Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
OK so my local Club had its 2nd 30k event this weekend. We have been running a doubles event to promote people being bros and cool dudes and trying to foster a friendly 30k community. It has worked really well so far and everyone had a great time and zero arguments or people being dicks. This event was based on a doubles team of 1500pts per person, so 3k each team, standard force org from age of darkness.

We had a good turn out and everyone worked hard on bringing painted armies to the event and the organizers put on great tables with great terrain. The only real prizes for the event are free entry to the next event and players choice gets a free FAT MAT, this helps keep the atmposphere a bit more chill too. Tim from Eye of Horus played and you can see more pics on his imgr and blog soon. I ran a Scoria Cybernetica list and got drat he was a monster, all hail the dark mechanicum, all hail Scoria.
So I think this it most of the armies that showed up. If your in Australia and Brisbane hit up TheWarriorLodge for some 30k fun

Armies pics for the Army pics gods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

This army looks rad as hell and also profoundly unfun to play against.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looks a lot lime my admech army

J/K, mine has Scoria

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

That's some seriously cool armies! Oh wait, what is this? A Calix? Someone fielded a Calix? Poor soul.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

That's some seriously cool armies! Oh wait, what is this? A Calix? Someone fielded a Calix? Poor soul.

That was me and yeah he is there pretty much just for looks, he is over costed, and fits no real role that another unit couldn't do cheaper and better but god drat I love how he looks! He only performed badly 1 game, the other 2 he did some work and also acted like a huge meat shield. My force was pretty much just a Scoria delivery system while my partner sat back and shot stuff with his krios tanks and capped objectives like a boss with thralls.

BULBASAUR posted:

Looks a lot lime my admech army

J/K, mine has Scoria

I did run him and his finally tally for the day over 3 games was: 1x spartan and its gal vorbak + HQ contents, 1 rhino + its support squad contents, 1x unit of tryant seige terminators + HQ, 1x Contemptor dread, 1 x rhino, 1x Iron Hands gorgon termi unit and its HQ..........................people just kept feeding him elites choices with attached HQs and it was delicious. Closest he came to dying was 1 wound on turn 5 of game 2 but by then he held the center of the table against all comers like some sort of WWE free for all match.

All Hail the the first Demon forge and its under costed lord

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Scoria isn't a robo man, he's a hulked out freight train :black101:

Makes up for cybernetica being the worst admech faction, for sure.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

Scoria isn't a robo man, he's a hulked out freight train :black101:

Makes up for cybernetica being the worst admech faction, for sure.

You mean best admech faction. I5 vorax :whatup:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Scoria is like 125pts undercosted minimum. But dat conversion, very nice!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Killer_Bees! posted:

That was me and yeah he is there pretty much just for looks, he is over costed, and fits no real role that another unit couldn't do cheaper and better but god drat I love how he looks! He only performed badly 1 game, the other 2 he did some work and also acted like a huge meat shield. My force was pretty much just a Scoria delivery system while my partner sat back and shot stuff with his krios tanks and capped objectives like a boss with thralls.

I did run him and his finally tally for the day over 3 games was: 1x spartan and its gal vorbak + HQ contents, 1 rhino + its support squad contents, 1x unit of tryant seige terminators + HQ, 1x Contemptor dread, 1 x rhino, 1x Iron Hands gorgon termi unit and its HQ..........................people just kept feeding him elites choices with attached HQs and it was delicious. Closest he came to dying was 1 wound on turn 5 of game 2 but by then he held the center of the table against all comers like some sort of WWE free for all match.

All Hail the the first Demon forge and its under costed lord

Awesome model (better than the regular thanatar too!), but yeah it's too bad it just doesn't perform. Meanwhile the Deredeo gets a new lascannon that shits all over it.

Did you outflank scoria with the vorax?

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

Awesome model (better than the regular thanatar too!), but yeah it's too bad it just doesn't perform. Meanwhile the Deredeo gets a new lascannon that shits all over it.

Did you outflank scoria with the vorax?

I used scoria as bait mostly and ran him up the middle in cover to bait people into assaults or countered assaults on my robots, it's a trick that will only usually work once on an opponent though haha. Going forward I am totally looking at chucking him in outflanking vorax as that's a threat that would spook anyone's deployment

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Must have been funny when he pointed his magic wand at the Spartan and it melted.

I just finished magnetizing a Castellax, it's surprisingly easy but also a whole lot of magnets. Soon it'll be Scoria time.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
To continue the painted model theme, until transfers arrive my Praetor is done:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lookin ace!

Mango Polo posted:

Must have been funny when he pointed his magic wand at the Spartan and it melted.

I just finished magnetizing a Castellax, it's surprisingly easy but also a whole lot of magnets. Soon it'll be Scoria time.

