Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
She's good, her bodyguard is good, her personal assistant is bad and scary.

He's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

She was on Conan a couple weeks back so I'm guessing that's how. She's been very active in organizing for pro-feminist groups over the last couple of years and like someone said in the NNF thread is the only person poo poo-talked by Kanye (and by poo poo-talk we know that means obsessive stalker-like behavior on a 9 figure level) to actually own him back.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Amber Rose is a cool lady and she was good on the show. She's a great blend of funny and just genuinely sweet seeming while also taking exactly zero poo poo from others.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Finally listened to Hayes and Sean on Best Show. It's amazing that they get out like 6 sentences combined in an hour. And Tom rules with his Squirrel character for what's not long enough, and also forever.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Now listen to the one where Hayes & Tom do dramatic readings of Yelp reviews.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

So is anyone planning on going to the MidRoll Podcast Festival in Anaheim? I never planned on going as I enjoy the LA PodFest just fine and hate Orange County, but the way they've ~rolled~ out the Midroll one is pretty gross so far. The LA Podfest guys made a now-deleted Facebook post that basically said all of Midroll's properties (Earwolf + WTF) would be exclusive to that fest sooner or later. They couldn't do it this year as LA PodFest announced their lineup well in advance of the Midroll Fest. And on today's HDTGM, Paul read this very :smuggo: ad copy that coyly mentioned this is the only one he's heard of.

Adam Sachs' last day at Midroll was last week btw.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So is anyone planning on going to the MidRoll Podcast Festival in Anaheim? I never planned on going as I enjoy the LA PodFest just fine and hate Orange County, but the way they've ~rolled~ out the Midroll one is pretty gross so far. The LA Podfest guys made a now-deleted Facebook post that basically said all of Midroll's properties (Earwolf + WTF) would be exclusive to that fest sooner or later. They couldn't do it this year as LA PodFest announced their lineup well in advance of the Midroll Fest. And on today's HDTGM, Paul read this very :smuggo: ad copy that coyly mentioned this is the only one he's heard of.

Welcome to the corporatization of entertainment! Soon everything will be region locked, Canadians won't get Comedy Bang Bang unless they pirate it, but they'll get Yo Is This Racist? a week early.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Podcasts had a good run but the money storm has been coming for a while now. I mean, when I started listening, the only podcast that had any ads at all was This American Life, and I remember being happy for podcasts that got ads, because it meant they were doing well. Now... well, a few weeks ago, Scott Aukerman made a comment after a dirty joke that "the sponsors are going to love this episode," and I thought it was revealing that that was on his mind.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

the rise of the altpodcast scene is on the horizon

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

No one will be laughing at howl when it's the only way to listen to podcasts

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I'm not going to be laughing, why would I pay them money? Madness!

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
How long will Hayes and Sean get to openly mock Howl before they get silenced??

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I'm not going to be laughing, why would I pay them money? Madness!

It's okay. You'll probably be able to download them for free for the next 15 years until they get a company that knows how to make a website.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Pretty sure Gourley is my favorite improv person. That was a good /w Special Guest.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Illinois Smith posted:

Pretty sure Gourley is my favorite improv person. That was a good /w Special Guest.

I love Lapkus but the premise of her show isn't my cup of tea, but when a good guest like Matt is on it's amazing. He is my favorite improv person too, superego was my introduction to that kind of thing on podcasts.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The main problem with with special guest is it's usually bad but whenever it's good it's just good for an hour. Like I'd like to hear more eps of What Went Wrong? With Alex Papas but I can't...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like every episode that has more than one guest I seems like.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, it either needs someone who's really good at this specific kind of improv, someone who has great chemistry with Lauren or more than one person to help anchor it a bit.

Or a combo of several of those, since the ones with more than one host tend to have Wild Horses people on them anyway.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
The worst part of any podcast is when they talk to listeners.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The worst parts of any podcast, from most to least:
1. If they have an engineer or tech guy and there's a part of the show where he talks. (Bret and Cody excluded, of course)
2. Any call in segment for any reason.
3. mail bag
4. Any time a LA pod cast has a New York Standup as a guest.
5. Live music

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Objectively correct.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Work Friend Keven posted:

The worst parts of any podcast, from most to least:
1. If they have an engineer or tech guy and there's a part of the show where he talks. (Bret and Cody excluded, of course)
2. Any call in segment for any reason.
3. mail bag
4. Any time a LA pod cast has a New York Standup as a guest.
5. Live music

So, any non-suggestion, non-intern interview part on I4H.

