyssal Squid has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Jul 25, 2016

Angus McAWESOME
Mar 18, 2011
I just binge read this thread, Gents. I've got to ask, how in the unholy blue gently caress do those of you that work with some of the compounds mentioned her work with that stuff anf retain your sanity? Your health, I understand that's kinda achieved through safety protocols, but knowing you work with poo poo that can kill you dead in nasty ways from mere seconds to years....

I'd run screaming from half the poo poo you guys talk about, yet some of you work around it daily like it ain't no thang...

How? Do you just trust in your educations and professionalism? Have balls of solid Iron? What?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

short answer is humans are really really good at growing accustomed to things

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angus McAWESOME posted:

I just binge read this thread, Gents. I've got to ask, how in the unholy blue gently caress do those of you that work with some of the compounds mentioned her work with that stuff anf retain your sanity? Your health, I understand that's kinda achieved through safety protocols, but knowing you work with poo poo that can kill you dead in nasty ways from mere seconds to years....

I'd run screaming from half the poo poo you guys talk about, yet some of you work around it daily like it ain't no thang...

How? Do you just trust in your educations and professionalism? Have balls of solid Iron? What?
A background in chemistry often starts with thermodynamics, which is the scientific codification of why nothing really matters.

e. To expand on that you either come out of learning the finer details of thermodynamics with either deep seated nihilism or the desire to give the finer points of thermodynamics the middle finger by creating exotic things with shape and form, both of which are highly compatible with or even encourage seeking out nasty chemicals.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Jul 25, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I got out of chemistry before it was too late.

And even before that, I mostly worked with innocent compounds. Actually, most chemistry research happens with compounds that are kinda tricky if you don't understand basic safety, but don't have any risk if you do, and not many people study the compounds this thread is about.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

not many people study the compounds this thread is about.
The lack of a self preservation instinct is a rare trait.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's certainly not one that encourages getting passed on.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

zedprime posted:

A background in chemistry often starts with thermodynamics, which is the scientific codification of why nothing really matters.

e. To expand on that you either come out of learning the finer details of thermodynamics with either deep seated nihilism or the desire to give the finer points of thermodynamics the middle finger by creating exotic things with shape and form, both of which are highly compatible with or even encourage seeking out nasty chemicals.

To expand even further blink hard near your nitrogen hell molecules.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I have balls of Teflon to protect against the HF.

Really you get used to it but never complacent. Complacency gets you killed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I did a summer internship at a plant that manufactured COCl2 (Phosgene), it's used as a precursor for isocyanates which is what you make polyurethane out of. I haven't posted anything about it in this thread because nothing horrific happened, we kept poo poo under control and never got complacent with it. That stuff will gently caress you up if you're not careful, but if you are it's just a day at work.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Having the thought "what you're doing wants to kill you in horrific ways worthy of medical journals" always in your head really helps.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DemeaninDemon posted:

I have balls of Teflon to protect against the HF.
That's kind of a funny thing to say since HF synthesis predated (and is a precursor to) teflon by who knows how much because its always been an important component in glass etching acid.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Having the thought "what you're doing wants to kill you in horrific ways worthy of medical journals" always in your head really helps.
That's why I'm not a truck driver.

But really I get what you're saying and while stuff like dimethyl mercury, explosives accidents, or the latest marquee CSB video report are dramatic, the real tragedies that tend to make chemistry industry worker's life expectancy plummet is how its just super hard to characterize effects on humans without just looking back and going hmmm that's a funny causal commonality. Stuff like "oh my bad Scotchgard is loving awful for workers and consumers", or the crazy poo poo that replaced asbestos and lead to kid's clothing in the 70 being fireproofed with some nasty poo poo cause hey its not asbestos, should be fine.

Or gently caress, popcorn lung. That's an embarrassing chronic illness.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Really you get used to it but never complacent. Complacency gets you killed.

Respect the horrible chemicals you work with, but do not fear them; fear is the mind-killer, &c.