Just realized Anacharis is one of the few dudes in the gaylexy who can walk all over the 40k Smashfucker build. Hell yeah. Chaos reigns.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Chaos reigns.
Hail Satan.

Ok, so, I am seriously considering a heavy support squad all armed with acid heavy bolters. It's 285 for 10 dudes. They won't be used in my Ironwing list, but should see some use in others. Good idea? Bad idea? Heavy bolters are the coolest looking heavy weapon so it'd be nice to see them get some use for once. I loving love these things.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

adamantium|wang posted:

To continue the painted model theme, until transfers arrive my Praetor is done:

I really loving love the weathering on this.

I did some hazard striping on these rapiers, which I think looks pretty sharp.

panascope fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 25, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah man, those look really sharp. What kind of masking tape did you use?

Safety Factor posted:

Ok, so, I am seriously considering a heavy support squad all armed with acid heavy bolters. It's 285 for 10 dudes. They won't be used in my Ironwing list, but should see some use in others. Good idea? Bad idea? Heavy bolters are the coolest looking heavy weapon so it'd be nice to see them get some use for once. I loving love these things.

I'll let TKWG elaborate, but acid bolters are crazy good.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The tape is from Tamiya I think, it's the same tape I used on the Titan.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Hail Satan.

10 of the things average 16.66 wounds a turn, so you can expect to kill a bit more than 10 marines/vets/bikes or 6 terminators/jetbikes/big robots. They probably need some character or transport support (Master of Signals gets them up to 20.8 wounds a turn ayyyyy) so they end up costing like a medium Death Star, but they'll definitely mess some poo poo up given the opportunity. I'd try it out if I thought they'd get to kill expensive 3+ saved stuff because they have a good chance of deleting a squad a turn.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

10 of the things average 16.66 wounds a turn, so you can expect to kill a bit more than 10 marines/vets/bikes or 6 terminators/jetbikes/big robots. They probably need some character or transport support (Master of Signals gets them up to 20.8 wounds a turn ayyyyy) so they end up costing like a medium Death Star, but they'll definitely mess some poo poo up given the opportunity. I'd try it out if I thought they'd get to kill expensive 3+ saved stuff because they have a good chance of deleting a squad a turn.

Weeeelllll, I have run the numbers too. Assuming that you roll individually for each heavy bolter (I have no idea if this is correct, but it's how I'm going to do things until told otherwise) when they shoot and assuming an even distribution of AP values, it works out like so:
30 shots total
-5 shots at AP1
-5 shots at AP2
-5 shots at AP3
-5 shots at AP4
-5 shots at AP5
-5 shots at AP6

While, I'm aware that it would never work out to groups of 5 in reality, humor me for the sake of this "average" shooting phase. Plus, if you compare AP3 and below to AP4 and above, it works out evenly to 15 and 15 which is just fine as far as a distribution of heavy bolter shots goes.

Alright, so:
15 AP3- at BS4 -> 10 hits -> 8.33 wounds
15 AP4+ at BS4 -> 10 hits -> 8.33 wounds -> 2.78 wounds after armor save

8.33+2.78 = 11.11 wounds assuming no cover save and a target with a 3+ armor save

This post is a good example of why a bored engineer should never be allowed to talk about probability. :shepface: I don't actually let math hammer bullshit guide my decisions, but I crunch the numbers regardless because I am terrible and I like to know what I can expect out of things. I am well aware that models/units will rarely follow examples like this one so they are ultimately completely loving useless, but it takes like a minute in excel so whatever.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I think its once for the unit, other die based abilities like brutal charge work like that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's per bolter. For the sake of speed I wish it wasn't, but TKWG is right. Acid bolters are poo poo hot when you roll well, but like all dice based things, if you end up with AP6 on a critical round of shooting it can cost you the game. That's part of the fun though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rolling AP per heavy bolter only adds one step to shooting. You roll one die per bolter, separate the actual shots into PENETRATES ARMOR and DOESN'T PENETRATE ARMOR and you're good to go.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

What if you are playing against blackshields :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

What if you are playing against blackshields :colbert:
It... wouldn't change anything..? Pariah armor goes down to a 5+ versus S6+ (though I am unsure how this interacts with, say, an autocannon at S7 AP4 since the wording is not all that clear) and the acid rounds are only S2.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Oh. My bad.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
You could consider a Librarian too. To hit re-rolls with Prescience, and you get a chance at giving the squad a 4++ (Forewarning ), making the Librarian super tanky at the front (Precognition), full BS on overwatch (Foreboding), and... poo poo, actually every single Divination power rules except for one for these guys.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Divination rules.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Now that the new book is out the meta for everyone is probably shifting. What are you dudes seeing?

