Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I think Munakata would be a more effective villain if we actually saw the ultimate despairs in action more than we had. We've really only been told about the atrocities they committed. There's a hosed up world around them, but theres also a billion Monokuma bots that messed stuff up more than the despairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I see someone else noticed the best part of the episode.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I would hang the "Mono Lisa" on my walls.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I don't see Munakata as a villain. Maybe an antagonist by virtue of Makoto being the protagonist, but he made a lot of very good points. He's also suffering from the idea of a phantom enemy, thinking that by eradicating the Remnants of Despair he can eradicate despair as a whole. If nothing else, he wants it done as a symbolic victory.

The interesting thing about this episode was that it really solidified the idea that the Future Foundation is made up of a bunch of terrible extremists with ulterior motives. That's pretty cool and I look forward to seeing where it goes. It's different from the other DR games where all the characters seemed like basically normal, pleasant-if-maladjusted high schoolers that were forced to start killing each other and are upset over it.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Munakata is pretty much one of those villains from a jrpg that won't shut up about how "there's no way to stop people from suffering, so I'll just kill everyone!" It was stupid then and it's stupid now.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The way The Great Gozu died in a locked room just makes me think he's the traitor and he went to get Bandai's body and put his clothes and mask with a wig so that he may appear dead. Any other answer is that the killer is one of the other people in the room and that is too easy.

Also that would explain why Bandai's NG thing was so unfair in this situation, they wanted to kill him quick because his body is the only one that's similiar to Gozu's body

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Start of the next episode, Makoto yells "No, that's wrong!" as a truth bullet and Munakata gives up because Makoto did just stop his blade with his words.

Alternately, Makoto will point out that there is no absolute hope or despair in the world. Not even Junko, for how hard she tried, could pull off absolute despair.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If this anime ends with Munakata sacrificing his life to save Naegi I will throw it in the trash

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, is it just me or did Miaya just lie about her forbidden action and then not even show Makoto or Aoi her bracelet afterwards?

BlazeEmblem posted:

Start of the next episode, Makoto yells "No, that's wrong!" as a truth bullet and Munakata gives up because Makoto did just stop his blade with his words.

Too bad the Blade Mode thing was added in DR2, otherwise I'd look forward to Makoto doing that here.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Alternately, Makoto will point out that there is no absolute hope or despair in the world. Not even Junko, for how hard she tried, could pull off absolute despair.

I figure Episode 4 will begin with Makoto telling Kyosuke about how Chisa said that two hopes should work together to become a bigger hope, and that she wouldn't have wanted this. That will be enough to get Munakata to back down, or at least hesitate long enough for Makoto to get away.

IceBorg posted:

The way The Great Gozu died in a locked room just makes me think he's the traitor and he went to get Bandai's body and put his clothes and mask with a wig so that he may appear dead. Any other answer is that the killer is one of the other people in the room and that is too easy.

Also that would explain why Bandai's NG thing was so unfair in this situation, they wanted to kill him quick because his body is the only one that's similiar to Gozu's body

That's a possibility. It's also possible that the murderer is someone who wasn't in the room before, and Asahina's fake murder was a distraction. Maybe after hanging up Gozu's body, the killer ran out of time and risked discovery. If the survivors looked up to find Gozu, they might discover the traitor in the room. So they improvised and set up the fake Asahina murder so that Makoto and Miaya's attention would be on her and the traitor would be able to slip away.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Munakata loving sucks. I'm sick of all these blonde assholes in suits causing unnecessary trouble.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Characters like Munakata are what bring good shows down. His whole ideology boils down to "Hope leads people to despair, and I want to destroy all despair, therefore kill all hope," which is very inherently counterproductive. Not only that, he is so singlemindedly stubborn that he bends everyone's words to support his own bullshit argument. I had a similar issue with Gatchaman Crowds Insight; I dropped it two episodes in because its villain's ideology was "Crowds causes mayhem, but no mayhem was being caused, so I will cause mayhem to prove my point." :psyboom:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, this show's really pulling out all the stops to make you actively dislike most of the cast who aren't the DR1 characters, huh?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I love how the Ultimate Boxer is such an rear end in a top hat that he feels he can't confront a waifish girl in a fist fight and needs to throw a chair at her.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm really curious how loving Naegi of all people was able to bring in the all-knowing all-capable Kamukura Izuru and his troupe of evil teens. Maybe it was a plot all along to instigate the activation of AI Junko? Has that ever been said outright?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Baal posted:

Man, this show's really pulling out all the stops to make you actively dislike most of the cast who aren't the DR1 characters, huh?

Seiko's cool. So are the animator and old man. Other than that, gently caress 'em.

Also, people are speculating that Munakata's forbidden action is using doors.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
he probably can't punch anyone without eating poison. he's cartoonishly evil though.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I had a similar issue with Gatchaman Crowds Insight; I dropped it two episodes in because its villain's ideology was "Crowds causes mayhem, but no mayhem was being caused, so I will cause mayhem to prove my point." :psyboom:

Go back and watch the entire thing now. The season is much more complex than that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yeah he hasn't used his fists since the bracelet went on

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm really curious how loving Naegi of all people was able to bring in the all-knowing all-capable Kamukura Izuru and his troupe of evil teens. Maybe it was a plot all along to instigate the activation of AI Junko? Has that ever been said outright?

He wasn't actually, almost sure it was said in the end of DR2 that they knew that the Junko AI was gonna do something to the program and they went along with Naegi's plan because they wanted the despair of losing their memories and killing each other.