Cf. soldiers -- "one of us is gonna die and it goddamned better be the other guy," is how they rationalize it. But my pa calls the VC he fought against "Mister Charles, " because Victor Charlie earned his respect, y'dig?

Edit: also my college chem 101 prof told us a stdh story: when she was a grad student, some of the TAs cleaned out the chem lab storage room. They found a chunk of sodium the size of a housebrick, and decided to dispose of it by tossing it in the campus pond (any good university has a duck pond), and the resulting explosion blew out all the windows of the science building and caused my future teacher to gently caress up the titration lab she was working on.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Jul 26, 2016

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

zedprime posted:

It's like a lifetime of smoking asbestos-filtered Kents, but from sniffing the fake butter flavor of your microwave popcorn! All the lung damage with none of the fun! It's mainly a factory workers' disease just like coal miners' lung, but there's at least one end user who got it, lol.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zedprime posted:

That's kind of a funny thing to say since HF synthesis predated (and is a precursor to) teflon by who knows how much because its always been an important component in glass etching acid.

That's why I'm not a truck driver.

But really I get what you're saying and while stuff like dimethyl mercury, explosives accidents, or the latest marquee CSB video report are dramatic, the real tragedies that tend to make chemistry industry worker's life expectancy plummet is how its just super hard to characterize effects on humans without just looking back and going hmmm that's a funny causal commonality. Stuff like "oh my bad Scotchgard is loving awful for workers and consumers", or the crazy poo poo that replaced asbestos and lead to kid's clothing in the 70 being fireproofed with some nasty poo poo cause hey its not asbestos, should be fine.

Yeah getting the fluorines onto my balls was a nightmare.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Delivery McGee posted:

It's like a lifetime of smoking asbestos-filtered Kents, but from sniffing the fake butter flavor of your microwave popcorn! All the lung damage with none of the fun! It's mainly a factory workers' disease just like coal miners' lung, but there's at least one end user who got it, lol.

Give us a couple decades of unregulated vaping industry and see if we can't turn that workers' disease into a common one

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Delivery McGee posted:

Respect the horrible chemicals you work with, but do not fear them; fear is the mind-killer, &c.

Cf. soldiers -- "one of us is gonna die and it goddamned better be the other guy," is how they rationalize it. But my pa calls the VC he fought against "Mister Charles, " because Victor Charlie earned his respect, y'dig?

Edit: also my college chem 101 prof told us a stdh story: when she was a grad student, some of the TAs cleaned out the chem lab storage room. They found a chunk of sodium the size of a housebrick, and decided to dispose of it by tossing it in the campus pond (any good university has a duck pond), and the resulting explosion blew out all the windows of the science building and caused my future teacher to gently caress up the titration lab she was working on.

What, you mean they don't do that as a demo for the freshmen at every college?

(Not a big enough piece to cause structural damage, but we all sure did get splashed. And kept finding little smoking fragments next to the path as we walked back to the dorms)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The thing about working with satan's friendly home cooking ingredients on a daily basis is that you are aware that it will kill you in certain nasty ways if you gently caress around, so you don't gently caress around. In contrast, you have Joe Fuckstick trimming his hedge every month with a giant rotating cutting tool and not wearing eye protection because he has no clue how twigs + velocity = your face gets murdered.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vando posted:

The thing about working with satan's friendly home cooking ingredients on a daily basis is that you are aware that it will kill you in certain nasty ways if you gently caress around, so you don't gently caress around. In contrast, you have Joe Fuckstick trimming his hedge every month with a giant rotating cutting tool and not wearing eye protection because he has no clue how twigs + velocity = your face gets murdered.
You're kidding yourself if you think the average post grad assistant isn't doing the chemistry lab equivalent of Joe Fuckstick's hedge trimmer. College chemistry labs are notoriously on the bad side of OSHA and environmental agencies. There's been some fairly major crackdowns in the past 10-20 years where agencies or the board have finally said get your poo poo together.

Its usually being complacent with the less flashy stuff, but as mentioned you're still sort of pickling your body in those cases.

