Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Upcoming_Free_Content_Update

Break down of FLC for the next patch, including the Amber Wizard, 4 new maps, Lord/Hero customization in MP battles, and.. the ability to unlock Sarthorial in MP by getting an achievement?

For this first attempt at customization it looks like the items available are potions for fighter characters, scrolls for wizards, and some quest items for Legendary Lords. (presumably the ones that actually give meaningful combat bonuses.)

From the sounds of it we'll probably get the full patch notes tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Sounds good, customizing was a neat part of TT so I hope we continue to get closer, including maybe non hero options for units.

I wonder if characters with potions will get an indicator. Otherwise it could be rough to focus fire on a character just to have them heal back up without knowing it's coming.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 25, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anything that frustrates lord sniping and keeps that from being the focus of the fight is good on my book.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Are there any lords that have really really good quest items for battles?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Good point, unknown potential to heal back up could be a pretty effective means of discouraging lord sniping. Or just make people double down harder on it, but I'll be hopeful.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Amber Wizard looks rad :cool:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kainser posted:

I love the Skull Staff quest battle. It's super easy, but the battle gimmick of sitting back and letting your "allied" mercenary pawns fight it out until they either die or discover your presence seems like a very Vampire Counts thing to do.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kainser posted:

Honestly most of the quest items are good enough for battle only buffs to be included. Stand out items, lets see..

Franz's Silver Seal is defense, magic resistance, and a 20% ward save, easily one of the best defensive items.

Gelts stuff is all decent, not great, but he could actually get all of them.

Mannfreds Sword of Infinite Magic while fighting is crazy good, and Kemmlers Tomb Blade of AOE HP regen isn't much worse.

Sigvalds Auric Armor gives HP Regen, it's strong enough to potentially add him to the MP meta by itself.

Archaon's best quest item is the Eye giving him a 25% ward save, the others are mediocre, he could at least get his axe and maaaaybe the crown for the LD buff to allied units.

Grimgor will probably get his Axe and Armor even though they're fairly average, and ditto Azhag.

Thorgrim should definitely get his armor and the Book of Grudges. The crown is pointless and the axe is...probably the worst quest weapon for combat bonuses.

Ungrim's Axe and Cloak are solid combat gear, crown is pointless.

Basically I think they'll include most of the quest items minus a couple that are verging on useless outside the campaign and probably Franz will just get the Hammer instead of the Runefang.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Triskelli posted:

The Amber Wizard looks rad :cool:

I refuse to believe any of the spellcasters are rad because even with the magic mod most spells still feel like garbage

The only things I seem to get any real use out of is bombardments like Searing Doom, and a couple of the buffs - mainly the + armor in AOE, or -armor in AOE

Everything else feels like another unit would be a better fit. There's a bunch of awful vortex spells that never do jack poo poo (except that awesome death one), and a bunch of weaksauce buffs like +leadership or speed or whatever

I honestly think that it's a winds of magic issue - being able to cast more spells more often would make the buffs more fun to use and some of the damage spells not so bad

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

madmac posted:

Thorgrim should definitely get his armor and the Book of Grudges. The crown is pointless and the axe is...probably the worst quest weapon for combat bonuses.

Which is sad, because in the lore, that axe is one of the most powerful weapons in the world, it was one of Grimnir's weapons.

Props to the original maker of this image. I had to make that lovely joke but I'm terrible.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

oswald ownenstein posted:

I refuse to believe any of the spellcasters are rad because even with the magic mod most spells still feel like garbage

The only things I seem to get any real use out of is bombardments like Searing Doom, and a couple of the buffs - mainly the + armor in AOE, or -armor in AOE

Everything else feels like another unit would be a better fit. There's a bunch of awful vortex spells that never do jack poo poo (except that awesome death one), and a bunch of weaksauce buffs like +leadership or speed or whatever

I honestly think that it's a winds of magic issue - being able to cast more spells more often would make the buffs more fun to use and some of the damage spells not so bad

Amber wizard can summon a manticore. Your argument is invalid.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kainser posted:

None of the vanilla artifacts are very good. There are some mods that crank them up, maybe too much, but I think it's worth a little imbalance.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

wiegieman posted:

None of the vanilla artifacts are very good. There are some mods that crank them up, maybe too much, but I think it's worth a little imbalance.

