Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

I'm only posting this here because I don't know if there's a more appropriate place on the forums, but what are some good reading sources to really start with film theory and criticism? I devour the Criterion special features where I can and really want to find more stuff out there to read, not just watch.

Not reading, but there is no shortage of great movie podcasts. The Canon may not be well thought of around these parts, but I absolutely love it and happen to be listening to the Godfather episode right now. Highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Unmature posted:

Not reading, but there is no shortage of great movie podcasts. The Canon may not be well thought of around these parts, but I absolutely love it and happen to be listening to the Godfather episode right now. Highly recommend it.

Its a good day when I can get Devin Faraci to stump hard for the story of Triumph of the Will or Birth of the Nation being important for the Canon.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Anyone stanning for Devin Faraci/The Canon is trying to ruin your life.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I like Amy Nicholson and her analysis is generally spot on but Devin is just a consummate rear end in a top hat. It would be a much better podcast if he wasn't a part of it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

I like Amy Nicholson and her analysis is generally spot on but Devin is just a consummate rear end in a top hat. It would be a much better podcast if he wasn't a part of it.

I like them both and love what an rear end in a top hat Devin is. I actually get more frustrated by Amy's stubbornness than anything Devin does. Except when he talks about animation. That can make my blood boil. Amy will also judge a movie based on outside factors or other cuts that have nothing to do with the movie they're talking about.

On another note, I picked up Amarcord today. Is this a good place to start with Fellini?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 18, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Unmature posted:

On another note, I picked up Amarcord today. Is this a good place to start with Fellini?

A lot of people would probably say 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita, but I think Amarcord is as good a place as any. It has everything people love about Fellini, I'd say its very representative of his work in general.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Its a good day when I can get Devin Faraci to stump hard for the story of Triumph of the Will or Birth of the Nation being important for the Canon.

Birth of a Nation is an important film. Yes, it's racist and that should not be downplayed, but in terms of technology and cinematography, it was a huge achievement of its time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

blue squares posted:

Birth of a Nation is an important film. Yes, it's racist and that should not be downplayed, but in terms of technology and cinematography, it was a huge achievement of its time.

Everyone should read that book Who's Afraid of Song of the South. There's a fascinating story behind that movie.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 30, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'll read Faraci but I won't listen to him. Amy sucks as a host too. That podcast is garbage, listen to Filmspotting or something.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like Filmspotting and The Next Picture Show.

The Next Picture Show has a really novel format where they pair a classic movie with a current release and use the two to talk about techniques or themes or whatever they have in common. A good one was when they paired Finding Dory with Memento to talk about how films explore memory and identity.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hitchcock's Films Revisited by Robin Wood is some excellent film criticism worth checking out.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Get this to Criterion, STAT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLGLCXP0CdA

Can't I just dream?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Unmature fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 19, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Disney's Blu is excellent. 4K remaster, commentary, deleted scenes, docs, and the three short cartoons are included.

Only improvement would be to include the entire work print, which features the pre-effects footage. Only the Toontown scene is included.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Would a physical B&N store take an unopened online product and swap it out for the same one?

The copy of Hard Day's Night I got is pretty banged up on the corners.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DevCore posted:

Would a physical B&N store take an unopened online product and swap it out for the same one?

The copy of Hard Day's Night I got is pretty banged up on the corners.

If you ordered it from Barnes and nobles website they will take it. Because ordering it from their online store is like buying it from their physical store. Just show them a receipt.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

A lot of people would probably say 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita, but I think Amarcord is as good a place as any. It has everything people love about Fellini, I'd say its very representative of his work in general.

Picked up 8 1/2 today. Gonna watch it first. In fact, I'm hitting play right now.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching Day For Night. I think I've discovered where Wes Anderson gets his everything from.

Also watched All That Jazz last night and found the editing very offputting. Everything I didn't like went on forever and everything I did like was over so fast. I've heard about the dancing in the water scene for so long and enjoyed that part so much I was very disappointed to learn it was like five seconds of the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Picked up the Kennedy films disc today after visiting B&N after work.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Branded to Kill is a lot better than Tokyo Drifter

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

blue squares posted:

They're both incredible but I agree that Branded takes the edge.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I Before E posted:

They're both incredible but I agree that Branded takes the edge.

Yeah I love Tokyo drifter, but man branded to kill is so drat stylish and weird and beautifully shot. I really love that film.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Any opinions on Two-Lane Blacktop?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

I prefer Youth of the Beast.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Unmature posted:

It's Good

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Unmature posted:

Very good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Unmature posted:

It's great

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Brazil was incredible. I can only imagine how bad the "Love Conquers All" cut butchers the movie if the name is any indication.

Now I'm going to hold out (futile) hope that Criterion will release Eyes Wide Shut in December because the idea popped in my head the other day and it would be too perfect.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I ran into a Barnes and Noble unexpectedly and had to slip in. Impulse bought THE BLOB!!!!!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

blue squares posted:

I ran into a Barnes and Noble unexpectedly and had to slip in. Impulse bought THE BLOB!!!!!

Good fuckin' choice. The Blob rules.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cromlech posted:

Brazil was incredible. I can only imagine how bad the "Love Conquers All" cut butchers the movie if the name is any indication.

Now I'm going to hold out (futile) hope that Criterion will release Eyes Wide Shut in December because the idea popped in my head the other day and it would be too perfect.

Eyes Wide Shut and Barry Lyndon are obvious picks to license from Warner. The current Blus are good, but EWS doesn't have much on the film itself while Lyndon is bare bones. The latter has a beautiful 4K master, though.

Early sell sheets for the EWS special edition listed a commentary by Sydney Pollack, but I don't know if it was left off or it wasn't recorded because of his death.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 24, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd love to see EWS and Lyndon both get a super deluxe treatment from Criterion, especially if they were allowed into all the behind-the-scenes stuff from both movies.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The only problem with The Blob is it peaks early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHDvzGmmw0

(Im the drumming fuckup at 1:14. It me)

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 24, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I thought the 80s Blob remake was pretty good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I thought the 80s Blob remake was pretty good.

Blob '88 is fuckin awesome

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I would expect this thread to be more lively this month.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In a Lonely Place is solid, right? I've liked all the Nicholas Ray films I've seen so far and Bogart is never a waste of time.

Thinking of getting that and Odd Man Out along with the Pierre Etaix set.

I would get the Downey set if it wasn't DVD only.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Watch In a Lonely Place.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Filmstruck beta emails have gone out. That's all I'll say about that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Watched Branded to Kill last night. Took me a while to get into it, but I loved the last 30-40 minutes. I think I may have to give it a very slight edge over Tokyo Drifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got my Strangelove blu today and it's so goddamn lovely and nice. Please announce more UK releases soon, Criterion! :(