Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kraus posted:

That's dumb reasoning. Skilled players will sucessfully and swiftly complete their stacks. Bad players will get game losses.

This is how you get to play Goblins again, because Terminus isn't going anywhere.

When you're at a 30:1 player:judge ratio tournament (and they don't get better than that, let's be real) and 2/30 players are playing recruiter you're going to completely kill the judge's time.

Terminus should get axed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

When you're at a 30:1 player:judge ratio tournament (and they don't get better than that, let's be real) and 2/30 players are playing recruiter you're going to completely kill the judge's time.

Terminus should get axed :(

The banned list is for format-warping cards, not for cards that require practice.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kraus posted:

The banned list is for format-warping cards, not for cards that require practice.

Tell that to Chaos Orb and Falling Star.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

Tell that to Chaos Orb and Falling Star.

If Chaos Orb and Falling Star were legal today, would the card sleeve that they're in count as being a part of the card or would you have to take it out of the sleeve first?

EDIT: oh gently caress, there's actually an official rule on that very question! http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=603

Oracle posted:

10/4/2004 If you have sleeves on cards, they count as the cards.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Chaos Orb calls out needing to touch cards, so clearly you'd take it, and all other cards, out of their sleeves.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What happens if you activate a token copy of Chaos Orb?

Are you allowed to represent your tokens with one of those oversized commander cards?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

What happens if you activate a token copy of Chaos Orb?

Are you allowed to represent your tokens with one of those oversized commander cards?

Use your Tibalt Body Pillow for a token.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kraus posted:

Sensei's Divining Top is banned in modern, though?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

black potus posted:

Chaos Orb calls out needing to touch cards, so clearly you'd take it, and all other cards, out of their sleeves.

In that case, I'm going to play a deck with four copies of Soldier of Fortune, Cosi's Trickster, and request that my opponent play without sleeves.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kraus posted:

Lame. I was hoping for some unbannings in Legacy.

Unban Frantic Search you loving cowards

what do y'all think about bedlam reveler in noted bad format modern? maybe something like this:

4 Tay Tay
4 Delver
4 Stormchaser Mage
3 Bedlam Reveler

Bolts, Lava Spikes, Mutagenic Growths, Probes, Serum Visions, Dismembers, vapor snags, maybe some remands

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hey nerds I'm getting kind of close to finishing my Junk list, any suggestions as I start to pick up the pricier pieces (need two Voices, three Finks, and the Pulses)?

Deck: Junk Beatdown

//Lands
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Plains
1 Stirring Wildwood
2 Swamp
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Lingering Souls
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Painful Truths
4 Path to Exile
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Kitchen Finks
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Siege Rhino
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Dismember
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence
3 Thoughtseize
2 Zealous Persecution

Display deck statistics

Yes I know Hierarchs would be better than Birds, but the Birds work for now and I'll work on getting the Hierarchs someday.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

when you get hierarchs you should get that thrun outta there and play wilt-leaf liege since your plan is just to smash face with huge idiots. i also think i want some number of RIP with Dredge running around (and you also have no goyfs)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AgentSythe posted:

when you get hierarchs you should get that thrun outta there and play wilt-leaf liege since your plan is just to smash face with huge idiots. i also think i want some number of RIP with Dredge running around (and you also have no goyfs)

He can't play RiP because he's running Lingering Souls, voices, and kitchen finks.

Also I think I may have been the one to originally suggest the Thrun because I ran one maindeck at GP Charlotte in anticipation of jeskai Nahiri decks and it was fantastic all weekend. Wilt-Leaf would be better if you're expecting more creature based matchups.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

He can't play RiP because he's running Lingering Souls, voices, and kitchen finks.

Also I think I may have been the one to originally suggest the Thrun because I ran one maindeck at GP Charlotte in anticipation of jeskai Nahiri decks and it was fantastic all weekend. Wilt-Leaf would be better if you're expecting more creature based matchups.

You were, but if my last FNM was any indication my local meta skews pretty creature-heavy so I might have to track down a couple Wilt-Leafs to use. Thanks MM15 for making them so cheap!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Any 4c Loam players out there? I'm staring at the 'default' sideboard and have no idea what matchups I'm bringing some of these in for (Garruk, Maelstrom).

Also can you engineered plague 'Monk' to kill Mentor tokens? Tokens get their type by default now right?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Not an Aggro Loam player, but Garruk comes in against Miracles and I would assume stuff like Merfolk and D&T. Engineered Plague on monk will kill Mentor tokens. Pulse I could see vs Miracles (it's an out to Moat, is a CMC3 so hard to CB, and can kill Jace or a bunch of monk tokens or whatever).

