Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Xerxes17 posted:

Also, I would have thought a no-brainer name for the app would have been "Potemkin-Go!".

He is indeed traditionally associated with augmented reality of sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Hey, GlobalResearch.org is a part of the Kremlin network isn't it? I have a friend who is swallowing everything theycsay hook line and sinker :negative:

Apperntly Ukraine was a pure CIA coup and the DNR is a courageous self defense action. :negative:

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.

Xerxes17 posted:

Hey, GlobalResearch.org is a part of the Kremlin network isn't it? I have a friend who is swallowing everything theycsay hook line and sinker :negative:

Apperntly Ukraine was a pure CIA coup and the DNR is a courageous self defense action. :negative:

I don't know about the Kremlin network but they definitely are bonkers conspiracy people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jygallax posted:

I don't know about the Kremlin network but they definitely are bonkers conspiracy people.
It's funded by Canadian Russian economics professor from Ottawa Michel Chossudovsky, who writes for Russia Today. Still, I'd say that they are just conspiracy nuts, since amongst other things they also cry about literally every conspiracy theory on the planet, from the true power of homeopathy to global Bilderberg government.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The neighbors won't prevent Latvian troops from manoeuvering...

Still, spreading a force of pretty homogenous conscripts over a larger area seems like a recipe for letting a force of crack enemy soldiers to pick them off.

Depends on what we mean by spreading. This conversation is pretty abstract. Russians have equipment that is very suitable for massed area fires. That's probably not something you want to play into.

But if all you have is bunch of lightly armed troops that can't support each other due to the distances, then that is a recipe for disaster too, or guerilla war.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/757669383179235330

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/757673617073270784

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The neighbors won't prevent Latvian troops from manoeuvering...

Still, spreading a force of pretty homogenous conscripts over a larger area seems like a recipe for letting a force of crack enemy soldiers to pick them off.

Well it's not necessarily an ideal use of resources to have highly trained and specialized soldiers guarding infrastructure behind the lines either - which you kinda have to do. Like you don't use a SWAT trained police officer to sit around in a Walmart at night. You use a security guard and give him a phone so he can call the police if he can't handle it. Conscripts are probably fine for manning fortified positions while the professional troops can play at maneuver warfare, combined arms and whatnot. You need that professional army though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xerxes17 posted:

Also, I would have thought a no-brainer name for the app would have been "Potemkin-Go!".

It'd need to come with a warning about staircases, especially if you're pushing a pram with you.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Romania and Belarus Olympic canoe teams disqualified for doping.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/romania-belarus-canoe-teams-banned-olympics-doping-40632746

quote:

The International Canoe Federation has banned sprint teams from Romania and Belarus from the Rio de Janeiro Olympics for widespread doping.

The ICF says its executive board imposed one-year suspensions for both teams "with immediate effect."

ICF President Jose Perurena says "we will do everything within our powers to remove them (cheats) from our sport."

Olympic places will be reallocated by Monday's deadline after talks with the IOC and national Olympic bodies, the world canoeing body says.

The ICF says "systemic doping" by Romania's team with meldonium, an eastern European heart drug banned since January, was proven after 11 athletes tested positive at training in April.

Five Belarus team members violated anti-doping rules at a training camp in France that is the subject of a criminal investigation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like it's becoming clearer and clearer that the Russians had something to do with the DNC leaks. The "Putin & Trump" conspiracy theory seems to be now entering the mainstream.
https://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/bears-midst-intrusion-democratic-national-committee/

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Yeah, well.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/758071952498159616

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

But do they have investments in Trump :smuggo:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Which right-wing populist party doesn't Russia have investments in?

(Maybe some Croatians?)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

But do they have investments in Trump :smuggo:

... Donald Trump Jr's more general comments in 2008 that “Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets" and “We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.” (TPM)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I read an interesting thing a couple days ago that the hacker stuff might not be motivated by putins love of trump but rather his extreme dislike of Hillary. Some of her sec state stuff coincided with rough times for him, and she oversaw the "reset" when he was trying to build influence again.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

"We can't call him a pigfucker!" "Yeah, but let's make him deny it."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

I read an interesting thing a couple days ago that the hacker stuff might not be motivated by putins love of trump but rather his extreme dislike of Hillary. Some of her sec state stuff coincided with rough times for him, and she oversaw the "reset" when he was trying to build influence again.