I would argue that Karl Franz's Ghal Maraz is great for the worldwide public order bonus.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What should my army comp look like as Chaos? Ive scratched 2 games where I has 3 or 2 stacks and was losing money so fast that sacking could not keep up, especially from unwalled cities.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

What should my army comp look like as Chaos? Ive scratched 2 games where I has 3 or 2 stacks and was losing money so fast that sacking could not keep up, especially from unwalled cities.

A good army comp I often end up with for late game chaos: 1 Exalted Hero, 1 Chaos Sorc(for any non caster lord) 6 to 8 Chaos warriors (mix of great weapons, shields and halberds as you see fit), 4-5 Cavalry/monstrous units(chaos spawn or dragon ogres), 2-3 Hell cannons.

Chosen are too expensive for bothering with, so I only grab them if needed for a quest battle and disband them after. You can easily crush must stuff in campaign with just Chaos warriors with some hell cannon and cavalry backup.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Baron Porkface posted:

How much money were you losing? My upkeep tends to be something like -4000 to -6000.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

How much money were you losing? My upkeep tends to be something like -4000 to -6000.

In my last game maybe 3.7k So if I get lucky and get a 15K city that's only 4 turns before I'm on the brink again, I don't know how you do it with -6k. How many stacks do you use at -6K?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 25, 2016

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Make sure you're not sharing units too much because usually the buildings give you massive upkeep reductions for that lord only

Also high level Kholek Suneater can basically kill everyone by himself if you stack ward save. Bring some spears and stuff but otherwise he will legit take on a whole army by himself

Be careful about having a sorcerer hero with you though as they will send their cav and fliers after it and you won't be able to protect

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

In my last game maybe 3.7k So if I get lucky and get a 15K city that's only 4 turns before I'm on the brink again, I don't know how you do it with -6k. how many stacks do you use at 6Kk

My high tier stacks are generally a legendary lord, a death sorcerer, and 13 infantry split between chaos warriors and chosen, a hellcannon, and the rest light cavalry. That sort of stack can pretty much run around on its own and sack a city every other turn. My lower tier stacks are composed of one stack of marauders and a second stack of forsaken/horrors, plus a hellcannon, some crappy chariots maybe, with chaos sorceror lord leaders (one fire, one death). These coordinate, though each can sack an undefended town if I need to. I have exalted heroes running around alongside my stacks storm garrison/assault armying ahead of every battle.

Basically between the two groups I sack a town every turn or so. (I follow the pattern of 'sack a town, move away and enter encampment to rebuild, next turn march stance most of the way to the next town. Then sack, move away and encamp'. Result: each stack sacks a town every other turn.) One group pushes west through Bretonnia, the other goes east along the frontiers of VC territory. When the marauder group's lord gets enough growth, I can start replacing the marauders with chaos warriors to be able to act independently.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 25, 2016

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

oswald ownenstein posted:

There's no point in bringing more than one caster 99% of the time. There should be diminishing returns, but I feel like you should get a bump in reserves at least for each caster you bring.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

My high tier stacks are generally a legendary lord, a death sorcerer, and 13 infantry split between chaos warriors and chosen, a hellcannon, and the rest light cavalry. That sort of stack can pretty much run around on its own and sack a city every other turn.

Generally you can barely walk to a city every 2 turns though. And that's not counting resting up.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

There's no point in bringing more than one caster 99% of the time. There should be diminishing returns, but I feel like you should get a bump in reserves at least for each caster you bring.

