Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

dis astranagant posted:

With Wing Diver it's just a matter of using your best rapier (bonus points if it's a plasma whip) and keeping to the edge of the blob.

You can also outrun the majority of the horde by boost jumping until you overheat and spend the time on the ground rebooting burning down the fringe using a gun with some capacity (Mid-Range Laser or Thunder Bow). This does take some good balancing of your energy meter because eventually you'll need to reload your weapon, which you will want to do while you're on the upswing of your next jump. Use smaller jumps to dive towards health pickups when needed. If buildings are left standing (:v:) those are good places to waste time in recovery mode, plus added height for your next jump so when you do overheat you have more time in the air recovering that energy. Mobility is how you survive as a Wing Diver in higher difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Is there any way to disable the weapon level restrictions in multiplayer? I assumed I could do it if I host the room, but the option is grayed out.

I only play multiplayer with my wife, and we're annoyed that we can't farm up a few ridiculous weapons in Hard and use them on lower levels. (Hell, we can't even use some of the stuff we found on Normal in lower levels of Normal.)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

WhiteHowler posted:

Is there any way to disable the weapon level restrictions in multiplayer? I assumed I could do it if I host the room, but the option is grayed out.

I only play multiplayer with my wife, and we're annoyed that we can't farm up a few ridiculous weapons in Hard and use them on lower levels. (Hell, we can't even use some of the stuff we found on Normal in lower levels of Normal.)

Cheat Engine, or get 70% completion which would take hundreds of hours.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While nowhere near as fun for Ants or any good for deliberately leveling buildings, good lord I love introducing bees to the Emerald launchers.

I honestly prefer fighting a ton of bees over normal drones, because even though they are spamming needles eberywhere they tend to be just slow and large enough to murder at a much higher rate with anything you've got on you, or even get caught in clusters by splash damage. Plus their added mass means they don't immediately pinball away from rapid/swarm weapons before 90% of the hits can register. Red FLYING INSECTS are also basically a joke compared to Red Drones because of this.

This is also why I like the upgraded (not red) Drones. Sure that laser beam is more scary when they fire it, but once again, easier to hit target without it being notably more durable than a regular drone.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Obsurveyor posted:

The videos are going to be excellent once someone figures out the address for credits and people start spawning tons of giant mechs all over the map.
There's an infinite ammo cheat out there already and it works on vehicle credits as well.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Well, I'm quite liking the AA Vegalta. The missile pods are handy as is the high speed turning torso. It doesn't seem like a bad choice for intensive ant fighting.

It's not painting the power frame yellow, weilding a Jackhammer and declaring yourself the Imperial Fist, but it'll do.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I'm doing pretty well on Normal but it seems like I'm just getting my rear end handed to me on Hard. I can't even get past the last wave of the first mission, because I just can't do enough damage to keep the ants from doing that rush-grab thing that eats a third of your health, and dodging is a no-go because it's basically the ant version of bullet hell. I'm playing Ranger; are there any pro-strats I'm possibly ignoring?

e: noteworthy, I'm only on like mission 10 on Normal, though, so maybe I just need to farm more weapons and armor.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Do mission 2 instead, it's actually easier than mission one.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Since we're cool with talking about Cheat Engine, I was wondering if there was a script that would double my pickups automatically? I don't want to constantly alt+tab out to change the value in CE but I also don't want to just do an "unlock all" script. It's probably easy to add in something to just double that final value but I don't know how to script for Cheat Engine.

Basically what I mean is that when I pick up 1 armor/weapon crate the cheat engine script would change that to 2 armor/weapon crates. It pretty much would be just doing that Split-Screen thing but with only one person.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 25, 2016

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I'm doing pretty well on Normal but it seems like I'm just getting my rear end handed to me on Hard. I can't even get past the last wave of the first mission, because I just can't do enough damage to keep the ants from doing that rush-grab thing that eats a third of your health, and dodging is a no-go because it's basically the ant version of bullet hell. I'm playing Ranger; are there any pro-strats I'm possibly ignoring?

Honestly, skip mission 1 for Hard and hit up 2 instead. The end of mission 1 is just mean if your weapons aren't upgraded.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coolguye posted:

Do mission 2 instead, it's actually easier than mission one.

SilverMike posted:

Honestly, skip mission 1 for Hard and hit up 2 instead. The end of mission 1 is just mean if your weapons aren't upgraded.

:psyduck: That is really counter-intuitive. Good to know I'm not just a Bad, though

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Are dragons still monumentally annoying fuckers?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cowman posted:

Since we're cool with talking about Cheat Engine, I was wondering if there was a script that would double my pickups automatically? I don't want to constantly alt+tab out to change the value in CE but I also don't want to just do an "unlock all" script. It's probably easy to add in something to just double that final value but I don't know how to script for Cheat Engine.

Basically what I mean is that when I pick up 1 armor/weapon crate the cheat engine script would change that to 2 armor/weapon crates. It pretty much would be just doing that Split-Screen thing but with only one person.

I believe CE will allow you to bind cheat macros to keys? if so, just make one that doubles your pickups and tap it before you end a mission.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Are dragons still monumentally annoying fuckers?

Not as much as spiders. Plus a lot of levels with Dragons in them are still standing cites and they kinda suck at swarming you through alleys or getting underneath subway station platforms, etc.

