Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is there a practical use for pressure pads? I've seen gimmick uses for them (escape labyrinths) but I've struggled to think of a good reason to use them in a normal prison.

Also, what's the difference between a remote door and a normal door with a servo attached?

A remote door can't be opened normally. A normal door with a servo can be opened by anyone with a key (if it's a staff/jail/solitary door), but the servo will usually open it first (if the station is manned). I found this out when the guy on the door control for my armory left his post right before the tazer rollout happened, so nobody could get into the armory to gear up until someone else took over the controls.

I usually use servos on my road gates and cellblock entrances. I use solitary doors with servos instead of remote doors - that way, if the power goes out or someone decides to leave their post, the door is still accessible by guards (I've also started doubling up on coverage for important doors and cameras, so they're ideally never not manned). I haven't really used pressure pads or logic gates or any of that. It's totally not necessary, but it's nice that there are more toys in the sandbox. Plus, Chris was so excited in the alpha videos when he talked about that stuff. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Remote door advantages:
- Really tough, takes a massive effort to bring down with force
- Can't be opened with keys, so stolen keys won't help escape attempts get past it

Remote door disadvantages:
- Expensive
- Requires door control infrastructure
- Can't be opened with keys, so legitimate users are dependent on the door control station being manned

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Is there a practical use for pressure pads? I've seen gimmick uses for them (escape labyrinths) but I've struggled to think of a good reason to use them in a normal prison.
Put it on the "safe" side of a heavily used door so that it doesn't distract the overworked door operator who's busy opening the other 99 doors in the prison.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Has performance been noticeably better for you guys? Haven't played in a few months, but I always started to chug halfway through building my dream prison :( A performance-focused update is pretty much what I've been waiting for.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

doctor iono posted:

Has performance been noticeably better for you guys? Haven't played in a few months, but I always started to chug halfway through building my dream prison :( A performance-focused update is pretty much what I've been waiting for.

Don't have the patch notes right on hand but I'm pretty sure performance increases were addressed, yeah

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Been awhile since I played as well. The one single improvement on my wishlist, personally, is for some kind of notification/warning to be shown when a death row inmate wins his appeal and is suddenly dropped into genpop, because holy poo poo the bloodbaths I've seen

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oh man I love random events but the "here's more prisoners, dwi" event is a loving kick in the teeth. I was running a nice mininum security prison and then all of a sudden I had 25 MedSec fuckers dumped on me, and all of 40 mins to prepare. None of my systems can cope. My kitchen couldn't meet demand so minsec went hungry and started kicking off and disturbing all my nice reform programs, and the MedSec fuckers murdered someone on the first day, ruining my spotless record. Bastards.

I love this game but I hate it but I love it really

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've rather fond of my chapel

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I've rather fond of my chapel

I really need to start building more non-rectangle rooms.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

doctor iono posted:

They loaded a 1162 prisoner, 621 staff prison at 14:00 in the update 5 video to showcase the performance upgrades.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

blunt posted:

I really need to start building more non-rectangle rooms.

Now that you mention it that's my only non-rectangle room... but I do like all my other rectangles to be in nice configurations (I'm particularly pleased with my kitchen-canteen setup: )

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I usually have a dedicated office block that's fairly non - rectangular. The normal cell blocks get easily cloned modular designs, solitary and good behaviour cell blocks get run asymmetrical designs

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4NCrgMhYA

News items:
  • Introversion won a BAFTA for Prison Architect
  • Work tasks can be made high priority so workers will drop everything else
  • Highlight a task to see which worker is assigned to it, press F to follow them around
  • Seasons and weather events
  • Chris is stepping down from Prison Architect to work on...
  • New game prototypes. They are asking people to vote on which one they want to see developed.
    • Scanner Sombre: Some sort of cave exploration game where you see via a LIDAR scanner, a la Radiohead's "House of Cards" music video.
    • Wrong Wire: A bomb-defusal game pulled out of the wreckage of Subversion. A single-player Keep Talking, trying to be more serious and realistic.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Are those prototypes available to play anywhere? They both look pretty cool.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Spaseman posted:

Are those prototypes available to play anywhere? They both look pretty cool.

Currently, no. They had the prototypes available at the Rezzed Game Show, but that was about it.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

:aaa:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

reassign to death row

that motherfucker hurt a dog

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh man I love random events but the "here's more prisoners, dwi" event is a loving kick in the teeth. I was running a nice mininum security prison and then all of a sudden I had 25 MedSec fuckers dumped on me, and all of 40 mins to prepare. None of my systems can cope. My kitchen couldn't meet demand so minsec went hungry and started kicking off and disturbing all my nice reform programs, and the MedSec fuckers murdered someone on the first day, ruining my spotless record. Bastards.

I love this game but I hate it but I love it really

Wait, can't you just only take in the max capacity you have? Or was this event bypassing it because it's an event

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

reassign to death row

that motherfucker hurt a dog

No joke, I clicked Freefire the instant he did that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

widespread posted:

Wait, can't you just only take in the max capacity you have? Or was this event bypassing it because it's an event

You've never been constrained to your cell capacity. It's just that since they reworked the intake control UI, going over capacity is a more deliberate action from the player.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ugh, I noticed this game was on sale so I bought it and then stayed up all night playing the campaign

My prison is an ugly mess and I wish I could just copy my other 25-cell block so I could more easily get up to 100 capacity, but at least it doesn't seem like maximum security prisoners or gangs show up on the campaign

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Copying good blocks works out pretty well in my experience, but you need to know what you're doing ahead of time.