Absolutely, but Putin and state media paint Obama with the same brush, even when he is barely half as hawkish as Clinton.
Putin loves Trump for the same reasons North Korea loves Trump - a complete doofus leading the USA would immensely help building up anti-American sentiment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

Absolutely, but Putin and state media paint Obama with the same brush, even when he is barely half as hawkish as Clinton.
Putin loves Trump for the same reasons North Korea loves Trump - a complete doofus leading the USA would immensely help building up anti-American sentiment.
Hey if Marie Le Pen becomes France's fascist leader next year can we reintroduce freedom fries?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Which right-wing populist party doesn't Russia have investments in?

(Maybe some Croatians?)

PiS, maybe?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Macierewicz (PiS member and minister of defense) has some weird friends that worked in security dept during communist times. Also Rydzyk had pretty good relations with Yeltsin's Russia to a point that his catholic radio was blasted to the most of the world from Russia. It depends how :tinfoil: you'd like to be, but some prople have some connections. Probably mostly just business before political posturing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Young Freud posted:

Looks like it's becoming clearer and clearer that the Russians had something to do with the DNC leaks. The "Putin & Trump" conspiracy theory seems to be now entering the mainstream.
https://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/bears-midst-intrusion-democratic-national-committee/
Even if Trump had nothing to do with it - it would be still in Russia's highest interest to aid him in winning considering his ideas about NATO and US involvement in Europe (which originate from his ties with Russia but hey). If you think about it it's the highest priority game for Russia atm, the amount of leverage they would gain from having a US president that doesn't give a poo poo about Europe would be their biggest win in decades. It was only a matter of time for them to go from Putin's vocal Trump endorsement to actually doing something more substantial about it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever proven any real ties between Trump and Russia other than "some staffer once worked for some Russian organization"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

-Troika- posted:

Has anyone ever proven any real ties between Trump and Russia other than "some staffer once worked for some Russian organization"

Trump supposedly has difficulty getting loans from US banks, and has some German bank assets. Supposedly, its a bank known for having Russian ties.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Manaford, Trump's campaign chairman worked closely with Yanukovych before he fled the country to Russia. Page, Trump's foreign policy advisor worked on a high position with Gazprom. A lawsuit revealed that some of Trump's buildings were founded with money coming from Russia.

It all doesn't really matter though imo. This might as well all amount to nothing. What matters is Trump's stance on Russia and him openly stating that he won't honor NATO's pacts in case of a Russian invasion in EE. He also softened the Republicans' manifesto on their stance on the situation in Eastern Ukraine. It's all very beneficial to Russia whether he has actual ties or not and it's not surprising Russians would support him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think Trump himself has political ties to speak of, but his obvious disinterest in governance means that if he ends up winning, it will open the gates for a cohort of cronies open to getting kickbacks from Russia and Putin admirers (who are arguably among his campaign managers) to gain some degree of influence.

quote:

It all doesn't really matter though imo. This might as well all amount to nothing. What matters is Trump's stance on Russia and him openly stating that he won't honor NATO's pacts in case of a Russian invasion in EE. He also softened the Republicans' manifesto on their stance on the situation in Eastern Ukraine. It's all very beneficial to Russia whether he has actual ties or not and it's not surprising Russians would support him.
I don't think that matters either. Rumors are already circulating that Trump is trying to outsource potential policy making during his presidency to other GOP politicians in an effort to become a face of the office without having to actually care about anything. Which is problematic in itself since it makes it impossible to guess what the Trump administration's foreign policy would be on any issue. Even Trump seems to be flipping a coin / casting a wide net and hoping to catch a workable platform made by somebody else.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 27, 2016

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

There was a religious procession happening in Ukraine. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate is leading a procession to Kyiv, and it's seen as a way for the Kremlin to be provocative in Ukraine.

