Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Just get the goddamn CBP okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gort posted:

Just get the goddamn CBP okay

I really wish I could, the features does seems interesting

But, as the above poster, its sadly windows only

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Elias_Maluco posted:

I really wish I could, the features does seems interesting

But, as the above poster, its sadly windows only

So install windows

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gort posted:

So install windows

Actually I do have a copy of 7 installed, I just refuse to use it. Too much of a hassle to reboot

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
How come the CP and CBP are weird installers and not just steam workshop items?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Baronjutter posted:

How come the CP and CBP are weird installers and not just steam workshop items?

They're too big. Also I believe the mods are easier for the modders to manage in that form.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also they work in multiplayer that way.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rexides posted:

It's great that the district system is promoting city specialization (or so it seems to me). I wish that in Civ 7 they will just get rid of buildings "inside" a city (basically a list of things that are bunched together in a tile), and move more to dynamic districts that evolve over time.

That seems to be what they're going for though. All the old buildings are now built in districts, even wonders need to be plopped down on tiles.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I heard CBP made the game too easy?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Also whoever said Montezuma has the best hat is incorrect.

Pacal's hat is on point. Honorable mention to Sejong and Pachacuti

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

It's supposed to make the game harder

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

canyoneer posted:

Pacal's hat is on point. Honorable mention to Sejong and Pachacuti

Sulieman would like a word.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cythereal posted:

Sulieman would like a word.

He's got a whole book, is there no end to his greed?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

Combat AI is supposedly better, but AI resource bonuses are spread throughout the eras, so the early game is significantly easier. That is, you can actually get a religion and maybe a wonder or two even on higher levels.

At least, that was my impression by playing a little bit.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rexides posted:

Combat AI is supposedly better, but AI resource bonuses are spread throughout the eras, so the early game is significantly easier. That is, you can actually get a religion and maybe a wonder or two even on higher levels.

At least, that was my impression by playing a little bit.

The combat AI is better, but not by a lot and the human is even more capable of taking a huge lead given the improved tile yields.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
So I bought Civ 5 on sale last month and decided to finally play one of these games on PC and actually learn how to play it well.

Then my computer melted.

While I'm waiting to get a proper new machine, what would you guys recommend I do to get my Civ fix on a much less powerful machine? Civ 2? Civ 3? One of the Civ Revs on ios?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Minus1Minus1 posted:

So I bought Civ 5 on sale last month and decided to finally play one of these games on PC and actually learn how to play it well.

Then my computer melted.

While I'm waiting to get a proper new machine, what would you guys recommend I do to get my Civ fix on a much less powerful machine? Civ 2? Civ 3? One of the Civ Revs on ios?

Civ4 is an excellent game in its own right and much less demanding than Civ5 is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is amazing and different enough from mainline Civ to play on its own.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
France!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eINr4EqAkSc

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Catherine de Medici was one of the more out there ones so it looks like reddit's guesswork has paid off.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A Wonder/Culture based Civ with an Espionage-based leader. Looks like a ton of fun, honestly.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I think the most interesting thing about this video is not France itself, but how it implies that even information like a civ declaring war on another civ now has to be obtained through spies, and that the espionage system comes into play much, much earlier.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Was that Mont St. Michel being way inland? The pyramids have to be on desert but they couldn't make Mont St. Michel be like, at least on the coast?

Also is this the first time Espionage was mentioned as being in?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They said that all the major features from the previous game are going to be in, so not really.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
That's interesting. I listened to the interview with 2 previous designers of Civ, and they both said that espionage didn't work but that it always came up when talking about expansions and poo poo.

Maybe this time, because they're incorporating it so early, it will actually work? It sounds like espionage will actually give extra information to the player now, instead of just allowing you to steal tech or whatever.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They just keep filling in that leader board, don't they?

I'm curious on the numbers for France's "mid-game" Wonder bonus. I'm guessing that's Medieval-Renaissance, though it might squeeze Industrial in, too, if the late-game is considered Modern-Atomic-Information again.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Where's her baguette?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A glass of wine is baguette-ish

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Jay Rust posted:

A glass of wine is baguette-ish

It's Cersei-ish, more importantly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Transcribing from Well of Souls for those who can't watch the video:

France
Leader: Catherine de Medici
Leader Bonus: Extra intelligence/gossip from every met civilization
Unique Unit: Imperial Guard (improved Musketman)
Unique Building: Chateau (yields culture, must be built near a river and gains bonuses from adjacency to wonders)
Special Ability: Grande Tour (bonus for construction of mid-game wonders and increased tourism from wonders)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Edit: Confirmed fake. Will still leave the picture.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 26, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Seems obvious considering there are leader bonuses.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'm dubious because Gamestar just a had a big article/reveal last month.
Would be weird for them to do back-to-back previews/reveals for the same game.
Also, if it's from Gamestar, why is it in English?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

I should not have read the comments

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Twibbit posted:

I should not have read the comments

People bitching about a woman leading France, I assume?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cythereal posted:

I'm sure every other comment is also "lol surrender monkey"

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Cythereal posted:

People bitching about that woman leading France and not one of the numerous male personalities that have been involved with French history. One did actually suggest Jeanne d'Arc, though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Wanst she born in Italy? That seems like a more valid reason to complain

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elias_Maluco posted:

She was, then married King Henry II of France and was regent and then advisor for her three sons - she was widely regarded as the true power of France at the time, and historians rate her as one of the most powerful women in Europe of the medieval and Renaissance periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Why does that invalidate her? She spent her entire adult life in France, as the Queen, and queen mother/regent. While she didn't directly rule for very long, she was the main power behind the throne for decades, had a huge influence on French policy, and did a lot of patronage and building projects.
It's kinda insulting to suggest that she isn't French really.