This is my general cell block. It's designed to be a self-contained mini-prison for about 60 inmates. There's a staff-only airlock up front - once an inmate is in one of these blocks, they goddamn well stay there.

It reproduces well, with the luxury cells on the right working well as a gang holding area (put them on permanent lockdown) until you get a permanent block for them up. One of the only two deaths in the prison was a gang leader who popped off from permanent lockdown though, so heads up there. I guess I was lucky that he didn't spawn as Tough though, since when he lost it in his cell the armed guard nearby gave him two warnings and then a fatal blast of buckshot.

The only thing that isn't vanilla in here is that I downloaded a foreman in a box mod, because it's ridiculous that you can only have one foreman but it's totally cool to have a billion psychologists. Which I do take advantage of, one psychologist per block.

Prison at large right now. The big empty blocks on the left are the gang wings, I just build cells as needed for them. One gang per wing, overwatched by snipers in the yard (which is where they spend like half their day), keeps them away from the general population.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

One thing I'll never get is how some of these good prisons are fine with some of their stuff so tightly spaced. Like with that canteen, I try to add a space between benches so it's "bench-table-bench-space" and so on. Same with the kitchen and other stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Normally that would bother me a lot but aesthetically this game is a complete cluster so after a certain point I just stopped caring.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wish it was more clear what objects need what spaces around them to be open; it looks like you've got all the cookers packed together and that doesn't make any sense, but I've had problems correctly fitting ironing boards into my laundry rooms before.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah generally speaking you can just cram everything together and don't give a crap. If there's an issue with it the game will tell you by putting a flashing exclamation point over the object.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Yeah generally speaking you can just cram everything together and don't give a crap. If there's an issue with it the game will tell you by putting a flashing exclamation point over the object.

Welp, I guess I can do the cram... Right after I figure out how to lay out cells and if I want to run dorms for MinSec.

Speaking of, is it true that dormitories are just holding cells for longer periods? And should I just treat them as such?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Well a holding cell for a longer period is just called a cell so...yes?

The only substantive difference between a cell and a dormitory is that a cell holds EXACTLY one prisoner and will therefore satisfy the Privacy need

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh my god they've finally fixed the sprite alignment issues with fridges, metal detectors etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D45ZJFHRaojs

("Content" starts about 16 minutes in)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god they've finally fixed the sprite alignment issues with fridges, metal detectors etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D45ZJFHRaojs

("Content" starts about 16 minutes in)

Your link is all jacked up. And when fixed to work, leads to an unavailable video.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ZJFHRaojs

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Prison Architect is only €14 on GoG for the next 16 hours:

https://www.gog.com/promo/20160530_weekly_staff_picks_brick_and_mortar

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Can someone just summarise what is said in this video as it's mainly just rambling poo poo

All I got was that they're going to release Prison Architect 2.0 within the next 4 to 5 months because they want to make PA a classic simulator that people will still play even 10 years down the line

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
To that end, they will be hiring The Toady One as a consultant. He will do work on his game and theirs simultaneously, taking inspiration from each to improve the other.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Hezzy posted:

Can someone just summarise what is said in this video as it's mainly just rambling poo poo

All I got was that they're going to release Prison Architect 2.0 within the next 4 to 5 months because they want to make PA a classic simulator that people will still play even 10 years down the line

I think that was basically it, yes. And this update was a massive bugfix. I'm kinda glad they're gonna do a series of bugfixes, hopefully a bunch of UI optimisations too. (Why doesn't the prison temperature open the needs screen when clicked :argh:)

I think if they really want this game to last, though, they're going to need to add a scenario editor. I'm pretty sure they said it was already possible with modding (even including your own cutscenes!) but hopefully they make it more accessible than that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is there any way to kill troublesome Legendary prisoners? I have one guy who is extremely strong, extremely tough, fearless, extremely voliatile, and instigator and an expert fighter. He killed a random prisoner on his first day and when the punishment for that was over he killed about 4 people, including an armed guard, and almost started a riot.

I've tried having a armed guard outside the solitary cell and have freefire on constantly but he always seems to survive the shots. I've tried locking the door down so he can't get food but he usually goes berserk soon enough and breaks down the door with his fist. I tried building a easily escapable cell within view of a sniper tower or two and get him transferred there but he would always go berserk again before the could be moved and get sent back to solitary. Makes me wish i was playing Dwarf Fortress so I could just cause cave in on his head or lock him in a room with a pack of starved hounds.

TheObserver posted:

To that end, they will be hiring The Toady One as a consultant. He will do work on his game and theirs simultaneously, taking inspiration from each to improve the other.

The Toady One is not for hire. In order to earn his help you must dig yourself deep underground while heavily intoxicated and make geese lay chairs instead of eggs.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 25, 2016

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is there any way to kill troublesome Legendary prisoners?

Throw him in solitary and then wall in the door. Without pathing for food, he'll starve to death in a few days.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Turns out that putting two armed guards with him in the solitary cell and then locking the door until he threw a hissy fit over not being able to sleep or poop did the job.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Turns out that putting two armed guards with him in the solitary cell and then locking the door until he threw a hissy fit over not being able to sleep or poop did the job.

That seems like a risk considering he had a non-zero chance of getting a gun in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If that had happened I would've just spawned in another armed guard right on top of him.

• Locked thread