Keep an eye out for any that's botched their landing and fill them full of lead/lasers/hammers too, that helps thin them out quite a bit because you have a nice easy target a lot of the time once they start divebombing their skulls into the pavement.

Seriously I've been getting complacent in hard mode dealing with dragons, bees, fancy drones. Then it's back to a big cave full of a shitload of spiders and ow, loving OW.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 25, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Coolguye posted:

I believe CE will allow you to bind cheat macros to keys? if so, just make one that doubles your pickups and tap it before you end a mission.

Doesn't have it as a default hotkey option and I have no idea how to make it to begin with.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I started with mission 2 on Hard and :sbahj:

I'm not getting my rear end completely handed to me anymore and, out of the two weapons I've gotten, both the Buffalo G3-Burst and MRLA-2 are hilariously awesome. The G3-Burst takes out a Retiarius web in like 2 shots and then the Retiarius in another one or two, making them utterly trivial, and standing back from a fight and making GBS threads out homing missiles at everything is incredible

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: noteworthy, I'm only on like mission 10 on Normal, though, so maybe I just need to farm more weapons and armor.
The grenade launcher with 4 nades and its hard mode counterpart with 12, pretty much provide everything I needed for a Ranger.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I wonder if the game could be modded to add the missing audio clips into the Wing Divers (ie the songs). The AI reacts when you play them, so I assume there's a trigger and the file is just missing.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
This is the third version of this game across three platforms and wing divers never sang. I don't think it's a bug.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Goliath D1 is incredible holy gently caress

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lynx Winters posted:

This is the third version of this game across three platforms and wing divers never sang. I don't think it's a bug.
They aren't manly enough to sing the EDF song, clearly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
More likely: they straight-up forgot to record those lines and didn't have the budget to call the Wing Diver VA back in for another session. Aren't these games made on shoestring budgets?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

GNU Order posted:

Mission 29 changed my life.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Can't wait to do it on hard~

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 26, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mission 29 would be the big climax of most games.

Here, they haven't even shown you the loving Godzilla yet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Night10194 posted:

He's in mission 27

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He's in mission 27

Oh, right. I got it mixed up. Still, you don't get to really fight him at that point, just play with him some.

Can you kill him in that level if you have a crazy rapier or something?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Oh, right. I got it mixed up. Still, you don't get to really fight him at that point, just play with him some.

Can you kill him in that level if you have a crazy rapier or something?

He probably has plot armor like the missions where the Mothership is just doing a flyby with the Genocide Gun. "Doesn't this sniper rifle take out the floating laser plates in one hit-oh right."

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I mean you can't even kill those boring old transports in the first level they show up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean you can't even kill those boring old transports in the first level they show up.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Section Z posted:

He probably has plot armor like the missions where the Mothership is just doing a flyby with the Genocide Gun. "Doesn't this sniper rifle take out the floating laser plates in one hit-oh right."

I would love a joke game over screen mgs3 style where you blow up the mothership first thing, and then smash cut to credits. PROBLEM SOLVED, GAME OVER.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Mission 36 (37?) WAS the climax of 2017. And there are 50-ish more levels

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Oh my god I just got the Vegalta Pisslord (Fireghost). It's AMAZING how fast it is.

Also I second the notion of spamming Attack Whale guns. Just gotta get used to the limpet guns.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Goliath D1 is incredible holy gently caress
Definitely one of my favorite weapons through normal. Using it in a game with other goons right now actually. Its big brother, the Goliath Z, is even bigger and better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

InfinityComplex posted:

Also I second the notion of spamming Attack Whale guns. Just gotta get used to the limpet guns.

it's even more satisfying because Whale's pilot gets into it so hard. i half suspect he was a ground pounder at some point. "Confirm marker!" *BLAM* "WHALE IS THE GRIM REAPER OF THE SKIES!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coolguye posted:

it's even more satisfying because Whale's pilot gets into it so hard. i half suspect he was a ground pounder at some point. "Confirm marker!" *BLAM* "WHALE IS THE GRIM REAPER OF THE SKIES!"

Whale is the best buddy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, so what's fencer got vs wasp swarms?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Infinite sadness.

Alternatively, missile launchers.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

dis astranagant posted:

Ok, so what's fencer got vs wasp swarms?

Hit them with your sword.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
JAVELINS OF COURSE. SEND THEIR OWN WEAPONS RIGHT BACK AT THEM.

Seriously though, not much that isn't considered complete overkill for them. Gatling guns maybe. Buddies to handle the skies while you concentrate on the ground.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just saw a buddy of mine use the Javelin Launchers for the first time and it was hilarious.

I have no idea if he even hit anything, but just watching this neverending rain of swords from the sky in the general direction of the ants was splendid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Unhappy Meal posted:

Hit them with your sword.

Seriously, the dyna force blades or whatever their anime name is will gently caress up wasps. Just jet around like a lunatic and lightsaber the fuckers out of the sky.

I wouldn't recommend gatlings though, Wasps are trivial until you stand still for a bit, then they all wreck your poo poo. The gatling requires standing still or moving very slowly to spin up. They'll tear a swarm apart though, if you can get someone to cover you while you get the barrels moving.