Speaking of I met a college biology lab manager who found everything lab rehabilitation warns you about while moving from building to building on campus. Old picric acid, check. Old ether, check. Random unlabeled dissolved nuclear reference, check.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

zedprime posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think the average post grad assistant isn't doing the chemistry lab equivalent of Joe Fuckstick's hedge trimmer. College chemistry labs are notoriously on the bad side of OSHA and environmental agencies. There's been some fairly major crackdowns in the past 10-20 years where agencies or the board have finally said get your poo poo together.

Not where I studied. You weren't allowed to even enter the lab before completing a safety training and doing a test, and after that supervisors would keep an eye on you while you were in the lab, and if you did anything that wasn't to procedure, it could get you kicked out of the lab - or kicked out of university if it was real bad.

People were serious about this poo poo, so none of my fellow students ever hosed around in the lab.

On top of that, they didn't let undergrads touch the real dangerous stuff. The most dangerous thing I worked with during that time was liquid anhydrous ammonia, and even though I already had a year and a half of lab experience, the teacher wouldn't let me touch it. Instead, I set up the glassware so it was proper and airtight, the supervisor checked my set-up thoroughly, then told me to stand back, and connected the ammonia tank himself. Then he told me to not touch anything, call him right away if anything unusual happened, otherwise he'd come back to disconnect it once the reaction was done.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A White Guy posted:

Really, if want endless drug comedy, TCC isn't that great. Goons are actually pretty chill and knowledgeable about how to safely use drugs. All the gun-ho "Let's try this brand spanking new RC!" are either dead, in jail after having a drug-induced freak out, or stopped posting altogether. Bluelight is better for your drug comedy.
The first thread I read in TCC was a guy asking for help identifying a pill he found on the floor at his grandmother's house then crushing and snorting it when nobody could ID it in the first few minutes. I forget which, but it was either blood pressure or cholesterol medication.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not where I studied. You weren't allowed to even enter the lab before completing a safety training and doing a test, and after that supervisors would keep an eye on you while you were in the lab, and if you did anything that wasn't to procedure, it could get you kicked out of the lab - or kicked out of university if it was real bad.

People were serious about this poo poo, so none of my fellow students ever hosed around in the lab.

On top of that, they didn't let undergrads touch the real dangerous stuff. The most dangerous thing I worked with during that time was liquid anhydrous ammonia, and even though I already had a year and a half of lab experience, the teacher wouldn't let me touch it. Instead, I set up the glassware so it was proper and airtight, the supervisor checked my set-up thoroughly, then told me to stand back, and connected the ammonia tank himself. Then he told me to not touch anything, call him right away if anything unusual happened, otherwise he'd come back to disconnect it once the reaction was done.
You should count yourself fortunate for going somewhere that cared, because its not quite the norm yet.

This is a pretty good relatively recent account of the general state of academic labs if anyone is interested. One of the relevant stats from OSHA comparisons is you are 11x more likely to get injured in an academic research lab than an industrial research lab.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I've also heard stories of some guy going blind as a result of interpreting "eyeball a dose" as "put the dose in your eye".

AFAIK, one dumb dude in a phenazepam thread posted something like this:

"What's eyeballing mean? Do I just jam it under the lid? I don't usually take drugs with my eyeballs."

The response was a resounding "no, you loving idiot, it means 'estimating the dose by sight'."

It has since become SA legend that he, like, actually jammed a heinously powerful benzo into his eye. He didn't post in the thread again after asking his dumb question, so there's no evidence either way.

But as far as his posting shows, he did not jam phenazepam into his eye, nor did he go blind from doing so. (And no one ever did so much acid that he thought he was a glass of orange juice, either.)

Guesstimating a phenazepam dose by sight is still phenomenally stupid, and was how multiple people ended up blacking out for days on end.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shelley posted:

Guesstimating a phenazepam dose by sight is still loving hilarious

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

zedprime posted:

That was generally consistent with my undergraduate lab experience. We finally had to clean things up after a different lab had an explosion that ruined several labs. While outside when the fire department was responding to that incident, two professors convinced a local reporter that I was a brand new assistant prof. I was 20 years old. Good times.