The exception is if the casters are vampires. Because they can also kick immense rear end in melee fights.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
In my Hard Chaos game I only ever had two stacks and the second didn't come into being until 50 or so turns in. By turn 60 though I had two full armies of chosen and poo poo running around with a deficit of - 4k or so. Sacking most cities further south will give you over 12k most of the time with bigger cities up to quadrupling that. So basically one of your two uberstacks needs to be loving up a city every three or so turns and if you're not doing that you are loving up.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Sharzak posted:

In my Hard Chaos game I only ever had two stacks and the second didn't come into being until 50 or so turns in. By turn 60 though I had two full armies of chosen and poo poo running around with a deficit of - 4k or so. Sacking most cities further south will give you over 12k most of the time with bigger cities up to quadrupling that. So basically one of your two uberstacks needs to be loving up a city every three or so turns and if you're not doing that you are loving up.

How your armies heal up effectively far from Norsca?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Baron Porkface posted:

Generally you can barely walk to a city every 2 turns though. And that's not counting resting up.

You can easily sack one city per turn as chaos, 2 or 3 if you have the armies and really want to. Not sure what you mean by resting up either. My armies are only stationary if I need to build something that takes more than one turn. Unless you razed something, you should end each turn with encamping, merging wounded units, and replacing them with fresh ones. Chaos tech and lord skills means your raw recruits come in at 2 silver chevrons or so, minimum.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

Merge wounded units and recruit new ones to fill the gap. Chaos recruitment time is so low for this very reason.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Merge up, recruit new units.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Also unless there was a reason not to by default I encamped at the end of every turn. There were maybe ten turns total my legendary lord ended without being encamped or besieging. ABC--ALWAYS BE CAMPING.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
On another note I'd like to pipe up and say that the chaos campaign is the only campaign I've ever played to completion in any total war game and I've been playing since the original medieval. I really liked it. I had Kholek in the north-center while Sigvald slowly razed Bretonnia--it was fun to imagine them as unrelated chaos hordes both representing huge threats to the civilizations of the world. I've never really played a game where my imagination got away from me like that and I felt like the game played out with pretty much a perfect narrative.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I hated the Chaos campaign but I think that might have been because I spent too long in the north messing with Norscans and had too many hordes in play to ever feel comfortable economically. By the time I made it south everyone had fortified their cities and I absolutely refused to manually resolve every last siege.

I'm tempted to do another where I just stick with 3 hordes tops.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I just played a Chaos campaign to the Short Campaign completion point (and I plan to do the Long Campaign conditions too) and I'd reached the short victory before expanding past two hordes. This meant I was actually breaking even each turn or losing 200 per turn max for a long, long time. The third horde put my deficit to about 3000 per turn but I've got 250k favour as a buffer now, having razed all of the Empire and Bretonnia. Rushing for Altdorf is a good plan too, once you're capable of fighting a lot.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Deified Data posted:

I hated the Chaos campaign but I think that might have been because I spent too long in the north messing with Norscans and had too many hordes in play to ever feel comfortable economically. By the time I made it south everyone had fortified their cities and I absolutely refused to manually resolve every last siege.

I'm tempted to do another where I just stick with 3 hordes tops.

Try a Sigvald start. Sack, awaken, and subjugate the first tribe. Sack the second settlement then go back to friendly territory to heal up. The dwarfs, norscan, and Kislev folks should send relatively weak armies at your ally and you should be able to gently caress them up pretty easily with Sigvald's starting units + the allied garrison chaff. Once you have the chaos warriors building (destroy the Marauder one) and have 14 or 15 units, head south. Since you have the hellcannon you can besiege walled settlements immediately and can now rampage across the south without having to worry about sieges being relieved by enemy armies. You should be able to do this by turn 10 or so.