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

okay but RIP turns off their whole deck

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Rogue0071 posted:

Not an Aggro Loam player, but Garruk comes in against Miracles and I would assume stuff like Merfolk and D&T. Engineered Plague on monk will kill Mentor tokens. Pulse I could see vs Miracles (it's an out to Moat, is a CMC3 so hard to CB, and can kill Jace or a bunch of monk tokens or whatever).

Garruk comes in against any grindy matchups, like D&T or Miracles, but especially Shardless where it can't be Decayed and can block Goyfs for days. If you think you need a stream of expendable blockers while you PFire something to death, Garruk's your guy.

Pulse is a good general-purpose answer to planeswalkers, so you'll see it come in against most Jace decks. Loam already runs Toxic Deluge so it's actually not for Monks/Elementals, although that's certainly a side benefit.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AgentSythe posted:

okay but RIP turns off their whole deck

OK but it's not a bad matchup to begin with and he has 3 Scavenging Ooze maindeck, still not worth the sideboard slots. Only sideboard hate I play in my version is 2 surgical extraction.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I guess I'm a bad person for wanting to re-enter Modern with BW tokens :(

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yes

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is it a bad idea to play Thermo-Alchemist in my modern burn deck? Would taking turn two "off" to cast it put me too far behind?

Right now my deck has 12 creatures in it, 4-of's Monastery Swiftspear, Goblin Guide, and Keldon Marauders(I just put them in last night, haven't played them yet, saw them get played in a pauper burn deck by Paul Cheon and liked them there). I should have a couple Grim Lavamancers soon that might find their way in there.

Just going through new cards I've opened from EMN, and it seems kinda neat to tap it for one damage, play a burn card, tap it for 1 damage, play a burn card, etc.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 23, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

quote not edit

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That sounds awful. 3 toughness isn't great in modern and the opponent can kill it without it ever doing anything, and burn is a deck that really needs every single spell. It's also a horrible topdeck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's a 2 mana Swiftspear that doesn't have haste or even attack.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Is it a bad idea to play Thermo-Alchemist in my modern burn deck? Would taking turn two "off" to cast it put me too far behind?

Right now my deck has 12 creatures in it, 4-of's Monastery Swiftspear, Goblin Guide, and Keldon Marauders(I just put them in last night, haven't played them yet, saw them get played in a pauper burn deck by Paul Cheon and liked them there). I should have a couple Grim Lavamancers soon that might find their way in there.

Just going through new cards I've opened from EMN, and it seems kinda neat to tap it for one damage, play a burn card, tap it for 1 damage, play a burn card, etc.

Alchemist does the thing Burn wants to do least, which is let your opponent trade their cards for yours 1-for-1 and take zero damage in the process. It's also an awful topdeck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Fair enough! I just opened it today and liked it. I'm fine seeing it as cool but unfortunately not good.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
The two drop you're looking for is Eidolon.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Party Ghost is great. You haven't really played Magic until there are like 3 Eidolons on the field at once.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

The two drop you're looking for is Eidolon.

I am looking for it. Have one so far!

I like the idea of Keldon as a short term replacement, though. Does stuff when it enters, when it leaves and can attack for three or block during its short, beautiful life.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Though speaking of new moon cards and burn has anyone tried one or two bedlam reveler? I'm hoping one is enough of a free roll cause I like the card.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Though speaking of new moon cards and burn has anyone tried one or two bedlam reveler? I'm hoping one is enough of a free roll cause I like the card.

i've been playing the "list" i posted on this very page. it's been fine. I don't think i'd play reveler without all the free stuff like mutagenic growth and probe

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

No new Thalias in the hate bears deck in the top 8. Is the Indy 8 Thalia Dream Dead?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I want to troll the classic with this list.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/miracelves/

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Any thoughts on this hoogland spirits brew? Looks pretty cool.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

always be closing posted:

With both a flying anthem and some Spirit tribal themes in there, I would have included Lingering Souls and dropped a UW dual for a BW dual or something.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

C-Euro posted:

With both a flying anthem and some Spirit tribal themes in there, I would have included Lingering Souls and dropped a UW dual for a BW dual or something.

only if the resulting deck is called Esper Souls

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I think he's looking for value tacked onto the bodies, and the ability to be vialed in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I think he's looking for value tacked onto the bodies, and the ability to be vialed in.

That's true, but as a poor without Vials if I were building the deck I would drop the Vials for Souls. Most of the creatures you'd want to Vial in have flash anyway so you wouldn't lose that angle completely.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

gently caress Clique, add Kira.