I expect lots and lots of veterans, lots of speeders, plenty of orbital assault lists, a few tank heavy armies, possibly a rhino wall, and just maybe an infantry swarm or two. The thing I'm almost certain will shift is more of a focus on outflankhammer/deepstrikehammer 30k. Legion lists are slow and ponderous and those are some of cheapest ways around that issue. The best counter is interceptor and as you dudes convinced me legions don't have the right tools for da job.

I've been mathhammering this weekend looking for solutions and the best I have found comes down to allies. Admech can grant any of their units interceptor, which is top notch. SA also have some interesting options. I think Admech is the way to go for me and my Iron Assholes. For about 400 points I can build a pretty scary interdiction force.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I think interceptor is going to be quite important. A Deredeo is an excellent choice here. The ability to knock out the rhino that the out flanking vets have come on in and force a pinning check could be crucial.

The only thing I'm slightly bummed about is the standard dudes are now really good compared to a lot of the special dudes. Why would you take Mor Deythan or Ashen Circle now? :/

I'm going to use the models, but just a shame you can't use the rules.

In other news I'm finishing up a bunch of Horrors which I had lying around, based all my current WB. Now I'm going to finish off some rando projects, sell my IG, and prepare for 40 ashen circle + Spartan + Zardu Layak order. Thank god for airbrushes.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I wish I had a meta :(

But more seriously, where do you see Interceptor in admech? Augury Scanners are everywhere for both legions and admech, which covers deep strikers fairly well, but I don't see much for outflankers/reserves.

RE: Deredeo. Skyfire means it only snap shots at ground targets.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 25, 2016

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

I wish I had a meta :(

But more seriously, where do you see Interceptor in admech? Augury Scanners are everywhere for both legions and admech, which covers deep strikers fairly well, but I don't see much for outflankers/reserves.

RE: Deredeo. Skyfire means it only snap shots at ground targets.

Cyber occularis grant interceptor to units in a 3" bubble and are downright amazing.
As for Mor dethyn and ashen circle you still can't replicate a bunch of twin linked rending combi Flamers and the circle are still jump troops where vets are not. This doesn't extend to like reavers or rampages though, poor fellas.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 25, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh that's right. But it's a pretty hefty tax to get the magic eighteyeballs. 160 points, and then +15 each. Not counting the extra equipment to make the dude useful (e.g. another +15 for the familiar). Though he does get +1 to reserves too, which is pretty nice.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 25, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I meant ashen circle vs new assault Marines. Eye wateringly more expensive for what you get.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

I meant ashen circle vs new assault Marines. Eye wateringly more expensive for what you get.
FW had previously managed to overprice every single jump unit in the game. I don't know what they have against jump packs, but they also seem to love overvaluing siege units while they're at it. It's just one of their foibles. At least assault marines are good now. If it wasn't for the slight decrease in tactical squads I'd probably say assault squads were too cheap by comparison. It's going to take some time for that decrease to reach the legion-specific units though. I don't know why FW didn't already do this. They probably worked rear end-backwards and revisited the legion-specific units first instead of tweaking the generic list and then looking at those units in that new context. Maybe they'll issue a FAQ, but I'm not counting on it. On the bright side, none of this effects me because my legion has no unique units yet. :v:

I wish they had done something to destroyers though. I've got eventual plans for a squad of those guys in MkIII. They'll be good some day and I'll be ready. :gbsmith:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Question: Help I want to use [a bad, costly unit] but it's so [bad and costly]! What do I do?

quote:

Answer: Buy a Deredeo, one Siege Breaker and nine Rapiers. Then buy whatever the gently caress you want but do consider a Typhon.

quote:

Question: I won and [bad unit] was super fun to use! But I lost all my friends?! What do I do?!

quote:

Answer: Congratulations, you now have more time available for The Horus Heresy. Consider starting a new legion, buying a Deredeo, one Siege Breaker and nine more Rapiers and painting them in a brand new colour scheme.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Oh that's right. But it's a pretty hefty tax to get the magic eighteyeballs. 160 points, and then +15 each. Not counting the extra equipment to make the dude useful (e.g. another +15 for the familiar). Though he does get +1 to reserves too, which is pretty nice.

+1 to ballistic skill for any unit, including himself, ontop of that.

It's all about how you outfit your mags, really. He doesn't have to be an archmagos either so for an allied detachment it makes sense to keep him basic. Since he's an IC you can focus on making him the transport popper and then your other units as your marine woodchippers. Lots of options really. I'd hate to deepstrike anywhere near some secutors with plasma fusils (as one example).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
My mistake, I switched the Djinn-Skein and Cyber-occulus. That's nice then.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Well tbh what I do like about the Heresy is that by and large taking cool fluffy stuff is never going to absolutely gimp you.

unless you play Iron Warriors lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What are the other 'worst units' of 30k? The admech siege robot with a single S10 Ap2 laser shot comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
AL Headhunters, Thanatar-Calix.