e: I still think the worst is where Besser had that month or two where he was obsessed with the trumpet guy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah i4h is the worst for swings in quality when it comes to veering away from what they're good at. The music stuff is even worse than CBB, and anything involving politics has me turning the episode off.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The scenes in the music episodes tend to be pretty good though I think. Like I don't think I've ever actually listened to a song on I4H but I enjoy those episodes (Maybe it's because Besser seems to like Mary Holland/Jon Gabrus/Eugene Cordero/Seth Morris etc for those ones)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I like the music I4H eps and I consider myself lucky for it

Call ins are the worst though and ruin any podcast that has them, unless they are Vibes related

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
If the guests are right, and the musicians don't give a poo poo about you making fun of something in their song, then music episodes aren't too bad. It only gets bad when Besser has them play a song for every scene, which I don't think he's done the last few. Constantly asking what lyrics mean isn't particularly productive, and the guy on the most recent one who was like "It's just a song about being high at the Casa Maņana" was the best.

I just wish he would get more than just mopey alt-country guys.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive never heard bad music on i4h

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The problem isn't the quality of the music, it's that having a 4 minute song in the middle of a comedy podcast absolutely kills the momentum, let alone 5 or 6 songs. There's a reason they stopped having music on CDR/CBB - even funny songs don't work and just interrupt the flow.

However, the Dan Deacon episode proves that musical guests aren't inherently bad, as long as their music can be an additive element. That's one of the best episodes of the entire podcast run.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 25, 2016

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Tgat final Wolf Den with him was so creepy.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 25, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

What's the one that has the "have you seen me in your candy-coloured / coated dream?" scene? The Ryan Bingham one? That and the Dan Deacon one are my favorite music episodes.

Also part of the reason he mostly gets one or at most two guys with guitars for these is that making a full band sound good on a podcast recording is way harder. Otherwise every lovely punk band under the sun probably would have beeen on the show by now.

Electronica guys like Deacon would be a great alternative but that's not what Besser's into so that's why it doesn't happen more often.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So not directly Earwolf related, but for fans of the Pistol Shrimps, apparently Amanda Lund, Maria "Blasooch" Blasucci, and Craig Cackowski used to have a podcast called Trading Movies. Craig (a film snob) and Maria (a weirdo) make each other watch one of their favorite movies that the other hasn't seen, then argue about it, with Lund as the host/ref.

I dunno if I'm totally sold on it yet but early in episode two (Casablanca v Harriet the Spy) you find out that Maria - who is an adult - still pronounces Nickelodeon as "Nickeloneon," and really digs her heels in on it for a while before she's finally talked down. That alone has made the show worth my time so far. It also weirdly foreshadowed the completely insane "in a well" debate she would later have on James Bonding.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I like the music I4H eps and I consider myself lucky for it

Call ins are the worst though and ruin any podcast that has them, unless they are Vibes related

Andy? Vibes?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

Why?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think it's generally because I listen to I4H during or after smoking but the music and comedy really blends well for me.

Crindee posted:

Andy? Vibes?

Well you're being kind of difficult about this.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ManoliIsFat posted:

I didn't hear anything creepy at all :confused: It seemed like a pretty typical Wolf Den and had some interesting tidbits about the Stitcher acquisition and upcoming events.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

I didn't hear anything creepy at all :confused: It seemed like a pretty typical Wolf Den and had some interesting tidbits about the Stitcher acquisition and upcoming events.

I just thought it was super exit interview-y, and Adam really beat around the bush about the reasons he was leaving. He wouldn't quite say "I needed a new direction" or "I just couldn't do the job they wanted me to", was hoping for a little more closure or candidness. Idk, maybe it was just me, but felt kinda fake.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Well he's not going say yeah they forced me to resign because I ~get~ Hollywood Handbook and Scripps is run by old dorks.

Anyway, here's a code for 2 months free Seeso: GETCOMEDY. Should work multiple times but if not at least one of you got some sweet sweet content.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone who has actually watched a decent amount have Seeso recommendations?

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
Flowers was good. The Del Close documentary is good. It has Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge and I'm Alan Partridge, both of which are great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh man yeah watch everything Partridge you can, in chronological order. Probably the best thing to ever come out of the UK that isn't talked about to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeman
May 7, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

The problem isn't the quality of the music, it's that having a 4 minute song in the middle of a comedy podcast absolutely kills the momentum, let alone 5 or 6 songs. There's a reason they stopped having music on CDR/CBB - even funny songs don't work and just interrupt the flow.

However, the Dan Deacon episode proves that musical guests aren't inherently bad, as long as their music can be an additive element. That's one of the best episodes of the entire podcast run.

they don't happen frequently, but CBB still has musical guests. They've had at least a couple this year