http://obozrevatel.com/crime/17450-krestnyij-hod-na-kiev-gotova-li-stolitsa-otrazhat-provokatsii.htm

https://twitter.com/LIGAnet/status/758248144790511618

https://twitter.com/Golos106fm/status/758233871557287937

https://twitter.com/krymrealii/status/758227469132521472

https://twitter.com/zvezdanews/status/758179948167258112

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair it probably is, given Russian orthodox church being basically just another propaganda bureau.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Was russia always such a dick? To be honest, I only started following the developments in EE since the Krim and MH17. If the country was a person, I would assume it was acting like this due to a lack of attention

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Poland just got its 3 months notice to stop loving with the rule of law from the commission.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2643_en.htm

After the three months the way to EU sanctions will be legally open.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Thatim posted:

Was russia always such a dick? To be honest, I only started following the developments in EE since the Krim and MH17. If the country was a person, I would assume it was acting like this due to a lack of attention
Russia has two modes: Weak and unstable, or dick.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

waitwhatno posted:

Poland just got its 3 months notice to stop loving with the rule of law from the commission.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2643_en.htm

After the three months the way to EU sanctions will be legally open.
Watch PiS start threatening Plexit over this.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Palpek posted:

Watch PiS start threatening Plexit over this.

I'd be genuinely interested to see what happens if PiS hit that nerve right now, you'd expect the EU to make Syriza look like a compromise by comparison.

:unsmith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Thatim posted:

Was russia always such a dick?
Yes. Russia calms down during economically worse times like at the end of 80's. But when things go well and Russia isn't busy collapsing onto itself then suddenly it's remembered that every nearby territory belonged to Russia at some point in history which makes it a fair game to invade and also everybody is a threat so you need to keep Russia safe by attacking first. Mix that with insane corruption, Pan-slavism, imperialism, revisionist approach to history and ruthless past leaders to look up to and things get interesting.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Palpek posted:

Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign chairman worked closely with Yanukovych before he fled the country to Russia. Carter Page, Trump's foreign policy advisor worked on a high position with Gazprom. A lawsuit revealed that some of Trump's buildings were founded with money coming from Russia.

Fixed this for you, since I think it's important to have their names.

Palpek posted:

Of course, neither are mutually exclusive.

Alexander Dugin's been going around the United States, attending white seperatist meetings

Oh and he endorsed Trump.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Trump's border wall project is clearly mason lobbying.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Thatim posted:

It's pretty mild by historic standards for that country FWIW. For example, they are not engaging in large-scale ethnic resettlements at the moment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

It's pretty mild by historic standards for that country FWIW. For example, they are not engaging in large-scale ethnic resettlements at the moment.

Except resettling Ukrainians from Donbass and Crimea? :v:

They've been that way for a while, it was just more contained until Georgia. But they saw that nothing happened and here we are.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Palpek posted:

Yes. Russia calms down during economically worse times like at the end of 80's. But when things go well and Russia isn't busy collapsing onto itself then suddenly it's remembered that every nearby territory belonged to Russia at some point in history which makes it a fair game to invade and also everybody is a threat so you need to keep Russia safe by attacking first. Mix that with insane corruption, Pan-slavism, imperialism, revisionist approach to history and ruthless past leaders to look up to and things get interesting.

This, but in picture form:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair it probably is, given Russian orthodox church being basically just another propaganda bureau.

You'd be surprised, but UOC (MP) enjoys a considerable amount of freedom from Moscow. Only recently they've prohibited a priest from service basically for wearing a St. George's ribbon on Victory Day. Local priests may be more loyal to Moscow and more involved in pro-Russian initiatives, but Ukrainian Synod in general is very neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

You'd be surprised, but UOC (MP) enjoys a considerable amount of freedom from Moscow. Only recently they've prohibited a priest from service basically for wearing a St. George's ribbon on Victory Day. Local priests may be more loyal to Moscow and more involved in pro-Russian initiatives, but Ukrainian Synod in general is very neutral.

So neutral their big wigs refuse to stand up in memory of Ukrainian soldiers killed fighting against Russia, and some of their priests even refuse to hold funeral services for them.