The Northern area is boring as hell and I think that's why a lot of people don't like the Chaos campaign. It's a lot more fun to fight all the southern races, and I think Sigvald is the most ideal start for that.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
1. How do you prevent annoying bullshit like this:
You put your army in range of an enemy city/stack with the plan to attack next turn. It goes to their turn, and they pull an additional stack out of the fog of war. You get attacked by the new army (reinforced by the original stack) forcing you to retreat, and then the original stack (reinforced by the new one) attacks you again, pinning you in place for a 2v1. Just always wander around with 2+ stacks?

2. Is there any way to see your movement radius on the campaign map? It's incredibly dumb that I can't tell if I can make it to a city without clicking and committing to the movement first.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron Porkface posted:

In my last game maybe 3.7k So if I get lucky and get a 15K city that's only 4 turns before I'm on the brink again, I don't know how you do it with -6k. How many stacks do you use at -6K?

In my chaos run i ran with Sigvalf + exalted heroes and sorcerers while Kohlek had an army of dragon ogres and demon spawns that rammed their way to victory all the time while Archaon never really did anything useful nor had cool abilities so he just ran the most boring halberd chosen army ever.

BY late game you can expect your armies to give you minus -15k upkeep easily but most towns are super developed (never raze non-garrisoned economic settlements since those are your piggy banks) and by late game you should have enough agents to group with your armies to stack all the sacking bonuses you can find to maximize the cash you get.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megasabin posted:

1. How do you prevent annoying bullshit like this:
You put your army in range of an enemy city/stack with the plan to attack next turn. It goes to their turn, and they pull an additional stack out of the fog of war. You get attacked by the new army (reinforced by the original stack) forcing you to retreat, and then the original stack (reinforced by the new one) attacks you again, pinning you in place for a 2v1. Just always wander around with 2+ stacks?

2. Is there any way to see your movement radius on the campaign map? It's incredibly dumb that I can't tell if I can make it to a city without clicking and committing to the movement first.

1- grab map awareness, use agents to clear ground for you, pay attention and don't get fooled. The AI in warhams really likes to do this sort of thing and they're good at it.

2-Hold right click and drag, your movement bar will tell you how much movement that advance will take out of your stack.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Try a Sigvald start. Sack, awaken, and subjugate the first tribe. Sack the second settlement then go back to friendly territory to heal up. The dwarfs, norscan, and Kislev folks should send relatively weak armies at your ally and you should be able to gently caress them up pretty easily with Sigvald's starting units + the allied garrison chaff. Once you have the chaos warriors building (destroy the Marauder one) and have 14 or 15 units, head south. Since you have the hellcannon you can besiege walled settlements immediately and can now rampage across the south without having to worry about sieges being relieved by enemy armies. You should be able to do this by turn 10 or so.

The Northern area is boring as hell and I think that's why a lot of people don't like the Chaos campaign. It's a lot more fun to fight all the southern races, and I think Sigvald is the most ideal start for that.

The whole thing where if you lose your lord once he loses 50 turns or more of horde building development is kinda lovely too.

Not to mention it can take an absurd amount of growth points to revive that lord again.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've had a problem with the game crashing in underground battles, specifically the dwarves' first quest battle. I can finish a regular underground battle most of the time so long as i don't use a camera angle that shows the area outside the battlefield, but the Battle at Thundering Falls will consistently kill my computer about 20 seconds after the cutscene is over. I already have my graphics settings really low but I'm wondering if there's anything else I could do to fix this?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Megasabin posted:

:confused:

How do you miss the big yellow highlight that shows how far your army can move when you have it selected?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Wafflecopper posted:

:confused:

How do you miss the big yellow highlight that shows how far your army can move when you have it selected?

I didn't know you can drag for a movement command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You don't even need to do that though. As soon as you select your army there's a big yellow blob on the map that shows how far you can move in your current stance. I'm not trying to be a dick but I don't know how you can possibly miss it. The movement bar is only needed to see how far you can move and still have enough left to encamp or raid or whatever

• Locked thread