Really enjoying this thread, things that go FOOF are related to my professional interests, but alas, cannot really discuss.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

shelley posted:

Guesstimating a phenazepam dose by sight is still phenomenally stupid, and was how multiple people ended up blacking out for days on end.
Oh, it was far too powerful to dose by sight. What someone explained he did was take a dry toothpick and dip it 1cm into the powder then lick off whatever stuck and bam that was your dose

a somewhat more sane person dumped a very very small amount into something like 2L of propylene glycol to dilute it and then used small amounts of that to dose. Unfortunately it wasn't soluble in much, that was the best liquid he found.

The REAL problem is you're so blasted out of your mind that every inhibition vanishes and everything sounds like a good idea so "I'm having a good time, it'd be fun if this lasted longer" and so you just dose again without a second thought

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Jul 27, 2016

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
that and that it has an incredibly long half-life in the body.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

r/Drugs

The drug that ruined my life... in two weeks.

u/benjiii1043d, 5h

Edit: Hello everyone. Thank you for your responses! To clarify any confusion, this happened almost five months ago, and I was in a PHP (partial hospitalization program) treatment group up until two weeks ago when I graduated. I am now receiving one-on-one therapy through my college (which I am back at, full time). Best wishes :)

http://i.imgur.com/uPhezGI.jpg

I read all the horror stories regarding phenazepam before I purchased it. "Such irresponsible drug users," I thought to myself. My ex-boyfriend and I bought a gram of lab-tested, 99% pure, powdered phenazepam online in April 2013.

If you're not familiar with it, phenazepam is a benzodiazepine analogue. It exhibits similar effects. Anxiolytic, loss of inhibition, coordination issues, amnesia. It is ridiculously potent. In the above picture, there is the equivalent of 10,000 10mg Valium tablets. Not only that, but effects after sublingual dosing cannot be felt for at least one and a half hours, up to four. My ex and I both took around 3 hours. However, even then, we didn't really FEEL high. This made repeated-dosing seem like a great idea. To top it all off, we weren't weighing it. I read a post that recommended dipping a dry toothpick into the bag and placing it under the tongue. So that's what we did. Three times a day. Everyday. For two weeks.

What were some of the consequences?

I was fired from my job for screaming, "Who the gently caress cares where I put the drink? This is McDonalds."

I walked into my local Walmart, picked up a $150 airsoft rifle, and strolled out. The alarm went off, so naturally, I took off like a bat outta hell and didn't look back. I'm just assuming I'm not welcome there anymore, but I'm not going to test the waters.

I rear-ended my high school sweetheart's mom's brand-new Prius. With my current boyfriend in the car. Yeaahhh.

I received a $520 speeding ticket in Massachusetts. My license is still suspended there.

I fell asleep at the wheel (ex in the car with me) in Vermont at 4 am, destroying a fire-hydrant and some elderly woman's fence. I fled the scene, but my front plate fell off. The state police showed up at my house in Connecticut while my family was still asleep, unaware I was even gone. I got a call from the Brattleboro PD a couple hours later. They let me turn myself in, thankfully. Earlier the same night, Ryan and I climbed out a second-story window to escape my mother. She was threatening to send us to detox. So, we fled to VT.

I also stole a 45-year-old bottle of wine in Brattleboro as a gift for my mother. No, she wasn't any less mad. She called the police, and they took me to a hospital where I was held until she could get there. I was then brought straight to detox in Connecticut.

When my father found my stash of phenazepam, he thought it was cocaine. He rubbed a finger-full onto his gums. An hour later, my brother found him in front of a frying pan, with the stove on high. It contained a loaf of bread still in the bag. My brother called 911 after my dad asked him if he wanted any eggs. During a 3-day stay in the hospital, my father successfully escaped. Ripped out the IV and walked out. He was picked up by some staties that he used to be on the force with. He was also caught standing on a sink, trying to, "escape through the air vents." Thankfully the staff were able to talk him out of it without sedating him.