Well at least Kamukura knew because he was the one that had one of the AI Junko pieces with him and put her in the program.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Baal posted:

It's a shame that the only good, non-DR1 character right now is SHSL 'Roid Rage.

lets hang out posted:

yeah he hasn't used his fists since the bracelet went on

Didn't he punch Mitarai?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

lol at the funi icon

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, is it just me or did Miaya just lie about her forbidden action and then not even show Makoto or Aoi her bracelet afterwards?
I agree with this, something's really fishy about that. Speaking of forbidden actions, I think the idea of them is alright, but having them rely on the actions of others is kind of bullshit. And if the forbidden action is to not kill someone for another character, couldn't they all just get in a room and show their bracelets? I'm sure someone's is "show your forbidden action" but that'll narrow it down to two.

IceBorg posted:

This definitely would explain the fakeout, and it lends credence to the "killer is randomly selected" theory, but if that's the case, this idea is dumb. Or maybe not, considering that the FF guys were almost asking for a reason to kill eachother.

Baal posted:

I'm still on board for the time being, but yeah, making most of FF insane assholes is weird and so far Great Gozu is the only new character I give a poo poo about.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 25, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Didn't he punch Mitarai?

he knee'd him

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have a good explanation for the kill fakeout? I've been thinking about it but I've got nothing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My theory for the Attacker is that it's Sakakura. As mentioned it's pretty much impossible for the Attacker to win as it will start to become obvious who the Attacker is as people disappear. However I do think that Sakakura is on Munakata's side.

My theory is that Sakakura agreed to serve as the attacker and aid Monokuma's controller in order to remove people from the Future Foundiation that he believed were holding Munakata back from taking over and destroying despair. Yukizome was eliminated because he felt she was softening him and holding him back. Gozu was killed because he had always opposed them. (Bandai was killed by accident as I don't think the attacker knows the forbidden actions.) I am guessing he would kept Neagi alive despite his hatred of him, so most people like Munakata would focus on him.

If I am right he will want to kill the ex head master during the attack phase, so Munakata can take over the Future Foundation. After that it's just a matter of killing Neagi and his allies while they are awake then stopping the killing.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

ViggyNash posted:

Does anyone have a good explanation for the kill fakeout? I've been thinking about it but I've got nothing.

I think it must have something to do with keeping Naegi's attention to the "body" for enought time for someone to do something but I have no idea what.

Butt Ghost posted:

This definitely would explain the fakeout, and it lends credence to the "killer is randomly selected" theory, but if that's the case, this idea is dumb. Or maybe not, considering that the FF guys were almost asking for a reason to kill eachother.

Actually this makes me think the opposite, I think the traitor is Gozu and him "dying" is common trick so that he can continue to kill without suspicion.

Hell Kirigiri mentioned in this episode how weird the game is because if people keep dying it gets more easy to find the traitor and it's like they don't want to win the game....unless the traitor is one of the dead people that is.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i hope naegi is dead

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Well now I wish that Asahina actually did die instead of Gozu. gently caress this.

Any more of this nonsense and I might as well change the thread title to (Watch Despair Only)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

IceBorg posted:

I think it must have something to do with keeping Naegi's attention to the "body" for enought time for someone to do something but I have no idea what.

Actually this makes me think the opposite, I think the traitor is Gozu and him "dying" is common trick so that he can continue to kill without suspicion.

Hell Kirigiri mentioned in this episode how weird the game is because if people keep dying it gets more easy to find the traitor and it's like they don't want to win the game....unless the traitor is one of the dead people that is.

But then why fake Asahina's death at all? The only reason I can think of to do that is to trick whoever's watching into thinking you've done your job.

oh right, as a distraction. Maybe, then. but that would mean no one died this around, and the game should be over, right? Then the Remnants of Despair wouldn't be true to their word, and everyone watching would be able to see they're cheating. Not that it matter, because Future Foundation is full of lunatics anyway.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 25, 2016

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Is Gozu a reference to Gozuki or Gozu-Tennoh? They are both ox-headed supernatural beings so it's tough to tell.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

gozu means cow's head apparently

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
How wonderfully goofy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's the Wheelchair/wheelchair girl. The fakeout was so she could retract whatever it/she used to put Gozu up where he was with enough time to spare.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I feel like there's a 90% chance wheelchair girl will dramatically stand up at some point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We already know she can walk. She just does not.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's the Wheelchair/wheelchair girl. The fakeout was so she could retract whatever it/she used to put Gozu up where he was with enough time to spare.

Miaya is way too suspicious to actually be the culprit. Between the suspicious NG Code, her technical abilities, her lack of voice actor, and her design (the wheelchair and hairstyle mostly) seeming to directly invoke the villain of the Ultra Despair Girls spinoff, it would be a bit too obvious if she was the traitor.

Though it could be a situation similiar to Dio from Virtue's Last Reward, where the obvious, shady-acting suspect actually turned out to be a bad guy, surprising everyone who was expecting a twist.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The traitor is clearly the most forgettable character in this cast

so the blacksmith guy (I didn't even remember his talent, i had to look it up)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i hope the asahina fake-out is there to lower our guard for the real twist of Dangan Ronpa 3: Future Side, that naegi died at the end of episode 2

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

IceBorg posted:

Great Gozu can't be a fake out death, because then nobody died when everyone was asleep, so the game would have been over. Sorry, but he's dead.

Why are you spoilering speculation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Can't wait for episode 4 to come up and show us that Munakata actually just stabbed through Asahina, who threw herself in the way of his blade at the last second to protect Makoto.

• Locked thread