I took a medical leave from college, so I didn't receive any credit for my classes. Thousands of dollars down the drain.

My short-term memory is still not 100%. I have to write EVERYTHING down, or I'll forget.

I wouldn't recommend anyone even try phenazepam (especially in powder form), unless you are under constant supervision of a knowledgeable, responsible, sober person. I am a seasoned drug user, and so far, this substance is the only one of dozens that I have sworn off.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

shelley posted:

"What's eyeballing mean? Do I just jam it under the lid? I don't usually take drugs with my eyeballs."

My favorite eyeballing story... from Erowid:

quote:

Don't Get Any in Your Eyes
Datura by Oops
Citation: Oops. "Don't Get Any in Your Eyes: An Experience with Datura (ID 108830)". Erowid.org. Jul 20, 2016. erowid.org/exp/108830

DOSE: ocular Datura (ground / crushed)

BODY WEIGHT: 215 lb

So I sell Datura seeds online, I was blowing the debris off some seeds, with my eyes closed. Yet a tiny flake of leaf still managed to make it into my eye. thinking nothing of it I rubbed it out of my eye. Then about 20 minutes later it felt like it was still in there, I went to the mirror to see if I could find it. poo poo the joke was on me, my pupil was fixed and dilated.

Forgetting what had been in my eye (probably because I was three quarters of the way through a joint), I panicked and started surfing for causes, most seemed like really bad poo poo, then I noticed mind-altering substances was a cause and the leaf dawned on me.

As I started to calm down it started to sneak up on me within 3hrs I peaked I was high as gently caress. It was like a mushroom high without hallucinations, I came down about a few hours later. It has been 12hrs now and my pupil is still huge, I've read that when ingested it can take quite a while for your pupils to go back to normal. Which begs the question; how long for a dose in the loving eye? And yeah this is my first experience.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

When my father found my stash of phenazepam, he thought it was cocaine. He rubbed a finger-full onto his gums.
This, for many reasons, is the best.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

zedprime posted:

Its usually being complacent with the less flashy stuff, but as mentioned you're still sort of pickling your body in those cases.

Speaking of I met a college biology lab manager who found everything lab rehabilitation warns you about while moving from building to building on campus. Old picric acid, check. Old ether, check. Random unlabeled dissolved nuclear reference, check.

Old picric, a biochemist mate of mine IM'd me several years ago, because he knew I had an unhealthy love of high explosives. "Hexyflexy, we've found this empty bottle of picric acid in the solvent box." Okay, nasty, be careful if it might have crystallised round the neck. "PhD supervisor has just started shaking the bottle"

I believe my reply was on the lines of call HAZMAT, and a lot of swearing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

This, for many reasons, is the best.

If you submitted this as a movie plot they'd be like, wait, is this a comedy or a drama?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hexyflexy posted:

Old picric, a biochemist mate of mine IM'd me several years ago, because he knew I had an unhealthy love of high explosives. "Hexyflexy, we've found this empty bottle of picric acid in the solvent box." Okay, nasty, be careful if it might have crystallised round the neck. "PhD supervisor has just started shaking the bottle"

I believe my reply was on the lines of call HAZMAT, and a lot of swearing.

Can't be that explosive. Wouldn't the worst be that the bottle would just spontaneously combust in his hand?

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

When my father found my stash of phenazepam, he thought it was cocaine. He rubbed a finger-full onto his gums.

Holy poo poo, did not see this one coming, amazing stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A White Guy posted:

Can't be that explosive. Wouldn't the worst be that the bottle would just spontaneously combust in his hand?

The sensitivity of picric acid is overstated, but it’s still a high explosive when dry.

Do you really want to test it?

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

zedprime posted:

..."oh my bad Scotchgard is loving awful for workers and consumers"...

I know the formula was changed to something that doesn't accumulate in the body near as much, but is it still dangerous? I go through a lot of ScotchGard on a pretty regular basis (we use it on a product we manufacture). Should I be using a respirator? Gloves? I'm in a room filled with ScotchGard fumes for a couple of hours about once a week. Ventilated room, but still.